to speak or not to speak  

68 members have voted

1. 1. that is the question

• witty come back
    • ignore the jerks

61 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Alhamdulilah, my husband has been here quite a while (one year tomorrow :dance: ). Unfortunatley, we didn't make it to the one year mark without his first encounter with blatent bigots. :ranting: We were stopped at a light yesterday, windows rolled down to enjoy the beautiful unfall like weather. A bunch of lovely young gentlemen were standing by the bar on the corner. My husband glanced in their direction and was treated to a "Sand ***! You wife's a towel head!" :dead: He didn't understand what they said at first, and after I explained it, alhamduililah, he took it well and chose to ignore them.

I, on the other hand, was attempting to come up with some witty responses to throw back, but alas, my brain doesn't like to work under pressure. The light changed and I drove off without saying anything.

So, in a situation like this, would you attempt to throw back a witty response or would you ignore them? What would you say if you would chose to respond? I'm not a mean person (despite my mean girl role here), so I don't want anything that's too rude or nasty, just something to play with their minds. One would think I would already have ready responses to these things, considering I've heard them all before, but meh. I'm looking for responses to the following common slurs:

Sand ***

Towel Head

Rag Head

Camel Jockey

Edited by rahma

10/14/05 - married AbuS in the US lovehusband.gif

02/23/08 - Filed for removal of conditions.

Sometime in 2008 - Received 10 year GC. Almost done with USCIS for life inshaAllah! Huzzah!

12/07/08 - Adopted the fuzzy feline love of my life, my Squeaky baby th_catcrazy.gif

02/23/09 - Apply for citizenship

06/15/09 - Citizenship interview

07/15/09 - Citizenship ceremony. Alhamdulilah, the US now has another american muslim!

irhal.jpg

online rihla - on the path of the Beloved with a fat cat as a copilot

These comments, information and photos may not be reused, reposted, or republished anywhere without express written permission from UmmSqueakster.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

People who say stuff like this don't even deserve a response! They are just afraid of what they know nothing about. The sad thing is, is that people like that go through life never really knowing what's out there. I also think people like that are afraid that others are going to be or are better than them and they have to make others feel insecure and below them, not knowing that when others hear that they strive even harder to be better! So all in all people like that are really at the bottom, while others are rising to the top to be all they can.

Adil & Janine

06/17/06- Wedding

08/16/06- I-130 and EAD sent with AOS packet

08/24/06- I-130, EAD, I-485 recieved

08/28/06- NOA1 for I-130, EAD, and I-485

09/01/06- Recieved boimetrics appointment letter

09/07/06- Biometrics appointment

10/24/06- Recieved letter for initial interview

11/21/06- EAD approved

11/27/06- EAD Recieved!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

11/30/06- Touched- NOA for EAD sent

12/01/06- I-130 and I-485 Touched

12/20/06- Initial interview

12/20/06- APPROVED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (4 months!)

12/27/06- Recieved NOA2 for I-130

12/27/06- Recieved welcome letter

12/27/06- I-485 touched, New card ordered

01/03/06- PERMANENT RESIDENT CARD RECIEVED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!YAY!!!

09/18/08- Sent I-751... hopefully I did it corectly!

09/something... recieved NOA1 for I-751

10/16/08- Recieved biometrics appointment letter

10/25/08- Biometrics appontment!

03/19/09- Recieved letter stating I-751 transfered to CSC

03/30/09- I-751 approved!

04/02/09- Recieved approval letter

04/30/09- Recieved new card

10/14/09- Sent N-400... the wait begins again.....

10/24/09- Recieved NOA receipt letter

02/05/10- Recieved Fingerprint notification

02/23/10- Fingerprinting appointment

04/07/10- N-400 Interview

10/07/10- Request for aditional evidencce

02/07/11- Oath Ceremony letter arrives!!!!!!!!!!

02/18/11- Oath Ceremony!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
So, in a situation like this, would you attempt to throw back a witty response or would you ignore them? What would you say if you would chose to respond?

Ok, I definitely would not be a good role model in a situation like this. If I were by myself and in the car, I would probably have parked the car, gotten out and asked them what their problem was with me. Who knows what would've happened then, but I have a temper and I would not back down, even if I were putting myself in danger.

If Wadi were with me, he would've gotten out of the car, punched him in the face, and we'd be on our way.

I realize this is not the best way to go about things, but those would most likely be our honest reactions...

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Algeria
Timeline
Sand ***

Towel Head

Rag Head

Camel Jockey

Funny you wrote those Rahma cos I have been called all of those and more... and :lol: I am not even Arab... so I guess 2 out of 4 of those would not even apply to me. I like the one, where they ask you can you understand English? I reply no, I donnot speak English...but funny enough they donnot get the joke generally. :huh::lol: But for me, I guess depending on the situation I would reply with a all so witty funny comment,(I would not tell them off) just make them laugh but also think at the same time...Yea I am a human too ;) But I have been actually called a "bad name" and pushed onto the train tracks at a train station (elhamdullah there was no train) ... so generally when I am alone and not in my "hood" I tend to be quite. :whistle:

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

130 views and only 15 votes? Come on people, speak up!

10/14/05 - married AbuS in the US lovehusband.gif

02/23/08 - Filed for removal of conditions.

Sometime in 2008 - Received 10 year GC. Almost done with USCIS for life inshaAllah! Huzzah!

12/07/08 - Adopted the fuzzy feline love of my life, my Squeaky baby th_catcrazy.gif

02/23/09 - Apply for citizenship

06/15/09 - Citizenship interview

07/15/09 - Citizenship ceremony. Alhamdulilah, the US now has another american muslim!

irhal.jpg

online rihla - on the path of the Beloved with a fat cat as a copilot

These comments, information and photos may not be reused, reposted, or republished anywhere without express written permission from UmmSqueakster.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: India
Timeline
Alhamdulilah, my husband has been here quite a while (one year tomorrow :dance: ). Unfortunatley, we didn't make it to the one year mark without his first encounter with blatent bigots. :ranting: We were stopped at a light yesterday, windows rolled down to enjoy the beautiful unfall like weather. A bunch of lovely young gentlemen were standing by the bar on the corner. My husband glanced in their direction and was treated to a "Sand ***! You wife's a towel head!" :dead: He didn't understand what they said at first, and after I explained it, alhamduililah, he took it well and chose to ignore them.

I, on the other hand, was attempting to come up with some witty responses to throw back, but alas, my brain doesn't like to work under pressure. The light changed and I drove off without saying anything.

So, in a situation like this, would you attempt to throw back a witty response or would you ignore them? What would you say if you would chose to respond? I'm not a mean person (despite my mean girl role here), so I don't want anything that's too rude or nasty, just something to play with their minds. One would think I would already have ready responses to these things, considering I've heard them all before, but meh. I'm looking for responses to the following common slurs:

Sand ***

Towel Head

Rag Head

Camel Jockey

When some idiot treats you in a degrading fashion, it's hard to resist the urge to get a little satisfaction by illustrating what a fool they are. Witty comebacks to throw at them are comforting, but the bottom line is that there is nothing funny about ethnic slurs that bigots throw around, and bigots being hateful by nature, can be damn dangerous people. You did well to ignore them and drive on in this situation, you kept yourself and your husband safe.

A witty remark can be taken lightly, and racism isn't a light topic. I find that I don't want bigots to feel foolish, I want them to feel deep shame, and most of all I want them to feel the desire to change. I tend to try to come up with words to use to that end -when it will not endanger me- so i'm afraid I have no wit to offer you. When you do find those witty comebacks, use them for obnoxious co-workers and relatives. Stay safe from the thugs on the corner. ~Asha

14 July 05 - "wow! now THAT is a first kiss"

23 March 06 - "let's get married!"

22 August 06 - "here we go, I129F for K1 to NSC today"

13 January 07 - "Visa in hand!!"

02 March 07 - Joy "I Do!" Judge "what about you?" Asha "Me Too!" Judge "OK then, you're married!!"

13 April 07 - "Uncle Sam, here's the papers."

21 June 07 - "application transferred to CSC, Yippie!"

07 July 07 - "why yes, that is a conditional Permanent Resident card in my hand!"

08 April 09 - will file to lift conditions

usaCa.gif

Filed: Timeline

Sand ***

Towel Head

Rag Head

Camel Jockey

When some idiot treats you in a degrading fashion, it's hard to resist the urge to get a little satisfaction by illustrating what a fool they are. Witty comebacks to throw at them are comforting, but the bottom line is that there is nothing funny about ethnic slurs that bigots throw around, and bigots being hateful by nature, can be damn dangerous people. You did well to ignore them and drive on in this situation, you kept yourself and your husband safe.

A witty remark can be taken lightly, and racism isn't a light topic. I find that I don't want bigots to feel foolish, I want them to feel deep shame, and most of all I want them to feel the desire to change. I tend to try to come up with words to use to that end -when it will not endanger me- so i'm afraid I have no wit to offer you. When you do find those witty comebacks, use them for obnoxious co-workers and relatives. Stay safe from the thugs on the corner. ~Asha

I agree with this a million percent.

I've had a few experiences myself...

I was shopping at Old Navy minding my biznaz when some guy decided it was nice to tell me I looked like a terrorist. He came so close to me and basically whispered it in my ear. I had my back to him so I didn't notice him until I heard his words. He walked away and I snapped back..well you look like a racist SOB!!!

I was standing on my front porch and some kids drove by and yelled...BINLADEN'S WIFE!!!!

I was standing in line at the store and the ppl behind me thought it was funny to loudly discuss their pork eating plans. It was very blatant. I just laughed inside myself thinking..do they think that insults me?

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

I was shopping at Old Navy minding my biznaz when some guy decided it was nice to tell me I looked like a terrorist. He came so close to me and basically whispered it in my ear. I had my back to him so I didn't notice him until I heard his words. He walked away and I snapped back..well you look like a racist SOB!!!

I was standing on my front porch and some kids drove by and yelled...BINLADEN'S WIFE!!!!

I was standing in line at the store and the ppl behind me thought it was funny to loudly discuss their pork eating plans. It was very blatant. I just laughed inside myself thinking..do they think that insults me?

Ok that puzzles me since by your picture you don't even look Arabic at all so why target you?

Anyway I agree that silence is the best solution along with bigtime du'as for Allah to heal their hearts.

12/28/06 - got married :)

02/05/07 - I-130 NOA1

02/21/07 - I-129 NOA1

04/09/07 - I-130 and I-129F approval email sent!!!!

04/26/07 - Packet 3 received

06/16/07 - Medical Examination

06/26/07 - Packet 3 SUBMITTED FINALLY!!!!

07/07/07 - Received pkt 4

07/22/07 - interview consular never bothered to show up for work.

07/29/07 - interview.

4_6_109v.gif

Ron Paul 2008

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Algeria
Timeline

I think the best thing to do would be ignore them. There are people that have anger issues that would not think twice about pulling a gun or a knife and using them in confronted. They were waiting for a response from you. Just smile and wave and go on your way. They will be disappointed they did not get a confrontation.

Meriem (F)

glitterfy200428648Z.gif

Sand ***

Towel Head

Rag Head

Camel Jockey

I wouldn't respond to it. They just want a reaction and if you respond, you've given them exactly what they were looking for. Plus, you never know if they could be dangerous.

24 June 2007: Leaving day/flying to Dallas-Fort Worth

Add a hijab...look at my personal pic..that's what the ppl see. They see a Muslim woman. Muslim=terrorist, binladen, etc. to ignorant ppl.

Ok that puzzles me since by your picture you don't even look Arabic at all so why target you?

Anyway I agree that silence is the best solution along with bigtime du'as for Allah to heal their hearts.

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline
Add a hijab...look at my personal pic..that's what the ppl see. They see a Muslim woman. Muslim=terrorist, binladen, etc. to ignorant ppl.

Oh ok. I was going by the pic in your avatar. That's scarey that it happened right on your front porch! I know this is an excuse but that is one reason why it will take me quite a while to gain the courage to wear the hijab. :(

12/28/06 - got married :)

02/05/07 - I-130 NOA1

02/21/07 - I-129 NOA1

04/09/07 - I-130 and I-129F approval email sent!!!!

04/26/07 - Packet 3 received

06/16/07 - Medical Examination

06/26/07 - Packet 3 SUBMITTED FINALLY!!!!

07/07/07 - Received pkt 4

07/22/07 - interview consular never bothered to show up for work.

07/29/07 - interview.

4_6_109v.gif

Ron Paul 2008

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.