to speak or not to speak  

68 members have voted

1. 1. that is the question

• witty come back
    • ignore the jerks

61 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline
:blink: I can't stand the stupidity and ignorance of some folks!!! TOLERANCE, PEOPLE, TOLERANCE! I really would have wanted to spout something back at them, but it would do no good, particularly given the circumstances. The best reply, I guess, would be silence - not giving them the satisfaction of getting a rise out of you. They will get what's coming to them, it's just too bad you may not get to revel in it! :blush:

Met briefly in Baton Rouge, LA Nov. 2003 - not available :(

Met again in Baton Rouge, LA March 25, 2005 - 2 souls feel as 1

Sept 17-Oct 3, 2005 Noura goes to Morocco to meet family & friends of Said (informally engaged)

Daily phonecalls, discover internet chatting w/ video cam - OMG!!!

March 25-April 14, 2006 Noura's 2nd trip to Morocco - formal engagement w/ family

April 24, 2006- mailed in K1 Visa package - TSC

Oct 5, 2006 - Interview SUCCESS

Oct 12, 2006 - Called to pick up visa tomorrow!

Oct. 16, 2006 VISA IN HAND!

Dec. 24, 2006 - Said arrives in NOLA, just in time for the holidaze!

Dec. 31, 2006 - OUR WEDDING!!! Ringing in a New Year as husband & wife!

Jan 8, 2007 - applied for SSN

Jan 15, 2007 - recieved SSN

Feb 6, 2007 - checks cashed for AOS/EAD/AP - YAY!

Feb 8, 2007 - NOA1 on AOS/EAD/AP

Feb 14, 07 - touched EAD/AP

March 8, 07 - Biometrics appt in NOLA

April 17, 07 - AP approved

April 19, 07 - EAD approved

glitter_maker_12_25_2006_00_00_12_97213.gif

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would ignore them, only because i have heard of numerous instances where people got killed simply because they were arab...everytime i meet someone and they find out im married to an arab muslim man...they always have to ask...why do the women cover up like that? i laugh it off, and then the other person follows up with..."Well isnt it a little hot to be dressed like that?" or..." dont u think those women would smell being dressed like that?" ahh the ignorance of some people kills me

Filed DCF in Jordan from 7-05 to 3-06, Approved for I-R1.

Immigration Free until 2008.

Two Hearts, Two Different Places, Sharing One Dream

We were strangers~ Starting out on a journey~Never dreaming What we'd have to go through ~Now here we are ~ And I'm suddenly standing ~ At the beginning with you ~ No one told me I was going to find you ~ Unexpected ~ What you did to my heart ~ When I lost hope You were there to remind me ~ This is the start ~ Life is a road And I want to keep going ~ Love is a river I wanna keep flowing ~ Life is a road Now and forever ~ Wonderful journey ~ I'll be there When the world stops turning~ I'll be there When the storm is through ~ In the end I wanna be standing At the beginning with you~

.png

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

I would be sooo temped to get out and say something but in the end I would probably just resort to silence, meaning that I would extend my middle finger out the window and wave it around some.

The more food you give a monkey, the more poo it has to sling.

:lol::lol:

Am not muslim and nothing about me screams pagan so racism I am lucky not to have to deal with. Plenty of times here however that groups of people think it's ok to belittle, sneer and generally insult others. I say nothing, these days not because I am much afraid, but because I kinda feel sorry for them.

It's always the same people, the chav types. I think, you are no threat to me - you have no ambition, you will go nowhere and do nothing with your life and then blame it on everyone else. What a sad way to be! Muslims, those born into culture or grow into it by their own discovery, that already shows more enrichment on your life than they have. That's before all your other achievements and pride in your life!

If there was an item of clothing that denoted me as pagan, even if it might cause trouble I'd wear it. I understand compleatly why people won't be bullied into removing them.

mooglesmall2-1-1.jpgDelicioussig.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
I would be sooo temped to get out and say something but in the end I would probably just resort to silence, meaning that I would extend my middle finger out the window and wave it around some.

:lol:

Filed: Country: Jordan
Timeline

So, in a situation like this, would you attempt to throw back a witty response or would you ignore them? What would you say if you would chose to respond?

Ok, I definitely would not be a good role model in a situation like this. If I were by myself and in the car, I would probably have parked the car, gotten out and asked them what their problem was with me. Who knows what would've happened then, but I have a temper and I would not back down, even if I were putting myself in danger.

If Wadi were with me, he would've gotten out of the car, punched him in the face, and we'd be on our way.

I realize this is not the best way to go about things, but those would most likely be our honest reactions...

:lol: You sound like me Jenn.

I know my husband he would have gotten out and try to fight in that case I'll probably call my brothers and cousins and waited until they got there and let them and anmar deal with it.

If anyone pulled off my scarf( i don't wear one) but it would be like someone pulling my hair I would turn around and bust them in the face. Considering I grew up on an Indian Reservation and it's eye for eye there that would be my reaction.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

So, in a situation like this, would you attempt to throw back a witty response or would you ignore them? What would you say if you would chose to respond?

Ok, I definitely would not be a good role model in a situation like this. If I were by myself and in the car, I would probably have parked the car, gotten out and asked them what their problem was with me. Who knows what would've happened then, but I have a temper and I would not back down, even if I were putting myself in danger.

If Wadi were with me, he would've gotten out of the car, punched him in the face, and we'd be on our way.

I realize this is not the best way to go about things, but those would most likely be our honest reactions...

:lol: You sound like me Jenn.

I know my husband he would have gotten out and try to fight in that case I'll probably call my brothers and cousins and waited until they got there and let them and anmar deal with it.

If anyone pulled off my scarf( i don't wear one) but it would be like someone pulling my hair I would turn around and bust them in the face. Considering I grew up on an Indian Reservation and it's eye for eye there that would be my reaction.

I'm glad to know I'm not the only loose cannon! :lol:

I know I get it from my mother. :D

I voted that you should ignore the jerks because that is the right thing to do......That's not necessarily what I would do though. I would (and have) turned to them and said.."that's a very ingenious remark...If I WERE arabian and not AMERICAN it might actually make some sense" (now, mind you ...for those who are wondering....its not an accurate statement..but it it stupid ppl that make the remarks ... so all it really is is a way to tell them they are stupid .... it gets the point accross to them and i've never had a stupid comeback out of it.

When I have been out with my husband and someone said "camel jockey" I looked around 360 degrees and said..."oh thank you for reminding me...we lost our camel, have you seen him?"

Visited Jordan-December 2004

Interview-December 2005

Visa approved-December 2005, 1 week later after supplying "more information"

Arrived U.S.A.-December 2005

Removed Conditions-September 2008

Divorced in December 2013

lovingmemory.jpgInlovingmemory-2.gifmybabygirl-1-1.jpghenna_rose.jpg37320lovesaved-1.jpg

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Algeria
Timeline
Alhamdulilah, my husband has been here quite a while (one year tomorrow :dance: ). Unfortunatley, we didn't make it to the one year mark without his first encounter with blatent bigots. :ranting: We were stopped at a light yesterday, windows rolled down to enjoy the beautiful unfall like weather. A bunch of lovely young gentlemen were standing by the bar on the corner. My husband glanced in their direction and was treated to a "Sand ***! You wife's a towel head!" :dead: He didn't understand what they said at first, and after I explained it, alhamduililah, he took it well and chose to ignore them.

I, on the other hand, was attempting to come up with some witty responses to throw back, but alas, my brain doesn't like to work under pressure. The light changed and I drove off without saying anything.

So, in a situation like this, would you attempt to throw back a witty response or would you ignore them? What would you say if you would chose to respond? I'm not a mean person (despite my mean girl role here), so I don't want anything that's too rude or nasty, just something to play with their minds. One would think I would already have ready responses to these things, considering I've heard them all before, but meh. I'm looking for responses to the following common slurs:

Sand ***

Towel Head

Rag Head

Camel Jockey

Rahma i wouldnt stoop to thier level.....

i think by ignoring them you are setting a good example. one of the hardest things Jesus says to do is turn your cheek and let them slap the other one too. this is one of my downfalls in my personality because it is so hard to do. i am sorry that happened to you and your husband. unfortunately, things are in this world are the way they are and with our country being at war with some arab countries and after what happened on 9/11 there is alot of animosity. :( i hope this passes one day. i have been thinking about samir and how they would react to him here. i am worried that someone will hurt his feelings. i dont care what they say to me but, i have to say that if someone said a mean thing to him or about him it would hurt me more than it would hurt him. :(

glitter_maker_12_28_2006_10_08_52_29516.gif

us3.jpg

Copy_of_Algeriaflagsamir.gif

usaflagshannon.gif

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline
I voted that you should ignore the jerks because that is the right thing to do......That's not necessarily what I would do though. I would (and have) turned to them and said.."that's a very ingenious remark...If I WERE arabian and not AMERICAN it might actually make some sense" (now, mind you ...for those who are wondering....its not an accurate statement..but it it stupid ppl that make the remarks ... so all it really is is a way to tell them they are stupid .... it gets the point accross to them and i've never had a stupid comeback out of it.

When I have been out with my husband and someone said "camel jockey" I looked around 360 degrees and said..."oh thank you for reminding me...we lost our camel, have you seen him?"

:lol:

'Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Chardonnay in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO HOO, What a Ride'

Filed: Timeline

I haven't gotten those responses from anyone so I can't say how I'd react. Most people are very nice to me.... cuz I'm such a sweet heart :P ... the worst I get (constantly) is being mistaken for a nun and being called sister (with two kids in tow :unsure: ) and that's not really an insult it's just hard to come back from that after I've explained it's not the case.

I'm sure I would have had a little snicker at the drunks sitting around at a bar with nothing better to do besides slinging insults at people in a car.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Algeria
Timeline
I haven't gotten those responses from anyone so I can't say how I'd react. Most people are very nice to me.... cuz I'm such a sweet heart :P ... the worst I get (constantly) is being mistaken for a nun and being called sister (with two kids in tow :unsure: ) and that's not really an insult it's just hard to come back from that after I've explained it's not the case.

I'm sure I would have had a little snicker at the drunks sitting around at a bar with nothing better to do besides slinging insults at people in a car.

VP a nun? :lol::lol::lol:

glitter_maker_12_28_2006_10_08_52_29516.gif

us3.jpg

Copy_of_Algeriaflagsamir.gif

usaflagshannon.gif

• 5 months later...
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

I've been called many things and I'm white, russian (or so called russian) and don't wear a hijab.

In the store with people around me, i'd scream 'rape' as loud as i could!!! And see how fast the idiot would run!

With the bar jerks - I'd do nothing. I'd drive off and then say something to myself just to get it out.

When I was younger, I'd get into an argument or even a fight, but now I'm wiser (or I'd like to think that I am).

Now, if it's somebody I don't know - I wouldn't stoop to their level! I wouldn't give them the satisfaction!

With my patients - at least, one of them, it's no use trying to change her! She calls muslims bad names, I've tried and tried to explain stuff to her (I started working with her when I wasn't a muslim), but there's just no point! I just laugh inside when she says, that no 'monkeys' or something in that order would work there! I'm thinking 'kiss my ...s".

I'm bad with translations, but i'll try to give you a couple of russian sayings, that get me by in a case like that:

"you can't say 'bles you' every time someone's sneezing"; "you can't cover stranger's mouth to stop them form saying something" and my favorite that i know translated into russian (i'm translating it back) 'let the mad dog pass' or 'let the mad dogs lay'.

My mom was very sick and couldn't learn english. So once at the store we got blamed for speaking russian by one woman. She was complaining that we're supposed to speak english and how many damn foregners there are here. I wasn't going to start explaining to her, that my mom is critically sick and has too much medicine to remember sh...

But people in two lines took our side and telling that woman that she or someone in her family was a foregner sometime ago too and she shouldn't be that harsh. We won in that case, but I still feel bad when i think about this. Mind you, my mom passed away a few years ago already.

So, my point is, choose your battles, girls!

Met online - May 2004

Met in person - August 2004

Got married - May 2005

Filed I-130 - July 2005

Filed I-129 - August 2005

Interview - February 2006 - 221(g) - still under investigation.

Another useless interview - July 2006 - got nowhere!

August 23, 2007 - he's finally here!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

Sorry for digging up an old post - my msn thing is being crazy, just showing me old posts. No idea, why. I didn't look at the date, so much for being wise :jest: :jest: :jest:

Met online - May 2004

Met in person - August 2004

Got married - May 2005

Filed I-130 - July 2005

Filed I-129 - August 2005

Interview - February 2006 - 221(g) - still under investigation.

Another useless interview - July 2006 - got nowhere!

August 23, 2007 - he's finally here!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

Trust me, this is coming from someone who has been in this situation too many time. Your answer should depend on several thing: 1. How many people you have with you, 2. Do you want to fight, 3. You've had a sh!##* day, 4. You want to embarrass them, 5. If you have enough time, and the most important; 6. You are too religious/pious to deal with ignorance...

The simple thing to do is ignore them. The easiest thing to do is the silent but deadly middle finger. However, nothing hurts their feelings more than the good ole "Your momma!" All these things will make them shut up or want to fight you. Either way you've done your job.

True story from Atlanta, GA... Two guys standing on a corner (one black;me and the other white). The white guy saw a van full of muslimahs wearing hijab. He yelled, "Look at those rag heads." The car stopped and six women got out. By the way, 2 are white, 1 is black and 3 are arabs. I made it clear I was not with him , I said salam, and went into the store to get my friends to see what was about to happen. They wore hijabs but they were not very religious if you get what I mean. That was one fight he wish he never had. I should have stopped it but that day I was not very religious either......

I think I was late filing for AOS:

07/27/07: Mailed AOS papers to Chicago mailbox.

08/02/07: AOS papers received in Chicago.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.