to speak or not to speak  

68 members have voted

1. 1. that is the question

• witty come back
    • ignore the jerks

61 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Jordan
Timeline

I have a question for you Moody and anyone else this applies to can answer as well. Why do you wear a hijab? I thought it was for modestly purposes if I am correct. If that is the reason then is it ok to post a photo of yourself on the net without hijab and stay within the rules? I am just curious because i have seen quite a few women here discuss the hijab and being conservative yet I see many of their photos on VJ without hijab. Is that allowed or ok? If I am getting to personal just smack me around... :lol:

Please don't take this the wrong way, I'm just wondering.

~jordanian_princess~

October 19, 2006 - Interview! No Visa yet....on A/Psigns038.gif

ticker.png

Jordanian Cat

jordaniancat.jpg

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline

I would react the same way as jenn.

I would ask them what their problem is....I have a bad temper too.

I never got offended by anyone in the States though. I get a lot of dirty looks in germany cause I dont look like a typical german girl.

blackribbonsmall.png

Walk with the angels

let them keep you safe

we'll join you one day

in that wonderful place

stand on the clouds and never forget

we're holding on to you

in our memories and thoughts

until one day we'll meet again

Truly missed but never forgotten:

Diana

RIP 1982-08/2008

Verena

RIP 1983-03/2008

Daddy

RIP

"IMMIGRATION" PROCESS (TIMELINE):CLICK HERE

Filed: Timeline

To be honest there are some occasions when I don't wear it. I don't wear it inside work. I work with some very judgemental ppl. I know it's a cop out but it works for me. I dress conservatively otherwise. I posted a pic of myself without hijab because I felt it gave a better idea of what I look like. Myself, I always like to match a face to a personality. It's not like I posted a nudie pic or anything, lol.

I have a question for you Moody and anyone else this applies to can answer as well. Why do you wear a hijab? I thought it was for modestly purposes if I am correct. If that is the reason then is it ok to post a photo of yourself on the net without hijab and stay within the rules? I am just curious because i have seen quite a few women here discuss the hijab and being conservative yet I see many of their photos on VJ without hijab. Is that allowed or ok? If I am getting to personal just smack me around... :lol:

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

My gut reaction is to find something to say that will shame these people into not saying something like this again. But, I don't know if there is anything that I could say in that short amount of time that would accomplish this goal. If I were really brave, I wish I could stay calm enough to carry on a conversation with them to show them that we're really not all that different (ok, I'm not a racist #######, but we're both humans, right?). Unfortunately, I can never really do that. The last time I got something like this was in the groccery store when a gaggle of high teenagers thought it would be funny to pull of my scarf while we were waiting in the checkout line. I tried to say something, but all that could really come out was "why why why..." :help:

10/14/05 - married AbuS in the US lovehusband.gif

02/23/08 - Filed for removal of conditions.

Sometime in 2008 - Received 10 year GC. Almost done with USCIS for life inshaAllah! Huzzah!

12/07/08 - Adopted the fuzzy feline love of my life, my Squeaky baby th_catcrazy.gif

02/23/09 - Apply for citizenship

06/15/09 - Citizenship interview

07/15/09 - Citizenship ceremony. Alhamdulilah, the US now has another american muslim!

irhal.jpg

online rihla - on the path of the Beloved with a fat cat as a copilot

These comments, information and photos may not be reused, reposted, or republished anywhere without express written permission from UmmSqueakster.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Jordan
Timeline

Oh I know and I agree with what you are saying. I have a few muslim friends here and none of them wear hijab because they feel it attracks negative energy and they feel that they dress conservativly enough that they don't need to wear it and I agree. I have even heard that some Imam's have made calls out to women saying that if they feel they are in danger that they should not wear it, is that true?

To be honest there are some occasions when I don't wear it. I don't wear it inside work. I work with some very judgemental ppl. I know it's a cop out but it works for me. I dress conservatively otherwise. I posted a pic of myself without hijab because I felt it gave a better idea of what I look like. Myself, I always like to match a face to a personality. It's not like I posted a nudie pic or anything, lol.

My gut reaction is to find something to say that will shame these people into not saying something like this again. But, I don't know if there is anything that I could say in that short amount of time that would accomplish this goal. If I were really brave, I wish I could stay calm enough to carry on a conversation with them to show them that we're really not all that different (ok, I'm not a racist #######, but we're both humans, right?). Unfortunately, I can never really do that. The last time I got something like this was in the groccery store when a gaggle of high teenagers thought it would be funny to pull of my scarf while we were waiting in the checkout line. I tried to say something, but all that could really come out was "why why why..." :help:

Rahma no one has made any of these kinds of remarks to me in the recent years. However when I was growing up, we did get alot of that. In the early 80's there were not many arabs around here so it was common for people to make fun of us. If I had a nickel for everytime someone asked me if my dad wore a turban or owned a 7-11 or gas station I think I would be a billionaire. :yes:

~jordanian_princess~

October 19, 2006 - Interview! No Visa yet....on A/Psigns038.gif

ticker.png

Jordanian Cat

jordaniancat.jpg

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Okay, I voted to ignore the jerks, its the safest thing to do, plus we don't need to stoop to their level.

On the other hand, I would like to say (addressed to my husband loudly) "see honey, this is the effect of inbreeding that I was telling you about".

'Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Chardonnay in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO HOO, What a Ride'

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

I wouldn't give my energy to ingorant people like that. I am African American and I have been mistreated in the past too, so I can relate completely! People like that see Bin Laden and all the other ####### the media sensationalized and then unjustly groups all Arabs/Afghani's etc. in one group labeled "terrorists".

You are going to have to decide what's more important...using your strength to tell the racists off or using that energy to love life and love your family. Whenever you reply, you use energy that should be reserved for good things for your family or your fiance. Don't fall victim.

La Verdadera y El Sincero - Siempre

2005 - 2006 Spent falling in love

22 May 2006 My journey to Nigeria

24 May 2006 David proposes to me

9 June 2006 Mailed I129F to TSC

30 June 2006 NOA-1

Case Transferred to CSC

27 July 2006 Touched

5 Sept 2006 Called USCIS for case / IMBRA status

14 Sept 2006 Touched

19 Sept 2006 Touched Again!

23 Sept 2006 Received IMBRA RFE by postal mail (postmarked 20 Sept 2006)

25 Sept 2006 Response to IMBRA RFE sent Priority Mail w/Delivery Confirmation

29 Sept 2006 Rec'd Email stating RFE received

1 Oct 2006 Touched - Same RFE rec'd message

17 Oct 2006 NOA-2 Rec'd via Email

23 Oct 2006 NOA-2 Rec'd via Postal Mail

9 Nov 2006 Email from NVC (response to my inquiry) w/NVC case# - file to Lagos 6 Nov

13 Nov 2006 Received NVC letter via Postal Mail

20 Nov 2006 Fiance went to Lagos Consulate- Interview Date Received

7 Feb 2007 Interview-VISA GRANTED!!! -

12 Feb 2007 Visa in Hand!!! ***Scheduled arrival 23 Feb 2007***

23 Feb 2007 Arrived JFK USA!!!

12 May 2007 Married

23 May 2007 Filed AOS

25 May 2007 Rec'd NOA1

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
130 views and only 15 votes? Come on people, speak up!

Difference threatens some people; i have experienced and witnessed such situations on various levels;to put it short, 1st thing, think of your protection (i.e.: if you react, some can respond with violence...we can never anticipate that, so be careful); ultimately in such situations, i only ask myself for ex: what mandela would say or how would he react. Bassically he says (some of his writings/teachings) that he has no more hate, he reached a level tha is beyound that. So what does it mean? it means that racism or every type of such disturbing states of mind is contagious, it's more useful not to react in the same way they do.

So, be prepared to encouter more like that, and know how or what to do or say...Take care!!!

CR-1, VT- Canada

I-130:

25 Aug 06 - Sent I-130 (a Friday)

28 Aug 06 - NOA1 & Certif. receipt returned ( a Monday) Day 1

29 Aug 06 - USCIS cashes check

30 Aug 06 - check cleared & 1ST TOUCH.

01 Sept 06 - NOA1 recvd by Mail

09 Sept 06 - 2ND TOUCH (a Saturday)

09 Mai 07 - NOA2 (2 e-mails)

Note: were told the long delay due to huge backlog and internal changes in VT

NVC :

04-June-07 - NVC generates DS-3032 & AOS bill

12-June-07 - AOS Bill payment sent/ alien receives DS-3032 form (by mail, dated 4th June)

13-June-07 - Alien sends back completed DS-3032 (by mail)/ rcvd 19th of June approx.

To mid July-07 - I-864 form sent completed and IV fee bill

19-July-07 NVC rcv I-864 form; mail signature rcvd.

22-Aug-07 Ds-230 with documents sent to NVC.

20-Sep - 07 Alien sends NVC Missing document. NVC receives it the 25th.

05-Oct - 07 NVC completed.

16-Jan - 08 Interview, 3 questions asked, visa approved same day, received 1week later approx.

Note: delay due to internal delay, missing document (not rfe) and self procrastination of understanding some abstract terms. C Post not at all reliable (delivery duration, delivery with signature (did not deliver personnaly), and delivery of interview letter rcvd after the interview).

In USA:

01-03-08 POE Entry in USA

...-03-08 2 Welcome in America letters and green card received.

"What I know is that I know nothing"

Filed: Timeline

I really understand your feeling, but unfortunately people like this are so thick I doubt there are any words on earth sufficient to break through the mud in their heads and shine any kind of realization in their minds. The only way that will happen is if they are faced with it themselves one day. Otherwise its really a waste of breath. They just giggle and laugh, or as some have said, react violently. I laugh like its the funniest joke I've ever heard when someone says something blatantly ignorant and hurtful, shake my head and walk away.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

How bout saying "If you say so." Or something along those lines. Make it known that it doesn't bother you, even though it does. Sometimes people do stuff like this for kicks to see if they can get a rise.

Adil & Janine

06/17/06- Wedding

08/16/06- I-130 and EAD sent with AOS packet

08/24/06- I-130, EAD, I-485 recieved

08/28/06- NOA1 for I-130, EAD, and I-485

09/01/06- Recieved boimetrics appointment letter

09/07/06- Biometrics appointment

10/24/06- Recieved letter for initial interview

11/21/06- EAD approved

11/27/06- EAD Recieved!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

11/30/06- Touched- NOA for EAD sent

12/01/06- I-130 and I-485 Touched

12/20/06- Initial interview

12/20/06- APPROVED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (4 months!)

12/27/06- Recieved NOA2 for I-130

12/27/06- Recieved welcome letter

12/27/06- I-485 touched, New card ordered

01/03/06- PERMANENT RESIDENT CARD RECIEVED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!YAY!!!

09/18/08- Sent I-751... hopefully I did it corectly!

09/something... recieved NOA1 for I-751

10/16/08- Recieved biometrics appointment letter

10/25/08- Biometrics appontment!

03/19/09- Recieved letter stating I-751 transfered to CSC

03/30/09- I-751 approved!

04/02/09- Recieved approval letter

04/30/09- Recieved new card

10/14/09- Sent N-400... the wait begins again.....

10/24/09- Recieved NOA receipt letter

02/05/10- Recieved Fingerprint notification

02/23/10- Fingerprinting appointment

04/07/10- N-400 Interview

10/07/10- Request for aditional evidencce

02/07/11- Oath Ceremony letter arrives!!!!!!!!!!

02/18/11- Oath Ceremony!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

I think I could handle the work folk, though it would be hard. I would just threaten legal action if they ever said anything. What I could not handle though would be the flack that my kids would get at school. There are NO muslims in this town. As a matter of fact it's about 75% jewish and because of that they would get a LOT of flack from not only the teachers but the students that recognize that my wearing it means that I am muslim.

I never really thought of discrimination in the US until I became a muslim. I have blonde hair, blue eyes and tons of freckles so I don't look that different than most people around here. It's really sad. I cannot wait for the day when I can finally move to a place where there is a more heavy muslim population.

12/28/06 - got married :)

02/05/07 - I-130 NOA1

02/21/07 - I-129 NOA1

04/09/07 - I-130 and I-129F approval email sent!!!!

04/26/07 - Packet 3 received

06/16/07 - Medical Examination

06/26/07 - Packet 3 SUBMITTED FINALLY!!!!

07/07/07 - Received pkt 4

07/22/07 - interview consular never bothered to show up for work.

07/29/07 - interview.

4_6_109v.gif

Ron Paul 2008

Filed: Other Country: India
Timeline
Alhamdulilah, my husband has been here quite a while (one year tomorrow :dance: ). Unfortunatley, we didn't make it to the one year mark without his first encounter with blatent bigots. :ranting: We were stopped at a light yesterday, windows rolled down to enjoy the beautiful unfall like weather. A bunch of lovely young gentlemen were standing by the bar on the corner. My husband glanced in their direction and was treated to a "Sand ***! You wife's a towel head!" :dead: He didn't understand what they said at first, and after I explained it, alhamduililah, he took it well and chose to ignore them.

I, on the other hand, was attempting to come up with some witty responses to throw back, but alas, my brain doesn't like to work under pressure. The light changed and I drove off without saying anything.

So, in a situation like this, would you attempt to throw back a witty response or would you ignore them? What would you say if you would chose to respond? I'm not a mean person (despite my mean girl role here), so I don't want anything that's too rude or nasty, just something to play with their minds. One would think I would already have ready responses to these things, considering I've heard them all before, but meh. I'm looking for responses to the following common slurs:

Sand ***

Towel Head

Rag Head

Camel Jockey

I would ignore them in this particular case because

1. It wasn't just one person

2. they were standing by a bar

It would be very dangerous in my opinion to start anything back to these guys. If they had been drinking, people do very stupid things when drunk and I wouldn't risk my safety just to say something back to idiots like that.

I think the best thing to do would be ignore them. There are people that have anger issues that would not think twice about pulling a gun or a knife and using them in confronted. They were waiting for a response from you. Just smile and wave and go on your way. They will be disappointed they did not get a confrontation.

Meriem (F)

:thumbs:

I can't imagine ever being silent when faced with that sort of bigotry. Who will stand up to people like that?

When it's a group of men outside of a bar, do you really think it's safe to get out of your car and do something about it? :no: I mean if you want to yell something back, you better wait until your light is green in my opinion. It's not about being a wimp, it's about not putting yourself in more danger. People who yell those things are idiots and will remain idiots until they truly want to change. Getting in a fight won't help.

Edited by stina&suj

Married since 9-18-04(All K1 visa & GC details in timeline.)

Ishu tum he mere Prabhu:::Jesus you are my Lord

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

I can't imagine ever being silent when faced with that sort of bigotry. Who will stand up to people like that?

When it's a group of men outside of a bar, do you really think it's safe to get out of your car and do something about it? :no: I mean if you want to yell something back, you better wait until your light is green in my opinion. It's not about being a wimp, it's about not putting yourself in more danger. People who yell those things are idiots and will remain idiots until they truly want to change. Getting in a fight won't help.

Oh, you're completely right, it's dangerous. But it's my darn temper. It's gotten me into some sticky situations before in circumstances very similar to this one. I just can't keep quiet.

ETA: It's not a good idea to stand up to these types. But on the other hand, in my experience, when I have stood up to them, they were completely taken aback. Turns out they were all talk and were put in their place by a girl. ;)

Edited by jenn3539

Filed: Other Country: India
Timeline

Oh, you're completely right, it's dangerous. But it's my darn temper. It's gotten me into some sticky situations before in circumstances very similar to this one. I just can't keep quiet.

My sister is like that too. :P She is so small though (5 foot), but she can be fiesty :lol: . I on the other hand am a giant compared to her (5'7") and I am more quiet about things.

Married since 9-18-04(All K1 visa & GC details in timeline.)

Ishu tum he mere Prabhu:::Jesus you are my Lord

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.