cheekyerica

Passport photo size snafu--what can I do?

7 posts in this topic

Hi all, :blush:

I've been a lurker on the forum but I've just found out I made a mistake and I'm wondering if anyone can let me know what I can do to fix it.

In November we mailed in our I-130(including the G-325a) for my husband (UKC) to the London Embassy (we're doing a DCF).

I only had it brought to my attention today that we used the wrong size passport photos (we used English instead of US).

I didn't realize that they were supposed to be 2x2 and so they are the default UK size (which is smaller and not a square--its rectangular). I feel like a total moron. :wacko:

So Now we're both worrying what that means for us...does anyone know:

1) How strict they are on the photos being the exact size?

2) If there is a way I can send in replacements?

(*we haven't gotten our approval or a case # yet so I'm not sure how they'd know what it was for unless they do it by surname)

3) Any idea what this snag might mean in the terms of time for things to be processed?

Will we be put back at the beginning and wait another 3 months for it to be processed again?

(I wouldn't ask except that we're trying to figure how this affects our timeline for moving & shipping our things out of the country etc.)

I'd be very grateful for anyone else's experience and information.

E

IR-1 DCF@London

Nov-9-2011 Mailed I-130

Nov-23-2011 Charged for I-130

Nov-30-2011 Rec'd email confirmation

Feb-18-2012 Rec'd notice I-130 accepted

Mar-12-2012 Rec'd Case #

Mar-16-2012 Mailed DS-230s & DS-2001

Mar-21-2012 Medical Appointment

May -9-2012 Visa Interview...Approved! :)

June 18th ...Fly home~~

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Moved from IR-1/CR-1 Process & Procedures to DCF forum; OP filed petition at the USCIS field office in London.

My answers to your questions are in bold and italic.

**I do not know how strict USCIS is with the passport photo size when a petition is filed at an overseas field office, perhaps someone else will know.**

2) If there is a way I can send in replacements?[/b]

(*we haven't gotten our approval or a case # yet so I'm not sure how they'd know what it was for unless they do it by surname)

Contact the USCIS field office in London and explain what happened; they may instruct you on what to do next.

3) Any idea what this snag might mean in the terms of time for things to be processed?

Will we be put back at the beginning and wait another 3 months for it to be processed again?

(I wouldn't ask except that we're trying to figure how this affects our timeline for moving & shipping our things out of the country etc.)

While it may cause a small delay, it will not cause your file to go back to the start and cause you to wait.

Edited by Ryan H

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

I've been a lurker on the forum but I've just found out I made a mistake and I'm wondering if anyone can let me know what I can do to fix it.

In November we mailed in our I-130(including the G-325a) for my husband (UKC) to the London Embassy (we're doing a DCF).

I only had it brought to my attention today that we used the wrong size passport photos (we used English instead of US).

I didn't realize that they were supposed to be 2x2 and so they are the default UK size (which is smaller and not a square--its rectangular). I feel like a total moron. :wacko:

So Now we're both worrying what that means for us...does anyone know:

1) How strict they are on the photos being the exact size?

2) If there is a way I can send in replacements?

I'd be very grateful for anyone else's experience and information.

E

I'm not sure if there's a difference by doing DCF, but when my package was sent to USCIS, I also didn't realise at the time that my pictures weren't 2x2 (they were Canadian sizes). I only realised this afterwards, but hoped it wouldn't generate a RFE. And it didn't! I've seen other cases as well where the passport pictures were sent in, not 2x2, and were approved. I'd suggest calling the London embassy and asking. For the I-130, it might be okay. But I'd suggest for the other packages, definitely get your pictures done 2x2.

I'm not sure if there's a difference by doing DCF, but when my package was sent to USCIS, I also didn't realise at the time that my pictures weren't 2x2 (they were Canadian sizes). I only realised this afterwards, but hoped it wouldn't generate a RFE. And it didn't! I've seen other cases as well where the passport pictures were sent in, not 2x2, and were approved. I'd suggest calling the London embassy and asking. For the I-130, it might be okay. But I'd suggest for the other packages, definitely get your pictures done 2x2.

Agreed. We arent doing DCF but when we mailed in the I-130 to USCIS my photo was UK standard not US standard and they didnt seem to have any issues either, but like it says above DCF may be different and your best to check with the Embassy and send in US standard photos for everything else.

February 2010: Met online via social networking site

1st July 2010: Met for the first time in Lake Charles, LA [11 days]

9th August 2010: Got Engaged!

September 2010: Met for the second time in Lake Charles, LA [2 weeks]

December 2010: Met for the third time in Lake Charles, LA [3 months]

18th February 2011: Got Married!

May 2011: Met for the fourth time in London, UK [2 weeks]

CR-1 Visa

USCIS

21st July 2011 - 14th December 2011

September 2012: Met for the fith time in Lake Charles, LA [3 months]

NVC

4th January 2012 - 23th January 2012

EMBASSY

25th January 2012 - 23rd March 2012

NEW LIFE IN THE USA

5th April 2012: POE: Houston, TX, USA!!

7th May 2012: Greencard arrived in mail

Remove the Conditions on Residence Petition

USCIS

April 1st - Present

1st April 2014: Filed I-751 (with divorce waiver)

4th April 2014: Received NOA (1 year extension)

April 20th 2014: Filed for divorce

12th May 2015: Received second biometric appointment letter due to rescheduling my first appointment

May 28th 2014: Biometrics taken in Louisville, KY

October 31 2014: Received RFE requesting final divorce judgment

22nd January 2015: Received final divorce judgment & submitted to VSC

25th January 2015: Called USCIS Military hotline to enquire on gaining an extension in order to enlist in United States Army & was advised to make infopass appointment at local office as processing will take longer than 6 months on my application.

don't think there will be a problem. Just take the right size to the interview (2 of them). The medical people at Knightsbridge will accept either size.

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

I would do nothing for now. You may get an RFE for it, but it is unlikely. Bring some extra correct size photos to the interview.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Thank you everyone. :thumbs: I appreciate you all taking the time to give me your thoughts on it.

SInce we don't have a case number yet I'm going to wait and see what happens and go from there.

IR-1 DCF@London

Nov-9-2011 Mailed I-130

Nov-23-2011 Charged for I-130

Nov-30-2011 Rec'd email confirmation

Feb-18-2012 Rec'd notice I-130 accepted

Mar-12-2012 Rec'd Case #

Mar-16-2012 Mailed DS-230s & DS-2001

Mar-21-2012 Medical Appointment

May -9-2012 Visa Interview...Approved! :)

June 18th ...Fly home~~

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.