BesosforMexico

Lawyer claiming I need to file I-130 after marriage... fiance coming on I-129f

43 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Holy crapola on those fees!! Wow... So you're paying her $1500 to have her assistant get the info required for the forms from you, type that info into a form, get you to come in and sign, photocopy the supporting documents (not that many honestly) and mail the package. Okay... It took me less than an hour to fill in the forms, print and photocopy what was required. I wish someone paid ME $1500 for an hours "work" :P don't get me wrong, she'd bring you in for a consultation where she'd explain it all to you, make you think she's really in control of it all and like you're getting your monies worth... Don't be surprised if you find out there are random typos or errors because no-one knows your info better than you do and assistants are human and make errors.

You've been reading all about it, there' guides here, the AOS thread in my signature that tells you what supporting docs are required... you can totally do this yourself and you'll feel really proud of yourself for doing so :) Put that extra fee money in an account and spend it on your honeymoon :D

You should start a side business...you are very informative and helpful on heregood.gifbiggrin.gif

AOS (from K1 Visa)

December 06, 2011 – Married

December 23, 2011 - Sent packet (I-485, I-765, I-131 & G-1145) to Chicago Lockbox

December 27, 2011 - USCIS - Received packet

January 06, 2012 - Received receipt notice NOA

January 14, 2012 - Received Biometrics appt letter

January 27, 2012 - Biometric appointment in Phoenix @ 9 am for I-485 & I-765

February 24, 2012 - Email received from USCIS they mailed RFE for I-485

February 29, 2012 - Received RFE for I-485 in the mail.

March 26, 2012 - Sent requested evidence (transcript 2010)

April 02, 2012 - Email notification that NBC received documents

April 10, 2012 - Received email that Travel Document was approved

April 10, 2012 - Received email that EAD was in production

April 13, 2012 - Received 2nd email that EAD was in production

April 16, 2012 - Received email that EAD was mailed

April 17, 2012 - Received email that NBC interview scheduled for May 18, 2012

April 18, 2012 - Received EAD/Travel Card in the mail

May 18, 2012 - Interview at Phoenix USCIS office

August 07, 2012 - I-485 approved

August 07 & 09 - Received email/texts from USCIS

August 15, 2012 - Received Green Cards in the mail

an1cJZC0g410810MTAwNjA3c3w1OTgwMzk3c2F8RGF5cyBNYXJyaWVk.gif

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Your fiance is not an Alien relative I-130 and has already been petitioned on I-129F as fiance; therefore once she crosses POE you have 90 days to marry and start AOS which consists of the following:

I-485 AOS mandatory

I-864 Affidavit of support

I-765 employment auth (optional but free when completed w/I- 485)

I-131 travel document (optional but free when completed w/I- 485)

Cost of $1,070 for AOS (includes biometric fee).

Save your money and do it yourself!

Hope this helps

Minor correction. You have 90 days to MARRY. You can start the AOS process any time after that. There is no deadline for the AOS.

Edited by Gary and Alla

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Our situation isn't complicated, I guess I was just nervous to do it on my own since I have never been involved in a Visa process. So between those nerves and also my impatience, I thought it would make the process more seamless. Also I wanted to have a lawyer involved because they receive all of the paperwork at the same time I do, and his address in Mexico is unreliable and he often doesn't get his mail. I guess I was just a newbie and a little worried. Now that the 129 is submitted I will be completing the rest by myself, I just wanted to confirm that I was correct in thinking the I-130 was NOT needed.

Believe me if I had gone with her and then when my I-130 would ultimately get rejected (as its not needed), I would have sued for malpractice. :)

The only thing that would get sent to your fiance in Mexico is the invitation letter he needs for the interview in Juarez after the petition is approved and your case is received at the consulate there. The Mexican mail system is #######, and a lot of people do not ever get their letter at their Mexican address. The good news with that is the letter is also sent to the petitioner in the US, and that letter works just as well as the one sent to the beneficiary. The letter would have come to you, and no need for it to go to a lawyer.

I had never been involved in an immigration situation before either, but I managed to handle it just fine on my own. I think doing the AOS part yourself is a good choice. Saves you money and you have full control over what gets sent and when.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Minor correction. You have 90 days to MARRY. You can start the AOS process any time after that. There is no deadline for the AOS.

That's true enough, but it's a good idea to file for AOS as soon as possible after the marriage so you can obtain proof of legal presence beyond the 90-day I-94 expiration date.

Edited by Stephen + Elisha

Improved USCIS Form G-325A (Biographic Information)

Form field input font changed to allow entry of dates in the specified format and to provide more space for addresses and employment history. This is the 6/12/09 version of the form; the current version is 8/8/11, but previous versions are accepted per the USCIS forms page.

Timeline

Why would I want to advise someone to start the process out of status or direct them to potential be in a situation where they could end up out of status???!!! Thats not my style when providing advice to someone who is novice to the process.

AOS (from K1 Visa)

December 23, 2011 - Sent packet (I-485, I-765, I-131 & G-1145) to Chicago Lockbox

Timeline

That's true enough, but it's a good idea to file for AOS as soon as possible after the marriage so you can obtain proof of legal presence beyond the 90-day I-94 expiration date.

Much agreed!!! Now thats proper advice...good.gif

AOS (from K1 Visa)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

The only thing that would get sent to your fiance in Mexico is the invitation letter he needs for the interview in Juarez after the petition is approved and your case is received at the consulate there. The Mexican mail system is #######, and a lot of people do not ever get their letter at their Mexican address. The good news with that is the letter is also sent to the petitioner in the US, and that letter works just as well as the one sent to the beneficiary. The letter would have come to you, and no need for it to go to a lawyer.

I had never been involved in an immigration situation before either, but I managed to handle it just fine on my own. I think doing the AOS part yourself is a good choice. Saves you money and you have full control over what gets sent and when.

What about the packet of stuff to be completed before the interview and the packet for medical? they don't get sent to him directly via mail service?

10/20/2011 - Submitted I-129f to CSC

10/22/2011 - CSC Received our packet

10/24/2011 - NOA1

10/28/2011 - Touched

2/23/2012 - 2/28/2012 Trip to Mexico

2/27/2012 - NOA2

3/5/2012 - NVC received our packet

3/6/2012 - NVC forwarded packet to consulate

3/8/2012 - Received by consulate

3/23/2012 - Packet sent by consulate

4/16/2012 - Medical and Finger printing scheduled

4/17/2012 - Interview

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Why would I want to advise someone to start the process out of status or direct them to potential be in a situation where they could end up out of status???!!! Thats not my style when providing advice to someone who is novice to the process.

Well, many people give advice based on whats in 9Fam.

Are you one of them, or no ?

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Timeline

What about the packet of stuff to be completed before the interview and the packet for medical? they don't get sent to him directly via mail service?

No, the letter points their website where you can find all the info and forms. There are no actual 'packets' with Juarez. There is nothing to send back before the interview. All the forms will be filled out and then you take them with you to the interview.

Forms: http://ciudadjuarez.usconsulate.gov/fianceforms.html

Instructions: http://photos.state.gov/libraries/ciudadjuarez/231771/PDFs/K1%20PACKET%20COMPLETE%20_July2011%20UPDATES_.pdf

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

No, the letter points their website where you can find all the info and forms. There are no actual 'packets' with Juarez. There is nothing to send back before the interview. All the forms will be filled out and then you take them with you to the interview.

Forms: http://ciudadjuarez.usconsulate.gov/fianceforms.html

Instructions: http://photos.state.gov/libraries/ciudadjuarez/231771/PDFs/K1%20PACKET%20COMPLETE%20_July2011%20UPDATES_.pdf

These are the questions I have asked my lawyer several times and gotten responses like, "It varies based on embassy." And then I reply, "so then can't you figure out which embassy our case will go through." And then gotten responses like "Only the NVC can determine that".....

Which Juarez is obviously the only place it could be.

DONE with the lawyer.

My MOST helpful stuff has been from this site

10/20/2011 - Submitted I-129f to CSC

10/22/2011 - CSC Received our packet

10/24/2011 - NOA1

10/28/2011 - Touched

2/23/2012 - 2/28/2012 Trip to Mexico

2/27/2012 - NOA2

3/5/2012 - NVC received our packet

3/6/2012 - NVC forwarded packet to consulate

3/8/2012 - Received by consulate

3/23/2012 - Packet sent by consulate

4/16/2012 - Medical and Finger printing scheduled

4/17/2012 - Interview

Timeline

These are the questions I have asked my lawyer several times and gotten responses like, "It varies based on embassy." And then I reply, "so then can't you figure out which embassy our case will go through." And then gotten responses like "Only the NVC can determine that".....

Which Juarez is obviously the only place it could be.

DONE with the lawyer.

My MOST helpful stuff has been from this site

Wow. Your fiance is in Mexico, and only one consulate in Mexico handles the fiance(e) and spousal visas. That is Juarez.

I think you will do fine on your own. This site is great for asking questions if you get stuck on anything. Good luck!

• 1 month later...
Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline

I was thinking of hiring a lawyer when i started my process, but i cant trust anyone with handling something so important, a minor mishap can change my life. I am doing it alone, and i go over my paperwork 10 times. Anf in the process i have informed myself well enough that i dont need a lawyer.

But from what am reading about your lawyer it seems he or she is incompetent and filing an erroneous form can get your fiance deported and could complicate their status.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.