Dorah

Denied K-1 at Nairobi embassy

16 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Uganda
Timeline

I had my interview yesterday at the Nairobi embassy,i was interviewed by a consular on window number 8,she started by asking me how i met my fiance?How old and how did i convice him to come and meet me?

She then asked me how we communicate?As soon as i pulled out my oovoo video shots and call logs ,she just yelled what the hell is this? she didn't even look at them, Then she said that how come i have records from way back in April,That i shows thhat ive been preparing for the visa for a long time and then she just pulled out a red #### marked failure to prove bonafide relationship and petition will be sent back to DHS office

She didn't give me the time to answer anything or even show her any paperwork that.Am so dissappointed i can't believe i was judged so wrongly like that by someone who doesn't even know either of us.

She ruined our happiness after putting so much time,emotion into this.

My fiance has tried emailing the embassy requesting for a reschedule but i don't think theres any chance.

Any one please advice

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline

I had my interview yesterday at the Nairobi embassy,i was interviewed by a consular on window number 8,she started by asking me how i met my fiance?How old and how did i convice him to come and meet me?

She then asked me how we communicate?As soon as i pulled out my oovoo video shots and call logs ,she just yelled what the hell is this? she didn't even look at them, Then she said that how come i have records from way back in April,That i shows thhat ive been preparing for the visa for a long time and then she just pulled out a red #### marked failure to prove bonafide relationship and petition will be sent back to DHS office

She didn't give me the time to answer anything or even show her any paperwork that.Am so dissappointed i can't believe i was judged so wrongly like that by someone who doesn't even know either of us.

She ruined our happiness after putting so much time,emotion into this.

My fiance has tried emailing the embassy requesting for a reschedule but i don't think theres any chance.

Any one please advice

Looking at your timeline it says you filed in august so having records from april doesnt mean anything except you were preparing because you both had alreayd planned to be together ... and wanted to have proof of your relationship. Im very sorry to hear that. Not sure if you can make enough noise to keep the petition there and obtain another interview or not. But you should try to do that if possible. Try contacting your congressman to get him to make some noise too.

Was there anything else in the interview that maybe you answered that may have sent red flags up to the CO? I know your upset but try to think clearly and write it all down now while you remember. If you want to share it please do.. im sure it would help the other members answer better.

There will be someobody who can tell you how to get another interview/keep the petition there if possible. Good luck...wish you the best!!

Edited by EAbbas

10/02/2010 Nikah/Marriage in Karachi
USCIS JOURNEY
11/10/2010 -Sent
03/24/2011 i 130 approved!!!
NVC JOURNEY
03/30/2011 NVC received case-04/07/2011 NVC Case Number Assigned
05/03/2011 CASE COMPLETE- In Que for INTERVIEW!!-05/17/2011 Received interview letter and info via email
EMBASSY JOURNEY
05/20/2011 Medical Appt/passed
06/15/2011 Interview result AP
06/21/2011 Submitted requested docs..under review
07/25/2011 CO called did phone interview result: PENDING MANDATORY AP/CO told us they have to do namechecks

03/07/2013 Case returned to USCIS waiting for NOIR/reaffirmation

04/18/2013 USCIS received case for review

08/19/2013 Received NOIR to respond by 9/18/2013

9/9/2013 Responded to NOIR/USCIS received documents awaiting response

9/20/2013 USCIS reaffirmed sent to embassy

1/04/14 Case opened for review

8/31/15 Interview- no questions visa approved on the spot

9/8/15 visa status issued

9/10/15 visa received

9/19/15 POE Charlotte

p9WGm4.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I am so sorry, but often times their minds are made up before you even get to the interview stage, did you send in lots of proof when you filed the petition? And that is what this process is, we all get our relationships judged by people who dont' know us

I am not sure you can reshedule, can you appeal? We didn't do a K-1 so someone with more knowledge will help

Good luck

USCIS
August 12, 2008 - petition sent
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
February 10, 2009 - NOA-2
178 DAYS FROM NOA-1

NVC
February 13, 2009 - NVC case number assigned
March 12, 2009 - Case Complete
25 DAY TRIP THROUGH NVC

Medical
May 4, 2009

Interview
May, 26, 2009

POE - June 20, 2009 Toronto - Atlanta, GA

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011
Biometrics - June 2, 2011 (early)
Approval - November 9, 2011
209 DAY TRIP TO REMOVE CONDITIONS

Citizenship

April 29, 2013 - NOA1 for petition received

September 10, 2013 Interview - decision could not be made.

April 15, 2014 APPROVED. Wait for oath ceremony

Waited...

September 29, 2015 - sent letter to senator.

October 16, 2015 - US Citizen

Timeline

Looking at your timeline it says you filed in august so having records from april doesnt mean anything except you were preparing because you both had alreayd planned to be together ... and wanted to have proof of your relationship. Im very sorry to hear that. Not sure if you can make enough noise to keep the petition there and obtain another interview or not. But you should try to do that if possible. Try contacting your congressman to get him to make some noise too.

Was there anything else in the interview that maybe you answered that may have sent red flags up to the CO? I know your upset but try to think clearly and write it all down now while you remember. If you want to share it please do.. im sure it would help the other members answer better.

There will be someobody who can tell you how to get another interview/keep the petition there if possible. Good luck...wish you the best!!

She asked me how much my fiance earns and i answered her that he earns a little more that $100.000 a year,then she asked me how did i convice him to come and meet me,i told her it was his decision because he loved me.

She also asked me about his ex divorce and i answered correctly then she said that why am i answering just exactly how its documented on the decree,so i went further and explained it in details but she was all swinging her head left right.

Yes a decision was already made even before the actual interview,my fiance is so devastated,he's destroyed,these people just don't understand ,they keep judging one person to another

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Uganda
Timeline

So sorry to hear about your dilemma! The Nairobi consulate is one of the most difficult embassy's to pass through and from experience, denials are frequent and expected by many there. Most do not succeed without several interviews. I was almost in the same boat of possible denials. However, having researched this emabssy and reading several posts of VJ Members, knew that the expense over the years has taken a toll on me, so I attended my wifes interview. Although I was told that I was not able to attend, found it easy to convince the security to allow me into the embassy. If it were not for me being there as the petitoner, we would not have received the visa. Our interview lasted the entire day and I was interviewed as well, since the initial consular was rude, disrepectful and was trying her best to give a denial.

After all was done, the 2nd consular who seemed to be a foreigh service national, told me and my wife that he is extremely satisfied that we have a bonafide relationship. Evidence is key there and I mean alot (i.e. family pic's, emails, chat logs, western union moeny transfers, in our case a traditional and church ceremony showing family, etc. along with a logical progression how you met and came together as one). The 1st officer came back, after we were approved and said that we are lucky for most people are denied several times prior to obtaining a visa, if ever. Our visa was given on that very day which was great for not having to wait several days to pick it up. However, the mental stress was overwhelming and I don't think I could ever do it again.

Don't give up, compile evidence as much as possible, marry if possible in Uganda and reapply for a CR-1. Petitoner should attend future interview, even if has to wait otuside the embassy. Research, study VJ and help your spouse to full yunderstand the process and use this experience to continue on. If you don't continue on, it only makes their case that it was a fraud marriage. Feel free to contact me with any specific questions, however the advice provided by other VJ members is on track such as contacting a congressman although this is still challenging for a fiance visa considering the timeline as indicated above. Good Luck~!

Timeline

So sorry to hear about your dilemma! The Nairobi consulate is one of the most difficult embassy's to pass through and from experience, denials are frequent and expected by many there. Most do not succeed without several interviews. I was almost in the same boat of possible denials. However, having researched this emabssy and reading several posts of VJ Members, knew that the expense over the years has taken a toll on me, so I attended my wifes interview. Although I was told that I was not able to attend, found it easy to convince the security to allow me into the embassy. If it were not for me being there as the petitoner, we would not have received the visa. Our interview lasted the entire day and I was interviewed as well, since the initial consular was rude, disrepectful and was trying her best to give a denial.

After all was done, the 2nd consular who seemed to be a foreigh service national, told me and my wife that he is extremely satisfied that we have a bonafide relationship. Evidence is key there and I mean alot (i.e. family pic's, emails, chat logs, western union moeny transfers, in our case a traditional and church ceremony showing family, etc. along with a logical progression how you met and came together as one). The 1st officer came back, after we were approved and said that we are lucky for most people are denied several times prior to obtaining a visa, if ever. Our visa was given on that very day which was great for not having to wait several days to pick it up. However, the mental stress was overwhelming and I don't think I could ever do it again.

Don't give up, compile evidence as much as possible, marry if possible in Uganda and reapply for a CR-1. Petitoner should attend future interview, even if has to wait otuside the embassy. Research, study VJ and help your spouse to full yunderstand the process and use this experience to continue on. If you don't continue on, it only makes their case that it was a fraud marriage. Feel free to contact me with any specific questions, however the advice provided by other VJ members is on track such as contacting a congressman although this is still challenging for a fiance visa considering the timeline as indicated above. Good Luck~!

Thanks for responding.Is there a chance that we can be rescheduled,my fiance has tried contacting the embassy by email and requesting for a second interview so he can come down here and attend the interview with me.

I had all the evidence as mentioned above but she just didn't want to know,she didn't even take the time to look at anything

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Kenya
Timeline

Oh my, I am so sorry to hear this. I can understand your frustration, it's very unfortunate. You have been given good advice by Rodceasar, apply it, and hang in there, all will be well.

I have tried to get my significant other to the states twice, but not via the K1 or K3 visas, but they have been very tough. Our last attempt was with a medical letter and believe me, they even denied that one. Pray and just do it all over again, don't let them take your life's joys away.

Edited by nyali

Timeline

Oh my, I am so sorry to hear this. I can understand your frustration, it's very unfortunate. You have been given good advice by Rodceasar, apply it, and hang in there, all will be well.

I have tried to get my significant other to the states twice, but not via the K1 or K3 visas, but they have been very tough. Our last attempt was with a medical letter and believe me, they even denied that one. Pray and just do it all over again, don't let them take your life's joys away.

Thanks for the advice but we're both devastated right now,i just can't believe how someone puts judgement on 2 people she doesn't know.Someone has us all wrapped around her 5 fingers.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Many embassy's are set up it seems for the sole reason to keep people apart. My husband was rejected on his first interview and we also went through the devastation , followed by his father dying right after that interview. We filed again and that time we were granted a visa. I have stayed here on VJ more than most after getting the visa to help others as a way to vent my anger at the forces that do this to families. You can be sucessful if you just keep going and don't dispair.

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

Timeline

Many embassy's are set up it seems for the sole reason to keep people apart. My husband was rejected on his first interview and we also went through the devastation , followed by his father dying right after that interview. We filed again and that time we were granted a visa. I have stayed here on VJ more than most after getting the visa to help others as a way to vent my anger at the forces that do this to families. You can be sucessful if you just keep going and don't dispair.

How long did you have to wait before filing again?We're also not giving up

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.