Shoot Em Straight

Wanna Change my Name

18 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Hi

I am the USC..

Did not change my name when we married in Morocco. I was afraid if it did not reflect my passport we might have difficulties getting approved.

On our marriage certificate it was kept the same too. (I wanted to change it and proudly take his on but I was still shocked w/ being denied the K1 it influenced my decision)

Filed CR1 with everything the same.

So now that I am here waiting and waiting...and waiting, I thought about maybe changing all my i.d. passport driver's lic...etc to take on my husbands name (L) If it does not effect the Visa!!!

In searching VJ..there were answers to the beneficiary wanting to name change (like for the GR or new passport issued) but not the petitioner.

If it does...how would this affect my Application? Do I notify USISC?

And does anyone from Moroccan members have advice or experience with this?

I also can just wait and do it when he is approved and he is here GOD willing. :)

Thanks for your input

event.png

event.png

Filed: Other Timeline

Advice I had from a lawyer, and it turned out to be good, is that you should do nothing to mess with your passport - like changing your name - until you have arrived in the US. Once you have arrived in the US, you can use your marriage cert to change your name and change your Morrocan passport. If you do so now, the name on the I-130 and the name on your passport will be different and you will be f-ed.

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

Google "ehow change name after marriage (name of your state of residence); i.e. ehow change name after marriage california.

All a person need is his/her marriage certificate in most cases to change your name.

There shouldn't be any problem with USCIS. List your maiden name under "other names used".

Edited by aaron2020

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

don't change anything during the i-130 process...good luck !!!

Met online : 2009
Married : 07/28/2010

USCIS
Send I-130 : 06/08/2011
Touched : 06/13/2011
got a NOA1 by e-mail and SMS : 06/15/2011
got "I-797C" hard copy of NOA1 : 06/20/2011
got RFE "I-797E" : 10/15/2011
RFE Reply : 12/15/2011
Touched : 12/16/2011
I-130 Approved : 12/20/2011
got "I-797" hard copy of NOA2 : 12/24/2011
Your I-130 was approved in 183 days from your NOA1 date.

NVC
NVC Case Number : 01/13/2012
Pay "$88" AOS Bill and e-mailed DS-3032 : 02/08/2012
Email from NVC, DS-3032 Accepted : 02/09/2012
AOS Fee Shows PAID : 02/09/2012
IV fee invoiced "$404" : 02/10/2012
IV fee invoiced "$230" : 04/18/2012
Pay "$230" IV Bill : 04/30/2012
IV Fee Shows PAID : 05/02/2012
Send AOS and IV packet : 06/09/2012
AOS and IV packet Received : 06/22/2012
Case completed at NVC : 06/29/2012

Interview Date : 08/28/2012 "Denied"

Case Reaffirmed : 07/16/2013

Second interview - Approved : 10/24/2013

Visa Issued : 10/29/2013

Visa in hand : 10/31/2013

For more details please visit my timeline

485.gif

Timeline

Advice I had from a lawyer, and it turned out to be good, is that you should do nothing to mess with your passport - like changing your name - until you have arrived in the US. Once you have arrived in the US, you can use your marriage cert to change your name and change your Morrocan passport. If you do so now, the name on the I-130 and the name on your passport will be different and you will be f-ed.

Thanks for the offer of advice ...I got excited when you started with advice from a Lawyer... but I am not the person coming to U.S. I am the USC

So it s a little different of a question then normally on here. That is why I did not find the answer myself searching in the past forums.

But I do agree with the last thing you wrote..If you do so now, the name on the I-130 and the name on your passport will be different and you will be f-ed.

This was why in the first place I did not want any conflicting info with the marriage certificate and my U.S. passport

The question I had is if I decide to do the change NOW "mid visa" ..would it have any negative affect on my application and the timeframe?

I appreciate your input

event.png

event.png

Timeline

don't change anything during the i-130 process...good luck !!!

Your answer is simple,straight forward and I respect where you are coming from because you know CASA

Thank you :star:

Maybe I am just getting weak with the waiting...hahaha

event.png

event.png

Filed: Country: Morocco
Timeline

Your answer is simple,straight forward and I respect where you are coming from because you know CASA

Thank you :star:

Maybe I am just getting weak with the waiting...hahaha

I the USC changed my passport after we married in Casa, 09, after K1 was returned, then filed for I130 in '10 ...I didnt do my drivers lisnces as to wait till it expired....I tried to do my SS card but when I went a lady there said I needed the original marriage cert., I had brought home a translated copy...she didnt know what she was talking about as I found out after my husband came in Oct, 11, and we went to apply for his and they accepted the translated copy...anyway...I didnt have a problem with changing name on passport and then using it to return to Morocco and wait it out with husband until approved. Hope this helps.

Edited by Love is Magic

Timeline

I was in the military at the time of our journey and I changed my name on my military record and military ID. I happened to retire as well as move and updated my record none of which affected the process. I also changed my license to my married name but kept my state ID, SSN and passport under my maiden name until my husband got the visa. I made some changes but chose to keep some form of ID in my maiden name particularly SSN and passport.

To play it safe, I say stand fast and change everything after he arrives. I had to change my name officially to reflect my married name on my retirement documents so I was under a time crunch I took a chance as well.

By the way taking his name is a great honor and sign of respect my in-laws were ecstatic when they saw my military ID with their last name.

Good luck

Edited by MIBEN

Timeline

I was in the military at the time of our journey and I changed my name on my military record and military ID. I happened to retire as well as move and updated my record none of which affected the process. I also changed my license to my married name but kept my state ID, SSN and passport under my maiden name until my husband got the visa. I made some changes but chose to keep some form of ID in my maiden name particularly SSN and passport.

To play it safe, I say stand fast and change everything after he arrives. I had to change my name officially to reflect my married name on my retirement documents so I was under a time crunch I took a chance as well.

By the way taking his name is a great honor and sign of respect my in-laws were ecstatic when they saw my military ID with their last name.

Good luck

Taking his name would be a great honor for me too...thank you so much for sharing. It looks like it would not be making "best of my time" to do this now...

I wished to know if there might be ramifications with delay or disorder as far as the visa application goes... :)

event.png

event.png

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

There is absolutely no reason not to change your name, if that is your wish. Simply provide documentation of the change, with any paperwork at the NVC stage. It will help, not hurt.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

We went through CASA and initially had a denial. We married and I changed my name, and we were eventually approved on an I-130. It did not impact us negatively that I changed my name. Don't think it impacted the process one way or the other. As the person above stated, the social security office requested an original (Arabic) marriage certificate from Morocco. I'd take both the original and translated one when you go to SS office.

Timeline

We went through CASA and initially had a denial. We married and I changed my name, and we were eventually approved on an I-130. It did not impact us negatively that I changed my name. Don't think it impacted the process one way or the other. As the person above stated, the social security office requested an original (Arabic) marriage certificate from Morocco. I'd take both the original and translated one when you go to SS office.

Yes thank you for the advice...I was speaking of now "mid visa". My marriage certificate was kept the same in Morocco I kept my own name so it would reflect the passport not to have ANY conflict...

But now thinking of it, I wish to be Mrs....and not live making choices because of the Visa and under worry something might conflict.

Msheesa~When you married on your marriage certificate...did the Adoul put your husbands name as your last?

This is where I insisted keeping my previous name which unfortunately was my (ex) name i am still going by. Only because it matched my passport and all my ids. :blink:

I wish I knew more...of what was the best way to do this Visa thing...If I married here it would have been an option right on our marriage lic of what i would go by and then I would have followed with the rest of the ids.

event.png

event.png

Timeline

There is absolutely no reason not to change your name, if that is your wish. Simply provide documentation of the change, with any paperwork at the NVC stage. It will help, not hurt.

Marriage certificate in Morocco reflect my previous name....I would take this and tranlation to San Diego courthouse to start the process ...and then give all new document to USCIS while it is still in the NVC stage? And you think there is no delay with them?

event.png

event.png

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

Marriage certificate in Morocco reflect my previous name....I would take this and tranlation to San Diego courthouse to start the process ...and then give all new document to USCIS while it is still in the NVC stage? And you think there is no delay with them?

Correct, no delay. Name changes are common practice, with which the NVC staff are quite familiar and ready to deal with. Petitioners changing addresses during the process would actually be a bigger problem than changing names. Just make sure your post office is advised to deliver mail addressed in either/both name(s).

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: India
Timeline

Two weeks back my USC wife returned to USA after staying over 2 years in India. Since she was in India, so there was no easy process for her to change the last name.

Now she is in USA, and our case is already completed, and I have my interview on Feb 15th. She now wants to update her doc with my last name. Is it good idea for her to update the last name now when my interview is next month?

XrVRp5.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.