Shoot Em Straight

Wanna Change my Name

18 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

Two weeks back my USC wife returned to USA after staying over 2 years in India. Since she was in India, so there was no easy process for her to change the last name.

Now she is in USA, and our case is already completed, and I have my interview on Feb 15th. She now wants to update her doc with my last name. Is it good idea for her to update the last name now when my interview is next month?

It's too late to replace any forms but if she wants to change her name and email or send you documentation that she has done so, you can certainly take that documentation to your interview.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: India
Timeline

It's too late to replace any forms but if she wants to change her name and email or send you documentation that she has done so, you can certainly take that documentation to your interview.

Thank you! That is good idea. I will take the photocopy of which doc she has updated.

What should she start with? From Social Security first or Driving License?

XrVRp5.png

Yes thank you for the advice...I was speaking of now "mid visa". My marriage certificate was kept the same in Morocco I kept my own name so it would reflect the passport not to have ANY conflict...

But now thinking of it, I wish to be Mrs....and not live making choices because of the Visa and under worry something might conflict.

Msheesa~When you married on your marriage certificate...did the Adoul put your husbands name as your last?

This is where I insisted keeping my previous name which unfortunately was my (ex) name i am still going by. Only because it matched my passport and all my ids. :blink:

I wish I knew more...of what was the best way to do this Visa thing...If I married here it would have been an option right on our marriage lic of what i would go by and then I would have followed with the rest of the ids.

I don't recall there being any mention of name change on the marriage certificate. Ours was in Casablanca and was in narrative form - describing each of us, our dob's, our professions, our addresses, and our marriage date, etc. So, it had my pre-marriage name on it because that is how I entered into the marriage. No mention of name after marriage. I don't know if each city/area in Morocco does it differently, but the best I can remember, that's what ours is.

I don't think I changed my name legally in the US before doing the visa application; I can't remember. I do remember that I hyphenated my name on the application - so that my previous name and married name were both on there. It didn't seem to make a difference one way or the other.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.