hope.andsun

Advice for someone looking for a job?

22 posts in this topic

Hi guys,

I just recently got my EAD/AP and will be having my interview for AOS early Feb. I have been applying for jobs in the SoCal area (Long Beach and surrounding areas) looking for a job as a nurse. I'm not picky, although I haven't had a call back. The only experience I have is a 3 month training in hemodialysis back home (which I really enjoyed). Do you guys have any advice on what else can I do? I've applied for a residency near home (Lakewood) and I'm really hoping to get into it, although I know there are a lot of people trying to get into that job. So, for people who are starting their healthcare careers here in the US, do you guys have advice? My husband and I have a lot of dreams, and we can't wait to get started on it.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Italy
Timeline

Hi guys,

I just recently got my EAD/AP and will be having my interview for AOS early Feb. I have been applying for jobs in the SoCal area (Long Beach and surrounding areas) looking for a job as a nurse. I'm not picky, although I haven't had a call back. The only experience I have is a 3 month training in hemodialysis back home (which I really enjoyed). Do you guys have any advice on what else can I do? I've applied for a residency near home (Lakewood) and I'm really hoping to get into it, although I know there are a lot of people trying to get into that job. So, for people who are starting their healthcare careers here in the US, do you guys have advice? My husband and I have a lot of dreams, and we can't wait to get started on it.

Do you need to have some sort of degree or special qualification to work as a nurse in the US? It may be worth doing some research of the requirements, and possibly going to school to achieve such qualification. These are hard times work-wise, and if the competition is harsh, a US trained candidate will always be preferred.

I'm assuming you've passed the NCLEX? Did you work independently as a nurse in your hemo job or was it training? When did you graduate from nursing school?

SoCal is probably the hardest place in the US to get a nursing job right now - or at least one of the hardest. You're looking at hundreds of applications for one new grad position. And once you pass the six month post-graduation from school mark (or when the next crop of grads come out), you become ineligible for many nurse residency/new grad positions.

What sort of jobs have you been applying for? Have you been applying for non-hospital jobs? Your best bet would be to start applying to outpatient hemodialysis clinics if you haven't already. You can use your experience to your advantage. They may not necessarily advertise "new grad" positions (or residencies), 'tho.

allnurses.com is a good place to start for region-specific advice, as well.

Good luck!

Edited by HannahP

we met: 07-22-01

engaged: 08-03-06

I-129 sent: 01-07-07

NOA2 approved: 04-02-07

packet 3 sent: 05-31-07

interview date: 06-25-07 - approved!

marriage: 07-23-07

AOS sent: 08-10-07

AOS/EAD/AP NOA1: 09-14-07

AOS approved: 11-19-07

green card received: 11-26-07

lifting of conditions filed: 10-29-09

NOA received: 11-09-09

lifting of conditions approved: 12-11-09

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Most jobs are by a referral with someone who works there. Sounds like HannahP knows the scoop.

In Arizona its hot hot hot.

http://www.uscis.gov/dateCalculator.html

I'm feeling the difficulties right now. Lol. I actually graduated in '09 and got my license '11 due to Social Security issues. I applied for the residency because though I am not a new grad, I am newly licensed, and that was one of their criteria, if I'm not mistaken. I hope they look into it.

Anyway, yeah, I am in allnurses.com as well.. I'm trying to network as that is what everyone says. I just don't know where to start. The dialysis training is not paid, it was just training.. Maybe I should look more into dialysis centers. Whenever I apply online, they always ask for a years experience, so I don't know what to do with that :| I have applied at nursing homes as well, and by the end of the month, will probably volunteer in a hospice, but that's about it. No news yet for an actual job, and I don't really know someone who's "in-the-know". Damn...

I'm feeling the difficulties right now. Lol. I actually graduated in '09 and got my license '11 due to Social Security issues. I applied for the residency because though I am not a new grad, I am newly licensed, and that was one of their criteria, if I'm not mistaken. I hope they look into it.

Anyway, yeah, I am in allnurses.com as well.. I'm trying to network as that is what everyone says. I just don't know where to start. The dialysis training is not paid, it was just training.. Maybe I should look more into dialysis centers. Whenever I apply online, they always ask for a years experience, so I don't know what to do with that :| I have applied at nursing homes as well, and by the end of the month, will probably volunteer in a hospice, but that's about it. No news yet for an actual job, and I don't really know someone who's "in-the-know". Damn...

So it's been three years since you had any clinical experience? I would look into taking some refresher courses. Volunteer clinical work. (Free clinics, etc.) Your major disadvantage is that you're looking for work at a time when a fresh new crop of December graduates are also looking for work -- you're competing against people who are only a few months, at most, out of clinicals so their skills are fresher.

I graduated with my BSN in May. Passed NCLEX first week of June. Found a pediatric private duty job in July. Got hired onto a hospital in November. And I'm in one of the least congested areas of the country when it comes to new nursing grads, lol. You might try googling private duty agencies -- a lot of these places seem to take anyone, but the pay is low and the training isn't always the best.

Apply to ANY job that does not specifically state "X experience REQUIRED."

LTACs are another option that often gets overlooked by new grads who have no idea that they even exist.

bigdog's right -- it really is about who you know, esp. in nursing these days because schools are still churning out new grads but the hospitals don't have enough money to invest in training them. But it seems like the only real way to network is to get a tech/CNA job while you're in school. (Which I didn't do.) And that's not an option for you anymore. I really was at a loss as to how to network, myself. I just happened to stumble upon a very small unit that was pretty rapidly expanding.

So it's been three years since you had any clinical experience? I would look into taking some refresher courses. Volunteer clinical work. (Free clinics, etc.) Your major disadvantage is that you're looking for work at a time when a fresh new crop of December graduates are also looking for work -- you're competing against people who are only a few months, at most, out of clinicals so their skills are fresher.

I graduated with my BSN in May. Passed NCLEX first week of June. Found a pediatric private duty job in July. Got hired onto a hospital in November. And I'm in one of the least congested areas of the country when it comes to new nursing grads, lol. You might try googling private duty agencies -- a lot of these places seem to take anyone, but the pay is low and the training isn't always the best.

Apply to ANY job that does not specifically state "X experience REQUIRED."

LTACs are another option that often gets overlooked by new grads who have no idea that they even exist.

bigdog's right -- it really is about who you know, esp. in nursing these days because schools are still churning out new grads but the hospitals don't have enough money to invest in training them. But it seems like the only real way to network is to get a tech/CNA job while you're in school. (Which I didn't do.) And that's not an option for you anymore. I really was at a loss as to how to network, myself. I just happened to stumble upon a very small unit that was pretty rapidly expanding.

Technically, my last clinical experience was last 2010. What you said is true.. I'll try not to get my hopes up, although it's a bummer. I guess I just have to get going at it. My husband's aunt is willing to help me, and she told me to just give her a call, although I'm so shy! I'm not used to asking anyone for help. But, after reading what you have to say, maybe I should do that tomorrow. I'll look into private duty jobs and LTAC's. Thank you!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I have a cousin who has been here for 2 years and passed her NCLEX but unfortunately she has not landed a full time nursing job even with the referal of my Aunt, Sister, and Cousin who are all nurses. California is one of the hardest state to get a nursing job specially for new immigrants with no or very little experience. Like others have suggested, try doing volunteer work for nursing home, county hospitals or try applying in small clinic as front or back office clerk just to get your foot in the door and work your way up. Well good luck hope you find employment soon!

My best advice is "put the books down and pick up a glass of red wine"

Most of the people I know who recently got a job are nearly always from referral.

Network is everything in the job market nowadays. Keep looking on the internet but at the same time actively expand your network, volunteer, go out, meet people, get to know people, make friends.

I know my advice doesn't help much but best of luck to you!

Edited by GandK

I don't know about the SoCal job market, but here in Seattle I've seen many Pinoy RN's without experience get hired at long-term care facilities. Some LTC's have a lot of employee turnover and are often hiring. Once a fresh RN gets some experience at an LTC, they can move on to a hospital.

Another idea is to work at a LTC facility as a nursing assistant. That way, you can get your foot in the door.

Good luck! :star:

I don't know about the SoCal job market, but here in Seattle I've seen many Pinoy RN's without experience get hired at long-term care facilities. Some LTC's have a lot of employee turnover and are often hiring. Once a fresh RN gets some experience at an LTC, they can move on to a hospital.

Another idea is to work at a LTC facility as a nursing assistant. That way, you can get your foot in the door.

know

Good luck! :star:

Mmmmmm. Your first suggestion is iffy. It's definitely not as easy as 1) get LTC job 2) get experience 3) move on to acute care. It happens, certainly. (I've seen some LTC hospice nurses jump into oncology acute care, for instance.) But for anything beyond a new grad position, most hospitals want similar ACUTE care experience. ie. other hospital experience. It's obviously not universal but unfortunately it's not nearly as easy as saying that any experience translates into the right experience. I know a LOT of my own classmates - myself included - wrestled with the dilemma of taking a LTC/outpatient/home health job over no job at all because of the prospect of being forever pigeon holed into that one specialty. Not that a hospital job is necessarily the pinnacle of nursing or anything like that. The OP said that she wasn't picky - she may wind up in a non-hospital setting and truly enjoy it.

I'm really just posting because your second suggestion may actually be illegal under her state's Nurse Practice Act. OP should check into that. It's also not terribly practical. Even if you don't buy the idea of "role confusion" (I don't. If I'm hired as a CNA, I know my job is to wipe asses and not pass meds), most places aren't going to hire and train a RN for a job where she'll make 1/3 of what she would be making as a RN because the minute she does get a RN job, she'll be out of there.

--

Anyway, to the OP: talk to your aunt, girl! I bet she wants to help you out and help you succeed. Are you using her as a reference. too?

I had a nursing instructor who suggested joining certain nursing organizations in the area, going to meetings, and handing out business cards with your name on it to help network. Maybe your aunt would be willing to hand out your resume to nurse managers that she knows? (My own dad is a doctor and I'm pretty sure that's how I got at least one interview, lol.)

There are always stories on allnurses.com about people doing one particular thing or another that seemed to help them find a job. I'm sure you've read them all. It seems like in this economic climate, everyone has some specific ideas on exactly how to get a job. Personally, I would build a time machine and travel back to 2006-2009 when even new grads had no problems finding a job. Sigh.

First off, I'm really thankful for all your suggestions, guys!

CristiFur, I'll keep that in mind. I'm applying on anything related to my course right now.

GandK, LOL! There's a party tonight, and I'll try to do that as well. :) I am currently trying to expand my network, and will go on volunteer training soon. Hopefully, there's some twist and turns somewhere in the middle and fate will bring me where I'm supposed to be.

Tahoma, I'll try that one! Thank you!

HannahP, I'll talk to my aunt later. I'm really shy about asking for help, cause I wasn't the type to do that, but now, it seems like one of the best options I have. Time to put the pride down for the meantime.

Yeah, I've read a lot on allnurses.com. There was one person who finally got a job, and his/her suggestions was to STALK the recruiters in linkedin.com... Scary right? But, I did what he/she suggested. We'll see where it goes. Suggestions there is just to be aggressive, but doing it probably. Don't be shy and keep asking questions. I have to practice in front of the mirror. The task is starting to become daunting... and I can see why it can get really depressing...

Technically, my last clinical experience was last 2010. What you said is true.. I'll try not to get my hopes up, although it's a bummer. I guess I just have to get going at it. My husband's aunt is willing to help me, and she told me to just give her a call, although I'm so shy! I'm not used to asking anyone for help. But, after reading what you have to say, maybe I should do that tomorrow. I'll look into private duty jobs and LTAC's. Thank you!

I've been a nurse since 1983. I've worked in Oncology, Brain injury Acute and LTAC, Insurance, detox, Geriatrics, Med surg, Supervisor in SNF and as a Float.

Pull your resume and cover letter together. Contact your local Red Cross and make sure your CPR cert is current. Go to the local hospitals, nursing homes, LTAC, Hospice,School dept, Detox,VNA and Dialysis centers and pick up an application and send it in along with your resume. There is a lot of turnover in nursing. Try to get an agency or hospital job working per diem or as a float until you get more experience. sick calls. It gets you in the door and it gets you experience in different areas of nursing. If you make a good impression you will have a better shot at getting a permanent position. I did that as a new grad and when I went back to acute care after a few years working for an LTAC. If you have not been in clinical for a while definitely ask about a refresher course. IV pumps, even med carts and charting are all computerized now.

All nurses is a resource for CEU's scrubs and anecdotal stories. I've never used it for a job.

Check with Monster.com. Check with your local board of nursing and your local nurses union. Call your husband's Aunt and anyone else who gives you a lead. The best jobs come from word of mouth. I got this job about 12 years ago after an aquaintance at church mentioned it.

Btw not sure if Kaiser is in your area but they have ads online:

http://www.nurse.com/jobs/all-nursing-jobs-with-kaiser-southern-california

Edited by david'sgirl

I've been a nurse since 1983. I've worked in Oncology, Brain injury Acute and LTAC, Insurance, detox, Geriatrics, Med surg, Supervisor in SNF and as a Float.

Pull your resume and cover letter together. Contact your local Red Cross and make sure your CPR cert is current. Go to the local hospitals, nursing homes, LTAC, Hospice,School dept, Detox,VNA and Dialysis centers and pick up an application and send it in along with your resume. There is a lot of turnover in nursing. Try to get an agency or hospital job working per diem or as a float until you get more experience. sick calls. It gets you in the door and it gets you experience in different areas of nursing. If you make a good impression you will have a better shot at getting a permanent position. I did that as a new grad and when I went back to acute care after a few years working for an LTAC. If you have not been in clinical for a while definitely ask about a refresher course. IV pumps, even med carts and charting are all computerized now.

All nurses is a resource for CEU's scrubs and anecdotal stories. I've never used it for a job.

Check with Monster.com. Check with your local board of nursing and your local nurses union. Call your husband's Aunt and anyone else who gives you a lead. The best jobs come from word of mouth. I got this job about 12 years ago after an aquaintance at church mentioned it.

Btw not sure if Kaiser is in your area but they have ads online:

http://www.nurse.com/jobs/all-nursing-jobs-with-kaiser-southern-california

Sorry, in my last post, what I was supposed to say was that I have to practice and better at trying to be aggressive but not so much as to scare the recruiters away. I don't know how to edit a post. Lol.

Thank you for your suggestions. Do you think I should volunteer for Red Cross for the meantime? I'll try to do what you suggested. I would love to have refresher courses, although it's an expense that I can't afford right now.. I'll have to research the local nurse union. Thank you!

Sorry, in my last post, what I was supposed to say was that I have to practice and better at trying to be aggressive but not so much as to scare the recruiters away. I don't know how to edit a post. Lol.

Thank you for your suggestions. Do you think I should volunteer for Red Cross for the meantime? I'll try to do what you suggested. I would love to have refresher courses, although it's an expense that I can't afford right now.. I'll have to research the local nurse union. Thank you!

If an employer is genuinely interested they often offer the training. After all they would rather train you thier way then break you of someone else's bad habits. lol

I worked with several women who returned to nursing after taking 15-20 yrs off to raise kids. The hospital gave them a partner at work and we trained them on the job.

Volunteering is never a bad thing and you never know who you might meet. Network. Eventually you will wind up where you belong. :)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.