Bad_Daddy

Short on Fuel, Alaskans Now Burning Their Stuff

46 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

I cut all my own firewood, and nothing is worse than trying to get green wood to burn. It usually takes 3-6 months before the wood is seasoned enough to burn properly. Stuff I cut in the spring is usually okay for the next winter.

Sure, 3-6 months is optimal. But when it's -45 outside and you're down to burning the coffee table, you can get a just cut tree to burn. You'll have more smoke than otherwise, but it's better than sitting on your butt and blaming the government while you freeze to death.

Filed: Other Country: Russia
Timeline

Not completely true, they do pay a higher per gallon price, which does include the transportation cost.

As per your analogy Katrina victims should had been made to pay the cost of transport helicopters and personal involved in operation.

Katrina was a disaster - this is a ** up. Big difference.

QCjgyJZ.jpg

I speak from experience when I say that -45 is not so cold that you can't go outside. Go chop a tree down. That's what people have done for thousands of years.

There are no tree's in Nome. It's up above the Arctic Circle where tree's don't grow. It's nothing but tundra up there....lots and lots of tundra.

Katrina was a disaster - this is a ** up. Big difference.

:thumbs:

Someone is going to lose their job over this...maybe several people and there might even be some jail time over this one.

sigbet.jpg

"I want to take this opportunity to mention how thankful I am for an Obama re-election. The choice was clear. We cannot live in a country that treats homosexuals and women as second class citizens. Homosexuals deserve all of the rights and benefits of marriage that heterosexuals receive. Women deserve to be treated with respect and their salaries should not depend on their gender, but their quality of work. I am also thankful that the great, progressive state of California once again voted for the correct President. America is moving forward, and the direction is a positive one."

Filed: Timeline

Heads should roll in Nome. All of us this far up on the coast are iced in for the winter and we always make sure our fuel storage tanks are topped off right before the ice comes in. I have no idea what's up with Nome this year, but a lot of people up there should be losing their jobs over this one if not serving some time in jail also as it would be justified.

I say let em freeze for a bit to learn them a lesson or two. It would serve them right.

My friend in Nome said this happened because of that big storm with the huge winds and stuff that happened right before their last shipment of fuel was supposed to come in. They got iced in earlier than they were supposed to because of that storm. Yesterday she told me gas is $10/gal right now. I suggested she go back to Hawaii (where she lived before she lived in Nome) and she said there's no fuel for the planes to get out!

Life is a ticket to the greatest show on earth.

My friend in Nome said this happened because of that big storm with the huge winds and stuff that happened right before their last shipment of fuel was supposed to come in. They got iced in earlier than they were supposed to because of that storm. Yesterday she told me gas is $10/gal right now. I suggested she go back to Hawaii (where she lived before she lived in Nome) and she said there's no fuel for the planes to get out!

Not Mrs. C by any chance?

R.I.P Spooky 2004-2015

Filed: Timeline

Tell her I said hello. I had read somewhere a while back that they had moved to Alaska from Hawaii. What a climate change! I wish she'd pop in here and say hello once in a while. I hope things are going well for them.

ok I will tell her!

Life is a ticket to the greatest show on earth.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

I speak from experience when I say that -45 is not so cold that you can't go outside. Go chop a tree down. That's what people have done for thousands of years.

But not much experience living in Nome! Google it and look for pictures of those trees you want to cut! It would be quite a long hike!

The ice came in early this year but that's still no excuse. Every village and town on the Bering Sea including this one is supposed to be over 90% capacity by the end of September. Nome dropped the ball on this one. Kotzebue which is further north than Nome did it right and they are good to go fuel wise.

The plane thing sucks for sure. The fly 737's to Nome from Anchorage, but they refuel in Nome for the flight back.

btw today is our first day of temps above 0 since the middle of December. It's supposed to go down to -34 tomorrow night. :angry:

sigbet.jpg

"I want to take this opportunity to mention how thankful I am for an Obama re-election. The choice was clear. We cannot live in a country that treats homosexuals and women as second class citizens. Homosexuals deserve all of the rights and benefits of marriage that heterosexuals receive. Women deserve to be treated with respect and their salaries should not depend on their gender, but their quality of work. I am also thankful that the great, progressive state of California once again voted for the correct President. America is moving forward, and the direction is a positive one."

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

yup!

i thought that story sounded familiar - tell her hi from me too.

Do you set your wood on fire, literally? :blink::rofl:

never mistake the ben gay for the ky jelly. :blush:

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!