mr and mrs

Rick Santorum Gets Booed After Back-and-Forth on Same-Sex Marriage at New Hampshire College Event

47 posts in this topic

i have no religious connection to my husband. we are both atheist and we entered into a social contract that afforded us certain rights. also i ADORE him.

the definition of marriage has evolved. and will continue to do so no matter how vehemently DOMA supporters protest that that is not the case.

its a societal norm, to be committed to ONE person and live in wedded bliss.

santorum didnt say anything surprising as he is a vociferous oppnent of same-sex marriage. i think what was most interesting is that he even engaged in the discussion. i respect that he stepped outside of the saftey of smiling and ignoring a tough issue.

I'm not sure what neck of the woods you come from honey, but here it's a "societal norm" for a man and woman to be married. So you can save the "one person" spiel for people that want their cake and to eat it too. Now if people of the same sex want to play house and be legally married ...which is anything but "normal" then you might as well give the Mormons a break because now your opening a flood gate. If your going to go abnormal then be democratic about it and lets all the bats out of the belfry.

sigbet.jpg

"I want to take this opportunity to mention how thankful I am for an Obama re-election. The choice was clear. We cannot live in a country that treats homosexuals and women as second class citizens. Homosexuals deserve all of the rights and benefits of marriage that heterosexuals receive. Women deserve to be treated with respect and their salaries should not depend on their gender, but their quality of work. I am also thankful that the great, progressive state of California once again voted for the correct President. America is moving forward, and the direction is a positive one."

But he didn't discuss the issue at hand. Instead of addressing same sex marriage, he rather wanted to talk about polygamy. Exclusively so. He has essentially shown that he has no real argument against same sex marriage - aside from a biblical argument. A true American Taliban soldier.

i do agree that the exchange was not really a 'dicussion'.

21 oct 08 : i-129F sent / 22 oct 08 : NOA1 / 23 feb 09: NOA2 / 13 mar 09 : rec'd 'packet 3' / 28 mar 09 : rec'd 'packet 4' / 20 apr 09 : interview / 22 apr 09 : passport/visa delivery by courier / 29 apr 09 : POE @ PHL / <3 05 may 09 : married <3 / 06 jul 09 : AOS submitted / 09 jul 09 : NOA for EAD/AP/i-485 / 28 jul 09 : biometrics / 31 aug 09 : AP rec'd / 02 sep 09 : EAD rec'd / 19 oct 09 : conditional green card rec'd

16 jul 11 : i-751 sent to VSC (fedex)

18 jul 11 : fedex confirmed delivery; NOA1 generated

20 jul 11 : NOA1 notice rec'd; check cashed; touch

26 jul 11 : NOA2 generated

28 jul 11 : NOA2 biometrics appt letter rec'd

29 jul 11 : letter req biometrics appt rescheduling sent

09 aug 11 : biometrics appt (could not attend); NOA3 generated

11 aug 11 : NOA3 (rescheduled) biometrics appt letter rec'd

24 aug 11 : biometrics appt

14 oct 11 : conditional green card expiry date

16 nov 11 : filed AR-11 for LPR online

18 nov 11 : mailed i-865 for USC

22 nov 11 : moved house; NOA4 change of address for USC rec'd

13 dec 11 : filed AR-11 for LPR by phone

29 dec 11 : filed hardcopy AR-11 for LPR by mail

18 jan 12 : 6 month mark ROC

05 apr 12 : approval letter rec'd

16 jul 12 : n-400 filing window opens

immediate concerns:

none, immigration-wise.

I'm not sure what neck of the woods you come from honey, but here it's a "societal norm" for a man and woman to be married. So you can save the "one person" spiel for people that want their cake and to eat it too. Now if people of the same sex want to play house and be legally married ...which is anything but "normal" then you might as well give the Mormons a break because now your opening a flood gate. If your going to go abnormal then be democratic about it and lets all the bats out of the belfry.

please refrain from calling me 'honey'. its oh so condescending.

and i stand by my statemen that you quoted.

21 oct 08 : i-129F sent / 22 oct 08 : NOA1 / 23 feb 09: NOA2 / 13 mar 09 : rec'd 'packet 3' / 28 mar 09 : rec'd 'packet 4' / 20 apr 09 : interview / 22 apr 09 : passport/visa delivery by courier / 29 apr 09 : POE @ PHL / <3 05 may 09 : married <3 / 06 jul 09 : AOS submitted / 09 jul 09 : NOA for EAD/AP/i-485 / 28 jul 09 : biometrics / 31 aug 09 : AP rec'd / 02 sep 09 : EAD rec'd / 19 oct 09 : conditional green card rec'd

16 jul 11 : i-751 sent to VSC (fedex)

18 jul 11 : fedex confirmed delivery; NOA1 generated

20 jul 11 : NOA1 notice rec'd; check cashed; touch

26 jul 11 : NOA2 generated

28 jul 11 : NOA2 biometrics appt letter rec'd

29 jul 11 : letter req biometrics appt rescheduling sent

09 aug 11 : biometrics appt (could not attend); NOA3 generated

11 aug 11 : NOA3 (rescheduled) biometrics appt letter rec'd

24 aug 11 : biometrics appt

14 oct 11 : conditional green card expiry date

16 nov 11 : filed AR-11 for LPR online

18 nov 11 : mailed i-865 for USC

22 nov 11 : moved house; NOA4 change of address for USC rec'd

13 dec 11 : filed AR-11 for LPR by phone

29 dec 11 : filed hardcopy AR-11 for LPR by mail

18 jan 12 : 6 month mark ROC

05 apr 12 : approval letter rec'd

16 jul 12 : n-400 filing window opens

immediate concerns:

none, immigration-wise.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Unless Santorum is a better person than I suspect, he is never going to be able to get past what some members of the gay community did to him personally. (Google 'santorum') If he were able to find a way to mature in his views on gay rights and show a bit of humility for his past intolerance, he would probably reap enormous political benefit. Fortunately for Obama and the democrats, his religion probably will prevent that!

- That was not much of a booing considering the crowd.... in fact you might even say -He was well received. :thumbs:

-As to your suggestion that Santorum should "mature his views" ..... I would say this view has been around for most of Western History, I'd say that pretty mature by any standard.

Anyway he and Obama share the same basic viewpoint so whats the problem?

"I do not support gay marriage. Marriage has religious and social connotations, and I consider marriage to be between a man and a woman." – Barack Obama

type2homophobia_zpsf8eddc83.jpg

"Those people who will not be governed by God

will be ruled by tyrants."

William Penn

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Peru
Timeline

With a country as large as ours, and an even more large and diverse demographic of people, including different religions, belief systems and non-beliefs, it shouldn't surprise anyone that there is so much disagreement on so many different social issues... including this one.

Debating with a devout Catholic, such as Santorum, on a topic such as gay marriage is a pointless debate to be had. His belief system does not allow him to accept that as being socially or morally acceptable. The problem with having him as a possible president (which becomes a problem with almost every candidate) is that he does not represent all Americans' views. But no one ever really will, will they? We're such a large country with different "cultures" so to speak, spread all over.

You can say he needs to "mature his views" but that's not necesarily the case. Basically, he would be renouncing his faith. Which is basically what I did. But, that was my choice & it was a hard one. I don't expect everyone to be able to do what I did, and furthermore, I don't expect everyone to hold the same belief system as I do. I believe that gay marriage should be legal in this country. Luckily, I live in New York where many share the same views (of course, not all) and it has been made legal in this state.

205656_848198845714_16320940_41282447_7410167_n-1.jpg

Timeline

With a country as large as ours, and an even more large and diverse demographic of people, including different religions, belief systems and non-beliefs, it shouldn't surprise anyone that there is so much disagreement on so many different social issues... including this one.

To do a take off on your post, which was pretty insightful, I would say this.

Many on the Left are under the false assumption that gay marriage will end up being much like interracial marriage: In the end tolerated if not accepted.

This is where they misread coming events, the Gay marriage conflict in our country is just one never ending skirmish in the divisiveness this country is heading for. Gay marriage will be much like Abortion, an ongoing

battle, not settled social change.

As we exit the era of unified Christian understanding (on basic issues) we are foolish to believe that all these Faiths and Cultures and races and languages are somehow going to meld into one, I am less optimistic

and the fact that we can't even agree on such a basic thing as -What is a marriage... is one more reason for that.

It could be..... within a few decades even our Pledge of allegiance ... will need to be modified.

"One nation under God indivisible"

nation |ˈnā sh ən|

noun

a large aggregate of people united by common descent, history, culture, or language, inhabiting a particular country or territory.

William Penn

Timeline

To do a take off on your post, which was pretty insightful, I would say this.

Many on the Left are under the false assumption that gay marriage will end up being much like interracial marriage: In the end tolerated if not accepted.

This is where they misread coming events, the Gay marriage conflict in our country is just one never ending skirmish in the divisiveness this country is heading for. Gay marriage will be much like Abortion, an ongoing battle, not settled social change.

As we exit the era of unified Christian understanding (on basic issues) we are foolish to believe that all these Faiths and Cultures and races and languages are somehow going to meld into one, I am less optimistic and the fact that we can't even agree on such a basic thing as -What is a marriage... is one more reason for that.

It could be..... within a few decades even our Pledge of allegiance ... will need to be modified.

"One nation under God indivisible"

nation |ˈnā sh ən|

noun

a large aggregate of people united by common descent, history, culture, or language, inhabiting a particular country or territory.

I guess we'll just have to wait and see how things evolve in this country. But one thing I do have to say is that the U.S. has made the definition of "nation" much more questionable. As far as common descent, we have been unique from the start, as we are a nation made up of immigrants, our native population is almost literally gone.

As for "language," we are not unique in that regard, and are certainly not the first nation to have multiple languages in use at any one time (although many are strongly against this). Belgium has 3 or 4 languages spoken within its' borders (Flemish/Dutch, French, German & now the majority of the country speaks English). They too, have no official language. This is just one small example.

Also, you state that "the left" is mistaken in regards to same-sex marriage eventually being accepted/tolerated. In the same respect, "the right" (or as I prefer to say, the socially conservative) are also mistaken in that they feel their viewpoint on gay marriage is shared by the majority of Americans.

I think only time will tell what the result will be, but it will be interesting to see it pan out.

I guess we'll just have to wait and see how things evolve in this country. But one thing I do have to say is that the U.S. has made the definition of "nation" much more questionable. As far as common descent, we have been unique from the start, as we are a nation made up of immigrants, our native population is almost literally gone.

As for "language," we are not unique in that regard, and are certainly not the first nation to have multiple languages in use at any one time (although many are strongly against this). Belgium has 3 or 4 languages spoken within its' borders (Flemish/Dutch, French, German & now the majority of the country speaks English). They too, have no official language. This is just one small example.

Also, you state that "the left" is mistaken in regards to same-sex marriage eventually being accepted/tolerated. In the same respect, "the right" (or as I prefer to say, the socially conservative) are also mistaken in that they feel their viewpoint on gay marriage is shared by the majority of Americans.

I think only time will tell what the result will be, but it will be interesting to see it pan out.

Belgium is on the verge of splitting in half. It still doesn't have a government after over a year now.

sigbet.jpg

"I want to take this opportunity to mention how thankful I am for an Obama re-election. The choice was clear. We cannot live in a country that treats homosexuals and women as second class citizens. Homosexuals deserve all of the rights and benefits of marriage that heterosexuals receive. Women deserve to be treated with respect and their salaries should not depend on their gender, but their quality of work. I am also thankful that the great, progressive state of California once again voted for the correct President. America is moving forward, and the direction is a positive one."

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Debating with a devout Catholic, such as Santorum, on a topic such as gay marriage is a pointless debate to be had. His belief system does not allow him to accept that as being socially or morally acceptable. The problem with having him as a possible president (which becomes a problem with almost every candidate) is that he does not represent all Americans' views. But no one ever really will, will they? We're such a large country with different "cultures" so to speak, spread all over.

You can say he needs to "mature his views" but that's not necesarily the case. Basically, he would be renouncing his faith. Which is basically what I did. But, that was my choice & it was a hard one. I don't expect everyone to be able to do what I did, and furthermore, I don't expect everyone to hold the same belief system as I do. I believe that gay marriage should be legal in this country. Luckily, I live in New York where many share the same views (of course, not all) and it has been made legal in this state.

The problem comes within your last statement.

You think it should be legal in this country, but the only way that it should truly happen that way is if state-by-state it's legalized. The federal government has no business in marriage and should not start having such a business. Outside of tax laws, the Feds don't touch marriage and have always left it up to the states as a process within the confines of state borders.

The problem with homosexual marriage is that it's being talked about on a national level. This is not and should not be a worry of the President. The president shouldn't be worried about social issue period, but unfortunately ( thanks to religious zealots and those on the left who lack understanding of the 9th & 10th amendments ) we are stuck talking about trivial/meaningless things on a national scale.

We are a population well over 300 million people. The 3rd largest nation on this planet. Diversity is what makes us great, but it can also be what is ultimately our downfall if we let things be set on a national scale. States are mearly mini-nations and should be treated as such. The "United States" is much like the "United Nations" when you really break it down. The federal government is there to defend our borders and make sure that one state doesn't try to screw over another. Beyond that, it's all very questionable.

nfrsig.jpg

The Great Canadian to Texas Transfer Timeline:

2/22/2010 - I-129F Packet Mailed

2/24/2010 - Packet Delivered to VSC

2/26/2010 - VSC Cashed Filing Fee

3/04/2010 - NOA1 Received!

8/14/2010 - Touched!

10/04/2010 - NOA2 Received!

10/25/2010 - Packet 3 Received!

02/07/2011 - Medical!

03/15/2011 - Interview in Montreal! - Approved!!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

You owe me a new keyboard.

me too!

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Timeline

Belgium is on the verge of splitting in half. It still doesn't have a government after over a year now.

Well that stinks. We're not doing much better though, either. :( We have a government, albeit dysfunctional.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Greece
Timeline

What I don't understand is that some states already allow gay marriage. Since this is a free country, why don't the gays move to those states and enter into their marriage? They would become mini-gay havens. Same with states with strict illegal immigrant laws, why don't the illegals head to states are illegal friendly? To me it's like the smoking laws. Before they were entered into law, there were some smoke free restaurants and bars. Unfortunately in the free market, they didn't fare to well against those who allowed smoking; so they made all places smoke free to "level the playing field." Under the guise of being good for public health. There are states that allow it, go there and "be free/equal" don't try and bring the federal gov't into it at all.

Edited by kytwell

Timeline

First let me say I enjoy your posts because I sense you are an "honest conversationalist". :thumbs:

-When you say our "native population is literally gone, I take it you mean the Native Americans, formerly known as Indians?

The N.A. where never really considered "our" nation or peoples (with limited exceptions. YOu make treaties with foreign entities not domestic. As time when on, we have come to consider The Indian people as "our people" but this is fairly recent, even still they retain rights no other Americans do.

-As was pointed out Belgium because of it's Diversity of people is projected to split. But please feel free to name a few other countries where mulitple languages was a point of strength. :D

-As for the national opinion on Gays and gay-marriage: Look we have had a good 15 years of presenting Gays in the most favorable light in Media, one can hardly watch a sitcom, movie or TV program

without a gay Character and that roll comes in only one of three veritable s

- 1. The Charming likable (Ellen degeneres)

-2 Sympathetic, the innocent victim.

-3. The overcomer/ hero.

The repetition of lessons taught over and over is: The Person who does not favor the Homosexual lifestyle is the villain, the bad guy with a "outdates" veiwpoint....who often "comes around" by the end of the last segment.

This is honest terms is called a "monopoly of thought" projected on the masses and especially the youth which have not come to a cogent decision on the question of Gay Marriage because for most they have only heard one opinion 99 percent of the time.

To suppose we (as a nation) are going to *put gay marriage behind us* .....ONe would have to believe that this country, the Most religious western nation in the world will suddenly abandon, one of it's most clearly founded moral tenets and embrace the idea - That men marrying men is normal or acceptable.

Even the Churches which have grown to accept this new morality, are a dying lot, their numbers plummet by the year, where as Churches which have more clarity is teachings, more traditionally biblical standards seem to be the places of growth. Where ever you live, take note of the last five Churches which built a new facility..... I can nearly guarantee it was not a Methodist Church.

Researched have found "modifying or softening" ones stance on many issues is the long-term kiss of death for so many denominations, what happens is, kids who grow up in these "non-judgemental" houses of worship, eventually say "whats the point" as the time comes to take their kids too church.

Again, Gay marriage will but one shining example the "Coming fractures" we will soon be facing in this country..... and they will not come because we are "too much alike" they will be because we "are too diverse."

William Penn

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

All the same, his logic is solid. If the right to happiness means you can do whatever you want so long as no one gets hurt, then 3 men in a marriage should be legal. So should one man and two women. So should four men, two women, and a horse (provided you can prove the horse isn't getting hurt).

I'm OK with this. How would it hurt you or anyone else?

How is it less damaging than allowing Katy Perry to marry a man for a year or Kim Kardashian to marry a man for what, 18 days? :lol:

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla