Ryan H

NVC Filers - January 2012

1,078 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Japan
Timeline

And the person who endorsed my photo for my UK police certificate received a phone call from them today. So things are moving, just slowly.

Really? The person who signed my wife's photo didn't receive a call, although being Japanese might have had something to do with that.

Timeline

I have a question.

I just got a checklist that said I don't meet the income requirements and the consular officer will make a decision at the interview. It suggested that I submit paperwork from a joint sponsor.

It's obvious that I don't meet the income requirements. I wrote my current income as only the money I will make for the first 3 months this year because that's when my contract expires at my job. I'm not renewing for another year and I included a letter from my boss stating that for domicile purposes. So it wouldn't have been accurate at all to write income for a full year from my job. I'm about $8000 short for the year for what I need to make (just under $28,000 for a household of 4 since we have 2 children). Regardless, since my income won't continue in America, I've always understood that it would be discounted anyway and I would essentially be at $0 for the year.

But, I was counting on my assets being the main part of my support. I've got about 4 times the poverty level in cash savings, so that qualifies me because the threshold for a spouse is 3 times.

Anyway, my question is about a joint sponsor. My mother has agreed to do this, and I've got all the paperwork ready to go. She makes far more than is necessary. But I don't want to submit it to the NVC in case the consular officer will approve the visa on the assets alone. We will take this paperwork to the embassy for the interview, and if they say that we need a joint sponsor because I don't have a job yet in America, we will give them the paperwork.

Is this something that will slow down receiving the visa? Is the consular officer the one that would review the paperwork and make a decision, or do they have to submit it to the NVC and have them clear it?

We can't really afford any significant delays at this point, but we don't want my mother to be a joint sponsor if it's not necessary.

After all that action through the NVC, I feel weirdly powerless again...like waiting for the NOA2, but not even able to prepare anything for the next step. Should I be doing anything other than calling? Is there a guide for the next steps that I'm missing somewhere? (This is Canada specific, but I'm confused by the express mailer/registering for DHL business...)

For signing up for the DHL, I'd suggest waiting until after the interview date has been scheduled and your case has been shipped off and give it another week to arrive at Montreal. The official instructions on how to sign up are here: http://usvisa-info.com/en-CA/selfservice/us_immigrant_visas Click the first link in the middle of the page called 'IV Applicant Needing to Register for DHL'. And when I signed up last April, I took screenshots and wrote my own steps, which you can find in this blog post of mine: http://journeythroughimmigration.blogspot.com/2011/04/dhl-location-chosen-interview.html (click on the first link in that post). And of course, if you have problems signing up, I'd be glad to help as much as I can.

While you're waiting for the interview, all you can really do is prepare for the medical and interview. Make sure your husband has all his vaccines and the flu shot. This will save money if he needs to get them done at the panel physician!

I have a question.

I just got a checklist that said I don't meet the income requirements and the consular officer will make a decision at the interview. It suggested that I submit paperwork from a joint sponsor.

It's obvious that I don't meet the income requirements. I wrote my current income as only the money I will make for the first 3 months this year because that's when my contract expires at my job. I'm not renewing for another year and I included a letter from my boss stating that for domicile purposes. So it wouldn't have been accurate at all to write income for a full year from my job. I'm about $8000 short for the year for what I need to make (just under $28,000 for a household of 4 since we have 2 children). Regardless, since my income won't continue in America, I've always understood that it would be discounted anyway and I would essentially be at $0 for the year.

But, I was counting on my assets being the main part of my support. I've got about 4 times the poverty level in cash savings, so that qualifies me because the threshold for a spouse is 3 times.

Anyway, my question is about a joint sponsor. My mother has agreed to do this, and I've got all the paperwork ready to go. She makes far more than is necessary. But I don't want to submit it to the NVC in case the consular officer will approve the visa on the assets alone. We will take this paperwork to the embassy for the interview, and if they say that we need a joint sponsor because I don't have a job yet in America, we will give them the paperwork.

Is this something that will slow down receiving the visa? Is the consular officer the one that would review the paperwork and make a decision, or do they have to submit it to the NVC and have them clear it?

We can't really afford any significant delays at this point, but we don't want my mother to be a joint sponsor if it's not necessary.

Wasn't your case closed though? I'd call up NVC and ask about this.

I'd also bring the I-864 your mother filled out, proof of her US residency/citizenship, and her tax information. It might not be needed if you explain to the officer that you have enough assets well above the poverty line. Make sure you bring proof of your assets! If the officer doesn't like it, then say you have all the paperwork for a sponsor. It won't be sent to NVC; the officer (and the consulate/embassy) will be the ones to review (and deny/approve) it.

Timeline
Wasn't your case closed though? I'd call up NVC and ask about this.

I'd also bring the I-864 your mother filled out, proof of her US residency/citizenship, and her tax information. It might not be needed if you explain to the officer that you have enough assets well above the poverty line. Make sure you bring proof of your assets! If the officer doesn't like it, then say you have all the paperwork for a sponsor. It won't be sent to NVC; the officer (and the consulate/embassy) will be the ones to review (and deny/approve) it.

Yes, my case was closed. The checklist was just a recommendation based on my reported income, rather than a requirement. My guess is that it is automatically generated for anyone that qualifies using assets to supplement income.

I called NVC and they said I was approved based on my assets. He said (just as you did), that the consular officer would make the decision and it shouldn't delay things beyond a normal interview.

I've got everything I need to submit for my mother's I-864 and copies of every document sent into NVC, so I'm ready to go! :thumbs:

Yes, my case was closed. The checklist was just a recommendation based on my reported income, rather than a requirement. My guess is that it is automatically generated for anyone that qualifies using assets to supplement income.

I called NVC and they said I was approved based on my assets. He said (just as you did), that the consular officer would make the decision and it shouldn't delay things beyond a normal interview.

I've got everything I need to submit for my mother's I-864 and copies of every document sent into NVC, so I'm ready to go! :thumbs:

Good that you've got everything in order. Just bring it to the interview and hope you won't need it.

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

I already sent the aos and IV packet in 1 package but w/ 2 different envelopes inside... I was just a bit worried because on the courier envelope this is what a wrote:

TO: National Visa Center

Attn: cmr and cmr aos

31 rochester....

would that be a problem w/ me putting 2 attentions on it? thanks for your answers =)

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Really? The person who signed my wife's photo didn't receive a call, although being Japanese might have had something to do with that.

I'm guessing it's one of those random checks. I don't know what was asked but I'll find out when I next see my friend.

1 Dec 2011 Mailed I-130
8 Dec 2011 NOA 1
20 Dec 2011 NOA 2

NVC

17 Jan 2012 Phoned NVC. Case Number allocated
18 Jan 2012 Emails received re AOS fee and Agent
20 Jan 2012 Electronic opt in email sent & response received
20 Jan 2012 AOS fee paid
20 Jan 2012 Form DS-261 Choice of agent filed
27 Jan 2012 Email received re choice of agent received. Can now pay IV bill
29 Jan 2012 IV bill paid
31 Jan 2012 Received written notification case at NVC (dated 18 Jan)
8 Feb 2012 Emailed AOS
9 Feb 2012 DS-260 submitted online & docs emailed
14 Feb 2012 Case Complete
5 Mar 2012 received email - interview date 10 April
10 Apr 2012 Visa Approved
10 Apr 2012 Email from Loomis - passport picked up from Consulate

June 2012 Moved back to US

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: France
Timeline

The photo on the poutine wikipedia page is disgusting (not the most beautiful dish to begin with...), so I'm going to link you to this far more reputable poutine source instead: http://www.restolabanquise.com/

(And sorry to everyone for getting off topic!)

:rofl:

OK, nothing to do with Russian politicians then! I didn't know the poutine specialty.

CR1 Visa

USCIS STAGE: 16 days No expedite request but USC residing abroad
NVC STAGE: 19 days from case # to case complete
EMBASSY STAGE
03/27/12: interview - APPROVED
04/12/12: POE San Diego

ROC
12/19/14: received reminder letter from USCIS to file for ROC
01/15/14: sent I-751 application

05/14/14: received card production notification by e-mail, approval date 05/13

Naturalization

02/01/24: N-400 submitted online; Biometrics reuse notice received immediately online; "case being actively reviewed" after a couple hours

02/09/24: received NOA1 by mail

02/10/24: received biometrics reuse notice by mail

04/08/24: interview scheduled for 05/14. Received "We have taken an action in your case" email.

05/14/24: approved at interview, same-day oath ceremony in San Francisco 🥳 🇺🇸

Timeline

Our AOS was not based on assets, but we're doing the same: my mother-in-law agreed to be a joint sponsor in case the embassy requests one (because my husbands last 3 years of tax transcripts only show income earned abroad), but we didn't submit it to the NVC, we will just bring all the documents to the embassy, in case they're needed. I believe they won't, because Colin started his job in the US and he's got a certificate from his employer, but I'd better be safe than sorry.

CR1 Visa

EMBASSY STAGE

ROC

Naturalization

02/01/24: N-400 submitted online; Biometrics reuse notice received immediately online; "case being actively reviewed" after a couple hours

04/08/24: interview scheduled for 05/14. Received "We have taken an action in your case" email.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

The AOS and IV fee are generated but I cant log into the online payment portal. The browser either unloads or it appears error when I try to pay selected fee. Their system has error now right? And I know I am a little hurried, my husband is on business trip and I dont want to wait for my attorney. Can I use my sister's checking account (she's living in the US now) and choose "I am the Principal Applicant" to pay for the fees? Or use her account, and choose "Third party Agent"? I know both options dont sound right but I kinda wanna be proactive after waiting so long for approval from USCIS. Thanks for all input.

03/04/2010: Getting married

06/06/2011: Submit I-130. Case is at CSC

06/08/2011: NOA1

01/06/2012: NOA2

01/23/2012: Case number assigned

01/26/2012: AOS Bill and IV Bill invoiced

05/10/2012: Paid AOS and IV fees

08/20/2012: Sent AOS and IV packets

08/22/2012: NVC received AOS and IV packets

08/29/2012: Case complete

11/06/2012: Interview date appointment received

12/04/2012: Interview date. Approved!!!

Timeline

The AOS and IV fee are generated but I cant log into the online payment portal. The browser either unloads or it appears error when I try to pay selected fee. Their system has error now right? And I know I am a little hurried, my husband is on business trip and I dont want to wait for my attorney. Can I use my sister's checking account (she's living in the US now) and choose "I am the Principal Applicant" to pay for the fees? Or use her account, and choose "Third party Agent"? I know both options dont sound right but I kinda wanna be proactive after waiting so long for approval from USCIS. Thanks for all input.

As I was trying to see if I got a sign in fail yesterday, I noticed that the website was unstable. It wouldn't load most of the times.

I can't really answer your other questions, my husband has a US account and he used his own information.

CR1 Visa

EMBASSY STAGE

ROC

Naturalization

Hey all,

A lot of you seem to have had an experience different than mine, and mine went through faster, so maybe something is getting done differently. or maybe i just got very lucky? I'm getting a bit of a headache trying to keep track of everyone's steps so i'll spell it out here.

1. 12/07/11 NOA2

2. 01/06/12 Found package received by phone

3. 01/08/12 Sent request to make me agent from my wife's email address. Did this 2 times (1 for her, 1 for son)

4. 01/11/12 Got email back from NVC saying that the email request had to come from the petitioner, not my wife. This was ironic since i was doing both.

5. 01/11/12 Sent email back to NVC from my id including the email that they sent to her. I asked if it was ok for me to just request it for my wife and son.

6. 01/13/12 DS-3032 approved with MNL case number in email

7. 01/17/12 Got both AOS and IV bill for my son on the same day.

8. 01/17/12 Paid both the AOS and IV bill for my son at same time. Actually two separate transactions, minutes apart. Both marked pending immediately. The Cover page was available immediately, not after it turned 'paid'

9. 01/18/12 My wife's IV bill shows up and I tried to pay, but it was 'grayed' out.

10. 01/18/12 Mailed AOS package for wife and son. Payment still set to pending. Sent at almost 11pm, so didn't go out until 01/19

11 01/19/12 AOS and IV for son marked paid

12 01/20/12 AOS package received in NH

13 01/20/12 system let me pay wife's IV bill, Cover page generated immediately, payment pending.

14 01/20/12 Mailed IV package for wife and son on night of 20th.

15 01/23/12 IV package received in NH

16 01/23/12 wife's IV payment marked paid

17 01/25/12 Voice system says that there was a problem. My paperwork was impeccable (lol) so i called operator. She was very nice and said that it was because the IV pack hadn't arrived yet. I told her that it got there two days earlier. She said they just hadn't processed it yet, it would clear by itself, not to worry. She was really nice.

18. 01/26/12 On way to bed, thought i'd call again for kicks. Both cases complete.

Pretty awesome, no? I didn't wait on them for anything but two days to respond to the 3032 (and 3 wasted coz i sent from her email). Then i waited for her payment button to 'ungray' so that i could pay. But it was completely online, really fast, and timing was exact.

What about this process wouldn't work for everyone? Why was i allowed to get the cover letter before the payment went from processing to paid? It seems like i skipped past a lot of the little waiting steps and all i did was click the buttons on the payment portal.

Divine intervention, new process, luck?

I got through in 20 days, could have shaved 3 if i had sent the original 3032 from my email. I still don't understand that, i thought it was from beneficiary?

Anyway, anything here that could save someone time in the future?

Timeline

Hey all,

A lot of you seem to have had an experience different than mine, and mine went through faster, so maybe something is getting done differently. or maybe i just got very lucky? I'm getting a bit of a headache trying to keep track of everyone's steps so i'll spell it out here.

1. 12/07/11 NOA2

2. 01/06/12 Found package received by phone

3. 01/08/12 Sent request to make me agent from my wife's email address. Did this 2 times (1 for her, 1 for son)

4. 01/11/12 Got email back from NVC saying that the email request had to come from the petitioner, not my wife. This was ironic since i was doing both.

5. 01/11/12 Sent email back to NVC from my id including the email that they sent to her. I asked if it was ok for me to just request it for my wife and son.

6. 01/13/12 DS-3032 approved with MNL case number in email

7. 01/17/12 Got both AOS and IV bill for my son on the same day.

8. 01/17/12 Paid both the AOS and IV bill for my son at same time. Actually two separate transactions, minutes apart. Both marked pending immediately. The Cover page was available immediately, not after it turned 'paid'

9. 01/18/12 My wife's IV bill shows up and I tried to pay, but it was 'grayed' out.

10. 01/18/12 Mailed AOS package for wife and son. Payment still set to pending. Sent at almost 11pm, so didn't go out until 01/19

11 01/19/12 AOS and IV for son marked paid

12 01/20/12 AOS package received in NH

13 01/20/12 system let me pay wife's IV bill, Cover page generated immediately, payment pending.

14 01/20/12 Mailed IV package for wife and son on night of 20th.

15 01/23/12 IV package received in NH

16 01/23/12 wife's IV payment marked paid

17 01/25/12 Voice system says that there was a problem. My paperwork was impeccable (lol) so i called operator. She was very nice and said that it was because the IV pack hadn't arrived yet. I told her that it got there two days earlier. She said they just hadn't processed it yet, it would clear by itself, not to worry. She was really nice.

18. 01/26/12 On way to bed, thought i'd call again for kicks. Both cases complete.

Pretty awesome, no? I didn't wait on them for anything but two days to respond to the 3032 (and 3 wasted coz i sent from her email). Then i waited for her payment button to 'ungray' so that i could pay. But it was completely online, really fast, and timing was exact.

What about this process wouldn't work for everyone? Why was i allowed to get the cover letter before the payment went from processing to paid? It seems like i skipped past a lot of the little waiting steps and all i did was click the buttons on the payment portal.

Divine intervention, new process, luck?

I got through in 20 days, could have shaved 3 if i had sent the original 3032 from my email. I still don't understand that, i thought it was from beneficiary?

Anyway, anything here that could save someone time in the future?

Well, this timeline is not particularly shorter than any of us here who got CCs! Except for the time you spent waiting for a case number, which was not as long as mine.

The bar code is available as soon as you pay the fee, however it is recommended to wait for it to change to PAID before you send the corresponding package just to avoid possible trouble: if your payment didn't clear (say, problem with your bank, mistake in your info...), your package could be rejected and you would just lose time waiting to get it back and sending it again. So I would not recommend doing this, especially just to save about 1 business day.

Same for what you did with the choice of agent: sending it before a case number is assigned is very likely to cause a rejection, and they're not going to accept it until they have assigned the case number anyway.

See, it took you 18 days from sending first DS3032 email to case complete, and it took me 19 days, although we waited a day to pay each fee and I sent my IV package from France. :)

CR1 Visa

EMBASSY STAGE

ROC

Naturalization

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.