kate2326

Length of Relationship

20 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-5 Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I wonder whether anyone would be able to tell me if the length of time you have been together is a large factor when USCIS consider the K1 petition.

We are looking to send the forms off in November and would have been together for five months by that point where we would have had three trips, an average of 350 mins of talk time, loads of msn chats, pictures galore (including ones with family members) and other trip related receipts.

If the length of relationship does matter, would it help our case if we showed we had known each other for 10 years before we got together? And that I had visitied SC (where he was before he moved) on average about 3 times a year for those 10 years.

Thx

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
I wonder whether anyone would be able to tell me if the length of time you have been together is a large factor when USCIS consider the K1 petition.

We are looking to send the forms off in November and would have been together for five months by that point where we would have had three trips, an average of 350 mins of talk time, loads of msn chats, pictures galore (including ones with family members) and other trip related receipts.

If the length of relationship does matter, would it help our case if we showed we had known each other for 10 years before we got together? And that I had visitied SC (where he was before he moved) on average about 3 times a year for those 10 years.

Thx

No the length of time is not a requirement per se.... you only have to prove meeting within the last 2 years. In your situation as described, you will be fine....

YMMV

Timeline

Thx

No the length of time is not a requirement per se.... you only have to prove meeting within the last 2 years. In your situation as described, you will be fine....

Thanks for the help. My brother was to blame for the doubt. He came in saying that he thought it would be a problem and it got me to thinking that perhaps he had a point!

Filed: Other Timeline

Thx

I agree! It does not matter really! how long you have been in the relationship and i would not exagerate the time you have known each other, All they want to see is photos, Plane tickets, Your both free to marry, Any or ALL the documentation of correspondence i.e. letters, cards, MSN chat prints, Phone bill (If you do not use a phone card), There is a whole lot more you can present, Overkill the better.

Good luck :thumbs:

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

Thx

There is no minimum length of time, but............

You have to understand what they are looking for and why there's an Interview in the first place. The Consular Officer will try to determine if the 2 of you have been together long enough to have established a serious and valid relationship. Do you know each other enough to be married? From the time you establish as the start of the relationship until the date you file the K1 is the period they are looking at. The whole thing behind the Interview is to eliminate the marriages that are fake. That's why you need to provide solid proof of relationship with evidence. So the big thing the Consular Officer has to do is to make that determination and it is based on the interview, your evidence and that gray area involving the length of time you've been "together".

If you can show that you've been together for a long time, perfect. But if you can only show that you've known each other for 3 months before filing for a K1, the Consular Officer will have to make a judgement call. Is it possible that a valid relationship exists here and do these 2 people know enough about each other to be married? Sometimes people are denied a Visa. Other times not. It is all on you to prove to the CO that this thing is real!

So if you've got good, solid evidence of a valid and true relationship, you should not have anything to worry about.

Fernanda's Timeline

K-1

June 2, 2006 - Mailed K1 Petition

Jun 28, 2006 - NOA1

Oct 05, 2006 - NOA2 - APPROVED after 122 days

Dec 05, 2006 - Received Packet 3 from Consulate

Dec 11, 2006 - Medical Examination in Belo Horizonte

Jan 10, 2007 - Returned Packet #3 to Consulate (SEDEX-10)

Mar 13, 2007 - INTERVIEW SUCCESS! We have our K-1 VISA !!

POE & Texas Wedding

Mar 27, 2007 - POE Houston, TX. No questions. Gone in 10 minutes.

Mar 28, 2007 - Marriage License app

April 4, 2007 - Our Wedding Day!

April 12, 2007 - Apply for SS card with married name

April 20, 2007 - Received SS card

AOS

June 4, 2007 - Mailed AOS

June 6, 2007 - USCIS received

June 11, 2007 - NOA1 for I-485

July 18, 2007 - Biometrics completed

July 20, 2007 - Case transferred from MSC to CSC

July 31, 2007 - AOS Approved - 57 days - Without an Interview!

Aug 06, 2007 - Received Green Card in the mail today!

Jan 8, 2009 @ 8:18PM - Our son was born tonight !!

I-751 - Remove Conditions

July 11, 2009 - Certified Mail to VSC I-751 Package

July 14, 2009 - Check cleared bank

July 20, 2009 - NOA1 & 1 yr extension - Receipt date is July 14. Case# assigned

Sept 1, 2009 - Biometrics completed

Nov 25, 2009 - I-751 is approved. No Interview.

Dec 14, 2009 - 10yr Green Card arrived !

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Joey has a good point. At the immigration level if you prove you've met int he past 2 years you'll be fine. But at the interview you'll have to tell the consular how you met and most likely when, and it will be up to his subjective judgment whether you two have a bonafide relationship or not. So, it's not how long you've been together that counts, but how strong is your relationship (and your proof of it).

(Puerto Rico) Luis & Laura (Brazil) K1 JOURNEY
04/11/2006 - Filed I-129F.
09/29/2006 - Visa in hand!

10/15/2006 - POE San Juan
11/15/2006 - MARRIAGE

AOS JOURNEY
01/05/2007 - AOS sent to Chicago.
03/26/2007 - Green Card in hand!

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS JOURNEY
01/26/2009 - Filed I-751.
06/22/2009 - Green Card in hand!

NATURALIZATION JOURNEY
06/26/2014 - N-400 sent to Nebraska
07/02/2014 - NOA
07/24/2014 - Biometrics
10/24/2014 - Interview (approved)

01/16/2015 - Oath Ceremony

*View Complete Timeline

Timeline

Thanks for the advice.

As I said, I have got all my passports and stamps that show that I have consistently visited SC over the last 10 years and getting witness statements wouldn't be a problem. So, in that respect I can confirm that I know him. Plus all of the hours we rack up on the phone and msn everyday...I am personally not doubting that I know him at all, and I know he would say the same about me. It was more whether they look at the time frame we have been together or if they take the whole picture into account.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline
Thanks for the advice.

As I said, I have got all my passports and stamps that show that I have consistently visited SC over the last 10 years and getting witness statements wouldn't be a problem. So, in that respect I can confirm that I know him. Plus all of the hours we rack up on the phone and msn everyday...I am personally not doubting that I know him at all, and I know he would say the same about me. It was more whether they look at the time frame we have been together or if they take the whole picture into account.

Kate2326,

You are good to go!

Fernanda's Timeline

K-1

June 2, 2006 - Mailed K1 Petition

Jun 28, 2006 - NOA1

Oct 05, 2006 - NOA2 - APPROVED after 122 days

Dec 05, 2006 - Received Packet 3 from Consulate

Dec 11, 2006 - Medical Examination in Belo Horizonte

Jan 10, 2007 - Returned Packet #3 to Consulate (SEDEX-10)

Mar 13, 2007 - INTERVIEW SUCCESS! We have our K-1 VISA !!

POE & Texas Wedding

Mar 27, 2007 - POE Houston, TX. No questions. Gone in 10 minutes.

Mar 28, 2007 - Marriage License app

April 4, 2007 - Our Wedding Day!

April 12, 2007 - Apply for SS card with married name

April 20, 2007 - Received SS card

AOS

June 4, 2007 - Mailed AOS

June 6, 2007 - USCIS received

June 11, 2007 - NOA1 for I-485

July 18, 2007 - Biometrics completed

July 20, 2007 - Case transferred from MSC to CSC

July 31, 2007 - AOS Approved - 57 days - Without an Interview!

Aug 06, 2007 - Received Green Card in the mail today!

Jan 8, 2009 @ 8:18PM - Our son was born tonight !!

I-751 - Remove Conditions

July 11, 2009 - Certified Mail to VSC I-751 Package

July 14, 2009 - Check cleared bank

July 20, 2009 - NOA1 & 1 yr extension - Receipt date is July 14. Case# assigned

Sept 1, 2009 - Biometrics completed

Nov 25, 2009 - I-751 is approved. No Interview.

Dec 14, 2009 - 10yr Green Card arrived !

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

It's all about the whole picture that you paint to the interviewing officer. Craig and I have only known each other since February, but I truly believe our "picture" is very complete. We have lifelong plans, similar upbringings and goals, and a very adult relationship. We talk (literally) 6-8 hours a day between phone and AIM. And I believe that will be obvious to any person that is reviewing our evidence or interviewing us in person.

I might not have much insight, but I really think it's like most things, it's all about a combination of elements. If you have a short courtship, and for example, don't speak the same language. Or if you have a short courtship and don't appear to know much about each other. It'll be more damaging that just one element. Of course, be prepared to explain and prove the depth of your relationship (I thoroughly plan on bringing a binder with every page of our AIM convos, every email, and all of our phone records for the past 8 months, which may appear to be TOO much for most, but I'd rather be safe than sorry).

Hope this helps!

:star: Cass (bebop the great)

us.gif

timeline.gif

K-1

Service Center: California (transferred from Nebraska)

Consulate: Vancouver, Canada (transferred from Montreal)

06.17.2006 — Engagement!

08.23.2006 — NOA1

11.01.2006 — NOA2

01.25.2007 — Interview—APPPROOOVVEEEDD!!

02.12.2007 — Entry date!

03.01.2007 — Applied for SSN.

03.08.2007 — Social Security Card arrives! :)

03.17.2007 — Wedding day! Happy St. Patty's Day! YAY! :D

AOS/EAD

04.30.2007 — AOS/EAD Mailed off (No AP)

05.02.2007 — Arrives in Chicago.

05.08.2007 — NOA1 for AOS/EAD

06.01.2007 — Biometrics (and EAD Touch)

06.14.2007 — AOS Touch

06.17.2007 — AOS Transferred to CSC

06.19.2007 — AOS Touch

06.20.2007 — AOS Touch

06.21.2007 — AOS Touch (They must be doing something!)

07.25.2007 — EA Card Arrives. YAY! :)

09.03.2007 — AOS Touch, something finally!

09.05.2007 — AOS Touch

09.07.2007 — AOS Touch

09.09.2007 — AOS Touch

09.10.2007 — AOS Touch

09.11.2007 — AOS Approval without interview

09.17.2007 — Welcome to America! Letter arrives

09.29.2007 — Green card arrives! WOOO! No more USCIS until 06/09.

Filed: Timeline
All they want to see is photos, Plane tickets, Your both free to marry, Any or ALL the documentation of correspondence i.e. letters, cards, MSN chat prints, Phone bill (If you do not use a phone card), There is a whole lot more you can present, Overkill the better.

Not necessarily. And there are many threads here that discuss that overkill of evidence is not good. Enough to prove you met is all that's needed for the initial application.

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...c=33843&hl=

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

I agree.

Overkill = bad for the initial petition. You risk a good chance of just bogging down the reviewer and maybe throwing up a red flag about trying to prove something (being on the defensive).

If you feel the need to overkill, bring it to the interview, where you'll have a higher burden to prove.

:star: Cass (bebop the great)

Not necessarily. And there are many threads here that discuss that overkill of evidence is not good. Enough to prove you met is all that's needed for the initial application.

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...c=33843&hl=

us.gif

timeline.gif

K-1

Service Center: California (transferred from Nebraska)

Consulate: Vancouver, Canada (transferred from Montreal)

06.17.2006 — Engagement!

08.23.2006 — NOA1

11.01.2006 — NOA2

01.25.2007 — Interview—APPPROOOVVEEEDD!!

02.12.2007 — Entry date!

03.01.2007 — Applied for SSN.

03.08.2007 — Social Security Card arrives! :)

03.17.2007 — Wedding day! Happy St. Patty's Day! YAY! :D

AOS/EAD

04.30.2007 — AOS/EAD Mailed off (No AP)

05.02.2007 — Arrives in Chicago.

05.08.2007 — NOA1 for AOS/EAD

06.01.2007 — Biometrics (and EAD Touch)

06.14.2007 — AOS Touch

06.17.2007 — AOS Transferred to CSC

06.19.2007 — AOS Touch

06.20.2007 — AOS Touch

06.21.2007 — AOS Touch (They must be doing something!)

07.25.2007 — EA Card Arrives. YAY! :)

09.03.2007 — AOS Touch, something finally!

09.05.2007 — AOS Touch

09.07.2007 — AOS Touch

09.09.2007 — AOS Touch

09.10.2007 — AOS Touch

09.11.2007 — AOS Approval without interview

09.17.2007 — Welcome to America! Letter arrives

09.29.2007 — Green card arrives! WOOO! No more USCIS until 06/09.

From what I've seen in this process, very little that meets the requirements is an automatic 'problem'; it's more the picture you paint. There's a difference between 'dating three months, known him 10 years, used to visit him all the time' and 'dating three months, don't speak her language but the translator assured me she loves me' in terms of the picture it paints.

Seems like you have enough primary evidence. In your answer to Q18 on the I-129F, you could note that you met ten years ago, have been friends for a long time with lots of visits, and became a romantic couple on XX/XX/XXXX and are now engaged. That will help paint the right picture.

But for the first round, all you need to do is prove that you've met.

AOS

-

Filed: 8/1/07

NOA1:9/7/07

Biometrics: 9/28/07

EAD/AP: 10/17/07

EAD card ordered again (who knows, maybe we got the two-fer deal): 10/23/-7

Transferred to CSC: 10/26/07

Approved: 11/21/07

Filed: Country: Bolivia
Timeline

So what do you all think of about a 3 month courtship time until filing the petition and my being 15 years older then he is. Met on a mission trip and have many things in common, goals, plans in spite of the age difference. I have been wondering if they were going to look at it weirdly.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Australia
Timeline

weirdly? prob. not. I'm sure they've seen it all! BUT They will question you...to see if it's legit...you know? so be prepared!

Finally finished with immigration in 2012!

familyxmas-1-1.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.