visaveteran1

What is the best 9mm auto pistol for HD?

148 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

OK, gun enthusiasts and warriors, what is your recommendation for a 9mm home defense auto handgun. Let's but a $650 cap on the price tag not including shipping, tax, ffl, etc. Not able to buy a Wilson Combat auto for $3000. Ability to conceal carry is a plus but my focus is on home defense.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Education is what you get from reading the small print. Experience is what you get from not reading it.

The Liberal mind is where logic goes to die!

I have a Glock 27 and a Ruger P85 (now a P89 I think i'm giving away the age of it). Of the two, I prefer the Glock BUT it has no safety, the safety is in the trigger itself so if you have young ones keep it far, far out of their reach. The Ruger is kind of bulky and I do not like how loose the trigger is on shots 2-16.

The 27 is great for concealed carry - its the short version. Standard is the short 10-round mag BUT the 16 round Glock 17 mags fit perfectly (they are a little extended)

Hope that helps!

OK, gun enthusiasts and warriors, what is your recommendation for a 9mm home defense auto handgun. Let's but a $650 cap on the price tag not including shipping, tax, ffl, etc. Not able to buy a Wilson Combat auto for $3000. Ability to conceal carry is a plus but my focus is on home defense.

i don't get it.

Timeline

Ah yes, FPSRussia...how appropriate for our forum. Where does this kid get his hands on such hardcore weapons? His father must deal arms. I'm always trying to determine if he's in the states or Russia. He does some crazy stuff with his vids. Very entertaining.

"And, as always, have nice day."

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

Of the two, I prefer the Glock BUT it has no safety, the safety is in the trigger itself so if you have young ones keep it far, far out of their reach.

surely you should be keeping all guns (not just the ones that dont have any safety) far far out of the reach of young ones??

I-129F SENT............................................08/15/2011

NOA1 TEXT/EMAIL...................................08/22/2011

NOA2 TEXT/EMAIL. NO RFE.....................01/05/2012

NVC RECEIVED......................................01/21/2012

NVC LEFT...............................................01/24/2012

PACKET 3 RECEIVED..............................02/01/2012

PACKET 3 RETURNED.............................02/04/2012

MEDICAL................................................02/17/2012

DS-2001 MAILED.....................................02/23/2012

PACKET 4 RECEIVED..............................03/02/2012

INTERVIEW............................................03/14/2012 APPROVED

POE ATLANTA.........................................04/03/2012

AOS approved 3/29/13 after almost 10 months of waiting. No RFE's and no interview.

Timeline

I have a Glock 27 and a Ruger P85 (now a P89 I think i'm giving away the age of it). Of the two, I prefer the Glock BUT it has no safety, the safety is in the trigger itself so if you have young ones keep it far, far out of their reach. The Ruger is kind of bulky and I do not like how loose the trigger is on shots 2-16.

The 27 is great for concealed carry - its the short version. Standard is the short 10-round mag BUT the 16 round Glock 17 mags fit perfectly (they are a little extended)

Hope that helps!

Thanks for your feedback! I am looking at Glocks for sure. The "no safety" is a plus for me. No little ones around. My biggest issue with Glocks is their appearance. Never loved the look. But...everybody seems to love them.

I am not up on Ruger autos. I did briefly own a SP101 snubby revolver. Too heavy for 5 shots and I could not hit with it. Probably needed a trigger job.

surely you should be keeping all guns (not just the ones that dont have any safety) far far out of the reach of young ones??

Too bad you guys can't own even a sling-shot in merry ole England without going to prison. The Empire is truly dead.

Long live the 2nd Amendment.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

It doesn't need to look sexy, it just needs to function. Another Glock fan here... for 9mm, either 17 or 19 (flip a coin to decide, IMO, there's really no appreciable difference) - the 26 was far too small for my hands.

Best of luck with your search and hope you find something that works for ya...

Timeline

And, at some point, we should, as responsible fathers, put a gun in our "young ones" hands and teach them the art and safety of firearms shooting. My son started at 8 years old. My wife at the time pitched a fit. I told her this was a father thing and to stay out of it. Today, my adult son owns more guns than me and is a crack shot. He has a CHP and carries. He, like me, fears no evil...when armed. He is a civilian sheepdog...not a sheep waiting for slaughter.

I dont keep loaded guns in the house. They're locked up.

A gun for home defense implies otherwise and this is a particular (and mentionable) downside of this make and model.

i don't get it.

NOTE: My young ones can shoot though....LOL

I dont keep loaded guns in the house. They're locked up.

A gun for home defense implies otherwise and this is a particular (and mentionable) downside of this make and model.

i don't get it.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

Too bad you guys can't own even a sling-shot in merry ole England without going to prison. The Empire is truly dead.

Long live the 2nd Amendment.

lol yeah... i fired a gun for the first time in my life last christmas when i went to visit Jenni. she owns a ladysmith 357, her mom has a home defender shotgun, her dad has a couple of magnums and 2 or 3 glocks, some 9mm, and i believe a few military grade guns (not that im sure what they are)... and her auntie has a bushmaster AR-15 M4 carbine... and i can honestly say that all this came as a huge shock to someone who had never even seen a gun up until that point lol.

I-129F SENT............................................08/15/2011

NOA1 TEXT/EMAIL...................................08/22/2011

NOA2 TEXT/EMAIL. NO RFE.....................01/05/2012

NVC RECEIVED......................................01/21/2012

NVC LEFT...............................................01/24/2012

PACKET 3 RECEIVED..............................02/01/2012

PACKET 3 RETURNED.............................02/04/2012

MEDICAL................................................02/17/2012

DS-2001 MAILED.....................................02/23/2012

PACKET 4 RECEIVED..............................03/02/2012

INTERVIEW............................................03/14/2012 APPROVED

POE ATLANTA.........................................04/03/2012

AOS approved 3/29/13 after almost 10 months of waiting. No RFE's and no interview.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Peru
Timeline

I have a Glock 19 and it is a great pistol. It ALWAYS works, even if you are lazy and don't take proper care of it. Thbis is not my experience but military that uses it in mud and rain conditions. I highly suggest using Glazer safety rounds for the rounds for defense. They are expensive but, do not travel well thru walls. To be honest, if you really think you need home defense, NOTHING and I mean NOTHING will make an invader leave quicker then the sound of a large dog( which can be a very loving pet and also very protective of family) and if that doesn't work, the sound of a pump shotgun being racked and ready to fire

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

The best 9mm is a .45

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Timeline

It doesn't need to look sexy, it just needs to function. Another Glock fan here... for 9mm, either 17 or 19 (flip a coin to decide, IMO, there's really no appreciable difference) - the 26 was far too small for my hands.

Best of luck with your search and hope you find something that works for ya...

Thanks...lots of Glock fans out there. I must say I admire Austrian craftsmanship. Which makes me ask are they still made in Austria or also in the USA? I know there is a Glock plant in Georgia and some debate as to whether they actually make the Glocks, just assemble them, or only make the frames.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

No. I started teaching the young ones when they were young about guns. By the time they were toddlers guns had no fascination for them and they were shooting them where appropriate. You cannot child-proof a gun but you CAN gun-proof children.

The only loaded gun in this house is on my hip.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.