jordanianprincess

Question about B-2 Visa

7 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Jordan
Timeline

Hi Everyone,

I have a question regarding B-2 visitor/toursit visas. If this has been answered before, I apologize. I have tried searching the forum and DOS but can't find the answer.

When the embassy issues a toursit (B-2) visa for a specified period of time, for example, 3 months. Do you have until the end of those three months to travel to the USA or do you need to be back in your home country by the time the visa expires? I know that you get a stampled I-94 at the POE but does that date supercede the one on the original visa?

Thanks,

JP

~jordanian_princess~

October 19, 2006 - Interview! No Visa yet....on A/Psigns038.gif

ticker.png

Jordanian Cat

jordaniancat.jpg

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
Hi Everyone,

I have a question regarding B-2 visitor/toursit visas. If this has been answered before, I apologize. I have tried searching the forum and DOS but can't find the answer.

When the embassy issues a toursit (B-2) visa for a specified period of time, for example, 3 months. Do you have until the end of those three months to travel to the USA or do you need to be back in your home country by the time the visa expires? I know that you get a stampled I-94 at the POE but does that date supercede the one on the original visa?

Thanks,

JP

A visa typically has two "clocks". The first is the expiration date on the visa. The second clock is the 90 day clock after arrival. You must leave the country on or before whichever "clock" (date) expires first.

For example, if you get a visa that for example, has a 12/31/06 expiration date but you do not enter the country until 11/01/06, you will need to return upon the expiration date of 12/31/06, eventhough you have only been in country for about 60 days. The date on the POE I-94 does NOT extend the date of the expirationon the visa.

On the other hand, if your visa has an expiration date of for example, 06/31/07 and you entered the country on 01/01/07 your 90 day clock expires first (on or about 03/31/07) at which time you will be expected to leave on or before that date.

I hope this helps....

YMMV

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

The B2 is basically a visa that allows you to apply for admittance at a Port of Entry.

They are usually issues for 10 years multi entries, but can be issued for shorter periods and simgle entries.

You can travel during its validity, assuming you are admitted to the US the norm is to be granted a 6 month entry, occasionally it can be shorter but this is rare.

You are in status for the duration of the 6 months and must leave within 6 months, the date of expiry will be shown on the I-94 which is stapled to your Passport by the Immigration Officer.

So you could enter the daye before your Visa expires, stay 6 months and leave with no issues.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Other Country: Mongolia
Timeline
POE will determine your duration of stay, relative to the visa in your passport and indicate it on the I-94.

The dates on the visa allows you to enter to the US within that particluar period of time. But Point of entry will determine how long one can stay in the US. It will be stamped on the passport and on I-94 form. Usually they give 6 months, and if it's necessary you can request to extend your stay before your I-94 date expires. But you need to have a valid reason for it.

Edited by anxiousmom

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hi Everyone,

Thanks,

JP

A visa typically has two "clocks". The first is the expiration date on the visa. The second clock is the 90 day clock after arrival. You must leave the country on or before whichever "clock" (date) expires first.

For example, if you get a visa that for example, has a 12/31/06 expiration date but you do not enter the country until 11/01/06, you will need to return upon the expiration date of 12/31/06, eventhough you have only been in country for about 60 days. The date on the POE I-94 does NOT extend the date of the expirationon the visa.

On the other hand, if your visa has an expiration date of for example, 06/31/07 and you entered the country on 01/01/07 your 90 day clock expires first (on or about 03/31/07) at which time you will be expected to leave on or before that date.

I hope this helps....

This info is not right.

If the visa is valid through 12/31/06, the holder could enter the US on 12/30/06, be admitted for 6 months (I-94) and stay the entire time on the I-94.

The visa is permission to show up and ask to be let in. Once in, the I-94 rules.

Now That You Are A Permanent Resident

How Do I Remove The Conditions On Permanent Residence Based On Marriage?

Welcome to the United States: A Guide For New Immigrants

Yes, even this last one.. stuff in there that not even your USC knows.....

Here are more links that I love:

Arriving in America, The POE Drill

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

alt.visa.us.marriage-based http://britishexpats.com/ and www.***removed***.com

censored link = *family based immigration* website

Inertia. Is that the Greek god of 'can't be bothered'?

Met, married, immigrated, naturalized.

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

No Deje Piedras Sobre El Pavimento!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Jordan
Timeline

Hi Everyone,

Thanks,

JP

I hope this helps....

This info is not right.

If the visa is valid through 12/31/06, the holder could enter the US on 12/30/06, be admitted for 6 months (I-94) and stay the entire time on the I-94.

The visa is permission to show up and ask to be let in. Once in, the I-94 rules.

Thanks everyone for the replies! I was a bit concerned about that 2 clocks thing but I don't think its true.

~jordanian_princess~

October 19, 2006 - Interview! No Visa yet....on A/Psigns038.gif

ticker.png

Jordanian Cat

jordaniancat.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.