pbgirl

German baby names

32 posts in this topic

"Authentic German name"? No. I have a German friend whose father was from Britain, but who lives in Germany with his German wife, and their daughter's name is Amy.

That said, as people said above, there are restrictions on what sort of name you can give.

Bethany (NJ, USA) & Gareth (Scotland, UK)

-----------------------------------------------

01 Nov 2007: N-400 FedEx'd to TSC

05 Nov 2007: NOA-1 Date

28 Dec 2007: Check cashed

05 Jan 2008: NOA-1 Received

02 Feb 2008: Biometrics notice received

23 Feb 2008: Biometrics at Albuquerque ASC

12 Jun 2008: Interview letter received

12 Aug 2008: Interview at Albuquerque DO--PASSED!

15 Aug 2008: Oath Ceremony

-----------------------------------------------

Any information, opinions, etc., given by me are based entirely on personal experience, observations, research common sense, and an insanely accurate memory; and are not in any way meant to constitute (1) legal advice nor (2) the official policies/advice of my employer.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Timeline
"Authentic German name"? No. I have a German friend whose father was from Britain, but who lives in Germany with his German wife, and their daughter's name is Amy.

That said, as people said above, there are restrictions on what sort of name you can give.

Those restrictions being nothing but protective for the child. You cannot name a child anything obscene, degrading or offensive. So, no, ** or Azz would not fly as a name for a baby. Big deal. You can, however, choose what is referred to as "fantasy names" which essentially means that the name you choose can be just about anyhting and doesn't really need to be a name anywhere else in the world - it just cannot be obscene, degrading or offensive. Names ought to give a hint at the gender of the person - if a fantasy name doesn't meet that requirement, a second name must be selected that does give a way the gender of the person. Family names cannot be used as first names as FK pointed out above.

It's all in all just a bunch of common sense stuff rather than some strict regulation.

But read for yourself (if you can) :P :

Per Gesetz werden keine konkreten Vorgaben für die Auswahl von Vornamen getroffen. Daher sind die Eltern bei der Namenswahl grundsätzlich nicht an rechtliche Grenzen gebunden. Aus diesem Grund können grundsätzlich traditionelle oder modernen Namen, deutsche oder ausländische Namen oder sogar frei erfundene Fantasienamen nach Belieben ausgewählt werden. Die freie Namenswahl findet lediglich ihre Grenzen in allgemeinen gesetzlichen Verboten (§ 134 BGB), dem Sittengesetz (§ 138 BGB) und vor allem dem Wohl des Kindes bzw. dessen allgemeinem Persönlichkeitsrecht, welches durch die Namensgebung nicht gefährdet bzw. verletzt werden darf.

Zu beachten ist zunächst, dass die Vornamen eine Ordnungsfunktion erfüllen sollen. Dies bedeutet, dass schon allein durch den Vornamen erkennbar sein soll, welchem Geschlecht der jeweilige Namensträger angehört. Probleme können sich hier insbesondere bei ausländischen Namen und bei Fantasienamen ergeben. Bei geschlechtsneutralen Vornamen wird auf Grund der Ordnungsfunktion ein zweiter Vorname verlangt, welcher eindeutig zu einem Geschlecht zugeordnet werden kann. Grundsätzlich als sittenwidrig und damit als unzulässig werden Namen angesehen, die dazu geeignet sind das religiöse Empfinden zu verletzen. Unzulässig wäre daher zum Beispiel der Name Jahwe, da eine derartige Namensgebung gegen das Zweite der Zehn Gebote verstoßen würde. Unzulässig sind auch Namen die allein dazu dienen sollen eine politische Gesinnung der Eltern zum Ausdruck zu bringen. Ebenfalls werden von deutschen Gerichten Nachnamen als Zusatz von Vornamen nicht gebilligt. In anderen Rechtskreisen ist es teilweise üblich einem Kind als zweiten Vornamen denjenigen Familiennamen eines Elternteils zu geben, der im Geburtsnamen des Kindes keine Berücksichtigung gefunden hat. Ein solches Vorgehen wird, wie bereits erwähnt, von deutschen Gerichten nicht gebilligt. Dagegen kann die Verwendung von Sachbegriffen als Vorname oder die Verwendung von Fantasienamen als Vorname grundsätzlich nicht als unzulässig angesehen werden. Jedoch muss auch hier im Einzelfall immer darauf geachtet werden, dass die gewählten Namen der oben beschriebenen Ordnungsfunktion nachkommen und sie nicht dazu geeignet sind das Wohl des Kindes zu gefährden.

Quelle

Filed: Country: Pitcairn Islands
Timeline

I think it is a good idea. Then you don't end up with such autrocities like Aryan Justice, Urhines Kendall Icy Eight Special K, and Nevaeh.

It doesn't have to be a German name, just a recongnized one of which there are many. You can dispute it in court if you like.

My friend recently moved to Germany and was telling me that if you have a baby in Germany that you have to give it a German name. What?? Is this true or is she misinformed? And something about having to show it was a boy's name vs. a girl's name. I was totally surpised and caught off guard on hearing this.

So just curious, is this true? You really have to find an authentic German name for a newborn?

I remember hearing about this years ago; apparently it is true!

24 June 2007: Leaving day/flying to Dallas-Fort Worth

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline

no :no: its not true at all....

blackribbonsmall.png

Walk with the angels

let them keep you safe

we'll join you one day

in that wonderful place

stand on the clouds and never forget

we're holding on to you

in our memories and thoughts

until one day we'll meet again

Truly missed but never forgotten:

Diana

RIP 1982-08/2008

Verena

RIP 1983-03/2008

Daddy

RIP

"IMMIGRATION" PROCESS (TIMELINE):CLICK HERE

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline

1. the name must clearly identify the child's gender

2. the name should not be offensive or ridicule a child

3. you cant name your child Osama bin ladin, Jesus, Judas, Hitler, Pumuckel...

blackribbonsmall.png

Walk with the angels

let them keep you safe

we'll join you one day

in that wonderful place

stand on the clouds and never forget

we're holding on to you

in our memories and thoughts

until one day we'll meet again

Truly missed but never forgotten:

Diana

RIP 1982-08/2008

Verena

RIP 1983-03/2008

Daddy

RIP

"IMMIGRATION" PROCESS (TIMELINE):CLICK HERE

My friend recently moved to Germany and was telling me that if you have a baby in Germany that you have to give it a German name. What?? Is this true or is she misinformed? And something about having to show it was a boy's name vs. a girl's name. I was totally surpised and caught off guard on hearing this.

So just curious, is this true? You really have to find an authentic German name for a newborn?

I remember hearing about this years ago; apparently it is true!

Apparently, you haven't read the posts above. :no:

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: India
Timeline

Hummm....thanks for the answers. Interesting way to keeping track but it seems like you can't have as many unique names in this way. And it has got to be interesting with cultural names from foreign countries.

That said, I think it is great that Germany at least supplmements the income of every mother and child.

Filed: Other Country: Germany
Timeline
Hummm....thanks for the answers. Interesting way to keeping track but it seems like you can't have as many unique names in this way. And it has got to be interesting with cultural names from foreign countries.

Cultural names from foreign countries are not an issue at all. There are many Germans who have English, French, Turkish, Ghanaan, Indian, and so on names. And as someone said, you can always try to contest a name-rejection, and in many cases it is successful, as long as you can prove that it's a name.

That said, I think it is great that Germany at least supplmements the income of every mother and child.

Yeah, I agree. However, the income supplements are for the child, so that fathers or guardians can be recipients as well. :)

Permanent Green Card Holder since 2006, considering citizenship application in the future.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Australia
Timeline

I think it's a good idea...I had a friend in Hs whose mother named each of her children after what she had eaten before giving birth...

His name was Taco.

His brother is Apple.

not making this up...

really...

Finally finished with immigration in 2012!

familyxmas-1-1.jpg

I don't think it's just Germany that has that sort of law, but a few other European countries, too.

AOS

-

Filed: 8/1/07

NOA1:9/7/07

Biometrics: 9/28/07

EAD/AP: 10/17/07

EAD card ordered again (who knows, maybe we got the two-fer deal): 10/23/-7

Transferred to CSC: 10/26/07

Approved: 11/21/07

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Eine gute Idee! We don't need anymore people naming their poor kids Pilot Inspektor, Banjo and Lucifer (I know a kid named Lucifer and I really believe his parents are chop-you-know-whats).

AOS, EAD - 115 days from mailing AOS to conditional Green Card in Hand

06-07-08 - File to remove conditions

4/28/09 - Moved to CSC

06-20-09- Received 10 year Greencard

Citizenship

07-09-09 - Filed N-400

Joel 2:25 (Amplified Bible) And I will restore or replace for you the years that the locust has eaten--the hopping locust, the stripping locust, and the crawling locust, My great army which I sent among you.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline

I think the law is fine, and as pointed out, you have plenty of options to name your child. Just not weird names like Hitler & co.

E.g. one of my best friend's name is Nicola. She is a woman. However that name in France and Italy is a male name. So the local government asked her parents to add a middle name, which is 100% female. Her middle name is Verena. So no big deal! ;)

As for international names: you won't believe how many Justins and Britneys are playing these days on German playgrounds ;)

Lg Anna

AOS

8-4-2006 Date of NOA's

1-4-2007 Green Card in mail

Removal of conditions

9-29-2008 I-751 delivered to CSC

12-29-2008 Green Card ordered :)

Citizenship

10-15-2011 Package sent to NSC

10-17-2011 NOA Priority Date

11-25-2011 Biometrics done

11-29-2011 In line for interview scheduling... woohoo!

12-20-2011 Interview scheduled ...received letter 3 days later

01-24-2012 Interview & Oath

Done!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
So, "Apfel" would not be a possible name, since it is the name for a thing, but any first names work just fine.

Oh, poo.

So much for "Geruecht" and "Kundschafter". :P

Me -.us Her -.ma

------------------------

I-129F NOA1: 8 Dec 2003

Interview Date: 13 July 2004 Approved!

US Arrival: 04 Oct 2004 We're here!

Wedding: 15 November 2004, Maui

AOS & EAD Sent: 23 Dec 2004

AOS approved!: 12 July 2005

Residency card received!: 4 Aug 2005

I-751 NOA1 dated 02 May 2007

I-751 biometrics appt. 29 May 2007

10 year green card received! 11 June 2007

Our son Michael is born!: 18 Aug 2007

Apply for US Citizenship: 14 July 2008

N-400 NOA1: 15 July 2008

Check cashed: 17 July 2008

Our son Michael is one year old!: 18 Aug 2008

N-400 biometrics: 19 Aug 2008

N-400 interview: 18 Nov 2008 Passed!

Our daughter Emmy is born!: 23 Dec 2008

Oath ceremony: 29 Jan 2009 Complete! Woo-hoo no more USCIS!