Jenn!

Doctor seeks army discharge

29 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

I disagree with this however:

soldiers do not have the right or responsibility to make decisions for themselves.

There is such a thing as an "illegal" order - so to suggest that soldiers shouldn't have or act on moral and ethical principles (which ordinarily should not conflict with their soldiers' oath) perpetuates the "robot" stereotype of the armed forces.

actually correct, erekose

yeah... I'm still surprised at times how many ppl thing that the military is all about mindless drones. some act it to be sure... but come on... no right to make decisions for themselves? :huh:

James & Sara - Aug 12, 05

Humanity... destined to pass the baton shortly.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Yeah, sorry but you join, you get money, you get training, you become a doctor, YOU DO YOUR DUTY!!!

Technically doctors do not participate in war they clean up after it. Do they fire guns unless they are a front lines medic? So technically she is only perserving human life that comes to her and requires her skills.

Paul

I disagree with this however:

soldiers do not have the right or responsibility to make decisions for themselves.

There is such a thing as an "illegal" order - so to suggest that soldiers shouldn't have or act on moral and ethical principles (which ordinarily should not conflict with their soldiers' oath) perpetuates the "robot" stereotype of the armed forces.

actually correct, erekose

yeah... I'm still surprised at times how many ppl thing that the military is all about mindless drones. some act it to be sure... but come on... no right to make decisions for themselves? :huh:

From my understanding the chain of command is parmount to a successful army. If everyone decides to make decision on what was fair/right/wrong then you would no longer have a coherient fighting force. Now if a platoon leader says kill that baby then I dont know to many sane people that would follow that order.

Basic training is all about stripping the individual and molding the unit while giving the individual the tools they need to properly confirm orders to ensure accurate copletion of missions.

In the Nuclear Navy we could refuse an order if it put the plant or public in danger. If it turned out you were wrong you would be f#cked. Battle conditions were another story.. in fact each nuke plant had a 'battle-short' switch that would override safety interlocks. Only the captain could order this and if he did he would probably be dead or a hero when it was all over.

"The fact that we are here today to debate raising America’s debt limit is a sign of leadership failure. It is a sign that the U.S. Government can’t pay its own bills. It is a sign that we now depend on ongoing financial assistance from foreign countries to finance our Government’s reckless fiscal policies."

Senator Barack Obama
Senate Floor Speech on Public Debt
March 16, 2006

barack-cowboy-hat.jpg
90f.JPG

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
Only the captain could order this and if he did he would probably be dead or a hero when it was all over.

does glowing in the dark count as an award? :whistle:

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

it does in some places....

Peace to All creatures great and small............................................

But when we turn to the Hebrew literature, we do not find such jokes about the donkey. Rather the animal is known for its strength and its loyalty to its master (Genesis 49:14; Numbers 22:30).

Peppi_drinking_beer.jpg

my burro, bosco ..enjoying a beer in almaty

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...st&id=10835

Timeline

From my understanding the chain of command is parmount to a successful army. If everyone decides to make decision on what was fair/right/wrong then you would no longer have a coherient fighting force. Now if a platoon leader says kill that baby then I dont know to many sane people that would follow that order.

Basic training is all about stripping the individual and molding the unit while giving the individual the tools they need to properly confirm orders to ensure accurate copletion of missions.

there is a difference though between cohesive fighting force.... and mindless drone. you can still think for yourself and make decisions... just be prepared to answer for them.

there is a difference though between cohesive fighting force.... and mindless drone. you can still think for yourself and make decisions... just be prepared to answer for them.

true bro mirror, and always make the right choice

Peace to All creatures great and small............................................

But when we turn to the Hebrew literature, we do not find such jokes about the donkey. Rather the animal is known for its strength and its loyalty to its master (Genesis 49:14; Numbers 22:30).

Peppi_drinking_beer.jpg

Timeline

Never Polka in a mine-field :thumbs:

agreed..or say .."hey watch this" and pull the pin on a grenade

Never Polka in a mine-field :thumbs:

Peppi_drinking_beer.jpg

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline
This has been on VJ several times.... does anyone know what happened to the Captain from Hawaii? I forget his name, but I know he had a thread several pages long on here when he refused to go to Iraq. What ever happened to that guy?

His situation was different. He refused to be deployed to Iraq on legal grounds - that he felt our military's presence and actions there were on false pretenses and therefore illegal. He even asked to be deployed instead to Afghanistan.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

This has been on VJ several times.... does anyone know what happened to the Captain from Hawaii? I forget his name, but I know he had a thread several pages long on here when he refused to go to Iraq. What ever happened to that guy?

His situation was different. He refused to be deployed to Iraq on legal grounds - that he felt our military's presence and actions there were on false pretenses and therefore illegal. He even asked to be deployed instead to Afghanistan.

situation was not different - he refused to deploy, the rest was an excuse. which combat area one is deployed to is pot luck and not subject to the desires of the individual.

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Filed: Timeline
she should be court marshalled, and she should be sent to Leavenworth.

Agreed!

Awww, he agreed, how sweet....was club med Jamaica full? He could've requested that instead :rolleyes: