Dagnammit

HELP - never received my RFE in the mail

30 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

Try not to panic. My husband's case was forwarded to the CSC also (which many on here say is code for "no interview" green card) and we received an RFE after the case was forwarded. We didn't frontload the application.. no pics, nothing extra, just what USCIS requests. My worry was that we didn't put enough proof, extra stuff etc... in there. However,in the end, my husband forgot to sign one document. Simple as that. No big deal. The case is back on track and we expect approval soon or possibly an interview appointment. I know you are nervous, but try hard to not worry.. it's not worth it.

• 2 weeks later...

Try not to panic. My husband's case was forwarded to the CSC also (which many on here say is code for "no interview" green card) and we received an RFE after the case was forwarded. We didn't frontload the application.. no pics, nothing extra, just what USCIS requests. My worry was that we didn't put enough proof, extra stuff etc... in there. However,in the end, my husband forgot to sign one document. Simple as that. No big deal. The case is back on track and we expect approval soon or possibly an interview appointment. I know you are nervous, but try hard to not worry.. it's not worth it.

Still haven't received new RFE in the mail. InfoPass appointment is tomorrow morning. If they gave us a 90 day deadline when they originally sent it, we're almost 30 days away from it now. :(

This is so frustrating.

So had InfoPass this morning. They sent me to an office upstairs where I dealt with the first very helpful human in the flesh in this entire process! He looked at my paperwork and said that everything looked in order, and that he couldn't see what the RFE (that we still haven't received) is for, but that he did show that our case was moved to be adjucated on December 16. This would have been three days after I called on the 13th to say we hadn't received the RFE they mailed November 11. He gave me a form email to send out to USCIS that says we still have not received the RFE from either date, and if they need any further information from us to contact us. He seemed to think this meant that someone else looked at my case when they got the notice to re-send the RFE, that person decided the RFE might not matter, and that I'd receive my green card soon. Does this seem plausible? What exactly does adjucation mean here? If anyone can weigh in I'd be grateful.

Edited by Dagnammit

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Adjudicated means approved or sent for interview.

Adjudicated means approved or sent for interview.

Well that's wonderful albeit confusing news! I guess we send this email like the InfoPass man instructed, and then if the second RFE ever does show up, do we give them what it asks for? Has anyone ever heard of anything like this happening before, getting approved before an RFE is answered? So strange.

Edited by Dagnammit

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

I don´t know if it is possible, but maybe the website status was wrong and there never was an RFE? Here´s hoping you hear something soon!

event.png

So I check our status today on uscis.gov and now it says "On January 4, 2012, we mailed a notice requesting additional evidence or information in this case I485 APPLICATION TO REGISTER PERMANENT RESIDENCE OR TO ADJUST STATUS." January 4! After requesting them to re-send on Dec 13! And going in for InfoPass on Dec 28 and the guy saying it showed it was moved to be adjudicated. WTH?! If this is a re-send of the original RFE supposedly mailed Nov 11 that we never received, we should be receiving it about two weeks before it's due. Great. Still no idea what it's for or if anyone at USCIS is on the same page. Very bad mood about this.

So I check our status today on uscis.gov and now it says "On January 4, 2012, we mailed a notice requesting additional evidence or information in this case I485 APPLICATION TO REGISTER PERMANENT RESIDENCE OR TO ADJUST STATUS." January 4! After requesting them to re-send on Dec 13! And going in for InfoPass on Dec 28 and the guy saying it showed it was moved to be adjudicated. WTH?! If this is a re-send of the original RFE supposedly mailed Nov 11 that we never received, we should be receiving it about two weeks before it's due. Great. Still no idea what it's for or if anyone at USCIS is on the same page. Very bad mood about this.

Oh my god, this sounds like a nightmare. I am so sorry you're having to deal with this and hope your RFE is for something very simple and easy. I have never heard about anything like this happening to anyone since I've been reading the VJ forums... I'm kind of surprised more people haven't commented on this thread.

K-1:
April 21, 2010: I-129F Sent (from London to VSC)
April 27, 2010: NOA1, check cashed
July 9, 2010: NOA2 (hardcopy)
July 12, 2010: NVC sent petition to embassy in London
October 7, 2010: Packet 3 logged at embassy
November 3, 2010: Interview: APPROVED!
December 7, 2010: POE: JFK
December 10, 2010: Wedding

AOS:
April 27, 2011: Sent I-485, I-864, EAD and AP to Chicago
May 5, 2011: Received text notifications, check cashed
May 9, 2011: NOA hardcopy via mail
May 14, 2011: RFE (for incorrectly filling out I-693)
June 3, 2011: Biometrics
June 17, 2011: RFE response delivered
June 21, 2011: Case under RFE review
June 23, 2011: Transferred to CSC!
June 29, 2011: EAD and AP approved!
July 9, 2011: EAD/AP card arrived via mail
January 4, 2012: RFE
January 28, 2012: RFE response delivered
January 30, 2012: Case under RFE review
February 8, 2012: Green card in production!
February 14, 2012: Green card received in mail

ROC:

December 4, 2013: Sent I-751 to Vermont Service Center

December 9, 2013: NOA1

January 13, 2014: Biometrics

May 15, 2014: Green card in production!

UPDATE: Received the RFE in the mail yesterday, January 10, despite them being notified we didn't receive it by December 13. It says our response is due Feb 1. They are requesting court records. I was arrested in 2004 for stealing cigarettes (while drunk, I was young and foolish, a one time thing, and paid for them after being arrested), given a caution, charges dropped, no court date. For the K-1 visa process I of course got my my police certificate and subject access form, which stated that no charges were pressed and a caution was given. My interviewer at the London Embassy asked about it briefly during my interview, and when I explained he said, "But it never happened again, right?" and I said this was correct and he breezed right through and that was that. I sent in the subject access form again (a copy, not the original) with our AOS package. I'm not sure why they're suddenly interested in this, but the papers they want 1) don't exist, as there was no court date, and 2) in the time it's taken them to finally get this bloody RFE to me, I don't have time to get anything from the MPS or PNC in London stating that no records exist due to no charges being pressed, etc, because their standard turn around time is 40 days from receipt. This is quite the pickle and I am beyond frustrated.

If I'd received this RFE back in November, when they claimed to have originally sent it, I'd still have a hell of a time trying to get the papers that the American government requires that I don't think the English government actually produces in such a situation. I imagine this is all because I sent a copy instead of an original, and some stickler saw it and decided to make things more complicated and asked for more details. But now I have two weeks, basically, and nothing useful can be done. Are they going to deny me for this?! And if so, can I re-apply?

Edited by Dagnammit

Timeline

UPDATE: Received the RFE in the mail yesterday, January 10, despite them being notified we didn't receive it by December 13. It says our response is due Feb 1. They are requesting court records. I was arrested in 2004 for stealing cigarettes (while drunk, I was young and foolish, a one time thing, and paid for them after being arrested), given a caution, charges dropped, no court date. For the K-1 visa process I of course got my my police certificate and subject access form, which stated that no charges were pressed and a caution was given. My interviewer at the London Embassy asked about it briefly during my interview, and when I explained he said, "But it never happened again, right?" and I said this was correct and he breezed right through and that was that. I sent in the subject access form again (a copy, not the original) with our AOS package. I'm not sure why they're suddenly interested in this, but the papers they want 1) don't exist, as there was no court date, and 2) in the time it's taken them to finally get this bloody RFE to me, I don't have time to get anything from the MPS or PNC in London stating that no records exist due to no charges being pressed, etc, because their standard turn around time is 40 days from receipt. This is quite the pickle and I am beyond frustrated.

If I'd received this RFE back in November, when they claimed to have originally sent it, I'd still have a hell of a time trying to get the papers that the American government requires that I don't think the English government actually produces in such a situation. I imagine this is all because I sent a copy instead of an original, and some stickler saw it and decided to make things more complicated and asked for more details. But now I have two weeks, basically, and nothing useful can be done. Are they going to deny me for this?! And if so, can I re-apply?

I would make an INFOPASS. I would take everything you have an explain there ARE no court records. Maybe they require you to get something stating there is no court record?

Yes if you're denied you can re-apply (pay the fees and everything again) but you'll still need to overcome this later.

I would make an INFOPASS. I would take everything you have an explain there ARE no court records. Maybe they require you to get something stating there is no court record?

Yes if you're denied you can re-apply (pay the fees and everything again) but you'll still need to overcome this later.

In addition to the above advice, I wonder if it's worth responding with the copy of what you'd already submitted (the subject access form) and a letter explaining what happened and why there were no court records. I realise this might not satisfy exactly what they're asking, but it would mean you've responded to their request within the time frame (and might then give you more time to gather evidence from the UK, if they then require further information). Don't know if anyone else on here can advise as to whether that's the right thing to do or not...?

L

Timeline

In addition to the above advice, I wonder if it's worth responding with the copy of what you'd already submitted (the subject access form) and a letter explaining what happened and why there were no court records. I realise this might not satisfy exactly what they're asking, but it would mean you've responded to their request within the time frame (and might then give you more time to gather evidence from the UK, if they then require further information). Don't know if anyone else on here can advise as to whether that's the right thing to do or not...?

They won't RFE twice for the same thing. If she doesn't reply correcting they will deny her :( So I'd make an INFOPASS to find out exactly what would be accepted.

They won't RFE twice for the same thing. If she doesn't reply correcting they will deny her :( So I'd make an INFOPASS to find out exactly what would be accepted.

Thanks both for your responses. Have made InfoPass for week from today. Last time I went the man told me our case had been moved to be adjudicated, so let's see what we learn ("learn") this time.

Also thought maybe we could just send them confirmation from the MPS that those sort of UK records aren't available, but I doubt we could even get our request to the MPS and get their repsonse back in time to answer the RFE. There's typically a 40 day wait on anything from the MPS, and we now have two and half weeks. So discouraged about this. Thought we were so close, just waiting by now!

Edited by Dagnammit

Another thing that still confuses me is that on our Dec 27 Infopass appt, he said he showed our case had been moved to be adjudcated on Dec 16. The consensus here was that adjudcated meant interview or approval. Did it perhaps just mean it had been moved to have the RFE re-sent? Does this make any sense to anyone?

Timeline

Another thing that still confuses me is that on our Dec 27 Infopass appt, he said he showed our case had been moved to be adjudcated on Dec 16. The consensus here was that adjudcated meant interview or approval. Did it perhaps just mean it had been moved to have the RFE re-sent? Does this make any sense to anyone?

I think it was sent to be looked at for either approval or interview. I think they've buggered up something and it makes very little sense :S

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.