Sign in to follow this  
thalakos1

New CR-1 Applicant have some questions.

8 posts in this topic

Hello Members!

I'm applying for a IR-1/CR-1 visa, I've read through the I-130 guide and need a little additional help. I live in the U.S., am in the Military, and my wife and I are newly married. We met last year when she visited the US, and since then I've visited her in Australia three times, with us getting married this most recent trip.

This question probably answers itself. The only additional option I have since I'm in the military is to try and petition my congressman to expedite the form through USCIS?

Down to the I-130 itself:

1. Since we are newly wed, her documents in Australia still show her maiden name. Would the I-130 process be easier if we used her maiden name on the form and change it later once she has a green card? Or should the forms be filled out with her new last name with her maiden name in the Other names used block.

2. This is probably a stupid question. Section C, question 17: Since I'm filling out the form do I need to put my name down as the husband of my wife?

3. Question 21: We've never lived together aside from me staying with her for 3 weeks at a time when I visit her in Australia, should I write none in this box?

Evidence of a bona fide marriage: I have none of the documents suggested in the I-130 instructions. It's a long distance relationship and we don't have anything jointly. I can provide pictures from the wedding, program from the wedding, E-tickets and leave forms to Melbourne Australia, phone bills to an Australian phone number, pictures of us together, unofficial Baha'i Marriage certificate includes witness signatures. Should I proceed in acquiring some form of signed memo from people who have been around us together? Both of our parents were present at the wedding.

I've also created a timeline so far, but haven't gotten much typed into it.

Thanks for all the help,

Jeremiah

I'm applying for a IR-1/CR-1 visa,

As a US Citizen, you are not applying for a visa, you are filing a petition, when the petition is approved, your wife will then be able to apply for a CR-1 visa.

This question probably answers itself. The only additional option I have since I'm in the military is to try and petition my congressman to expedite the form through USCIS?

Active duty military members who have received orders to deploy to a combat zone usually will have their petition expedited by USCIS. Most people make expedite requests to USCIS directly and do not get their Congressman involved.

My answers in bold:

Down to the I-130 itself:

1. Since we are newly wed, her documents in Australia still show her maiden name. Would the I-130 process be easier if we used her maiden name on the form and change it later once she has a green card? Or should the forms be filled out with her new last name with her maiden name in the Other names used block.

Her name on her green card will be the same as her name on all her documents. If you wait until after she has her green card to change her name, then you will have to pay a fee.

2. This is probably a stupid question. Section C, question 17: Since I'm filling out the form do I need to put my name down as the husband of my wife?

Yes

3. Question 21: We've never lived together aside from me staying with her for 3 weeks at a time when I visit her in Australia, should I write none in this box?

An appropriate answer for this question as it relates to you is, "We have not yet lived together." This is what I put for this question and had no issues.

Evidence of a bona fide marriage: I have none of the documents suggested in the I-130 instructions. It's a long distance relationship and we don't have anything jointly. I can provide pictures from the wedding, program from the wedding, E-tickets and leave forms to Melbourne Australia, phone bills to an Australian phone number, pictures of us together, unofficial Baha'i Marriage certificate includes witness signatures. Should I proceed in acquiring some form of signed memo from people who have been around us together? Both of our parents were present at the wedding.

What you have listed is good, USCIS will not expect anyone who is newly married and living in different countries to have joint property, accounts, etc. If you want to acquire the statements from people who have been around you together, you can, however, such statements are not required. With that being said, my personal suggestion to you is to acquire the statements

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

As a US Citizen, you are not applying for a visa, you are filing a petition, when the petition is approved, your wife will then be able to apply for a CR-1 visa.

Active duty military members who have received orders to deploy to a combat zone usually will have their petition expedited by USCIS. Most people make expedite requests to USCIS directly and do not get their Congressman involved.

My answers in bold:

SECTION C QUESTION 17....PUT YOUR SPOUSE NAME, AND IN CASE HE/SHE HAVE ANY CHILDREN LIST THEM. BUT FIRST IS YOUR SPOUSE

QUESTION 21.....PUT THE ADDRESS YOU LAST LIVED TOGETHER.

DO NOT WORRY ABOUT OWNING ANYTHING OR PROPERTY UNDER YOUR NAMES TOGETHER SINCE BOTH OF YOU ARE NOT LIVING TOGETHER, EVEN THE CONSULATES UNDERSTANDS THAT.

GOOD LUCK TO YOU.

Thank you for the replies! I've reached a snag of sorts, I'm going to move in a few months as I live in a studio type place now there is not enough room for two people. I can't really list my current address on the I-130 as it will change in the middle of the approval process and I don't know what the future address will be. Can I list the address of a relative of sorts that lives in the same town? I use a PO Box for all my mail, but I'm sure they mean to have physical addresses on the form.

Thank you for the replies! I've reached a snag of sorts, I'm going to move in a few months as I live in a studio type place now there is not enough room for two people. I can't really list my current address on the I-130 as it will change in the middle of the approval process and I don't know what the future address will be. Can I list the address of a relative of sorts that lives in the same town? I use a PO Box for all my mail, but I'm sure they mean to have physical addresses on the form.

There is a online change of address page on the USCIS page. I'd gladly give you the link but the site is down Dec.2-5 and I can't access the page.

Best of luck

Bob

• Married in Manila: 08/20/2010
  • I-130 Sent to lockbox: 10/01/2010
  • I-130 Received: 10/03/2010
  • NOA-1 Received: 10/04/2010
  • NOA-2 Received: 02/01/2011
  • Received NVC: 02/08/2011
  • AOS Bill Generated: 02/10/2011
  • AOS Bill Paid: 02/10/2011
  • DS 3032 Emailed: 02/10/2011
  • IV Bill Generated: 02/14/2011
  • IV Bill Paid: 02/14/2011
  • IV Packet Received @ NVC:02/22/2011
  • NVC Completed 03/08/2011
  • Interview Date Post Sputum results May 17
  • Results negative, Interview scheduled 6/13
  • Placed in A/R 06/13/2011
  • I-601 required 07/18/2011
  • I-601 filed 11/9/2011
  • I-601 approved 11/29/11
  • 2nd Sputum test ordered 12/21/11
  • 2nd Sputum Test passed 02/21/12
  • Visa Approved!! 03/15/2012
  • Visa In Hand 03/17/2012
  • POE SFO 03/24/2012

SECTION C QUESTION 17....PUT YOUR SPOUSE NAME, AND IN CASE HE/SHE HAVE ANY CHILDREN LIST THEM. BUT FIRST IS YOUR SPOUSE

QUESTION 21.....PUT THE ADDRESS YOU LAST LIVED TOGETHER.

DO NOT WORRY ABOUT OWNING ANYTHING OR PROPERTY UNDER YOUR NAMES TOGETHER SINCE BOTH OF YOU ARE NOT LIVING TOGETHER, EVEN THE CONSULATES UNDERSTANDS THAT.

GOOD LUCK TO YOU.

Wrong. Question 17 asks about "Information about your alien relative". The US Citizen is the petitioner. The alien relative is the foreign spouse. In this case the petitioner is the alien relative's spouse, so the petitioner's name is listed in C17.

They haven't yet lived together so they simply indicate they have not yet resided in the same country.

No need for evidence of joint property. Note that anything that follows the words, "In addition to the required...." is simply NOT REQUIRED.

Nothing stops you from listing your current address and changing it later. They are asking for YOUR physical address, not the address of a relative.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

I use a PO Box for all my mail, but I'm sure they mean to have physical addresses on the form.

I use a PO Box for all my mail also and that is what I put on all forms that asked for my address except for the questions on the forms that specifically called for a physical address (e.g. address where your relative intends to live). I had no issues using a PO Box. If you want to use your PO Box, you can.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

You can definitely list your current address, and file a change of address online when you move. No problem with that.

Like I said to someone yesterday about another form, use the example form (here), it will make it much easier. We did use the example forms to help us fill in all forms and our I130 got approved without RFE.

Now about expediting your case at USCIS level, I hope someone can confirm or correct this but I've read in previous threads that people in the military have a special number to call to request the expedite, then send some supporting evidence in.

USCIS STAGE: 16 days No expedite request but USC residing abroad

NVC STAGE: 19 days from case # to case complete

EMBASSY STAGE
03/27/12: interview - APPROVED

04/12/12: POE San Diego

ROC
12/19/14: received reminder letter from USCIS to file for ROC
01/15/14: sent I-751 application
01/16/14: NOA1/1 year extension
01/21/14: check cashed
01/24/14: received biometrics appointment letter for 02/11

05/14/14: received card production notification by e-mail, approval date 05/13

an1cR1j0es00030MTAwOTQzbHwxMjM0NGxqYXxTa

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.