Cool Inferno

B2 Visa: Suggestions Required!

15 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Pakistan
Timeline

Hi,

I, along with my Parent, are applying for a B2 Visa from Pakistan. The visit is purely for visting family relatives in the cities where we plan to travel, and also to have a change for that matter. My Parents elder sisters resides in the US. Its going to be a first western visa application for both of us. My parent would be sponsoring both of us, though I too, am employed. We dont have any invitations from the US since our relatives are not keen on showing their bank statements to anybody.

I just want some information on how to go about preparing myself, and my parents for the interview. I have three major reasons to get back to my home country: complete my present education, get back to work, and mostly my personal desire to stay in Pakistan. My parents doesnt want to stay in US. They've spent all their lives in Pakistan and just doesnt want to leave. However, the VO thinks we dont have credible links with the home country. We've been refused visa back twice, 11 years ago. Since then, we had not applied for a visa because I was particularly busy with getting done with high-school, and applying for college. We've been to some countries during the years, but not western countries.

Which documents in particular should I carry along? Should my college ID, work ID (pay-slip), bank statements work? or would I need some more credible docs for proving my stance.

Thanks in advance for the suggestions!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I would submit a letter from your employer stating an expected return date and a current enrollment slip from school. Simply carrying your ID does not show current employment or enrollment, I have my old student ID from 1997 - does that prove I am still a student there?

Good luck

USCIS
August 12, 2008 - petition sent
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
February 10, 2009 - NOA-2
178 DAYS FROM NOA-1

NVC
February 13, 2009 - NVC case number assigned
March 12, 2009 - Case Complete
25 DAY TRIP THROUGH NVC

Medical
May 4, 2009

Interview
May, 26, 2009

POE - June 20, 2009 Toronto - Atlanta, GA

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011
Biometrics - June 2, 2011 (early)
Approval - November 9, 2011
209 DAY TRIP TO REMOVE CONDITIONS

Citizenship

April 29, 2013 - NOA1 for petition received

September 10, 2013 Interview - decision could not be made.

April 15, 2014 APPROVED. Wait for oath ceremony

Waited...

September 29, 2015 - sent letter to senator.

October 16, 2015 - US Citizen

Timeline

I would submit a letter from your employer stating an expected return date and a current enrollment slip from school. Simply carrying your ID does not show current employment or enrollment, I have my old student ID from 1997 - does that prove I am still a student there?

Good luck

Thanks alot!

Yes you are very right regarding the College id. Thats why Ive made a certifying letter from my university which confirms me as a student. My payslip automatically displays the holidays that remains, but ive availed my 2011 holidays already. Next year(my intended yr of travel), the leave record updates on the payslip automatically. Not sure if they would still require a certification on that. Bank Statements, that too in a proper manner have been made by the banks.

Can you suggest me any other important documents that I might carry along, apart from the three?

Timeline

Thanks alot!

Yes you are very right regarding the College id. Thats why Ive made a certifying letter from my university which confirms me as a student. My payslip automatically displays the holidays that remains, but ive availed my 2011 holidays already. Next year(my intended yr of travel), the leave record updates on the payslip automatically. Not sure if they would still require a certification on that. Bank Statements, that too in a proper manner have been made by the banks.

Can you suggest me any other important documents that I might carry along, apart from the three?

Would be glad to have some valuable feedback. Thanks!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Even though you used up your leave, still talk to someone in ur office and assure them that you just want a letter to verify you are employed with and expected back etc and also if salary is good, let themindicate also.

real estate dpocuments if you guys any in your name.

I understand how it with people not wanting to show their bank statement but still get back to your relatives and request them to write a letter of invitaion for you guys saying they are willing to accmmodate you( mentioing all ur names in it and stating. Suggest to them to also include in the letter that your parents have the means to support themselves wduring their vist and have STATED THEIR DESIRE TO DO SO.

Sometimes they ask for nothing and sometimes they ask for something.

My B2 experiences in Nigeria? they never allowed me more than 3mins of questioning...denied twice...( at the time I had no interest to immigrate)

GOD has been WONDERFUL!!!
CR-1 (for Husband):
09/15/2012: Got Married
09/26/2012: Mailed I-130 from Nigeria( delayed by customs)
USCIS stage ( 66 days)
10/12/2012: NOA 1
12/17/2012: NOA 2 (case was transferred to NYC office 11/27/12)
NVC stage ( 20 days)
01/08/2013: Case # and IIN assigned ( file arrived NVC mail room 12/20/12)
01/09/2013: AOS invoiced and paid, DS-3032 emailed and mailed.
01/16/2013: IV invoiced &paid. AOS & IV mailed in one package(arrived 01/18).

01/28/2013: Case complete!!!
04/19/2013: Interview; APPROVED!!!!!
05/13/2013: POE; JFK

N-400: (3 months and 12 days)
Filed N-400 : 2011-06-17
Interview: 2011-09-27
Oath Ceremony: 2011-09-30

IR-5 for Mom Entire process took 5 months exactly
USCIS (22days)

mailed I-130 : 2011-09-30
NOA 1: 2011-10-03 (text & email)
NOA 2: 2011-10-25 (text and email)
NVC: (19 days)
Case entered and # assigned: 2011-11-18
NVC Case COMPLETED: 2011-12-07 ( 43 days from NOA 2 and 65 days from NOA 1)
Interview Date(Lagos): 2012-01- 23
Mom was late for interview
New Interview date: 2012-02-29 : VISA APPROVED

Filed: Country: Malaysia
Timeline

By the looks of it, you may have quite a tough time during the interview for the B2 visa because you have family members in the US and you are still young, but I believe you have a fighting chance. The suggestions already given are good. Also, I think you could show/tell the Consular Officer about the fact that you have visited several countries since the last denial (for the B2 visa); it would be really good if any of those countries were "first-world countries".

I didn't read specifically what others have said, but I definitely recommend a letter from your employer stating that you are employed with them and how long of a leave you have been given by them. Ask your employer to be specific and concise in the letter.

All the best!

December 2009 -- Visit to Malaysia.

February 2010 -- Applied for B2 visa, approved.

March 2010 -- Visited US.

April 2010 -- Returned from US.

May 2010 -- Sent in K1 Visa application.

July 2010 -- Received NOA2 in 71 days from NOA1.

July 2010 -- Packet 3 received.

August 2010 -- Cancellation of K1 Visa application.

Click HERE for VisaJourney guides.

image.gif?fsize=50&font=Filxgirl.TTF&text= MalaysianGirl &mirror=no&color=0033FF&vcolor=996699&bgcolor=α=yes&output=gif&spacing=4&shadow=undefined&transparent=no

Timeline

Even though you used up your leave, still talk to someone in ur office and assure them that you just want a letter to verify you are employed with and expected back etc and also if salary is good, let themindicate also.

I understand how it with people not wanting to show their bank statement but still get back to your relatives and request them to write a letter of invitaion for you guys saying they are willing to accmmodate you( mentioing all ur names in it and stating. Suggest to them to also include in the letter that your parents have the means to support themselves wduring their vist and have STATED THEIR DESIRE TO DO SO.

My B2 experiences in Nigeria? they never allowed me more than 3mins of questioning...denied twice...( at the time I had no interest to immigrate)

Many thanks ndu26! I know exactly what you mean. My friends here are also suggesting me a specific letter written from the organization I work for. Hope its issued without causing any bonds or some agreements; because big organizations here have alot of redtape. I will find out. Thanks for the suggestion.

A letter from the US will not work out for me here at this point, because, the person who we intend to meet in the US is a pensioner; dependent on the US govt. It would be better I feel not to discuss the US point of contact way of living through disclosure of the letter, and/or bank statements.

Timeline

Many thanks ndu26! I know exactly what you mean. My friends here are also suggesting me a specific letter written from the organization I work for. Hope its issued without causing any bonds or some agreements; because big organizations here have alot of redtape. I will find out. Thanks for the suggestion.

A letter from the US will not work out for me here at this point, because, the person who we intend to meet in the US is a pensioner; dependent on the US govt. It would be better I feel not to discuss the US point of contact way of living through disclosure of the letter, and/or bank statements.

Timeline

By the looks of it, you may have quite a tough time during the interview for the B2 visa because you have family members in the US and you are still young, but I believe you have a fighting chance. The suggestions already given are good. Also, I think you could show/tell the Consular Officer about the fact that you have visited several countries since the last denial (for the B2 visa); it would be really good if any of those countries were "first-world countries".

I didn't read specifically what others have said, but I definitely recommend a letter from your employer stating that you are employed with them and how long of a leave you have been given by them. Ask your employer to be specific and concise in the letter.

All the best!

MalaysianGirl,

Thanks for the ideas. Yes, I feel the interview might be rough on me. Lets see how things work out. I'll definitely look into the employer letter suggestion for a better chance. The countries Ive visited are "developing-countries" during the past years. That makes the situation more challenging.

Filed: Timeline

MalaysianGirl,

Thanks for the ideas. Yes, I feel the interview might be rough on me. Lets see how things work out. I'll definitely look into the employer letter suggestion for a better chance. The countries Ive visited are "developing-countries" during the past years. That makes the situation more challenging.

Other intl travel may help....letters from employers are.....letters from employers....(i.e. not enforceable). given all you family members in the US, your bar for success could be a bit high. How did everyone else gain access to the US?

Timeline

Other intl travel may help....letters from employers are.....letters from employers....(i.e. not enforceable). given all you family members in the US, your bar for success could be a bit high. How did everyone else gain access to the US?

Most of my family members there are USC since 30 years. They were Indian citizens (since half of my uncles did not shift to Pakistan) Only one of my uncles is a Pakistani born USC. He got married to USC in late 80's. I'm sure they must have invested in some assets over there in US, and gradually after paying years of taxes got their citizenships legally (US being much fairer with taxpayers, compared to Pakistan). I've never had the opportunity to ask them about it in detail, but must have been the case.

Moreover, my father was also nominated for F-4, but after the petition got current, he decided to officially withdraw the case; since he did not wanted to get in to a complete new environment forever, plus he also has a bit of a English language barrier resisting the change; though he always desired to visit the place to meet his bro.

Would US point of contact be assessed while the interview? Is it a common practice by the consulate?

• 2 weeks later...
Timeline

Thanks guys for all your information and suggestions. Me and my parent got the visas! I hope VJ continues to serve the purpose.

Regards,

That's awesome! Congratulations! :star:

image.gif?fsize=50&font=Filxgirl.TTF&text= MalaysianGirl &mirror=no&color=0033FF&vcolor=996699&bgcolor=α=yes&output=gif&spacing=4&shadow=undefined&transparent=no

Timeline

That's awesome! Congratulations! :star:

Thanks!

You were so right about the interview. The VO had his eyes particularly on me. He kept questioning me about all the questions he might think of: work, education, family, US contact, why do u want to go, where will you stay, and most importantly, the VO was of the view that I wont come back provided Im too young! It was then I started putting forward my reasoning that I felt truly depicted my situation. Things then thankfully turned out in the right direction: thanks to the VO who let me explain my point of view properly by giving me adequate time. My parent hardly got questioned; just about the reasons for travelling, and no. of siblings in US.

Timeline

Thanks!

You were so right about the interview. The VO had his eyes particularly on me. He kept questioning me about all the questions he might think of: work, education, family, US contact, why do u want to go, where will you stay, and most importantly, the VO was of the view that I wont come back provided Im too young! It was then I started putting forward my reasoning that I felt truly depicted my situation. Things then thankfully turned out in the right direction: thanks to the VO who let me explain my point of view properly by giving me adequate time. My parent hardly got questioned; just about the reasons for travelling, and no. of siblings in US.

I'm very very happy for you. Congratulations again!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.