bigtex26

K-3 (for wife to live in US while waiting for CR-1)

10 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

Just called CBP in Texas and was told by a Deputy that I should apply for a k-3 while waiting for my wife's CR-1 to be processed.

The Deputy informed me that this would allow my wife to enter and live in the United States with me, while her CR-1 is still being processed.

He said I'd need to contact the Mexican embassy to apply for this.

Does this seem correct? I was under the impression that once you go with CR-1 you basically just sit and wait...?

Also, if she was able to live with me while her CR-1 was processing, I guess we'd have to fly her back into Mexico for her Visa interview - right?

• June 2010 ~ Met
  • July 4, 201142.gif ~ Married
    USCIS
  • August 1, 2011 ~ I-130 Sent
  • August 4, 2011 ~ I-130 Package Received
  • August 8, 2011 ~ NOA1 Receipt
  • February 24, 2012 ~ NOA2 Receipt
    NVC
  • March 9, 2012 ~ Received Case #
  • March 13, 2012 ~ DS-261 Signed
  • March 14, 2012 ~ AOS Bill Paid
  • March 22, 2012 ~ IV Bill Paid
  • March 26, 2012 ~ NVC Case Complete
    CONSULATE
  • May 16, 2012 ~ Interview Date - Ciudad Juarez, Mexico
  • May 19, 2012 ~ Point of Entry into El Paso, TX, U.S.A.
  • June 4, 2012 ~ Green Card arrived in the mail

Just called CBP in Texas and was told by a Deputy that I should apply for a k-3 while waiting for my wife's CR-1 to be processed.

The Deputy informed me that this would allow my wife to enter and live in the United States with me, while her CR-1 is still being processed.

He said I'd need to contact the Mexican embassy to apply for this.

Does this seem correct? I was under the impression that once you go with CR-1 you basically just sit and wait...?

Also, if she was able to live with me while her CR-1 was processing, I guess we'd have to fly her back into Mexico for her Visa interview - right?

Lots of incorrect information. If you have applied with CR1, it is as you said, sit an wait; the plus side is that upon entering the US, GC will be given.

No such a thing as applying for K-3 (if CR-1 has been done). ANd why would the Mexican EMbassy had anything to do with a USCIS process??

Timeline

Lots of incorrect information. If you have applied with CR1, it is as you said, sit an wait; the plus side is that upon entering the US, GC will be given.

No such a thing as applying for K-3 (if CR-1 has been done). ANd why would the Mexican EMbassy had anything to do with a USCIS process??

Sorry, I meant the American Embassy in Mexico.

Still - this is totally incorrect? No way to get her to live her while her CR-1 is processing? What a let down! Haha.

So I guess my CR-1 visa (already three months in process) is about the same thing as a K-3?

Edited by bigtex26
  • June 2010 ~ Met
    USCIS
    NVC
    CONSULATE

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Welcome to the K-3 forum ! PLEASE get on a PC and read the last 300 posts here.

Thanks !

PS - why would you deign to call Customs and Border Patrol on any Immigration matter, seeking immmigration advice?

Edited by Darnell

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Timeline

Welcome to the K-3 forum ! PLEASE get on a PC and read the last 300 posts here.

Thanks !

PS - why would you deign to call Customs and Border Patrol on any Immigration matter, seeking immmigration advice?

I thought that even if my wife obtained a visitors visa from the American Embassy in Mexico, it would still be up to immigration to allow her in. Or am I wrong?

• June 2010 ~ Met
    USCIS
    NVC
    CONSULATE

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

300 topics. Let me know when yer finished. aye?

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Iran
Timeline

The K-3 takes about the same amount of time to process as the CR-1. The benefit used to be that it took so long to process the visas that the K-3 would allow your spouse to enter the US as a non-immigrant and then adjust status which used to be much faster than the CR-1. Due to the processing now taking about the same time there is no benefit.

It has been stated that filing for the K-3 could actually slow down the process as the I-130 has to be matched with the I-130.

A tourist visa has nothing to do with a CR-1 or a K-3. Your spouse is more than welcome to apply for a tourist visa but she may or may not be permitted inside the US. She must show strong ties to her home country to convince the border police she will return there. Since she has a US spouse it makes the chances of her being permitted to visit less likely. She would still have to leave the US prior to the expiration of her tourist visa.

Timeline

The K-3 takes about the same amount of time to process as the CR-1. The benefit used to be that it took so long to process the visas that the K-3 would allow your spouse to enter the US as a non-immigrant and then adjust status which used to be much faster than the CR-1. Due to the processing now taking about the same time there is no benefit.

It has been stated that filing for the K-3 could actually slow down the process as the I-130 has to be matched with the I-130.

A tourist visa has nothing to do with a CR-1 or a K-3. Your spouse is more than welcome to apply for a tourist visa but she may or may not be permitted inside the US. She must show strong ties to her home country to convince the border police she will return there. Since she has a US spouse it makes the chances of her being permitted to visit less likely. She would still have to leave the US prior to the expiration of her tourist visa.

Yeah, so even if she was allowed a tourist visa - she would be at the mercy of the border police. Would be a shot in the dark I guess.

I called the Houston Immigration department and they said that she would stand a chance to enter with visitors visa, if we were able to show that we were still in process of a CR-1. She seemed to think that because we had been spending so much money on the CR-1 and were three months in waiting for it, that we would be less likely to jeopardize the situation by overstaying her visit without returning.

• June 2010 ~ Met
    USCIS
    NVC
    CONSULATE

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

Nothing has been applied for. A petition has been filed. When the petition is approved, the foreign spouse will be allowed to apply for a visa.

Please do not refer to filing a petition as applying for or an application of any kind. It confused people.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

Yeah, so even if she was allowed a tourist visa - she would be at the mercy of the border police. Would be a shot in the dark I guess.

I called the Houston Immigration department and they said that she would stand a chance to enter with visitors visa, if we were able to show that we were still in process of a CR-1. She seemed to think that because we had been spending so much money on the CR-1 and were three months in waiting for it, that we would be less likely to jeopardize the situation by overstaying her visit without returning.

CBP has nothing to do with and little knowledge of issuing visas. Your wife is ineligible for a visitor visa BECAUSE she has immigrant intent. She must have a CR1, IR1 or K3 visa to legally enter the USA. K3 hasn't saved any time for years. To file the petition needed to make it remotely possible to obtain a K3 visa, NOW would actually delay your reunion in the USA. Get your information here, not from CBP or the USCIS misinformation line.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.