Piefre

Homesickness

77 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I didn't feel homesick until I had been here for over 2 years. Is that weird? I was always fine.. a little sad every now and then, but completely fine. When we went to Canada this past August, I came home and I was so depressed for over a week. I had been home several times before that, and nothing out of the ordinary happened... it just hit me like a brick wall. I love living here, life is good and my marriage is fantastic. But home is where the heart is... and home will probably always be Canada.

You are SO not alone. I've been here for almost 2 years and I still feel out of sorts. Canada will always be my home and in my heart. I'm happy here. So far things are going well. But I love my canada. Always will.

Well put lgg! I agree.

I think you forgot Edmonton, but being a Calgarian born and raised I found that amusing. ;)

Okay, okay. Edmonton qualifies, and I suppose Ottawa does too. But that's it! No more! I'm sure someone from Halifax or Winnipeg will start sniffing around this thread, insisting they're a top Canadian city, but I'm capping it at six and that's that! :P

Married: 07-03-09

I-130 filed: 08-11-09

NOA1: 09-04-09

NOA2: 10-01-09

NVC received: 10-14-09

Opted In to Electronic Processing: 10-19-09

Case complete @ NVC: 11-13-09

Interview assigned: 01-22-10 (70 days between case complete and interview assignment)

Medical in Vancouver: 01-28-10

Interview @ Montreal: 03-05-10 -- APPROVED!

POE @ Blaine (Pacific Highway): 03-10-10

3000 mile drive from Vancouver to DC: 03-10-10 to 3-12-10

Green card received: 04-02-10

SSN received: 04-07-10

------------------------------------------

Mailed I-751: 12-27-11

Arrived at USCIS: 12-29-11

I-751 NOA1: 12-30-11 Check cashed: 01-04-12

Biometrics: 02-24-12

10-year GC finally approved: 12-20-12

Received 10-year GC: 01-10-13

Better to be very overprepared than even slightly underprepared!

I didn't feel homesick until I had been here for over 2 years. Is that weird? I was always fine.. a little sad every now and then, but completely fine. When we went to Canada this past August, I came home and I was so depressed for over a week. I had been home several times before that, and nothing out of the ordinary happened... it just hit me like a brick wall. I love living here, life is good and my marriage is fantastic. But home is where the heart is... and home will probably always be Canada.

I'm kind of dreading that first real experience of going back home. I've only been to Canada once in the nearly three years I've lived in the US, but that was a quick and stressful trip, really to say my goodbyes to my grandmother who'd been diagnosed with cancer and given six months to live at most (although that's nearly 18 months ago now and she's still alive). So it was long enough to reconnect with some extended family and get a taste of Tim Hortons and see bilingual signs, but not much else. Even that was where my aunt lives, not the hometown where I lived most of my life before moving down here and where my parents still live.

What really causes my homesickness are the family funerals. And made worse with the one I missed over the weekend, because I had just driven from Virginia to Florida last month to be at my wife's grandmother's funeral. And going to this one would only be about an hour longer than that trip. But I didn't get my driver's license until I moved down here (since in Canada I lived in small towns where I could mostly walk and could never have afforded a car, anyway), so I have zero winter driving experience, so driving up to eastern Ontario in December would not be something I'd be comfortable doing (unless my wife was behind the wheel. Besides, my green card expired the day after the funeral, and I didn't want to have the worries about not getting back in, since I don't have my NOA back for removing conditions.

The only other things are foods. Haven't found anything quite as good as Shreddies for breakfast. And I need to try to either make (or convince my wife to make) tourtieres, butter tarts, and Nanaimo bars.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

The only other things are foods. Haven't found anything quite as good as Shreddies for breakfast. And I need to try to either make (or convince my wife to make) tourtieres, butter tarts, and Nanaimo bars.

I made Nanaimo bars for my husband's Thanksgiving potluck party at his work and he won second place out of 10 for desserts. I was thrilled that they went over so well. Must make some more to get ready for Christmas!

March 2010- Met in Calgary, Canada (he was working there)

Dec 31, 2010- Engaged

Jan 5, 2011- Mailed I-129f

Jan 10, 2011- Signature of acceptance at Texas lockbox

Jan 12, 2011- Notice date on NOA1 hardcopy

Jan 14, 2011- Touched

Jan 18, 2011- Received email notification/forward to VSC and check cashed

Jan 20, 2011- He moved to Houston/work transfer :(

May 12, 2011- NOA2!

May 20, 2011- Left NVC for Vancouver

Aug 17, 2011- Medical

Aug 18, 2011- Interview

Aug 29, 2011- POE at Sweetgrass, Montana...drove to Houston

Sept 24, 2011- Wedding in Hawaii

Nov 12, 2011- Sent in AOS/EAD/AP

Nov 16, 2011- Delivered

Nov 18, 2011- 3 Texts/Emails

Nov 17, 2011- NOA1 date on Hard copies/biometrics appt for Dec 12

Nov 21, 2011- check cashed

Dec 12, 2011- Biometrics

Dec 16, 2011- Received letter I485 transferred to California Notice date Dec 12

Jan 23, 2012- Received EAD/AP combo card

May 21, 2012- Green Card production ordered. It should arrive within 30 days!

May 29, 2012- Green Card arrived :)

Timeline

I made Nanaimo bars for my husband's Thanksgiving potluck party at his work and he won second place out of 10 for desserts. I was thrilled that they went over so well. Must make some more to get ready for Christmas!

Have a recipe? My (USC) husband really likes them, but I'm not particualrly fond of coconut myself.

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

Nice to see another Portsmouth resident here, Maplestar! :)

Married: 07-03-09

I-130 filed: 08-11-09

NOA1: 09-04-09

NOA2: 10-01-09

NVC received: 10-14-09

Opted In to Electronic Processing: 10-19-09

Case complete @ NVC: 11-13-09

Interview assigned: 01-22-10 (70 days between case complete and interview assignment)

Medical in Vancouver: 01-28-10

Interview @ Montreal: 03-05-10 -- APPROVED!

POE @ Blaine (Pacific Highway): 03-10-10

3000 mile drive from Vancouver to DC: 03-10-10 to 3-12-10

Green card received: 04-02-10

SSN received: 04-07-10

Mailed I-751: 12-27-11

Arrived at USCIS: 12-29-11

I-751 NOA1: 12-30-11 Check cashed: 01-04-12

Biometrics: 02-24-12

10-year GC finally approved: 12-20-12

Received 10-year GC: 01-10-13

Better to be very overprepared than even slightly underprepared!

Timeline

Have a recipe? My (USC) husband really likes them, but I'm not particualrly fond of coconut myself.

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Nanaimo-Bars-III/detail.aspx

Dec 31, 2010- Engaged

Jan 14, 2011- Touched

May 12, 2011- NOA2!

Aug 17, 2011- Medical

Aug 18, 2011- Interview

Nov 16, 2011- Delivered

Dec 12, 2011- Biometrics

Nice to see another Portsmouth resident here, Maplestar! :)

Yes! I was shocked to see us both post on a thread...I was looking there "Portsmouth...Canada...I didn't post already, did I?" :)

Timeline

Can I rant in here? Something's been bugging me :P

Is anyone else kind of annoyed by the cheque card system? You know how in Canada you just enter your PIN every time you make a purchase and that protects you from random people picking up your card and using it, but here you just sign every time? I got ID'd at Goodwill for making a $2.99 purchase with my bank card the other day. Seriously :blink: How is IDing people randomly (because it doesn't happen terribly often) at all secure? Yet they have those cheque cards that ensures the merchant gets paid because the card is backed up by a credit company and puts the individual in danger of overdrawing their account (not that that happens to me, because I stay on top of my spending). It seems like in the US the system is designed to protects merchants, but in Canada it's designed to protect the individual.

I really miss the convenience of the Interac/PIN system. It's annoying that I have to bring my ID with me every time I want to make a purchase, though I suspect being ID'd for small purchases at Goodwill and McDonalds is more common in Las Vegas than other areas of the US. o___O

Edited by pocheros

I also miss interac so much!

formerly sherrybaby

ROC Process

12-13-2013 * 90 day window to apply opens

02-24-2014 * ROC package sent to USCIS Vermont Service Center

02-25-2014 * ROC package received at USCIS Vermont Service Center

02-26-2014 * NOA1 notice date

02-28-2014 * Cheque cashed

03-05-2014 * Biometrics notice date

03-28-2014 * Biometrics Appointment in Baltimore

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I'm the opposite, I hate interac. I use credit for everything. I especially love being able to shop online or go to a restaurant and pay credit using my debit card.

Pins are not safer in my opinion. Someone can always be looking over your shoulder or find ways to get your money.

At least with visa or mastercard attached to my card, I'm protected by them if something were to happen.

Ever had your pin stolen and money taken out of your bank in Canada? Take WEEKS to get it resolved.

That being said, I carry cash a lot more in the US than I ever did in Canada. I don't like to use my debit card for small purchases if I don't have to.

Removing Conditions

Sent package to VSC - 8/12/11

NOA1 - 8/16/11

Biometrics - 9/14/11

I haven't actually moved but mentally I'm not here in Canada. I have spent the 6 months at our CT home for the past two years and now waiting for this process is just the final step. I will look forward to coming back to visit family and it is beautiful (I live on Vancouver Island) But I feel at long last I have found where and with whom I felt totally at home. Home is where the heart is and mine is definitely with Glenn wherever that may be. And speaking of Nanaimo Bars... I was born and raised in Nanaimo, BC and they are an awesome tasty over sweet delight.

My most favourite Christmas gift last christmas....

After we had opened our gifts (we did it on Christmas Eve because.. well it was only the two of us and we had a few glasses of wine) Glenn disappeared and then came in to the room gave me a card that said inside to go out onto the deck and look out to the water( house right on the water) I did that and then I hear him playing "oh Canada " on his trumpet. I burst into tears at the thoughtfulness of his gift to me, and the sounds over the water were truly beautiful.

my memories as we are apart this holiday season.

Terri

Fiance visa

04/28/2011 - I-129F - DENIED

02/18/2012 - I-129F petition filed
02/24/2012 - NOA1
09/04/2012 - NOA2, 193 days

Interview:10/22/2012
POE: 10/26/2012 (245 days)

Removal of Conditions

Filed for ROC - 06/09/2015

NOA1 for ROC - 06/12/2015

Biometrics appointment - 07/17/2015

Approval for ROC - 04/20/2016 (316 days)

Naturalization Process

N-400 Filed 06/10/2016

N-400 NOA1 06/14/2016

N-400 biometrics 06/20/16

N-400 interview 01/23/2017

N-400 Oath ceremony 02/10/2017

Immigration Process took 2116 days.

Timeline

It's 'check' card :) Just saying :P

I've only been id'd once or twice - at a 5&Below of all places. I love that I can now pay everywhere with my card - although I think that's a sign of the times vs anything else. I can pay for my $3.50 Starbucks with a swipe of my card...love it. Usually purchases under a certain amount (at some retailers) don't even require a PIN, I think that's kind of hand..

I find it more convenient because now I can use my VISA/debit card to pay anywhere like at Amazon whereas before I had to pay with my VISA and transfer money over to pay for it from teh bank. I love that my purchases come right out of checking/ chequing account :).

I don't really find it that different.

Can I rant in here? Something's been bugging me :P

Is anyone else kind of annoyed by the cheque card system? You know how in Canada you just enter your PIN every time you make a purchase and that protects you from random people picking up your card and using it, but here you just sign every time? I got ID'd at Goodwill for making a $2.99 purchase with my bank card the other day. Seriously :blink: How is IDing people randomly (because it doesn't happen terribly often) at all secure? Yet they have those cheque cards that ensures the merchant gets paid because the card is backed up by a credit company and puts the individual in danger of overdrawing their account (not that that happens to me, because I stay on top of my spending). It seems like in the US the system is designed to protects merchants, but in Canada it's designed to protect the individual.

I really miss the convenience of the Interac/PIN system. It's annoying that I have to bring my ID with me every time I want to make a purchase, though I suspect being ID'd for small purchases at Goodwill and McDonalds is more common in Las Vegas than other areas of the US. o___O

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Thanks for this! I can't say i've ever eaten these but they sound yummy. My friend brought over some custard powder from Aus so I'm set in that department.

Qn though - is "flaked coconut" the same as desiccated? Or is that still the wet coconut stuff? I have desiccated still (from mum mailing it a while ago) but my supply is dwindling and I have yet to find a supply here (except online).

Timeline

Thanks for this! I can't say i've ever eaten these but they sound yummy. My friend brought over some custard powder from Aus so I'm set in that department.

Qn though - is "flaked coconut" the same as desiccated? Or is that still the wet coconut stuff? I have desiccated still (from mum mailing it a while ago) but my supply is dwindling and I have yet to find a supply here (except online).

You're welcome. It's the dry coconut you can buy in the baking aisle at the supermarket. I thought I'd have a hard time finding custard powder in Houston but there are lots of British immigrants so sometimes it's with the specialty foods.

Dec 31, 2010- Engaged

Jan 14, 2011- Touched

May 12, 2011- NOA2!

Aug 17, 2011- Medical

Aug 18, 2011- Interview

Nov 16, 2011- Delivered

Dec 12, 2011- Biometrics

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.