Piefre

Homesickness

77 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

I'm a US citizen and my fiancee is Canadian. She dearly misses Canada too. We are going through the process of getting married (the 26th of this month) and then filing all her paperwork after. She plans on staying here during the process and she has been here over 2 months already. So you all know we are looking at some serious time that she's "stuck" here, lol.

She got pretty inebriated on Halloween weekend and she was crying "I want to go back to Canada!" Talk about breaking my heart. She misses her family and friends there. I understand because I would miss them too. We've been through a lot together in the last 2 years, but nothing compared to some of you. I know we can do it though! :thumbs:

May 2009: Started talking on a forum online

June 2010: Met in person in Toronto Canada

April 2011: Proposed in Toronto (she accepted!)

September 2011: Last entry into the US (Michigan)

November 2011: Married in Michigan

6/26/12 Sent in I-130 and I-485 packets to Chicago Lock Box

6/27/12 Package delivered to Lock Box (FedEx tracking confirms)

7/02/12 NOA1 email and text message

7/03/12 Checks cashed for I-130 and I-485

7/06/12 Hard copy for NOA1's

7/09/12 Hard copy notice for biometrics on 7/30/12

7/30/12 Biometrics done (Detroit)

8/20/12 Hard copy for interview date on 9/18/12

9/18/12 Interview Date

10/31/12 EAD/AP card received

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

The US feels absolutely huge, until you're stuck there waiting for your AP documents. :) It must be even worse being so close to the border, being able to look across the river/lake at the Promised Land but, like Moses, knowing you can't go in. As a Canadian you grow up being so used to being able to cross that border more or less at will - it's a very weird feeling when all of a sudden you can't.

When my AP documents showed up I triumphantly posted "<HeatDeath> is no longer being held prisoner by the US government! :)" on my Facebook wall. Funny thing is I haven't even been back to Canada since I moved here, but that feeling of homesickness/being trapped here went away when I got my AP documents.

Interestingly, I find that watching really Canadian things on youtube helped when I was going through a homesickness period. Things like the CBC sign-on videos/O Canada videos, National Film Board Vignettes, etc. Maybe the nostalgia for early 80's CBC is just me.

Also eating french fries with white vinegar. I do wish there was some place here that made poutine though. :)

My wife got me the complete series of Corner Gas last Christmas. It's kind of funny, realizing you are probably the only person in a 500 mile radius watching that show at that particular moment, but it really helps me feel a little more at home.

Edited by HeatDeath

DON'T PANIC

"It says wonderful things about the two countries [Canada and the US] that neither one feels itself being inundated by each other's immigrants."

-Douglas Coupland

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I hear ya!!! I've been homesick on and off since moving here. Helps to have NHL Centre Ice if you're a hockey fan :)

March 2010- Met in Calgary, Canada (he was working there)

Dec 31, 2010- Engaged

Jan 5, 2011- Mailed I-129f

Jan 10, 2011- Signature of acceptance at Texas lockbox

Jan 12, 2011- Notice date on NOA1 hardcopy

Jan 14, 2011- Touched

Jan 18, 2011- Received email notification/forward to VSC and check cashed

Jan 20, 2011- He moved to Houston/work transfer :(

May 12, 2011- NOA2!

May 20, 2011- Left NVC for Vancouver

Aug 17, 2011- Medical

Aug 18, 2011- Interview

Aug 29, 2011- POE at Sweetgrass, Montana...drove to Houston

Sept 24, 2011- Wedding in Hawaii

Nov 12, 2011- Sent in AOS/EAD/AP

Nov 16, 2011- Delivered

Nov 18, 2011- 3 Texts/Emails

Nov 17, 2011- NOA1 date on Hard copies/biometrics appt for Dec 12

Nov 21, 2011- check cashed

Dec 12, 2011- Biometrics

Dec 16, 2011- Received letter I485 transferred to California Notice date Dec 12

Jan 23, 2012- Received EAD/AP combo card

May 21, 2012- Green Card production ordered. It should arrive within 30 days!

May 29, 2012- Green Card arrived :)

Timeline

I'm not normally a huge hockey fan, but I felt extra Canadian watching the Olympic Men's Hockey finals, and even the Stanley Cup finals last year. :D

DON'T PANIC

"It says wonderful things about the two countries [Canada and the US] that neither one feels itself being inundated by each other's immigrants."

-Douglas Coupland

Timeline

What I found helpful in dealing with my homesickness when I moved here was reading the newspapers back home on line. I found I could also watch CBC on the computer and get reruns of some of the shows I liked to watch. Somehow knowing I had that contact made it feel like I was less isolated. I still read the newspapers from my last home in Canada and my 'home town' and I watch the elections on CBC and things like that. I've been here over 7 years now, and Canada is still 'home of my heart' but my home is here, too. When I am in Canada, I miss here. Heck - I need to find a way to marry the two places together so I can have them both! Hehehe.

Don't worry - being homesick is totally natural. It will pass so it doesn't hurt so much but is more like a nostalgic memory of home. You will find that you have room enough in your life for two homes. Two very different homes! Hehe You'll spend your first two years comparing the differences :P .

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Yes some feel homesick and others have no feeling at all. Myself and another friend I know who I met at work back in the 90's here who actually went to college in Guelph of all places, neither one of us ever felt sad we weren't in Canada. Sure it at first though it was weird getting adjusted to not having my friends around, but that would have been if I had moved to any city in Canada as well. As for the country barriers, neither one of us missed Canada at all and had no feelings at all of ever wanting to go back other than a visit.

Once you start making new friends and such, than things will really ease up and it'll be like living anywhere else. I know my parents joke about me moving back to Canada because of our crappy economy here, but I just laugh and tell them that will never happen :)

I'm just a wanderer in the desert winds...

Timeline

Oct - Job offer in US

Nov - Received my TN-1 to be authorized to work in the US

Nov - Moved to US

1998-2001

Recieved 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th TN

May - Met future wife at arts fest

Nov - Recieved 6th TN

Nov - Recieved 7th TN

Jul - Our Wedding

Aug - Filed for AOS

Sep - Recieved EAD

Sep - Recieved Advanced Parole

Jan - Interview, accepted for Green Card

Feb - Green Card Arrived in mail

Oct - I-751 sent off

Jan - 10 year Green Card accepted

Mar - 10 year Green Card arrived

Oct - Filed N-400 for Naturalization

Nov - Biometrics done

Nov - Just recieved Naturalization Interview date for Jan.

Jan - Naturalization Interview Completed

Feb - Oath Letter recieved

Feb - Oath Ceremony

Feb 21 - Finally a US CITIZEN (yay)

THE END

Timeline

Thanks for weighing in your experiences, everyone. Maybe I'll feel a little better when I get my Christmas cards sent out to my family and friends when I'm in the US. Does anyone still send physical letters back home? Seems with email and everything sending out letters and cards in the mail isn't as popular anymore, but I love stationary and for some reason the thought of sending actual, physical mail out is a little helpful.

Timeline

I don't miss Canada terribly much but I'm not close to my family, nor am I terribly fond of the last city I lived in. My best friend and I write each other snail mail though and send each other cards, packages, etc. :D It's really fun to get letters even though the mail is soooo slow for some reason (it took 3 weeks for a letter from Las Vegas to arrive in Toronto...)

Timeline

It also depends on where you're moving to... I would probably feel really homesick and out of place in a backwater redneck town o_O But Las Vegas is pretty liberal and so far everyone seems really nice so I fit in well. The nice weather probably has to do with it too :D I DON'T miss winter! Ugh.

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

I don't think I would want to move back to Canada but we are thinking of maybe moving to Washington or Oregon in the next year or two so I could be closer to my family.. my husband's work as locations in both of those states..

mvSuprise-hug.gif

Timeline

I still miss alot of things about Canada. I never had any friends really that were close and i was never close with my mom or sister. But alot of the things i miss are either food related, or goverment related. Also up north i was never afraid of anything, now that i've been in Chicago for over a year and a half, i'm scared of alot of differnet areas and some people. I'm scared of taking public transit unlike when i was in ottawra, TO or Montreal. Of course this could just be me manifesting all the fears my hsuband tells me about the south side and seeing murders etc every day of the week in the papers. House hunting has really made me miss Canada alot. And i am not too fond of the people here. I Find them terribly ignorant and rude to say the least.

If we could, i'd move out of here. But my part time job and hubbies job just does not make enough money in this city. Its so expensive to live here. I wish he could get transfered to another office i really do :(

HWDWm6.png

Timeline

Sorry to hear about your hard time in Chicago, Kimbear. One of my dad's best friends live in Chicago and I think he loves it there. But when I was there the one time, it was a little intimidating because there were so many people and the city was huge. I come from a relatively small city in Alberta and I'm going to Florida. There's half as many people in Florida as there are in all of Canada! And it's so far away from my family too. It's going to be weird not having any snow during Christmas this year. Also weird to look outside in December and see green instead of white--and sometimes brown lol.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.