13 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hi guys! just have a question, when sending the AOS packet does it include pictures of us like marriage pictures, emails, joint accounts etc OR I need to bring those things during the interview for AOS? thanks so much in advance and god bless!

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Marriage Certificate is enough proof. Those are not required but I included some wedding pictures. No harm in trying. :) It's the only different thing I included aside from the docs that are stated in the guide http://www.visajourney.com/content/k1k3aos If you choose not to include those, yes you may bring them to the interview. If you are required to have an interview.

Edited by paul_kay

tumblr_m24igfpWr01rtrvwyo1_r1_250.jpg

Click image to view my blog!

AOS Timeline

11/1/11 - AOS package Delivered

11/7/11 - NOA Received in the mail

11/12/11 - Biometrics Appointment received

11/28/11 - Case transferred to CSC

12/7/11 - Biometrics done

1/2/12 - EAD and AP approved (Card production)

1/11/12 - EAD/AP Card received

1/20/12 - Got Driver's License!

3/7/12 - GC approved!

3/9/12 - Got a job!

3/11/12 - GC on hand

Filed: Other Country: Colombia
Timeline

I am going to tell you what I did for the picture issue you have right now, everyone told me it was NOT a good idea to send pictures with your application, but the matter of fact is when your case gets to the IO, when he reviews your application he will see those pictures in there and he will already make up his mind about you and your wife. MY interview experience was very good, I sent about 80 or 100 pics, what I did was I made a word document, copy and pasted all the pics there, organized them in chronological order since the day we met, and printed them out in color and attached them to the proof of marriage documentation I put 5 or 6 pics per page.. The day of the interview the IO told me it was a very good idea doing that because it makes it easier for him in reviewing our case and how our relationship has been through out the years.

It is not mandatory for you to send pictures, you can wait until the interview day if you want to but in my case I think it was very helpful. I also attached joint bank accounts, lease agreement, car insurance, notarized letters of her parents and sister saying that the relationship was bonafide, dog ownership papers. During the interview he didnt ask me to give him proof of bona fide marriage he just asked me even though I had plenty of proof he wanted me to know if I wanted to add anything else, I said yes and then he said it wasn't

necessary.

It my opinion the more you send the better and while you wait till your interview keep saving, receipts with both of your names, utility bills etc, and then bring those to the interview if he needs more proof.

Good luck!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

I am going to tell you what I did for the picture issue you have right now, everyone told me it was NOT a good idea to send pictures with your application, <snip>

As I stated in another thread. You are AOSing from a visa other than K1 which has different requirements. While your list is helpful, it is also confusing for those that don't know for sure that your list isn't relevant to them.

Also, the above section I left is incorrect. For a K1 it is correct that photos aren't required (except passport pics). For the visa YOU are AOSing from you DO need to include such evidence. It goes with the I-130 that you have to send (and K1's don't)

Edited by Vanessa&Tony

Timeline

As I stated in another thread. You are AOSing from a visa other than K1 which has different requirements. While your list is helpful, it is also confusing for those that don't know for sure that your list isn't relevant to them.

Also, the above section I left is incorrect. For a K1 it is correct that photos aren't required (except passport pics). For the visa YOU are AOSing from you DO need to include such evidence. It goes with the I-130 that you have to send (and K1's don't)

Vanessa&Tony:

Even though you are right about the difference between a Non immigrant visa AOS to a K-1 Visa AOS, and that some of the K-1 will not have an interview, MOST of them will have a Interview with an IO officer. In the instructions of the I-485, they don't tell you you have to send Joint accounts, or lease agreements, or anything, they just need the basic requirements so you are Eligible to Adjust Status, regardless if you are with a B2 visa or a K-1 or F-1 or whatever Visa you have, they will ask you that once you go to the interview. BUT, you can attach any other documentation you think it can be helpful for your case, like Joint accounts, lease agreements, photos, I dont think it will hurt to send them, maybe that will make his case stronger and not get an Interview like you said.

Timeline

Vanessa&Tony:

Even though you are right about the difference between a Non immigrant visa AOS to a K-1 Visa AOS, and that some of the K-1 will not have an interview, MOST of them will have a Interview with an IO officer. In the instructions of the I-485, they don't tell you you have to send Joint accounts, or lease agreements, or anything, they just need the basic requirements so you are Eligible to Adjust Status, regardless if you are with a B2 visa or a K-1 or F-1 or whatever Visa you have, they will ask you that once you go to the interview. BUT, you can attach any other documentation you think it can be helpful for your case, like Joint accounts, lease agreements, photos, I dont think it will hurt to send them, maybe that will make his case stronger and not get an Interview like you said.

Actually no not "most" will. The odds are 50/50. I didn't, everyone else I personally know didn't. I would hazard a guess that most DON'T because we were properly vetted at our K1 interview.

The AOS thread in my signature is everything I sent. (I didn't send the things I mention as "optional" for the I-864). I didn't send photos, or lease agreements or anything except what was required. Neither did any of the people I previously mentioned that I personally know that also were approved without interview.

Sending too much info HAS hurt some peoples cases actually... but you didn't mention that it wasn't required, your post implied it WAS required (you specifically stated photos weren't but didn't specify the rest wasn't).

Again, k1 is different. I don't think you should overload the AOS. Take the time to collect the info for interview sure though.

Edited by Vanessa&Tony

Timeline

Actually no not "most" will. The odds are 50/50. I didn't, everyone else I personally know didn't. I would hazard a guess that most DON'T because we were properly vetted at our K1 interview.

The AOS thread in my signature is everything I sent. (I didn't send the things I mention as "optional" for the I-864). I didn't send photos, or lease agreements or anything except what was required. Neither did any of the people I previously mentioned that I personally know that didn't.

I understand what you are saying, but my point is even if you are adjusting from a B2 or F-1 Visas, you Don't need to submit any evidence, of course when you Adjust Status from those visas you will get an interview with an IO officer and then you will have to prove you are really married. I found a thread here in Visa Journey and I took this info.

"Interview (in person) for Adjustment of Status

Eventually most people (see exception below) will receive a letter from the CIS informing you of your interview date. It will include instructions on what to bring to the interview and any required items you may need to complete before hand. One of the most critical items requested will be "evidence of the relationship" which proves that your marriage is true and faithful (i.e. photos, joint checking account, joint lease, joint mortgage, and birth certificates of children if any, etc.). Also, it is important to bring the current passport of the beneficiary to the interview. The interview is fairly painless and may be video recorded and lasts between 15-30 minutes. If approved you will be mailed your "green-card" shortly after the interview date (weeks).

Interview Exception. In some cases a beneficiary's Adjustment of Status case may be transfered to the California Service Center (possibly another location) where the CIS will attempt to complete processing without requirinig an "in person" interview. There is no particular way to know if this will happen to your case however if this does happen then you will not be required to attend an interview in person. If the I-485 is approved the beneficiary's green card will simply be mailed to them. "

I'm not saying he HAS to send what I wrote before, I am just giving him an example of how I adjust Status. here is the complete link of where I got this info.

http://www.visajourney.com/content/k1k3aos

This info is a thread of Adjusting status from K-1 or K-3.

Edited by panclox

What visa requires picture evidence when submitting AOS? We adjusted from a B-2 and didn't include any pictures or any other evidence. We just brought it all to the interview, no trouble.

OUR TIMELINE

I am the USC, husband is adjusting from B2.

ADJUSTMENT OF STATUS

08.06.2010 - Sent off I-485
08.25.2010 - NOA hard copies received (x4), case status available online: 765, 131, 130.
10.15.2010 - RFE received: need 2 additional photos for AP.
10.18.2010 - RFE response sent certified mail
10.21.2010 - Service request placed for biometrics
10.25.2010 - RFE received per USCIS
10.26.2010 - Text/email received - AP approved!
10.28.2010 - Biometrics appointment received, dated 10/22 - set for 11/19 @ 3:00 PM
11.01.2010 - Successful biometrics walk-in @ 9:45 AM; EAD card sent for production text/email @ 2:47 PM! I-485 case status now available online.
11.04.2010 - Text/Email (2nd) - EAD card sent for production
11.08.2010 - Text/Email (3rd) - EAD approved
11.10.2010 - EAD received
12.11.2010 - Interview letter received - 01.13.11
01.13.2011 - Interview - no decision on the spot
01.24.2011 - Approved! Card production ordered!

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

11.02.2012 - Mailed I-751 packet to VSC
11.08.2012 - Checks cashed
11.10.2012 - NOA1 received, dated 11.06.2012
11.17.2012 - Biometrics letter received for 12.05.2012
11.23.2012 - Successful early biometrics walk-in

05.03.2013 - Approved! Card production ordered!

CITIZENSHIP

Filing in November 2013

Timeline

I understand what you are saying, but my point is even if you are adjusting from a B2 or F-1 Visas, you Don't need to submit any evidence, of course when you Adjust Status from those visas you will get an interview with an IO officer and then you will have to prove you are really married. I found a thread here in Visa Journey and I took this info.

<snip>

That's old info. There are several things that need to be updated around the site. You'll find just above everyone gets transferred to CSC now (I would hazard almost all actually) and then MAY be transferred back to their local office for interview.

I'm sorry, I'm really trying not to be rude but you're wrong about AOSing from a B2/F1 etc.. These REQUIRE evidence of relationship... it's to go with the I-130. The I-485 doesn't require relationship evidence, but as you're concurrently filing the I-130 and I-485 if AOSing from those visas, you do send evidence. K1's did all that evidence stuff for their K1 interview.

Timeline

What visa requires picture evidence when submitting AOS? We adjusted from a B-2 and didn't include any pictures or any other evidence. We just brought it all to the interview, no trouble.

Yeah you don't have to send pictures, I did, and it worked pretty well in my interview, the IO liked that and told me more ppl should do it, he said it gave him good impression of us. That is all I said, I am giving an example and people can do it or not, I am not trying to fight or anything with you guys, we are all here to help each other. I hope everyone gets their green card!

Timeline

You didn't send ANY relationship evidence with your I-130?... The instructions require relationship evidence. Here: http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/i-130instr.pdf page 3, #1, E-J

Edited by Vanessa&Tony

We sent our marriage license, of course, and I think one joint bank statement though I really can't remember anymore if that went with the 485/130 or the 864. Nothing else, though, and I didn't see anything in the instructions requiring it - we were guaranteed an interview anyway, so we brought it all then and didn't have any issues. I had no idea it was expected to send evidence at the time of filing, to be honest.

OUR TIMELINE

ADJUSTMENT OF STATUS

08.25.2010 - NOA hard copies received (x4), case status available online: 765, 131, 130.
10.28.2010 - Biometrics appointment received, dated 10/22 - set for 11/19 @ 3:00 PM
11.01.2010 - Successful biometrics walk-in @ 9:45 AM; EAD card sent for production text/email @ 2:47 PM! I-485 case status now available online.

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

CITIZENSHIP

Filing in November 2013

Just saw your edit and reread the instructions and I take it back - we did also send our daughter's birth certificate which is one of the possibilities listed. No pictures or anything else though.

OUR TIMELINE

ADJUSTMENT OF STATUS

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

CITIZENSHIP

Filing in November 2013

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.