Cristy

Do you and your SO share political views?

30 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

We are polar opposites. he is a bush supporting, war supporting, gun toting (well he would be if I let him lol) democrat. All the things I can't stand in a person, yet I love him. :blink:

*January 24 2006 - mailed in I129-F petition

*January 25 2006 - I129-F received at CSC

*January 30 2006 - packet returned.....arggggggggg we forgot one signature!!

*January 31 2006 - sent I129-F back to the CSC, hope we did not forget anything else

*February 1 2006 - I129-F received at CSC again

*February 3 2006 - NOA1

*April 20 2006 - NOA2!!!!!

*April 24 2006 - Touched!

*May 15 2006 - NVC received petition today!

*May 17 2006 - Case left NVC today!!

*May 30 2006 - Received Packet 3 from Vancouver!

*May 30 2006 - Faxed back Packet 3!!

*June 6 2006 - Received packet 4!

*June 20 2006 - Medical in Saskatoon

*June 28 2006 - Interview in Vancouver!!

*June 28 2006 - GOT THE VISA!!!*June 30 2006 - Moving day!

*July 3 2006 - Home at last!!

*July 28 2006 - married!

*September 13 2006 - Mailed AOS/EAD package

*September 25 2006 - Received NOA for AOS/EAD

*October 6 2006 - Biometrics appointments

*October 10 2006 - Touched!

*October 19 2006 - Transferred to CSC!

*October 26 2006 - Received by CSC

*October 27 2006 - Touched

*October 28 2006 - Touched again

*October 31 2006 - Touched again

*November 2 2006 - Touched again

*November 3 2006- and another touch

*November 7 2006- touched

*November 7 2006 - My case approved, still waiting for kids!

*November 8 2006 - Touched my case again

*November 13 2006 - Greencard arrived...yeah I can work!

*November 14 2006 - Touched my case again

*January 2007 - RFE for kids Greencard.

*February 2007 - kids medical and sent in RFE

*February 2007 - Received kids greencards

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline
We are polar opposites. he is a bush supporting, war supporting, gun toting (well he would be if I let him lol) democrat. All the things I can't stand in a person, yet I love him. :blink:

It keeps the conversations interesting, yes? :P ...and then after a heated, political argument, there's always the make up se...ssion.

Jinky and I have never really discussed politics which probably explains why I must get my political fix here in OT. :lol:

Edited by Steven_and_Jinky

Filed: Timeline

I've become more moderate/conservative since moving to the UK; maybe it's a reaction to my environment, who knows.

Both my husband and I are:

* atheists

* mindful of the environment

* supportive of public education

* supportive of public transport

* in favor of renationalizing the UK's train system

* against the Iraq war

* against owning firearms

* against animal cruelty

* in favor of sustainable, ethical farming

We do diverge in some areas, though. My husband still has the 'we're partly to blame' mentality regarding terrorism, whereas I've moved past that into 'nuke the bastards' mode. I think the world has become far too politically correct with people too eager to be offended, but my husband still buys into the victim mentality. He doesn't take it as far as some people...there was some controversy here a few years ago when a government minister used the term 'nitty gritty.' Apparently, that term is racist. I rolled my eyes at that one.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/1988681.stm

24 June 2007: Leaving day/flying to Dallas-Fort Worth

:blink: a gun toting, bush & war supporting DEMOCRAT?? isnt that like the epitome of an oxymoron???

Jinky and I have never really discussed politics which probably explains why I must get my political fix here in OT. :lol:

:lol::lol: maybe that's why I never do....too much at home :whistle:

Filed: Timeline
:blink: a gun toting, bush & war supporting DEMOCRAT?? isnt that like the epitome of an oxymoron???

I kind of wondered about that, too. I mean, these days you'd be hard pressed to find a Bush supporting Republican, let alone a Bush supporting Democrat. :wacko:

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Oh yes, we are very similar on the issues, but a little bit different on reasons.

We're both anti-Iraq war, pro-separation of church and state, pro-nationalized health care, women's rights to their own bodies, gay marriage, first-amendment rights, anti-anything that resembles 1984, etc. Actually, I can't think of many issues where we differ.

Ok, a few things, like welfare, as he thinks people have more control of their own economic situation than I tend to think.

The most fun thing for me is that while he has similar values, they have completely different applications to the solutions he thinks would work best in his country. For example, he is pro- allowing Brazilians to have their own firearms, but anti Americans having their own firearms, because of the different relationships between the peoples and their governments.

I don't think I could ever be with someone who was very far to the other side of the political spectrum from me. I would say the difference between us is that I'm more of an activist and he holds opinions but does not necessarily do anything about them. Perhaps that will change when he's hanging out with me in my country over here. Perhaps not. :)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

We are both on the same side of the political spectrum, although his overall positions are more conservative than mine - kind of the difference between a Liberal Canadian and a liberal America (VBG!!). I am a pro-Liberal (Canadian Political Party) with NDP (New Democratic Party) and Green (Party) sympathies, while he is really an anti-Republican rather than pro-anything. There is a difference in the mind-set.

Neither of us would be able to sustain a happy relationship if we were not in political sympathy with each other. The same thing applies to religion. Neither of us would feel comfortable in the relationship if we did not share a similar spiritual perspective.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

I was a NDP'er in Canada, and not sure where I fit in in the USA yet. Hubby would be a Democrat except for their gun control views so he would pigeon hole himself as a Libertarian.

Sept 10 I-129F sent to TSC

Interview - February 13th APPROVED! day 152

April 6 - wedding date day 204

Aug 22 - AOS interview date day 101-total days 342

Sept 29 - green card arrives, done until June 2008 day 140-total days 381

June 30 - I-751 mailed total days 1025

March 9 - Removal of Conditions approved! total days 1277

My fiancé tends to vote Reform in Canada, but that's more to stick it to Ottawa, Ontario, and 'down East' (he's Albertan) than any well-defined political belief. Probably fits in as a Democrat with strong libertarian leanings here: basically, health care + shotguns.

It's pretty close to where I am. I'm probably slightly more liberal on some things, but it's more an East Coast vs. plains thing than an American vs. Canadian thing. Both of us are very pragmatic and against stupid wars and theocrats. (Nothing against religion, just against the worship of the Republican party.)

AOS

-

Filed: 8/1/07

NOA1:9/7/07

Biometrics: 9/28/07

EAD/AP: 10/17/07

EAD card ordered again (who knows, maybe we got the two-fer deal): 10/23/-7

Transferred to CSC: 10/26/07

Approved: 11/21/07

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Ok lmao I meant republican. Still getting used to the US names.

I was NDP in Canada so I should have known.

Edited by cristy

*January 24 2006 - mailed in I129-F petition

*January 25 2006 - I129-F received at CSC

*January 30 2006 - packet returned.....arggggggggg we forgot one signature!!

*January 31 2006 - sent I129-F back to the CSC, hope we did not forget anything else

*February 1 2006 - I129-F received at CSC again

*February 3 2006 - NOA1

*April 20 2006 - NOA2!!!!!

*April 24 2006 - Touched!

*May 15 2006 - NVC received petition today!

*May 17 2006 - Case left NVC today!!

*May 30 2006 - Received Packet 3 from Vancouver!

*May 30 2006 - Faxed back Packet 3!!

*June 6 2006 - Received packet 4!

*June 20 2006 - Medical in Saskatoon

*June 28 2006 - Interview in Vancouver!!

*June 28 2006 - GOT THE VISA!!!*June 30 2006 - Moving day!

*July 3 2006 - Home at last!!

*July 28 2006 - married!

*September 13 2006 - Mailed AOS/EAD package

*September 25 2006 - Received NOA for AOS/EAD

*October 6 2006 - Biometrics appointments

*October 10 2006 - Touched!

*October 19 2006 - Transferred to CSC!

*October 26 2006 - Received by CSC

*October 27 2006 - Touched

*October 28 2006 - Touched again

*October 31 2006 - Touched again

*November 2 2006 - Touched again

*November 3 2006- and another touch

*November 7 2006- touched

*November 7 2006 - My case approved, still waiting for kids!

*November 8 2006 - Touched my case again

*November 13 2006 - Greencard arrived...yeah I can work!

*November 14 2006 - Touched my case again

*January 2007 - RFE for kids Greencard.

*February 2007 - kids medical and sent in RFE

*February 2007 - Received kids greencards