20 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I noticed on the AOS list, it requires a certified copy of the marriage certificate, but our probate court (where we filed for our license) says that they cannot give us a second certified copy, and that a certified copy of the license is the same thing as the 'big, pretty certificate'...? Is that correct in terms of what the AOS submission requires?

Thanks

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: South Korea
Timeline

where I live in Georgia, I can request how many copies of certified marriage certificate as I want as long as I pay $10 each. Also here there was a separate marriage certificate if used for immigration, and etc. Everything was same except for signature on the certificate was in blue instead of in black. As I found out marriage license is copy of form that was filed out and submitted to obtain marriage license. So, in our case, we went ahead and submitted both certified marriage certificate and certified marriage license. But for AOS only required information was marriage certificate.

Edited by Soju

K1 Visa

4/13/2011 I-129F Petition Sent
4/14/2011 I-129F received at Lewisville, TX
4/18/2011 Electronic NOA1 received
4/19/2011 Check Posted
4/21/2011 NOA1 Hard Copy received- Notice Date: APR 15,2011
8/4/2011 NOA2 Text Notification
8/22/2011 Packet 3 Received
8/25/2011 Packet 4 Received
9/8/2011 Interview
9/16/2011 Visa Received
9/24/2011 POE

AOS

10/25/2011 AOE/I-765/I-131 sent
11/4/2011 NOA1 Hard Copy received- Notice Date: 10/31/2011
11/30/2011 Bio Appointment
12/27/2011 I-765/I-131 approved
1/6/2012 EAD/Advanced parole card received
9/30/2012 Service Request opened with USCIS - no response
10/26/2012 Infopass opened at Atlanta Office
10/23/2012 I-765 EAD renewal sent
10/23/2012 Requested US Senator for Assistance with case
11/1/2012 Received via mail being adjudicated
11/15/2012 AOS approved
11/21/2012 Green card received
11/27/2012 Sent letter cancellation of I-765 EAD renewal and biometrics

ROC

9/18/2014 ROC/I-751 sent
9/22/2014 NOA1 Receipt
10/23/2014 Bio Appointment

4/13/2015 Approved

Timeline

We got married in Georgia too, in Glynn County, but the woman on the phone said we could not get a copy of the certified certificate, that they did not do that, and that all we can have is the license?? So am I supposed to send off our only copy of a certificate??

Timeline

Ah ok so just a color copy of the original certified certificate? And who would you suggest, I ask to notorize them? Sorry if I am slow on the uptake on this, I have been a little confused by the court!

Thanks so much for the help here.

I haven't read anywhere in the actual USCIS instructions that says a certified copy is required, it just says a copy. My AP and EAD were both applied for in this way and there were no problems, and I don't expect any with AOS either

event.png

It doesn't say in the instructions it has to be certified but some people have had RFEs for a certified copy of the marriage certificate.

Any notary public should be able to do it, you'll have to provide the original, a copy and some ID. I don't know why your court say they won't do extra copies for you, they are just certified photocopies, they should do as many as you want (for a fee). Our court charged $2 per copy.

It doesn't say in the instructions it has to be certified but some people have had RFEs for a certified copy of the marriage certificate.

Any notary public should be able to do it, you'll have to provide the original, a copy and some ID. I don't know why your court say they won't do extra copies for you, they are just certified photocopies, they should do as many as you want (for a fee). Our court charged $2 per copy.

OK I have consulted with my lawyer (my husband!). Ignore what I just said.

Copies of documents filed at the court can only be certified by the court. Then they are as good as the original.

Your court should provide as many certified copies as you need, but you will probably need to pay a fee for each. Ours charged $2 per copy. The policy probably varies by state. I have my lawyer looking into this right now...he will get back to us.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: South Korea
Timeline

We got married in Georgia too, in Glynn County, but the woman on the phone said we could not get a copy of the certified certificate, that they did not do that, and that all we can have is the license?? So am I supposed to send off our only copy of a certificate??

howdy Georgian.. We gotten married in Gwinnett County. Read this and it will explain the difference between license and marriage certificate.

http://www.gwinnettcounty.com/portal/gwinnett/Services/MarriageLicense

I think each county is different....

K1 Visa

4/13/2011 I-129F Petition Sent
4/14/2011 I-129F received at Lewisville, TX
4/18/2011 Electronic NOA1 received
4/19/2011 Check Posted
4/21/2011 NOA1 Hard Copy received- Notice Date: APR 15,2011
8/4/2011 NOA2 Text Notification
8/22/2011 Packet 3 Received
8/25/2011 Packet 4 Received
9/8/2011 Interview
9/16/2011 Visa Received
9/24/2011 POE

AOS

10/25/2011 AOE/I-765/I-131 sent
11/4/2011 NOA1 Hard Copy received- Notice Date: 10/31/2011
11/30/2011 Bio Appointment
12/27/2011 I-765/I-131 approved
1/6/2012 EAD/Advanced parole card received
9/30/2012 Service Request opened with USCIS - no response
10/26/2012 Infopass opened at Atlanta Office
10/23/2012 I-765 EAD renewal sent
10/23/2012 Requested US Senator for Assistance with case
11/1/2012 Received via mail being adjudicated
11/15/2012 AOS approved
11/21/2012 Green card received
11/27/2012 Sent letter cancellation of I-765 EAD renewal and biometrics

ROC

9/18/2014 ROC/I-751 sent
9/22/2014 NOA1 Receipt
10/23/2014 Bio Appointment

4/13/2015 Approved

http://health.state.ga.us/programs/vitalrecords/marriage.asp

This explains how to get certified copies of your marriage certificate in Georgia. Your probate court is wrong, or maybe they meant they only provide you with one FREE copy.

You'll need a copy of your certificate, not your license (the license only allows you to get married). In my case the license WAS the certificate, once signed.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

I have never seen ANY RFE's for a certified copy. A regular photocopy (per the instructions) is sufficient. Mine was black and white. I was approved in less than 3 months without RFE.

You will keep the original marriage certificate and you can make copies and get them notarised.

They do not need to be notarised. Regular photocopies are all that is required.

I noticed on the AOS list, it requires a certified copy of the marriage certificate, but our probate court (where we filed for our license) says that they cannot give us a second certified copy, and that a certified copy of the license is the same thing as the 'big, pretty certificate'...? Is that correct in terms of what the AOS submission requires?

Thanks

The AOS list is wrong. You only need a REGULAR photocopy. Have a look at the AOS thread in my signature.

I have never seen ANY RFE's for a certified copy. A regular photocopy (per the instructions) is sufficient. Mine was black and white. I was approved in less than 3 months without RFE.

The AOS list is wrong. You only need a REGULAR photocopy. Have a look at the AOS thread in my signature.

It says in the VJ guide that some people have received an RFE for a certified copy. I don't know if this is still happening, maybe this is no longer the case, but just in case I sent a certified copy.

Timeline

It says in the VJ guide that some people have received an RFE for a certified copy. I don't know if this is still happening, maybe this is no longer the case, but just in case I sent a certified copy.

I would ignore the guide (which is why I wrote my own, there are a few things wrong with the VJ one.. including that point which I've raised on several occasions). I've never seen an RFE for a photocopy, like I said, instructions state "photocopy".

Edited by Vanessa&Tony

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

At our AOS interview they specifically wanted to see an original with the raised seal. Photocopy was not good enough.

If at first you don't succeed, then sky diving is not for you.

Someone stole my dictionary. Now I am at a loss for words.

If Apple made a car, would it have windows?

Ban shredded cheese. Make America Grate Again .

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.  Deport him and you never have to feed him again.

I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.

I went bald but I kept my comb.  I just couldn't part with it.

My name is not Richard Edward but my friends still call me DickEd

If your pet has a bladder infection, urine trouble.

"Watch out where the huskies go, and don't you eat that yellow snow."

I fired myself from cleaning the house. I didn't like my attitude and I got caught drinking on the job.

My kid has A.D.D... and a couple of F's

Carrots improve your vision.  Alcohol doubles it.

A dung beetle walks into a bar and asks " Is this stool taken?"

Breaking news.  They're not making yardsticks any longer.

Hemorrhoids?  Shouldn't they be called Assteroids?

If life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.

Timeline

At our AOS interview they specifically wanted to see an original with the raised seal. Photocopy was not good enough.

INTERVIEW is different to sending the AOS packet. Interview of course originals are required. Sending with the AOS packet photocopies are all that is required.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.