14 posts in this topic

Filed: FB-2 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

how long after entering the U.S with an immigrant do you receive you green card and social?

A little over 2 decades ago, I can vividly remember that I received my social security after about 3 weeks, and the green card about 2 months after. I am not sure how fast it is now. Hope it helps!

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

how long after entering the U.S with an immigrant do you receive you green card and social?

Usually within a month.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

I think they say within 6 weeks...

10/09/06 - First met

12/09/07 - Started dating

01/30/09 - Patrick moved back to the States, Long distance :(

06/26/10 - Patrick proposed!!!

02/17/11 - Civil Wedding (just the two of us in Gibraltar)

03/16/11 - I130 Sent

03/24/11 - I130 Received

06/05/11 - I130 Approved

07/11/11 - AOS Paid

07/23/11 - Big Wedding

08/13/11 - NVC IV Bill Paid

08/23/11 - AOS Sent

08/24/11 - DS230 and Documents Sent

08/27/11 - DS230 and Documents Received

09/07/11 - AOS Complete

09/12/11 - Case Complete

09/30/11 - Interview Date Assigned

10/27/11 - Medical

11/18/11 - Interview

12/01/11 - Visa Approved

12/02/11 - Visa in Hand!!!

12/07/11 - Together again

event.png

Timeline

I think they say within 6 weeks...

I am not "THEY". It doesn't usually take that long.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

I am not "THEY". It doesn't usually take that long.

Excuse me, what on earth would make you think I was addressing you. I was merely responding to the topic by saying that 'they', the american embassy, have told me it should be with the applicant WITHIN six weeks!

10/09/06 - First met

03/16/11 - I130 Sent

03/24/11 - I130 Received

06/05/11 - I130 Approved

07/11/11 - AOS Paid

07/23/11 - Big Wedding

08/23/11 - AOS Sent

09/07/11 - AOS Complete

09/12/11 - Case Complete

10/27/11 - Medical

11/18/11 - Interview

12/01/11 - Visa Approved

event.png

Timeline

Excuse me, what on earth would make you think I was addressing you. I was merely responding to the topic by saying that 'they', the american embassy, have told me it should be with the applicant WITHIN six weeks!

The original poster was asking for real information from somebody who knows the answer. Neither the US Embassy or any part of the US Dept. of State, has anything to do with actually producing or mailing a green card. That is a function of the US Dept. of Homeland Security. The experienced members here on VJ actually know how long it usually takes after entry for the green card to arrive. Even the CBP agent that clears the immigrant for entry will tell them the standard, "cover your behind" time frame that is unrealistically wrong. When it comes to the Government and timelines, they always err on the side of lowering one's expectations.

In most cases the green card arrives three weeks from entry. In almost all cases it's within a month. A delay is unusual but possible.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

The original poster was asking for real information from somebody who knows the answer. Neither the US Embassy or any part of the US Dept. of State, has anything to do with actually producing or mailing a green card. That is a function of the US Dept. of Homeland Security. The experienced members here on VJ actually know how long it usually takes after entry for the green card to arrive. Even the CBP agent that clears the immigrant for entry will tell them the standard, "cover your behind" time frame that is unrealistically wrong. When it comes to the Government and timelines, they always err on the side of lowering one's expectations.

In most cases the green card arrives three weeks from entry. In almost all cases it's within a month. A delay is unusual but possible.

What an unexpectedly aggressive response. Whilst six weeks may be an overly generous estimate it was nonetheless what an official of the US government had told me on this topic two days ago. This was incidentally supported by the experiences of a friend who received theirs five weeks after entering the states back in 2010.

Surely the whole point of a message board is for each member to share their own personal experiences or any information they may have to help shed light on an issue and help make the process easier for everyone; there wouldn't be much of a point to a discussion-based message board otherwise.

10/09/06 - First met

03/16/11 - I130 Sent

03/24/11 - I130 Received

06/05/11 - I130 Approved

07/11/11 - AOS Paid

07/23/11 - Big Wedding

08/23/11 - AOS Sent

09/07/11 - AOS Complete

09/12/11 - Case Complete

10/27/11 - Medical

11/18/11 - Interview

12/01/11 - Visa Approved

event.png

Timeline

Surely the whole point of a message board is for each member to share their own personal experiences or any information they may have to help shed light on an issue and help make the process easier for everyone; there wouldn't be much of a point to a discussion-based message board otherwise.

Perhaps that would be the whole point of some message boards and even some forums on this message board. However, in the upper forums discussing actual immigration issues, the point is to obtain the necessary accurate information needed for success and to set proper expectations for the process. Once the real information from people who know has been provided, additional data points, from the wrong source covering their tail serves more to confuse folks than to help them.

When it's YOU looking for answers, I expect you appreciate my point.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

Perhaps that would be the whole point of some message boards and even some forums on this message board. However, in the upper forums discussing actual immigration issues, the point is to obtain the necessary accurate information needed for success and to set proper expectations for the process. Once the real information from people who know has been provided, additional data points, from the wrong source covering their tail serves more to confuse folks than to help them.

When it's YOU looking for answers, I expect you appreciate my point.

I always appreciate anyone who takes the time to offer advice and support. I shall leave you to your "upper forums".

Goodbye.

10/09/06 - First met

03/16/11 - I130 Sent

03/24/11 - I130 Received

06/05/11 - I130 Approved

07/11/11 - AOS Paid

07/23/11 - Big Wedding

08/23/11 - AOS Sent

09/07/11 - AOS Complete

09/12/11 - Case Complete

10/27/11 - Medical

11/18/11 - Interview

12/01/11 - Visa Approved

event.png

Timeline

I always appreciate anyone who takes the time to offer advice and support. I shall leave you to your "upper forums".

Goodbye.

Not to beat a dead horse, but my point is, I doubt you would appreciate those who take the time to offer misleading advice, particularly when it conflicts with accurate advice already given. The heart might be in the right place but accuracy and actual help are more important.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

Timeline

Can you work in the USA with just the entry stamp on your passport or does it take a month or so after you enter to receive it?

You are authorized to work with only the entry stamp, which includes the "endorsement" of your visa. However, only an employer who both understands this and is willing to wait a few weeks for you to submit the necessary documentation would hire you on that basis. Usually, you would provide a signed I-9 form with a copy of a Social Security card and Green Card on day one of employment but some employers in the know might be willing to wait a few weeks for the supporting documentation as long as they know you are entitled to it and it is coming soon.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.