agenthelp

BEEN ACCUSED OF ABUSE

34 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

I am what you would call US citizen who happend to get married to a foreigner( wont mention ) the country of her origin as I wouldnt want to offend anyone from that country .I know people are different cant judge anyone from that country .I met my wife online in and I went to her country we married in her country though I filed for a k1 visa for her which was easy .She was approved and came here to the USA .We have 2 childrren together and we been married now 5 years .We had problems the 18 months ,she claimed that she was having difficulties to adjust and her pregnancy at that time and that she missed home and her people and the food she didnt like it .this brought a toil of our marriage in the process I got upset and didnt file immigration papers for her.She has been out of status since 2006 I just found out that she filed for vawa under emotional abuse and she gat her green card .MY BIG QUESTION IS how is this going to affect me as a person.Can I be arrested or what .I am really freaking out now.How did she manage to get a green card without my help.Iam sorry I never filed immigration papers I was scared she would run away with our children to her country I need help please.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Probably more to the story here. She used the system, If no local police came you are probably good to go. I think I would see an attorney to cover yourself. If you get arrested for spousal abouse you have additional big problems beside your marriage and kids.

In Arizona its hot hot hot.

http://www.uscis.gov/dateCalculator.html

our problems where not were we could become physical so no police involved I hear people can be approved based on emotional abuse.Yes its my fault maybe somehow somewhere for failing to file AOS for her ,she said becuase I constantly made threats about her being out of status and she was affraid of being deported and leaving the children behind thats why she filed for vawa,her having a green card I careless but does that affect my charactor or my job ,am I in the system as a bad person also if we divorce does that mean I cant petition for anyone?

Probably more to the story here. She used the system, If no local police came you are probably good to go. I think I would see an attorney to cover yourself. If you get arrested for spousal abouse you have additional big problems beside your marriage and kids.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Costa Rica
Timeline

If she filed under VAWA and was approved for green card you are definitely noted in the USCIS database. If you divorce and then petition for another woman you will have issues and the VAWA will be a dificult obstacale to overcome.

Also, due to IMBRA - any future woman you petition will be notified by the Embassy that your last (current) wife filed VAWA and was approved. There is no way to expunge this from your record and is in a database that is checked by USCIS, NVC and the Embassy.

You will have problems petitioning someone else in the future...

K-1 JOURNEY

157 DAYS FROM NOA-1 TO NOA-2

181 DAYS FROM NOA-1 TO INTERVIEW

07/14/2011 - I-129F sent via FedEx to USCIS
07/15/2011 - Arrived at CSC, signed for by E. Jameson
07/15/2011 - NOA-1 (E-Mail)
07/19/2011 - NOA-1 (Hard Copy)
08/01/2011 - Touched
12/19/2011 - Touched
12/19/2011 - NOA-2 (E-Mail)
12/22/2011 - X-Ray
12/22/2011 - Lab Work
12/23/2011 - NOA-2 (Hard Copy)
12/27/2011 - NVC Received
12/28/2011 - San Jose Embassy Case Number Assigned
12/29/2011 - NVC Sent Petition via DHL to Embassy
12/30/2011 - Embassy Received Petition, signed for by J. Rodriguez
01/04/2011 - Medical
01/09/2011 - Packet 3 Received
01/12/2011 - Embassy Interview - Approved
01/19/2011 - Visa Received
01/21/2012 - POE (Ft. Lauderdale, FL - USA)
01/23/2012 - SSA Issued Fresy's SSN
02/18/2012 - Wedding

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

Life is not measured by the breaths you take. Rather, life is measured by the moments that take your breath away!

Hope you guys understand yes I didnt file for AOS was trying to protect my kids thought she would run with them to her country also became scared as I didnt file for her in so many years thought that would put me in trouble.Anyway she has her card now like I said which I careless .My question how does being labled as an abuser affect my charactor ,can the police came for me .I am just scared ,how about my kids .I am planning to divorce how will that affect me having custody of my kids?

She filed for VAWA based on your psychological abuse in that you did not file to get her green card. Psychological abuse is as bad if not worse than verbal and/or physical abuse.

Hope you guys understand yes I didnt file for AOS was trying to protect my kids thought she would run with them to her country also became scared as I didnt file for her in so many years thought that would put me in trouble.Anyway she has her card now like I said which I careless .My question how does being labled as an abuser affect my charactor ,can the police came for me .I am just scared ,how about my kids .I am planning to divorce how will that affect me having custody of my kids?

I think you being the abuser in your case will not affect your character or your job as no one other than immigration will know. I doubt very much the police will come for you or they would have already have been. Your wife could fight you for custody of the kids. Your wife can not take the kids out of the country without your permission.

You should see a lawyer.

You should definitely see a lawyer, but it sounds like you need a family law lawyer, not an immigration lawyer. The immigration stuff is done, USCIS has dealt with it, she got her green card. Your divorce/custody case, however, is something you'll need to handle.

I am slightly confused, though - if you were already married in her country, how did she get a K-1 visa?

OUR TIMELINE

I am the USC, husband is adjusting from B2.

ADJUSTMENT OF STATUS

08.06.2010 - Sent off I-485
08.25.2010 - NOA hard copies received (x4), case status available online: 765, 131, 130.
10.15.2010 - RFE received: need 2 additional photos for AP.
10.18.2010 - RFE response sent certified mail
10.21.2010 - Service request placed for biometrics
10.25.2010 - RFE received per USCIS
10.26.2010 - Text/email received - AP approved!
10.28.2010 - Biometrics appointment received, dated 10/22 - set for 11/19 @ 3:00 PM
11.01.2010 - Successful biometrics walk-in @ 9:45 AM; EAD card sent for production text/email @ 2:47 PM! I-485 case status now available online.
11.04.2010 - Text/Email (2nd) - EAD card sent for production
11.08.2010 - Text/Email (3rd) - EAD approved
11.10.2010 - EAD received
12.11.2010 - Interview letter received - 01.13.11
01.13.2011 - Interview - no decision on the spot
01.24.2011 - Approved! Card production ordered!

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

11.02.2012 - Mailed I-751 packet to VSC
11.08.2012 - Checks cashed
11.10.2012 - NOA1 received, dated 11.06.2012
11.17.2012 - Biometrics letter received for 12.05.2012
11.23.2012 - Successful early biometrics walk-in

05.03.2013 - Approved! Card production ordered!

CITIZENSHIP

Filing in November 2013

hello ceadsearc

Yes we married twice first in her country and second here in the USA.I had filed for a K1 visa for her ,whilest waiting we went ahead and married in her country and 2 months later the k1 was approved.So we didnt change the process to CR1 .We left the process as it was we just went ahead and gat married within 90 days of her arrival.

You should definitely see a lawyer, but it sounds like you need a family law lawyer, not an immigration lawyer. The immigration stuff is done, USCIS has dealt with it, she got her green card. Your divorce/custody case, however, is something you'll need to handle.

I am slightly confused, though - if you were already married in her country, how did she get a K-1 visa?

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Venezuela
Timeline

ooh AND lied to the USCIS.. no bueno.. don't ask me to be character witness.. :devil:

K101/17/2012.....I-129F ..... sent to Dallas, Texas

01/25/2012.....NOA1 (text & email) ..... sent to Vermont Service Center

01/28/2012.....NOA1 Hard Copy in Mail

07/31/2012.....NOA2.. 188 days update@USCIS

08/03/2012.....NOA2.. Hard Copy

09/04/2012.....Sent Email to Caracas Embassy for Interview date.. they had not contacted her

09/05/2012.....Embassy response.. with interview date!!

10/17/2012.....INTERVIEW @Caracas Embassy!

10/17/2012.....INTERVIEW @Caracas Embassy... APPROVED!!

12/31/2012.....POE.. Miami, arrived to AUSTIN next day smile.png

02/16/2013.....Married!!

AOS - K1

05/06/2013.....I-465 & I-765 sent USPS priority mail

05/14/2013......Email, Text of Receiving package on 5/11

05/16/2013......Hard Copy of NOA1 received: I-465 and _I-765 Application for employment

05/20/2013...... Bio-metric hard-copy.
05/29/2013...... Biometric scheduled. . Austin office

07/15/2013...... EAD card arrived in mail today smile.png

10/20/2013...... Green Card approved! NOA hardcopy received!

10/31/2013...... Green Card Delivered!!

ROC-I-751
07/21/15 90 day Window Opens

07/24/15 I-751 Mailed to Cali. Service Center
09/03/15 Biometeric scheduled and completed

01/26/16 ROC Letter arrived
01/30/16 10 yr Green Card arrived

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

:unsure: Yeah, there's got to be more to the story alright. But from the little information we have so far, it is clear that the consequences of not doing things right in the first place are catching up now. Since the OP decided to share this situation with the VJ community, I for one would like to hear the wife's version (probably not going to happen).

"... I am sorry I never filed immigration papers I was scared she would run away with our children to her country..." -- the timeline of getting married (in her country), coming to the U.S. on a K-1, having children, not filing immigration papers.... :blink: ....something is out of whack here.

Our wedding pics with music...

http://animoto.com/play/SA1SIQmniZA5gRc3pxkDEA

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline

It doesn't matter if you were scared or not, it matters what is considered abuse physically or emotionally in the eyes of USCIS and/or the law. Being out of status for your wife also meant not being able to return to you if she wanted to visit her foreign family. For 5 years, that is. I'm not siding with your wife/ex-wife just to make it clear. But if she convinced USCIS of abuse you may want to see a lawyer about the issue of child custody if you haven't already.

Getting a greencard on her own showed that she wasn't going to run off to her home country the minute she got it.

K1 process, October 2010 > POE, July 2011

I-129F approved in 180 days from NOA1 date. (195 days from filing to NOA2 in hand)

Interview took 224 days from I-129F NOA1 date. (241 days from filing petition until visa in hand)

From filing I-129F petition until POE: 285 days

Click timeline or "about me" for all details.

AOS process, December 2011 > July 2012

EAD/AP Approval took 51 days from NOA1 date to email update. (77 days from filing until EAD/AP in hand)

AOS Approval took 206 days from NOA1 date to email update. (231 days from filing until greencard in hand)

From filing I-129F petition until greencard in hand: 655 days

Click timeline or "about me" for all details.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Switzerland
Timeline

LOL "trying to protect your kids"??? she's been out of status since 2006 and how were you trying to protect your kids by having their mom remaining illegal therefore could have been deported anytime?

Yeah...good luck i wish y'all the best and next time you get a wife, please don't abuse her..

I think it's a lot to leave your home country, come to the US being homesick and dealing with a man who threatens to never file for your papers that's called being CONTROLLING and yes it is worse than physical abuse, poor girl...SMH

mj92vv4eoa21.png

10/03/11 Mailed package AOS from VWP 4 years overstay (i-485,i-130,i-765, i-864 and i-693) to the Chicago lockbox

10/06/11 Delivered to USCIS

10/07/11 Checks cashed 1490$ from personal bank account

10/10/11 Received NOA's for i-130, i-765 and i-485

10/15/11 Biometrics appt received dated for 11/04/11

11/04/11 Biometrics successful!! took about 10 mins

12/01/11 EAD Approved!!! (in 58 days)

12/08/11 EAD received.

12/12/11 Applied for a Social Security card/number.

12/16/11 Received a Social security card/number.

12/22/11 Interview notice received for Jan 23 2012.

01/23/12 Interview in Atlanta..APPROVED on the spot!

02/02/12 Green card received in the mail! DONE! :D

LOL "trying to protect your kids"??? she's been out of status since 2006 and how were you trying to protect your kids by having their mom remaining illegal therefore could have been deported anytime?

Yeah...good luck i wish y'all the best and next time you get a wife, please don't abuse her..

I think it's a lot to leave your home country, come to the US being homesick and dealing with a man who threatens to never file for your papers that's called being CONTROLLING and yes it is worse than physical abuse, poor girl...SMH

My wife is verbally abusive, has thrown hot tea at me and then punched me and I'm sure there will be more physical attacks in the future but my wife not doing my AOS and lying about it is the worse abuse, its 24/7. Last Thursday my wifes ex came to the door with batteries for my step daughters calculator, my wife asked him for the $40 he owed her he said he didn't have it so she chased after him with an hot bowl of soup and threw it at him.

My wife like you needs help, I suggest you see a lawyer because your wife could get you on spousal abuse of a foreign partner and you should read about cognitive behavioral therapy and dialectical behavioral therapy. Both types of therapy will make you a better, happier guy for your kids, yourself and future wife.

In an ideal world I wish that you and your wife would get back together and make things right.

hello ceadsearc

Yes we married twice first in her country and second here in the USA.I had filed for a K1 visa for her ,whilest waiting we went ahead and married in her country and 2 months later the k1 was approved.So we didnt change the process to CR1 .We left the process as it was we just went ahead and gat married within 90 days of her arrival.

Ah, I see. Well, I honestly have no idea if that could come back and bite you (or her) later, but it's definitely misuse of a visa since a K-1 applicant CANNOT be married before entering the country.

OUR TIMELINE

I am the USC, husband is adjusting from B2.

ADJUSTMENT OF STATUS

08.06.2010 - Sent off I-485
08.25.2010 - NOA hard copies received (x4), case status available online: 765, 131, 130.
10.15.2010 - RFE received: need 2 additional photos for AP.
10.18.2010 - RFE response sent certified mail
10.21.2010 - Service request placed for biometrics
10.25.2010 - RFE received per USCIS
10.26.2010 - Text/email received - AP approved!
10.28.2010 - Biometrics appointment received, dated 10/22 - set for 11/19 @ 3:00 PM
11.01.2010 - Successful biometrics walk-in @ 9:45 AM; EAD card sent for production text/email @ 2:47 PM! I-485 case status now available online.
11.04.2010 - Text/Email (2nd) - EAD card sent for production
11.08.2010 - Text/Email (3rd) - EAD approved
11.10.2010 - EAD received
12.11.2010 - Interview letter received - 01.13.11
01.13.2011 - Interview - no decision on the spot
01.24.2011 - Approved! Card production ordered!

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

11.02.2012 - Mailed I-751 packet to VSC
11.08.2012 - Checks cashed
11.10.2012 - NOA1 received, dated 11.06.2012
11.17.2012 - Biometrics letter received for 12.05.2012
11.23.2012 - Successful early biometrics walk-in

05.03.2013 - Approved! Card production ordered!

CITIZENSHIP

Filing in November 2013

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.