one...two...tree

Slimeball

33 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

Man charged with faking son's illness by keeping him thin

AP

NEW HAVEN, Conn. - A father was arrested on charges of faking cystic fibrosis in his son by keeping the boy thin and fabricating medical bills - a story that authorities say fooled even his estranged wife.

Michael Bradway, 38, who has a history of forgery and larceny, was arrested Wednesday. The boy, now 9, was put in state care last year and immediately began to gain weight and thrive, according to court papers. He now lives with his mother.

Cystic fibrosis, which can be fatal, causes thick, sticky mucus to build up in the lungs and digestive system. It affects about 30,000 people in the United States.

Authorities said Bradway began fabricating medical bills in 2001 when the boy was 5. He also put the child on a severe diet to make him thin. To duck doctors, he told school officials that the boy could not be immunized for religious reasons.

The boy frequently missed school, and authorities said Bradway convinced school officials that his son needed to take medication every two hours.

Bradway told his in-laws that the boy would probably need a lung transplant and that a hospital in Canada specialized in such cases, according to the arrest affidavit. They eventually contributed more than $38,000 for their grandson's medical care.

The affidavit said Bradway also convinced a volunteer group of his son's illness. The group, Landmark Volunteers, asked him to join the board and offered a donation, according to the affidavit.

The boy's mother, Ericka Hollander, who was separated from her husband at the time, began to question the diagnosis more than a year ago and asked for medical records, authorities said.

Her lawyer called the situation "despicable."

"This child is growing up for four or five years thinking he had a fatal disease and he was getting worse," said her attorney, J. Michael Sconyers. "She was beyond devastated. For years she was thinking he was a father acting in the best interests of the child."

Bradway, of Cornwall, was arrested at a hospital on child abuse and larceny charges. Prosecutor John Massameno declined to say why Bradway was hospitalized. His father told authorities that Bradway has bipolar disorder, the arrest affidavit said.

He was being held on $500,000 bond and was to be arraigned Thursday. If convicted, he could face up to 35 years in prison.

It was not immediately clear if Bradway had an attorney yet.

Bradway was convicted in 1994 of larceny and forgery for operating as an unregistered broker in Massachusetts and embezzling $167,000, authorities said. He was sentenced to one year in prison.

The arrest affidavit alleges lies including claims that he attended Yale and Harvard universities and lost a business partner in the Sept. 11 attacks, authorities said.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I found his public defenders statement from the CNN article a bit disurbing also

His public defender, James Longwell, called the case a "parting shot in a divorce action" and said other facts will come out that will "put a different light on this."

"I think he had a good-faith basis to believe there may have been cystic fibrosis," he said.

How on earth could he do all that and have a "good-faith basis to believe there may have been cystic fibrosis"?

July 12, 2002 - Married

I130

May 18, 2005 - Sent Certified Mail USPS with Money Order for fees

May 20, 2005 - Received Date

June 2, 2005 - Notice Date

June 6, 2005 - Received NOA1

September 10, 2005No action to date

December 1, 2005 -Approved

I129

August 25, 2005 - Sent Certified Mail USPS with Money Order for fees

August 26, 2005 - USPS tracking shows Delivered, August 26, 2005, 1:54 pm, CHICAGO, IL 60680

September 7, 2005 - "touched" I think

September 12, 2005 - Received NOA1 showing receipt date of August 30, 2005

October 17, 2005 - APPROVED!!!

November 27, 2005 - Received by NVC

November 3, 2005 - RFE received from Consulate

November 18, 2005 - RFE delivered to Consulate

November 28, 2005 - Instructions received

December 6, 2005 - Medical Appt Much confusion and lack of communication by Physicians caused much delay :(

March 23 - Checklist received

May 12 - Packet 4 received

June 1 - Interview

June 1 - APPROVED!!!!!

June 7 - Steve Arrived home

Timeline
I found his public defenders statement from the CNN article a bit disurbing also
His public defender, James Longwell, called the case a "parting shot in a divorce action" and said other facts will come out that will "put a different light on this."

"I think he had a good-faith basis to believe there may have been cystic fibrosis," he said.

How on earth could he do all that and have a "good-faith basis to believe there may have been cystic fibrosis"?

Exactly. His track record tells otherwise...

Bradway was convicted in 1994 of larceny and forgery for operating as an unregistered broker in Massachusetts and embezzling $167,000, authorities said. He was sentenced to one year in prison.

a chopf##k indeed

Peace to All creatures great and small............................................

But when we turn to the Hebrew literature, we do not find such jokes about the donkey. Rather the animal is known for its strength and its loyalty to its master (Genesis 49:14; Numbers 22:30).

Peppi_drinking_beer.jpg

my burro, bosco ..enjoying a beer in almaty

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...st&id=10835

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Exactly. His track record tells otherwise...

wow steve, for all your whining about due process for terrorists, your so quick in your judgement here. does this man not deserve his due process also? :whistle:

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

As someone who does public defense work all I can say is that you have a duty to diligently represent your client. One of the worst jobs that ever existed, but needed.

Date I-129F Sent : 03/17/2006

Date I-129F NOA1: 04/03/2006

I-129F RFE(s) : 08/10/2006

I-129F RFE Reply(s) : 08/17/2006

Date I-129F NOA2 (Approved) : 08/18/2006

Date Package Received By NVC : 09/05/2006

Date Sent to Embassy: 09/18/2006 assigned number MNL2006743xxx

Date Embassy received 09/26/2006

letter-touched 10/17/2006

information on medical and interview 11/17/2006

Packet with Information 11/29/2006

Medical 1/12/2007

Interview 1/19/2007

Timeline

wow steve, for all your whining about due process for terrorists, your so quick in your judgement here. does this man not deserve his due process also? :whistle:

surveysays3.jpg

:blink: You're serious? "Due process for terrorists"??? Terrorists - he says...hmmmm. And of course, the court of public opinion really stings against the skin. Due process in a court of law on the other hand...who needs a court when King George makes the rules? 'Comeback' when you've actually have got one. ;)

Filed: Timeline

surveysays3.jpg

:blink: You're serious? "Due process for terrorists"??? Terrorists - he says...hmmmm. And of course, the court of public opinion really stings against the skin. Due process in a court of law on the other hand...who needs a court when King George makes the rules? 'Comeback' when you've actually have got one. ;)

you take umbrage at 'terrorist' yet you openly call this guy a slime when he hasn't been found guilty of anything yet.

mrrogersbig.gif

Timeline

surveysays3.jpg

you take umbrage at 'terrorist' yet you openly call this guy a slime when he hasn't been found guilty of anything yet.

Presuming someone whose being detained a terrorist and calling someone a slimeball, I think most would agree, are two very different things.

Perhaps I'm mistaken but I've never heard of anyone dying from me having a negative opinion of their character. But maybe you can enlighten me? ;)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

surveysays3.jpg

Presuming someone whose being detained a terrorist and calling someone a slimeball, I think most would agree, are two very different things.

Perhaps I'm mistaken but I've never heard of anyone dying from me having a negative opinion of their character. But maybe you can enlighten me? ;)

heaven forbid they might be terrorist slimeballs :P

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Timeline

surveysays3.jpg

heaven forbid they might be terrorist slimeballs :P

All terrorists are slimeballs, but not all slimeballs are terrorists. :P