Tiff

Non US Citizen Deported

16 posts in this topic

I have a friend who heard me bragging about Visajourney forum and she asked me to post her story because she can not speak English too well. Apologize if this topic in the wrong forum, and please move this post where appropriate. Thank you in advance for your feedback.

Her boyfriend came to America under HO Program (Humanitarian Resettlement (HR) process in order to consider Vietnamese citizens who were former soldiers or officials of the former southern government before April 30, 1975 and were in re-education centers after April 30, 1975 (HO program.) He has an assault felony charge and will be deported back to Vietnam soon because he is not American citizen. Her question for us is what can she do to help him stay. Can they get marry since she is US citizen? Can he open a business here to help him stay?

She is waiting for your answer. Thank you once again.

Tiff

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Venezuela
Timeline

he has a felony charge on him (is it pending or has he been found guilty).. getting married now, would probably not help.. the felony is probably a more pressing matter..

K101/17/2012.....I-129F ..... sent to Dallas, Texas

01/25/2012.....NOA1 (text & email) ..... sent to Vermont Service Center

01/28/2012.....NOA1 Hard Copy in Mail

07/31/2012.....NOA2.. 188 days update@USCIS

08/03/2012.....NOA2.. Hard Copy

09/04/2012.....Sent Email to Caracas Embassy for Interview date.. they had not contacted her

09/05/2012.....Embassy response.. with interview date!!

10/17/2012.....INTERVIEW @Caracas Embassy!

10/17/2012.....INTERVIEW @Caracas Embassy... APPROVED!!

12/31/2012.....POE.. Miami, arrived to AUSTIN next day smile.png

02/16/2013.....Married!!

AOS - K1

05/06/2013.....I-465 & I-765 sent USPS priority mail

05/14/2013......Email, Text of Receiving package on 5/11

05/16/2013......Hard Copy of NOA1 received: I-465 and _I-765 Application for employment

05/20/2013...... Bio-metric hard-copy.
05/29/2013...... Biometric scheduled. . Austin office

07/15/2013...... EAD card arrived in mail today smile.png

10/20/2013...... Green Card approved! NOA hardcopy received!

10/31/2013...... Green Card Delivered!!

ROC-I-751
07/21/15 90 day Window Opens

07/24/15 I-751 Mailed to Cali. Service Center
09/03/15 Biometeric scheduled and completed

01/26/16 ROC Letter arrived
01/30/16 10 yr Green Card arrived

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Getting married to stop a deportation wont work. My friend tried and they were smashed in court about marrying to try and stop a deportation of a felon and they deported him anyways.

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Your I-129f was approved in 5 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 67 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

AOS was approved in 2 months and 8 days without interview.

ROC was approved in 3 months and 2 days without interview.

I am a Citizen of the United States of America. 04/16/13

Filed: Timeline

If the assault felony resulted in a prison term longer than one year, then it is an aggravated felony under immigration laws. An aggravated felony means that his deportation cannot be stopped and he will be unable to apply for any other legal status. Marriage to a US citizen and opening a business will not help him.

On July 11, 1995, the US established normal diplomatic relationship with Vietnam. This date is important when deporting Vietnamese people.

If the Vietnamese immigrated to the US before July 11, 1995, Vietnam will not accept the person if deported. That person will stay in immigration detention after deportation. This person could be parole into the US and receive an EAD.

If the Vietnamese immigrated to the US on July 11, 1995, or afterwards, Vietnam must take this person if deported.

--------------

I've personal experience with this. My brother immigrated to the US from Vietnam before 1995. Never became a US citizen. Committed an aggravated felony. Got deported. Got parole. Got his EAD. Lives and works like everyone else, he just can't leave the US. If he leaves the US, he would not be allowed to re-enter the US.

Edited by Jojo92122

Filed: Other Timeline

If someone is in deportation proceedings, anything that would attempt to prevent that, such as marriage to a US citizen, will be seen as what it is: a way to prevent deportation and thus will not be successful.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

If the assault felony resulted in a prison term longer than one year, then it is an aggravated felony under immigration laws. An aggravated felony means that his deportation cannot be stopped and he will be unable to apply for any other legal status. Marriage to a US citizen and opening a business will not help him.

On July 11, 1995, the US established normal diplomatic relationship with Vietnam. This date is important when deporting Vietnamese people.

If the Vietnamese immigrated to the US before July 11, 1995, Vietnam will not accept the person if deported. That person will stay in immigration detention after deportation. This person could be parole into the US and receive an EAD.

If the Vietnamese immigrated to the US on July 11, 1995, or afterwards, Vietnam must take this person if deported.

--------------

I've personal experience with this. My brother immigrated to the US from Vietnam before 1995. Never became a US citizen. Committed an aggravated felony. Got deported. Got parole. Got his EAD. Lives and works like everyone else, he just can't leave the US. If he leaves the US, he would not be allowed to re-enter the US.

Interesting to know - thanks for sharing.

My Advice is usually based on "Worst Case Scenario" and what is written in the rules/laws/instructions. That is the way I roll... -Protect your Status - file before your I-94 expires.

WARNING: Phrases in this post may sound meaner than they were intended to be. Read the Adjudicator's Field Manual from USCIS

--------------

I get the impression that the Vietnamese government still harbor feelings against South Vietnamese?

Filed: Country:
Timeline

Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe it's not a matter if the charge resulted in a term of longer than one year but rather if the maximum punishment for the charge is imprisonment of more than one year. So even if he only received a six month sentence if he could have been imprisoned for more than 12 months then he's still deportable.

I get the impression that the Vietnamese government still harbor feelings against South Vietnamese?

I don't think it's hard feelings. It's more about which country has to deal with the undesirable and economics.

Who wants the Vietnamese criminal? The US government doesn't want this person - that's why the Vietnamese person is losing his LPR status and being deported. The Vietnamese government doesn't want all the Vietnamese LPR rejects.

The Vietnamese government must take those who left Vietnam and immigrated to the US after 1995 because it is obligated to under the understanding it entered into with the US. Violating the agreement would affect Vietnam economically.

To me, it's not about the war. It's about who has to deal with these criminals with aggravated felonies and money.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe it's not a matter if the charge resulted in a term of longer than one year but rather if the maximum punishment for the charge is imprisonment of more than one year. So even if he only received a six month sentence if he could have been imprisoned for more than 12 months then he's still deportable.

INA 101(a)(43) - definition of aggravated felony: (F ) a crime of violence (as defined in section 16 of title 18, but not including a purely political offense) for which the term of imprisonment at least one year.

Don't know if that means a crime with a possible term of at least one year or actual imprisonment for one year. I think it is the latter.

Edited by Jojo92122

Filed: Country:
Timeline
Don't know if that means a crime with a possible term of at least one year or actual imprisonment for one year. I think it is the latter.

I've always seen it read as possible term not actual sentence.

When you think about it if it's done as actual sentence then that would open it up to challenge as two people charged with the same crime could have differing results based on the sentencing, IMHO...

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

OP said he had been charged, not convicted.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

OP said he had been charged, not convicted.

Never heard of anyone being deported because he/she was charged with a felony. Innocent until proven guilty? Seems kinda stupid to start deportation against a person who may be found "not guilty."

Generally, you have to have been convicted of a felony before deportation occurs. It is the conviction of an aggravated felony which results in revocation of LPR status and makes the person deportable.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Duplicate threads have been merged and duplicate post removed

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.