marie09

How can illegal aliens prove they are on a path to legalize their immigration status?

47 posts in this topic

Hi Everyone,

So for one of my grad classes I have to write on current news articles and wanted to write about the controversial topic of The CA Dream Act. However, i've been reading in numerous articles that part of the bill for illegal aliens to get state financial aid requires them to prove they are on a path to legalize their immigration status. I am confused at how they can prove this. I may be missing something here but I thought short of amnesty that this is pretty tough to do unless they entered legally and later got married or got an immediate relative to sponsor them. So how can someone who entered illegally prove this? Unless the proof rests more in proving they are law abiding?

Thanks in advance for your help and clarification.

Nov 6, 2012 N-400 mailed

Nov 7, 2012 N-400 delivered to Phoenix lockbox, signed by Arndt & case priority date

Nov 9, 2012 Case Touched, NOA date

Nov 13, 2012 Got text/e-mail with case number & the check was cashed :)

Nov 14, 2012 Case updated online to say biometrics apt. notice is on its way!

Nov 16, 2012 Received NOA & biometrics apt. letter

Nov 28, 2012 Biometrics apt.

Jan 4, 2013 In line for interview!

Jan 5, 2013 Scheduled for interview!

Jan 10, 2013 Received interview letter

Jan 19, 2013 Received yellow letter dated 1/16 asking me to bring more passport pics to the interview

Feb 11, 2013 Interview

Mar 8, 2013 Got an online update - oath scheduled!

Mar 13, 2013 Oath letter received

Mar 22, 2013 Oath! Officially an American citizen!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

Hi Everyone,

So for one of my grad classes I have to write on current news articles and wanted to write about the controversial topic of The CA Dream Act. However, i've been reading in numerous articles that part of the bill for illegal aliens to get state financial aid requires them to prove they are on a path to legalize their immigration status. I am confused at how they can prove this. I may be missing something here but I thought short of amnesty that this is pretty tough to do unless they entered legally and later got married or got an immediate relative to sponsor them. So how can someone who entered illegally prove this? Unless the proof rests more in proving they are law abiding?

Thanks in advance for your help and clarification.

If they sign on to a dating agency asking to marry a US citizen, they will be on path to legalization.

My brother in law just married a chica in this predicament so it is possible

He used to be a homeless person but now he lives in a church cellar and washes dishes in the evenings

Edited by Austin Devon

moresheep400100.jpg

If they sign on to a dating agency asking to marry a US citizen, they will be on path to legalization.

My brother in law just married a chica in this predicament so it is possible

He used to be a homeless person but now he lives in a church cellar and washes dishes in the evenings

Lol! So if someone walks across the border/enters illegally they too can get a green card through marriage? For some reason I thought you had to have entered legally?

Nov 6, 2012 N-400 mailed

Nov 7, 2012 N-400 delivered to Phoenix lockbox, signed by Arndt & case priority date

Jan 19, 2013 Received yellow letter dated 1/16 asking me to bring more passport pics to the interview

Feb 11, 2013 Interview

Timeline

Lol! So if someone walks across the border/enters illegally they too can get a green card through marriage? For some reason I thought you had to have entered legally?

oh that's far too technical for me but I would guess no...they need to sneak back home and then come back on a visa and then do it.

Huge % of folk do it that way

If I were a Mormon, I would marry them myself for enough quid pro quo - of course, if it was a chap, I would have to pick a state that allowed gay marriage

I have been married 3 times and there is nothing gay about it after the first few months.

In fact its very serious and no laughing matter

moresheep400100.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Can't they just show a copy of their NOA1 from their adjustment of status from Illegal alien to citizen?

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Timeline

Can't they just show a copy of their NOA1 from their adjustment of status from Illegal alien to citizen?

I think that's a contradiction in terms and you can only convert from an initially Legal alien (even if an overstayer)

Boston is full of Irish over-stayer bar staff (about 90% of Boston bar staff) who can convert, as they originally entered legally many years ago

Of course I may be wrong, especially as I have been self-prescribed cider for a heavy cold

moresheep400100.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

The above was a joke. There is no delineated path from illegal alien to citizen. It is POSSIBLE they could marry a US citizen and get a green card, particularly since the current admistration is looking the other way, but it is not "legal" per se. You are supposed to have entered legally.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Timeline

The above was a joke. There is no delineated path from illegal alien to citizen. It is POSSIBLE they could marry a US citizen and get a green card, particularly since the current admistration is looking the other way, but it is not "legal" per se. You are supposed to have entered legally.

My god I am gobsmacked that I was so close to being correct ! my wife is in Milwaukee for a week and so I am only now become aware of the possibility that I might be right in anything i say

I am not kidding when I say her bro lives in the cellar of a church courtesy of the priest and he has married a chica to make her legal. I will be meeting her on friday and i am brushing up my Spanish in advance

No soy cabron ! (I am not a mofo)

moresheep400100.jpg

That was my understanding too. I believe from what I read today that if you had entered illegally then married a US citizen, you have to go home and apply for a waiver from the 10 year ban in order to qualify for a spousal visa.

So i'm thinking the claim being made in numerous news sources regarding the students being path to citizenship criteria may be a political statement to try and gain support for the law. As with the exception of individuals who entered legally and have filed for marriage/other relative/refugee based adjustment, for those who entered illegally there is no path so more likely it's referring to eligibility for future amnesty bills: perhaps by showing no criminal record and english speaking ability.

Nov 6, 2012 N-400 mailed

Feb 11, 2013 Interview

Timeline

That was my understanding too. I believe from what I read today that if you had entered illegally then married a US citizen, you have to go home and apply for a waiver from the 10 year ban in order to qualify for a spousal visa.

So i'm thinking the claim being made in numerous news sources regarding the students being path to citizenship criteria may be a political statement to try and gain support for the law. As with the exception of individuals who entered legally and have filed for marriage/other relative/refugee based adjustment, for those who entered illegally there is no path so more likely it's referring to eligibility for future amnesty bills: perhaps by showing no criminal record and english speaking ability.

Heck that's pretty easy !

All my convictions are under another name and I spik a leedle the inglez if yo no spik a too quickerly

moresheep400100.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline
my wife is in Milwaukee for a week and so I am only now become aware of the possibility that I might be right in anything i say
It's a hoax -- a filthy, rotten hoax. She will set you back upon the rightful and proper path upon her return, si man.

I have been married 3 times and there is nothing gay about it after the first few months.
The most dangerous food is Wedding Cake, si man. And Socrates died from an overdose of wedlock, sigh man...

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Isle of Man
Timeline

They can do as they please they can drive without a drivers license.They come to California on a raft and break all the laws off scott free and a ####### kick back to Mexico.

On a raft? I think you mean Cuba? Cali and the north western part of Mexico (Baja California State) are connected. They just walk over or go through an underground tunnel.

India, gun buyback and steamroll.

qVVjt.jpg?3qVHRo.jpg?1

Filed: Country:
Timeline
I am not kidding when I say her bro lives in the cellar of a church courtesy of the priest and he has married a chica to make her legal. I will be meeting her on friday and i am brushing up my Spanish in advance

He has very little chance of success. If he's living in a church cellar washing dishes for Room & Board then who will be his co-sponsor?

If she entered illegally then she has no status to adjust from so she'll have to return to Mexico for consular processing. She can't just hide her illegal presence in the US because they'll have to show proof of marriage just for the I-130 petition to get approved.

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

On a raft? I think you mean Cuba? Cali and the north western part of Mexico (Baja California State) are connected. They just walk over or go through an underground tunnel.

I watch border wars amazing how many 101 ways they find to cross the other side.