w¡n9Nµ7 §£@¥€r

Democratc Congressman Charles Rangel condemns Chavez - says a personal attack on Bush by a foreign head of state is an attack on all Americans

49 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline
It was ratified and voter approved by over 71 percent of the voters. I don't claim to know all the underpinnings of Venezuelan politics, but whatever you're trying to pin on him pales, PALES in comparison to Bush's desire for increased Presidential powers.

stacked votes. and I'm trying to pin anything on him.... and when did I mention Bush here? I could care less about Bush at the moment as we were talking about Chavez. Thats sidestepping the issue being discussed.

James & Sara - Aug 12, 05

Humanity... destined to pass the baton shortly.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

It was ratified and voter approved by over 71 percent of the voters. I don't claim to know all the underpinnings of Venezuelan politics, but whatever you're trying to pin on him pales, PALES in comparison to Bush's desire for increased Presidential powers.

stacked votes. and I'm trying to pin anything on him.... and when did I mention Bush here? I could care less about Bush at the moment as we were talking about Chavez. Thats sidestepping the issue being discussed.

That's an overwhelmingly high percentage - what percentage are you claiming was stacked? :blink:

Timeline

That's an overwhelmingly high percentage - what percentage are you claiming was stacked? :blink:

from articles I've seen... about 35-42% on his ratification process. upwards of 46-55% stacked votes for re-election.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Venezuela
Timeline

Nobody really knows the statistic here... the sistem is so dirty now that I don't believe those polls... But I believe in people, venezuelan people the poorest ones they're really tired... they don't care about Chavez anymore (in fact they want him out) they really care about what to eat today.

I don't undestand why some of you American people like Chavez when Chavez idolizes Cuba's Fidel Castro, is chummy with Libya's Moammar Khadafy and was a Saddam Hussein pal. He's made nasty remarks about President Bush and "suggestive" public comments about Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
I don't undestand why some of you American people like Chavez when Chavez idolizes Cuba's Fidel Castro, is chummy with Libya's Moammar Khadafy and was a Saddam Hussein pal. He's made nasty remarks about President Bush and "suggestive" public comments about Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice.

cause they suffer from liberalitis. careful, it's contagious! :P

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Timeline
Nobody really knows the statistic here... the sistem is so dirty now that I don't believe those polls... But I believe in people, venezuelan people the poorest ones they're really tired... they don't care about Chavez anymore (in fact they want him out) they really care about what to eat today.

I don't like him personally - I have no idea who he is...personally. I just find it refreshing to see a South American leader who dares to criticize the Bush Administration's foreign policies, and it's peculiar that he gets so much criticism from Americans who question his ethics, while we have a history of supporting South American tyrants and turning a blinding eye to their atrocities. There's a great inconsistency of our ethical standards when we are selective about who we call our ally and who we decide as being bad. I agree with Congressman Rangel that Chavez shouldn't be personally attacking Bush.

For those who say that Chavez is doing a good thing, and for those who have not lived what we (Venezuelans) have been living lately....

Shut up. You just DON'T KNOW what you are talking about.

Go there and live there (not as a tourist, as a resident, so you can talk in first person and not in third); try to get a job, a car, credit, education, your kids' education and criteria, a life...

Then we can talk.

LIFE IS WHAT WE MAKE IT (E. Dickinson)

PREFIERO SER CABEZA DE RATÓN QUE COLA DE LEÓN.

L'HOMME EST CE QU'IL SE FAIT (J.P. Sartre)

ON NE NAÎT PAS FEMME; ON LE DEVIENT (S. De Beauvoir)

ALEA IACTA EST (I. Caesar)

Afortunado aquel

Who understands

Le langage secret

Das estrelas,

Der blumen

Et delle cose mute

Timeline
For those who say that Chavez is doing a good thing, and for those who have not lived what we (Venezuelans) have been living lately....

Shut up. You just DON'T KNOW what you are talking about.

Go there and live there (not as a tourist, as a resident, so you can talk in first person and not in third); try to get a job, a car, credit, education, your kids' education and criteria, a life...

Then we can talk.

Following your logic then, we shouldn't ever talk about any other country unless we've actually lived there? :blink:

Ok.... So I only read the fist page of teh posts but I have to say something since I am from venezuela and witnessed, lived and suffered all of Chavez's presidency. Chavez is not a hero in any way, or for anybody, well actually he coudl be a hero tothose he put in power and are now rich thanks to him... but for teh people he promised he woudl do soemthing for, for the people who voted for him, for the people who put all their faith in him, becasue he seemed like the person that would finally do something for them... well, as many politicians... it was all a lie, I can not deny the fact that he did design some really good social programs and has really good ideas (not all, some of the ideas are stupid) unfortunately none of those great ideas are put to work teh way they were meant to or for teh right reasons, becasue he is not doing teh little things he is doing for his people, he is doing it for him.... anyways... I can go on and on... another thing... he might have been elected in a democratic and legitimate way, but unfortunately he does not act in a democratic way or represents what democracy is, there are many examples i could give you, but to make it easier to picture, imagine that you are sitting watching tv after a stressful day at work, your favorite show comes on, you are getting into it, then all of teh sudden, it stops and the president or someone from teh government appears on tv to tell you all teh great things they are doing for teh country or all the bad things teh imperialists countries are doing against us, you try to change the chanel but you really can't because everysingle chanel and radio station has by obligation to broadcast all of these speeches, that byteh way are not 15 minutes or 30 minutes long, they have even reached the 4 hour mark... now this is a very superficial and small example but it is teh best one I can think of to demonstrate that Venezuela does not live in a true democracy right now... you can't even leave teh country without being questioned by a national guard at the departure gate, where are you going? why? are you going to live there? do you have friends there? are you going to work there? .... I was in Venezuela during the 3 month National Strike, i went to many pacific protests, that unfortunately not thanks to us, turned violent, just becasue millions of us were walking on a street to ask for a referendum we would get tear gas and ruber bullets from teh national guard (note that we had permission to do those protests) and then som fanatic chavista would shoot and actual weapon that had real bullets, not rubber, right by teh side of teh National guard, in some cases some people got killed, in some cases thank God people just got hurt, but the fact is that the Chavez government not only is it not democratic it is promoting violence and classism, we were a united country, we didn't care if teh person sittign next to us was poor or rich, we were all venezuelans, now, he has taught the poor to hate the rich (no need to be fielthy rich, having an old car and a small apartment is enough reason to be hated) and the rest to be afraid of teh poor, crime has more than doubled since he has been in power and one the first things he promised wich was to eliminate all homeless kids becasue he was going to find him homes and create programs for them, not only has not happened, but the amount of homeless kids on the streets has grown exponentially... Now, I think it is gettign complicated and I am getting passionate... I know it is hard for people who don't live there and have not seen the situation from close enough to understand why he is not a good guy and why we think he is crazy and he is defenetly not what South America needs, but I tried my best, teh only thing i can tell to all those who think he is great or want to know the truth is to go to Venezuela, move there, try to make a living, and then make up your own mind. And... about the speech, all I can say that he is showing his true colors, he is lettign teh world know what kind of person he is and how much embarrasment he can cause to teh people in his country... now, for those of you who think I might hate chavez but love Bush or for those who love Chavez becasue he hates Bush... let me tell you something, I dislike both of them with the same passion, maybe Chavez with more passion because he is damaging my country in a terrible way.... and also if you could understand spanish and could really feel what he says when he speaks, you would realize that Chavez and Bush are more alike than you ever imagine... I hope all this makes sense, and for those of you who understand us and why we are so sad, mad, worried, embarrased, etc etc, please pray for us (or whatever you do) so that one day soon we can say goodbye to Chavez and all his friends in power.

Danielle

Timeline
Ok.... So I only read the fist page of teh posts but I have to say something since I am from venezuela and witnessed, lived and suffered all of Chavez's presidency. Chavez is not a hero in any way, or for anybody, well actually he coudl be a hero tothose he put in power and are now rich thanks to him... but for teh people he promised he woudl do soemthing for, for the people who voted for him, for the people who put all their faith in him, becasue he seemed like the person that would finally do something for them... well, as many politicians... it was all a lie, I can not deny the fact that he did design some really good social programs and has really good ideas (not all, some of the ideas are stupid) unfortunately none of those great ideas are put to work teh way they were meant to or for teh right reasons, becasue he is not doing teh little things he is doing for his people, he is doing it for him.... anyways... I can go on and on... another thing... he might have been elected in a democratic and legitimate way, but unfortunately he does not act in a democratic way or represents what democracy is, there are many examples i could give you, but to make it easier to picture, imagine that you are sitting watching tv after a stressful day at work, your favorite show comes on, you are getting into it, then all of teh sudden, it stops and the president or someone from teh government appears on tv to tell you all teh great things they are doing for teh country or all the bad things teh imperialists countries are doing against us, you try to change the chanel but you really can't because everysingle chanel and radio station has by obligation to broadcast all of these speeches, that byteh way are not 15 minutes or 30 minutes long, they have even reached the 4 hour mark... now this is a very superficial and small example but it is teh best one I can think of to demonstrate that Venezuela does not live in a true democracy right now... you can't even leave teh country without being questioned by a national guard at the departure gate, where are you going? why? are you going to live there? do you have friends there? are you going to work there? .... I was in Venezuela during the 3 month National Strike, i went to many pacific protests, that unfortunately not thanks to us, turned violent, just becasue millions of us were walking on a street to ask for a referendum we would get tear gas and ruber bullets from teh national guard (note that we had permission to do those protests) and then som fanatic chavista would shoot and actual weapon that had real bullets, not rubber, right by teh side of teh National guard, in some cases some people got killed, in some cases thank God people just got hurt, but the fact is that the Chavez government not only is it not democratic it is promoting violence and classism, we were a united country, we didn't care if teh person sittign next to us was poor or rich, we were all venezuelans, now, he has taught the poor to hate the rich (no need to be fielthy rich, having an old car and a small apartment is enough reason to be hated) and the rest to be afraid of teh poor, crime has more than doubled since he has been in power and one the first things he promised wich was to eliminate all homeless kids becasue he was going to find him homes and create programs for them, not only has not happened, but the amount of homeless kids on the streets has grown exponentially... Now, I think it is gettign complicated and I am getting passionate... I know it is hard for people who don't live there and have not seen the situation from close enough to understand why he is not a good guy and why we think he is crazy and he is defenetly not what South America needs, but I tried my best, teh only thing i can tell to all those who think he is great or want to know the truth is to go to Venezuela, move there, try to make a living, and then make up your own mind. And... about the speech, all I can say that he is showing his true colors, he is lettign teh world know what kind of person he is and how much embarrasment he can cause to teh people in his country... now, for those of you who think I might hate chavez but love Bush or for those who love Chavez becasue he hates Bush... let me tell you something, I dislike both of them with the same passion, maybe Chavez with more passion because he is damaging my country in a terrible way.... and also if you could understand spanish and could really feel what he says when he speaks, you would realize that Chavez and Bush are more alike than you ever imagine... I hope all this makes sense, and for those of you who understand us and why we are so sad, mad, worried, embarrased, etc etc, please pray for us (or whatever you do) so that one day soon we can say goodbye to Chavez and all his friends in power.

Danielle

Thanks, Danielle. If that is the case, then I hope the will of the people will prevail and they elect someone who better represents them. :yes:

Timeline

Thanks, Danielle. If that is the case, then I hope the will of the people will prevail and they elect someone who better represents them. :yes:

Who are you and what have you done to Steven?

My name is Inigo Montoya, you killed my father, prepare to die.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Venezuela
Timeline

I am also venezuelan, but I will not get into any details. All that has been said by my venezuelan friends is true, AND IT HAS BEEN TRUE FOR SOOO MANY YEARS!!!! puntofijismo governments were also populists and all those combined have destroyed our country. Chavez is more of the same, but worse. Difficult to be optimistic isn't it?

gas is 11 cents a gallon...he is well liked by the poorer citizens

there we go!!!! Gas has ALWAYS been this cheap in Venezuela! it is NOT a Chavez's "idea"...

HAHAHAHA! I love that movie!

Erin (MN - U.S.A.!) and David (Venezuela!)
--------------------
06 Jul 2005 I129F Sent to the NSC
08 Jul 2005 I129F Received by the NSC
15 Sep 2005 NOA2!!!! by Email, NOA2 date 14 Sep 2005!!!!
20 Dic 2005 We both go to the interview at the Consulate!
20 Dic 2005 VISA APPROVED!!!!
31 Dic 2005 Ticket bought online to leave on March 13th!!!!
13 Mar 2006 Arrived at MSP with mi love!
18 Mar 2006 Civil Wedding! we are married!
15 Jul 2006 Church Wedding! at St. Frances Cabrini, Minneapolis, MN.
21 Aug 2006 AOS Interview! APPROVED!!!!! Welcome letter email received.
24 Aug 2006 Welcome Letter received. Card ordered email received.
29 Aug 2006 Email with approval letter (meaning PR Card!) mailed!
01 Sep 2006 PR Card Received!!!!!!! :D :D :D
23 May 2008 Lifting Conditions Sent
30 May 2008 Lifting Conditions NOA date
14 Oct 2008 PR Card Received!!!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D done for a while!!!!

----------

Naturalized and unfortunately divorced :( but life goes on

Timeline
I am also venezuelan, but I will not get into any details. All that has been said by my venezuelan friends is true, AND IT HAS BEEN TRUE FOR SOOO MANY YEARS!!!! puntofijismo governments were also populists and all those combined have destroyed our country. Chavez is more of the same, but worse. Difficult to be optimistic isn't it?
gas is 11 cents a gallon...he is well liked by the poorer citizens

there we go!!!! Gas has ALWAYS been this cheap in Venezuela! it is NOT a Chavez's "idea"...

HAHAHAHA! I love that movie!

Glad somebody's paying attention. One of my all time favorites! :yes:

Timeline
I don't like him personally - I have no idea who he is...personally. I just find it refreshing to see a South American leader who dares to criticize the Bush Administration's foreign policies, and it's peculiar that he gets so much criticism from Americans who question his ethics, while we have a history of supporting South American tyrants and turning a blinding eye to their atrocities. There's a great inconsistency of our ethical standards when we are selective about who we call our ally and who we decide as being bad. I agree with Congressman Rangel that Chavez shouldn't be personally attacking Bush.

I've never voted for the ppl that helped set up those puppet gov'ments during the 50's-80's. to young to vote for them. nor would I have supported such stupid measures. But I try to make my voice heard when poll time comes around.. problem being... votes by the people no longer mean what at one time they used to.