pinkpoka

How much money is needed to support fiance?

34 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

This is my dilemma - I've never had a job paid on the books (always was a nanny and pet sitter). My fiance is the one who supports us. I've never paid taxes before so I don't have that to provide.

My mother said she would support me with the money and deposit what is needed for the interview in my bank account.

Which way do you think is easier, for her to cosign half the money, or for her to put the money in my account?

When we arrive back to the states we will be living with my family (me, fiance, mom, stepdad, 2 brothers).

I am leaning towards putting the money in my account and if they ask any questions of why is there a big lump sum deposited at one time, my response would be my grandfather has passed and this is what he had in his will for me. (although I do not receive this until about 5 more years).

How much money will I need to put up to support the 2 of us?

Also, how do you find this figure out? What government site can I find it on?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Japan
Timeline

http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/i-864p.pdf

There you go. :)

EDIT - I don't know how much money you would need to save, only how much you would need to make.

Edited by kwbaille

Sep 03, 2011 - Mailed I-129F (K-1)

Sep 17, 2011 - NOA1

Mar 09, 2012 - NOA2

Mar 23, 2012 - Packet 3

May 07, 2012 - Interview - Approved

May 21, 2012 - POE

Jun 03, 2012 - Married

Jul 06, 2012 - SSN Received

Aug 28, 2012 - Bio metrics

Timeline

This form is guide lines for how much any one who is sponsoring your fiance should make.

Sep 17, 2011 - NOA1

Mar 09, 2012 - NOA2

Mar 23, 2012 - Packet 3

May 21, 2012 - POE

Jun 03, 2012 - Married

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Sorry but a bank deposit is not going to help you at the interview.

You need to prove current income above 18k or you have to have a co-sponsor.

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Your I-129f was approved in 5 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 67 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

AOS was approved in 2 months and 8 days without interview.

ROC was approved in 3 months and 2 days without interview.

I am a Citizen of the United States of America. 04/16/13

It does sound like you will need a co-sponsor. Since it seems like your mom is willing to help you out, maybe she would be willing to sign the an I-134 and provide the supporting documentation for it (employment letter, pay stubs and tax return) so you can file it along with the one you fill out. Here's a link for the poverty guidelines, find what the guidelines are for two people (if you don't have any children). You'd need to be at 125% of that figure to sponsor him.

Edited by lyndarx

Our Journey begins

Met online in March 2009. Started dating through Skype in September 2009. Met in person on 03/14/2010. After many visits, both ways, Nate proposes to Liz on 8/10/2010.

Our K-1 Journey
K1 Visa processed at Vermont, approved in 106 days. Approved at CDJ on 19/09/2011
Our AOS Journey from K

Applied for AOS on 12/27/2011

-AP/EAD combo card processed at Vermont, approved in 86 days. Approved on 3/22/2012; Card Received 3/30/2012

-GC processed at Vermont, approved in 268 days. Approved on 9/20/2012; Card Received on 9/26/2012
Our RoC Journey

08/30/2014: Sent package to Lockbox

09/02/2014: Package Received in Chicago

09/05/2014: Received NOA1 (Extension letter for 1 year)

11/30/2014: Called USCIS, Biometrics appointment not received yet. Appointment letter never delivered to correct address.

12/05/2014: Finally receive Biometrics appointment letter in the mail.

12/30/2014: Biometrics taken in El Paso, Texas ASC

05/08/2015: Approval notice received by email and text

05/10/2015: Approval notice received by mail

05/15/2015: GC in hand

-RoC processed at Vermont, approved in 248 days

Our Citizenship Journey

06/20/2015: Will be able to early file N-400

Timeline

Okay so sponsor's household size (would be my mom if needed) currently has 4 people (I am there 1/5 or so the year) so when we arrive it will be +2 so does that mean at time of filing the form it would be 6 people or just 4 or 5?

Does the co-sponsor technical has a job but hasn't been working (injured in car accident and then at work), waiting on settlement from work, would this effect anything about them signing?

Timeline

If I have over 18K (around 50K) in bank account or savings account, it still doesn't matter since I don't have a job and I will NEED a cosponsor? What about savings from fiance's account and his bank account info? Does this count as anything at all, since he is the one who supports up here in Mexico.

Timeline

Savings doesn't mean that much. You're safer with a co-sponsor.

Sep 17, 2011 - NOA1

Mar 09, 2012 - NOA2

Mar 23, 2012 - Packet 3

May 21, 2012 - POE

Jun 03, 2012 - Married

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Costa Rica
Timeline

First of all - no job means you need to show 3x of 125% of the published poverty guidelines for whatever size your household is. So - if it's just you and your fiance you'd need to show 3 x $18,000 (or about $54,000) in the bank.

So - let's talk about the negative things here. You seem inclined to want to lie to (or at least mislead)USCIS. First you discuss your mom depositing money into an account for you - this won't work because the Embassy will ask you for a money trail to substantiate the deposits into your account - so $54,000 can't just magically appear there and make everything ok.

Next, you discus telling the government the funds came from a deceased grandfather? Can you produce a will or a copy of the estate to show you "inherited" over $50,000? Then, you'll be asked at the interview why if your grandfather died 5 years ago the money just suddenly appeared in an account now... Do you know that lying on ANY immigration based form is material misrepresentation which will automatically cause your petition or visa to be denied?

The best advice anyone can give you is to get a job (or 2 if you need) to show 125% of the poverty level in annual income.

You may not realize it now, but you will have plenty more to prove to the US Government even if you accomplished a K-1 visa. You'll need to prove income AGAIN when it's time for your wife to adjust her status and if you can't - guess what? She doesn't get to stay here. Don't try to take short cuts here. Your decisions will affect not just your life, but your fiance's and others.

K-1 JOURNEY

157 DAYS FROM NOA-1 TO NOA-2

181 DAYS FROM NOA-1 TO INTERVIEW

07/14/2011 - I-129F sent via FedEx to USCIS
07/15/2011 - Arrived at CSC, signed for by E. Jameson
07/15/2011 - NOA-1 (E-Mail)
07/19/2011 - NOA-1 (Hard Copy)
08/01/2011 - Touched
12/19/2011 - Touched
12/19/2011 - NOA-2 (E-Mail)
12/22/2011 - X-Ray
12/22/2011 - Lab Work
12/23/2011 - NOA-2 (Hard Copy)
12/27/2011 - NVC Received
12/28/2011 - San Jose Embassy Case Number Assigned
12/29/2011 - NVC Sent Petition via DHL to Embassy
12/30/2011 - Embassy Received Petition, signed for by J. Rodriguez
01/04/2011 - Medical
01/09/2011 - Packet 3 Received
01/12/2011 - Embassy Interview - Approved
01/19/2011 - Visa Received
01/21/2012 - POE (Ft. Lauderdale, FL - USA)
01/23/2012 - SSA Issued Fresy's SSN
02/18/2012 - Wedding

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

Life is not measured by the breaths you take. Rather, life is measured by the moments that take your breath away!

Timeline

When it comes time for my husband to adjust his status in the US, I will more than likely have a job, its just that I've never needed to because he supports us. I am living in Mexico with him and this is also another reason why I am not employed. There is a will from my recently passed grandfather however I can not receive the money for another 5 years. The reason why my mother will lend me the money is so that way all the burden will be on me if for some reason I need to provide money for my fiance if something happends, it would be just an advance on my grandfathers will.

I could provide a trail from the money, but I dont see how it would be a big deal.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

When it comes time for my husband to adjust his status in the US, I will more than likely have a job, its just that I've never needed to because he supports us. I am living in Mexico with him and this is also another reason why I am not employed. There is a will from my recently passed grandfather however I can not receive the money for another 5 years. The reason why my mother will lend me the money is so that way all the burden will be on me if for some reason I need to provide money for my fiance if something happends, it would be just an advance on my grandfathers will.

I could provide a trail from the money, but I dont see how it would be a big deal.

It is a BIG deal to Immigration where the money comes from. Like other posters have said money can't magical appear in your bank account. Either get a job and earn the money or get a co sponsor. You need to stop taking short cuts and trying to lie to ICE or the embassy or it will come back to haunt you later. Plus you need to establish a US residency before you could even file for a visa for your husband.

Edited by tan&tuyet

Have several questions, items that I think will help other people to provide best advice.

You say you are living in Mexico, first question: You are a US citizen, right?

Second, if you all are in Mexico, K-1 is perhaps not the best route. I'd think CR1, which requires you marry in Mexico. Time wise is similar to K-1, with the plus that is an automatic GC once done; that way, if and when you move to the US, husband can be eligible for work immediately.

As other posters say, money in the bank suddenly appearing is not something that will help much. The government here is looking for some evidence that he will not become a burden, a job (the USC having a job in the US) is the most common way to do that. I'm not sure exactly how your case is as it seems you have been in Mexico for some time. Having or not a job in Mexico can be (and not necessarily 100% of cases) irrelevant when your intent is to move to the US; hence the CR1 route which would have spouse able to work since day 1. Will from grandfather is great, but as you know, cost of living in the US can wipe that out very fast; and then what?

Overall, it seems you would need a co-sponsor, and you might want to check form i-864 which is really the one that counts, and based on that; determine if a co-sponsor is needed. The I-134 is not an indication of what you would need to proof.

As other posters have said, don't try to bend things, it can come back to you. And also as they said, is not a financial snapshot what USCIS is looking for, but evidence of continuous and steady income which reflects in bank accounts being kept over time in a growing state, as well as a job to sustain that flow coming in.

Good luck

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.