TeapotGirl

Unsure plans while on K-1 Process

41 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

All LPRs have travel restrictions. There is no extra restrictions on 2-year GC holders v. 10-year GC holders. The main restriction for both is that they have to reside in the US, so generally they cannot takes trips outside of the US for a year at a time. People with a conditional GC can travel internationally.

She cannot work as soon as she gets her Social Security number; rather, she will also need her EAD to work. A SSN by itself does not give the right to work. In fact, the SS Card she gets will say "not valid without DHS work authorization."

The GC takes about 4 months to process.

There is a lot of misinformation in this thread overall.

That's very helpful. I didn't know that there's still 2yr and 10yr GC thing. I thought if you have GC, that's good for life! Thank you. Input like this will make me decide better because I get the overall picture.

Happy New Year!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

My fiance can't stand waiting for my visa to be released. He's mailing the application this week everything looks okay, still just finishing things up.

He wants to spend Christmas and even months here in the Philippines until I get my fiancee visa, would that be okay? Does he need to be physically in the US to anticipate any mail or notification from USCIS?

We are planning to get married in San Francisco, CA, because I have relatives there that could help us get married, (my grandfather and uncle can lead the ceremony, he lives in Cleveland, OH), should we anticipate extra paperwork or a little problem if his residence and the wedding venue are on different States?

I still don't know If I will like it in the OH after marriage. I cannot work for 2 years and that's extremely boring for me. OH is very cold and I can't handle coldness and boredom at the same time. Can I move back to the Philippines after marriage and still waiting for adjustment of status?

Also note that K1 Visa holder can work BASED on your K1 Status!!! You will NOT be required to show an EAD. All this info is on this site! Good luck to you.

Also note that K1 Visa holder can work BASED on your K1 Status!!! You will NOT be required to show an EAD. All this info is on this site! Good luck to you.

This is incorrect. K-1 is NOT authorized to work. A K-1 needs an EAD to work.

Regarding a post a few up, the AOS fee is $1070, and EAD and AP are free if filed along with it.

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Joandjo - this is incorrect! You CANNOT work on a K1. One must have filed AOS and received either EAD or green card to work. Harpa's previous post explains this very clearly.

Don't wait to get any false hopes up of working straight away (though it would be nice...!)

K1 Journey
11/2006...... met for the first time on a night out in London!
11/25/07..... I moved to the UK on a work visa to be with him 🙂
02/27/09..... he proposed!
08/30/10..... sent I-129F
09/02/10..... NOA1
01/27/11..... NOA2 (147 DAYS from NOA1)
03/22/11..... INTERVIEW! (201 DAYS from NOA1) - APPROVED! --> Read the review here!
03/25/11..... visa received!!!
06/09/11..... POE LAX!! --> Read the review here!

AOS Journey
07/22/11.... SSN received
08/27/11.... our wonderful wedding!!
09/23/11.... sent AOS package
09/25/11.... AOS package delivered in Chicago (7:33 p.m.)
10/10/11.... AP rejection letter, refiled 10/17
10/11/11.... NOA1 received via text & email (AOS + EAD only)
10/15/11.... hard copies of NOA1 for AOS + EAD received (dated 10/7)
10/17/11.... refiled AP
10/18/11.... successful biometrics walk-in, Santa Ana, CA (appt for 11/1)
10/20/11.... NOA1 for AP
12/12/11.... call in to USCIS. Told to call back after 12/26.
12/23/11.... I-765 approved

02/1/12...... Interview
02/02/12.... Approved!
02/10/12.... Hubby's GC in hand!

ROC Journey

12/09/13.... sent I-751 to CSC

12/10/13.... package delivered / NOA1

12/12/13.... cheque cashed

01/06/14.... biometrics

04/18/14.... approval letter dated (received 4/22)

Naturalization Journey

09/29/22.... filed N-400 online

09/30/22... NOA/biometrics reuse

01/23/23... interview scheduled for 02/28 

02/28/23... successful interview + oath ceremony in Santa Ana, CA! so proud! certificate of naturalization received! --> Read the review here!

This is misleading. Yes, you can work if you file your I-765 as soon as you land in the US and receive the EAD. However, it is not worth paying $380 for an EAD that is only good until your I-94 expiration date (90-days from your POE). You can file for AOS ASAP and send in the I-765 (EAD) and I-131 (Advance Parole) with the I-485 and the fee for the EAD & AP is waived.

Edited by dindo and patty

Philippians 4:13...I can do all things through Christ who strengthens meGC Received: 02/04/2012

Useful Links for K-1 Visa Petition for USEM Philippines:

Packet 3 for K-1: http://photos.state....3__rtf2_001.pdf

St Luke's Website: http://www.slec.ph/u...ml#clinic-hours

Link to Schedule Interview: http://cgifederal.force.com/

CFO Website for Seminar: http://www.cfo.gov.p...onals&catid=140

Povery Guideline: http://www.uscis.gov...form/i-864p.pdf

Website to Download DS 156, 156K, & 157: http://travel.state....forms_1342.html

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Venezuela
Timeline

now i am getting confused :unsure:

K101/17/2012.....I-129F ..... sent to Dallas, Texas

01/25/2012.....NOA1 (text & email) ..... sent to Vermont Service Center

01/28/2012.....NOA1 Hard Copy in Mail

07/31/2012.....NOA2.. 188 days update@USCIS

08/03/2012.....NOA2.. Hard Copy

09/04/2012.....Sent Email to Caracas Embassy for Interview date.. they had not contacted her

09/05/2012.....Embassy response.. with interview date!!

10/17/2012.....INTERVIEW @Caracas Embassy!

10/17/2012.....INTERVIEW @Caracas Embassy... APPROVED!!

12/31/2012.....POE.. Miami, arrived to AUSTIN next day smile.png

02/16/2013.....Married!!

AOS - K1

05/06/2013.....I-465 & I-765 sent USPS priority mail

05/14/2013......Email, Text of Receiving package on 5/11

05/16/2013......Hard Copy of NOA1 received: I-465 and _I-765 Application for employment

05/20/2013...... Bio-metric hard-copy.
05/29/2013...... Biometric scheduled. . Austin office

07/15/2013...... EAD card arrived in mail today smile.png

10/20/2013...... Green Card approved! NOA hardcopy received!

10/31/2013...... Green Card Delivered!!

ROC-I-751
07/21/15 90 day Window Opens

07/24/15 I-751 Mailed to Cali. Service Center
09/03/15 Biometeric scheduled and completed

01/26/16 ROC Letter arrived
01/30/16 10 yr Green Card arrived

Timeline

This is incorrect. K-1 is NOT authorized to work. A K-1 needs an EAD to work.

Regarding a post a few up, the AOS fee is $1070, and EAD and AP are free if filed along with it.

RM 10211.530 List of Documents Establishing Lawful Alien Status for an SSN Card

K1 Visa, when applying for a SSAN will check the box, Legal Alien Allowed to work, K2 is Not allowed.

https://secure.ssa.gov/apps10/poms.nsf/lnx/0110211530

Timeline

This is misleading. Yes, you can work if you file your I-765 as soon as you land in the US and receive the EAD. However, it is not worth paying $380 for an EAD that is only good until your I-94 expiration date (90-days from your POE). You can file for AOS ASAP and send in the I-765 (EAD) and I-131 (Advance Parole) with the I-485 and the fee for the EAD & AP is waived.

This Information is correct. And for a K1 Visa the SSAN Application you can check the Box Legal Alien Allowed to work. There is a statement on the Visa Journey website that is incorrect. Tha may be causing the confusion.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

This Information is correct. And for a K1 Visa the SSAN Application you can check the Box Legal Alien Allowed to work. There is a statement on the Visa Journey website that is incorrect. Tha may be causing the confusion.

WRONG. Quit spreading incorrect information. Yes, you do check that box on the application HOWEVER, when you recieve your SSN card in the mail, it is clearly stamped in red with something to the effect of "DHS AUTHORIZATION REQUIRED FOR WORK". What does that mean? It means EAD or Greencard. Once you have EAD and/or the greencard you can go back to the SSN office, and get that restriction lifted.

I just did this for my fiancee several months ago, I know the process, it hasn't changed.

----------------------

AOS Cost $1070 to file. You can file EAD and AP for free with it. Total cost for Greencard app., EAD and AP when filed for AOS, $1070. Takes about 4 months for the greencard and 2-3 for EAD/AP.

Edited by Blob18

RM 10211.530 List of Documents Establishing Lawful Alien Status for an SSN Card

K1 Visa, when applying for a SSAN will check the box, Legal Alien Allowed to work, K2 is Not allowed.

SSA does not give out work authorization. It is confusing that in order to process the SSN, the SS has to push the button for "allowed to work" when they are not actually allowed to work (yet). They are allowed to apply to get work authorization.

This has been discussed ad nauseum on this website.

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.