bergdorfblonde

Do I have to be in US while applying??

15 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

Ok so this is my first post here .. I'm totally confused with all this Visa stuff.. I am currently in Germany for a few months with my boyfriend.. actually I am planning on staying until his visa goes through. Is that allowed or am I supposed to be waiting for him in the States? I just read something that said after receiving NOA2 to send documents to fiance per mail for them to bring to the embassy. That definitely implies we shouldn't be in the same country or whatever.... Is that true??? :help:

"It's okay to let yourself go, as long as you can get yourself back." - Mick Jagger

My K-1 Visa Timeline

K-1 Visa

Event Date

Service Center : Vermont Service Center

Consulate : Berlin, Germany

I-129F Sent : 2006-06-26

I-129F NOA1 : 2006-07-11

I-129F RFE(s) :

RFE Reply(s) :

I-129F NOA2 : 2006-09-19

NVC Received : 2006-09-26

NVC Left :

Consulate Received :

Packet 3 Received : 2006-10-26

Packet 3 Sent : 2006-12-08

Packet 4 Received : 2007-01-11

Interview Date : 2007-02-08

Visa Received : 2007-02-13

US Entry : 2007-02-15

Marriage : 2007-03-12

Comments :

Processing

Estimates/Stats : Your I-129f was approved in 85 days.

Your interview took 227 days from filing.

Point of Entry Review

Event Date

Point of Entry : Newark

POE Date : 2007-02-15

Got EAD Stamp : Yes,Passport Stamp

Biometrics Taken : Yes

Harassment Level : 0

You may be better off doing a DCF.

2005/07/10 I-129F filed for Pras

2005/11/07 I-129F approved, forwarded to NVC--to Chennai Consulate 2005/11/14

2005/12/02 Packet-3 received from Chennai

2005/12/21 Visa Interview Date

2006/04/04 Pras' entry into US at DTW

2006/04/15 Church Wedding at Novi (Detroit suburb), MI

2006/05/01 AOS Packet (I-485/I-131/I-765) filed at Chicago

2006/08/23 AP and EAD approved. Two down, 1.5 to go

2006/10/13 Pras' I-485 interview--APPROVED!

2006/10/27 Pras' conditional GC arrives -- .5 to go (2 yrs to Conditions Removal)

2008/07/21 I-751 (conditions removal) filed

2008/08/22 I-751 biometrics completed

2009/06/18 I-751 approved

2009/07/03 10-year GC received; last 0.5 done!

2009/07/23 Pras files N-400

2009/11/16 My 46TH birthday, Pras N-400 approved

2010/03/18 Pras' swear-in

---------------------------------------------------------------------

As long as the LORD's beside me, I don't care if this road ever ends.

Timeline

what's a DCF?..

"It's okay to let yourself go, as long as you can get yourself back." - Mick Jagger

My K-1 Visa Timeline

K-1 Visa

Event Date

I-129F RFE(s) :

RFE Reply(s) :

NVC Left :

Consulate Received :

Comments :

Processing

Point of Entry Review

Event Date

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline
what's a DCF?..

Direct Consular Filing. Check the guides: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...mp;page=compare

To apply for a K-1, you have to be a USC domiciled in the U.S., even if you're not residing there for the moment. Also, you need to supply them with a mailing address in the U.S. - your parents' house, for example.

I only offer advice - not even legal. Just the plain and simple kind.

Timeline (incompleta)

Timeline

what's a DCF?..

Direct Consular Filing. Check the guides: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...mp;page=compare

To apply for a K-1, you have to be a USC domiciled in the U.S., even if you're not residing there for the moment. Also, you need to supply them with a mailing address in the U.S. - your parents' house, for example.

Okay sorry to be really annoying with all the questions but, I just read up on the DCF and I don't understand.. typically it only takes 3 months!? why doesn't everyone do that instead of the K-1 then? I would definitely want to do that but I already started the process of my K1, I've recieved NOA1. Now that I've read this about the DCF I don't know why I didn't do that from the beginning.. It seems a hell of a lot easier..

My K-1 Visa Timeline

K-1 Visa

Event Date

I-129F RFE(s) :

RFE Reply(s) :

NVC Left :

Consulate Received :

Comments :

Processing

Point of Entry Review

Event Date

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline
Ok so this is my first post here .. I'm totally confused with all this Visa stuff.. I am currently in Germany for a few months with my boyfriend.. actually I am planning on staying until his visa goes through. Is that allowed or am I supposed to be waiting for him in the States? I just read something that said after receiving NOA2 to send documents to fiance per mail for them to bring to the embassy. That definitely implies we shouldn't be in the same country or whatever.... Is that true??? :help:

You can send the documents from Germany - that's not a problem. But you do need a US address for the hard copies of the NOAs (receipts) or RFEs (requests for evidence) to be sent to you. There is no rule that you cannot be there with him - just that you have a permanent address in the US. But you also need several other documents for the interview (from your bank, for example) that I assume would be hard for you to get while you are out of the country.

You should also consider Direct Consular Filing if you have not sent the I-129F yet and should keep in mind that the I-129F will most likely NOT be processed in only a few months - could take up to 6.

Good luck.

Timeline

what's a DCF?..

Okay sorry to be really annoying with all the questions but, I just read up on the DCF and I don't understand.. typically it only takes 3 months!? why doesn't everyone do that instead of the K-1 then? I would definitely want to do that but I already started the process of my K1, I've recieved NOA1. Now that I've read this about the DCF I don't know why I didn't do that from the beginning.. It seems a hell of a lot easier..

Because many embassies require that the USC is a permanent resident in the foreign country through which the case will be processed - not many people can meet that requirement.

Timeline (incompleta)

Timeline

Ok so I'm pretty sure I can't do DCF as I am just visiting Germany, I have no residence here I was just planning on staying the 90 days and then returning to the states... I thought everything was a lot quicker and I would be able to be here with my boyfriend and do all the documents and have my dad send me everything that is sent to my home in the states, wait for my boyfriends interview and doctor appt. and then I thought everything would be all set and we could return to the States together. Obviously I underestimated what a long process this may be.

On another note, how do I get my timeline to show up when I post in a forum or is it just that I can't see it, only other users can?

My K-1 Visa Timeline

K-1 Visa

Event Date

I-129F RFE(s) :

RFE Reply(s) :

NVC Left :

Consulate Received :

Comments :

Processing

Point of Entry Review

Event Date

Timeline
Ok so I'm pretty sure I can't do DCF as I am just visiting Germany, I have no residence here I was just planning on staying the 90 days and then returning to the states... I thought everything was a lot quicker and I would be able to be here with my boyfriend and do all the documents and have my dad send me everything that is sent to my home in the states, wait for my boyfriends interview and doctor appt. and then I thought everything would be all set and we could return to the States together. Obviously I underestimated what a long process this may be.

On another note, how do I get my timeline to show up when I post in a forum or is it just that I can't see it, only other users can?

You may want to check some timelines: http://www.visajourney.com/timeline/k1list...;op4=1&op5=

To show the timeline on the signature, go to "My assistant" >> "Edit Forums signature" >> type the data and format it as you wish.

Timeline (incompleta)

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
. That definitely implies we shouldn't be in the same country or whatever.... Is that true??? :help:

No.

:)

Now That You Are A Permanent Resident

How Do I Remove The Conditions On Permanent Residence Based On Marriage?

Welcome to the United States: A Guide For New Immigrants

Yes, even this last one.. stuff in there that not even your USC knows.....

Here are more links that I love:

Arriving in America, The POE Drill

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

alt.visa.us.marriage-based http://britishexpats.com/ and www.***removed***.com

censored link = *family based immigration* website

Inertia. Is that the Greek god of 'can't be bothered'?

Met, married, immigrated, naturalized.

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

No Deje Piedras Sobre El Pavimento!

• 2 years later...

Hi guys:

I am new on here and have read this site at length. I have checked to see if there are any existing threads relating to this issues but have not been able to find much. I am sorry if this has been asked before and my search functions are not the best.

Here is my scenario. I am currently in UK studying and plan to be here for a while. We are unsure of when to start the process because I cannot maintain an address in my country. Would it be possible to take care of the processing with me being in a country(UK) aside of my country of origin? I understand I may need to eventually go back but I am trying to minimize the amount of breaks I have in school and the cost of travel.

I apologize again if this has been asked before. Thanks for you time.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

what's a DCF?..

You can be staying in his country for a K-1, you need to have a permanent US address. OK, no problem so far. You also need to provide and affadavit of support, and I presume while staying in Germany you are not working (I could be wrong, but I doubt it) so how will you show income for the I-134? You could have a co-sponsor and take care of that. Of course if you are there, you do not need to mail anything.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

what's a DCF?..

Cause most people meet someone from another country , and when they do decide too meet they fall in love . And there is nothing in the world they will not do for the person they love . The only thing they want is to be together the rest of their lives , most people leave that country , when the visit ther sunificant other . Then when they return to the USA , everything is different without the person in their life . So they have no other choice but to file the petition in USCIS , while the USC is dominiciled in the USA . And other go into the other country and get married and its their decision , and it turns out to be the same thing as i said above . They cannot live without the other person in their life , so they file to bring that person to the usa .

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

I am the USC, I was living in Russia when we filed the K-1 in Feb '05. I returned to the US in 08/05 while the petition was in name check and my husband had his interview in 12/05. I can't exactly remember why we did it this way (me coming back to the US when I did), but I wanted to have addresses and residency firmly established in USA while this process was going on. It all worked out fine.

PS. Yes, this site helped us a lot!

PPS. I used my Russia address on the K-1. I remember that much.

Edited by chili74

February 3, 2005. Applied for K-1.

July 14, 2005. Email to NVC congressional unit

Nov 2, 2005. Letter to congressman

Nov 8, 2005. Letter from congressman

December 19, 2005. Visa interview in Moscow. (250 days at NVC)

January 27, 2006. POE: JFK.

April 8, 2006. Wedding in USA.

April 19, 2006. Apply for AOS.

July 12, 2006. AOS Interview.

February 26, 2008. Letter to congresswoman.

March 19, 2008. Conditional Permanent residence began!!

2009: Wake up and get on the uscis train again - lifting conditions

Dec 21, 2009. Eligible to apply to remove conditions

February 2010: 10-yr Green Card Received

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

Can't do DCF for K visas. Must be married and file for CR-1/IR-1 in order to do DCF.

Consulate : Bangkok, Thailand

Marriage : 2006-11-08

I-130 Sent : 2008-02-22

I-130 NOA1 : 2008-03-10

I-129F Sent : 2008-04-08

I-129F NOA1 : 2008-04-14

I-129F touched: 2008-05-06

I-130 touched: 2008-05-09

I-129F approved 2008-09-05

I-130 approved 2008-09-05

NVC received 2008-09-12

Pay I-864 2008-10-08

Pay IV bill 2008-10-08

Receive Instruction 2008-11-05

Case Complete 2008-11-18

Medical 2009-01-19/20 passed

Receive Pkt 4 2009-01-30

Interview 221g 2009-02-23

Second interview 2009-03-02 Approved

POE DFW 2009-03-07

Received SS card 2009-03-17

Received GC 2009-04-01

Done for 3 years or 10 years. Haven't decided yet.

(I'm going for the IR-1 and blowing off the K-3. Even if it takes an extra couple months, it's worth it to not have to deal with USCIS again)

"Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, the wretched refuse of your teeming shore. Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me, I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

Note:

Please fill out I-130, wait 6 months for approval, then 3 more months for an interview. (Unless of course we've bombed your country into the stone age, then you qualify for expedited processing.)

Welcome to the USA!!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.