10 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Peru
Timeline

I know in the FAQ it suggests using both; however, as we only use one surname in the United States and the "father" of my step-daughter abandoned her, understandably my wife was asking if she on the AOS forms if we can only use the maternal apellido, especially as strictly speaking it IS the last name. Thanks

-------------------------------

Met - January 2010
Engaged - 24 November 2010
Sent I-129F to Lewisville Lockbox - 7 December 2010
I-129F Received - 8 December 2010
NOA1 - 9 December 2010
Check Cashed - 10 December 2010
Touch - 13 December 2010
Touch - 31 December 2010
Touch - 3 May 2011
NOA 2 - 3 May 2011
NVC Received Petition - 11 May 2011
NVC Sent Petition to Lima - 13 May 2011
Packet 4 Received - 11 June 2011
Medical Exam - 30 June 2011
Interview - 5 July 2011
POE Ft Lauderdale - 24 July 2011

Legal Marriage - 5 August 2011

Filed AOS - 17 October 2011
I-485 Received - 18 October 2011
NOA Received - 31 October 2011
Check Cashed - 1 November 2011
Biometrics - 23 November 2011
NOA 2 Received - 4 January 2012
Interview Scheduled - 7 February 2012

Green Card Received 28 March 2012

Sent I-751 to VSC - 19 February 2014

I - 751 Received 21 February 2014

Biometrics 16 September 2013 - Were done already for I-90 for stolen Green Card.

Cash Checked 27 February 2014

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

I know in the FAQ it suggests using both; however, as we only use one surname in the United States and the "father" of my step-daughter abandoned her, understandably my wife was asking if she on the AOS forms if we can only use the maternal apellido, especially as strictly speaking it IS the last name. Thanks

Your question is confusing to me. Are you asking whether you can change the step-daughters last name? Or the mothers? You cannot change the child's name due to your marriage to her mother. Your state laws will explain how to go about a legal name change for the step-daughter. USCIS requires proof of the "trail" of the name change. As the step-daughter presently has no documentation to explain the name change then she can't change it. Like I said, look into the state name change laws. You could get get first GC under her current legal name, then go through the name change process for her and then come ROC change then ame then OR wait for naturalisation (if they're going there) when a name change is possible (but seeing its the child I'm not sure whether you need her fathers permission to change her name).

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Cuba
Timeline

My Cuban wife's full name is Vilma Ferrer Garcia. After we were married, she never wanted to add my last (paternal) name and she is now just Vilma Ferrer (maternal surname dropped out, paternal surname is now the last name). It's exactly that way because it will create a lot less confusion going from Latin to Anglo culture. Her SS card, drivers license, work permit, insurance, ect. all use the shorted version. If you continue to use maternal surnames, it will cause confusion because in Anglo culture, paternal surnames are always last. It works fine for us.

Actually, I think you legally could use any name you want as long as you will be consistent about it.

Texas Service Center

I-129F Sent : 2005-10-02

I-129F NOA1: 2005-10-06

I-129F RFE(s): 2006-01-03

RFE Reply(s) : 2006-03-06

I-129F NOA2 : 2006-03-21

NVC Received :

NVC Left : 2006-08-02

Consulate Received : 2006-08-12

Packet 3 Received : 2006-08-31

Packet 3 Sent :

Packet 4 Received :

Interview Date : 2007-05-23

Visa Received : 2009-11-15

US Entry : 2010-04-20

Marriage : 2010-05-10

Comments : USINT requested her CV at interview, additional delay.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Peru
Timeline

My Cuban wife's full name is Vilma Ferrer Garcia. After we were married, she never wanted to add my last (paternal) name and she is now just Vilma Ferrer (maternal surname dropped out, paternal surname is now the last name). It's exactly that way because it will create a lot less confusion going from Latin to Anglo culture. Her SS card, drivers license, work permit, insurance, ect. all use the shorted version. If you continue to use maternal surnames, it will cause confusion because in Anglo culture, paternal surnames are always last. It works fine for us.

Actually, I think you legally could use any name you want as long as you will be consistent about it.

My husband dropped his maternal last name since it sometimes causes confusion in the U.S. as to which is the dominant and used last name. On the AOS forms, we put his first name, middle name and paternal last name and then whenever the forms asked for "Other Names Used" we put his entire name with both his maternal and paternal last names.

I would think that if you decided to drop the paternal last name and go with the maternal last name instead it wouldn't be a problem as long as you put both last names under all other names used. This is only my reasoning so maybe wait and see if anyone else has some input :star:

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Peru
Timeline

I don't have any idea what to suggest, as we always assumed we needed to keep both the paternal and maternal last names and did (my husband uses just the paternal for his daily life, CV, etc., but both for paperwork). OP, can you keep us updated on how this goes for you? I'm sure a lot of people would be interested to know if there are hard and fast rules about adhering to the birth certificate, passport, etc. That said, I think the name on the visa and the passport need to match, no?

Interesting issue! Please let us know.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Peru
Timeline

Tried to edit to add another thought I had, but it was too late: I see you're AOSing, so the passport is a moot point.

However, if you and your wife don't have a problem with her formal name on IDs being one thing and her name used for everything else another, it shouldn't be a big problem in her future. I have a strange first and last name and it gets mis-spelled when signing up for phone service and the like. Hence, on my background checks I just have an alias section they include. It's obvious they aren't criminal aliases and no one has ever made a fuss about it.

I can imagine how you feel about the paternal apellido just being forgotten altogether. Might be best resolved after the AOS? I wish someone would write a comprehensive guide to changing your name in the middle of immigration matters, since it's so expensive to have to replace a resident card. Even when dealing with Social Security, conflicting reports come back about what should be done.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

There is NO problem with the wife changing her name. She can drop both or one of her maiden surnames, she can even change her middle name, but not her first. To do so she simply write the name she wants on her AOS papers. As long as the name is some combination of her first name and either her maiden names or her husbands surname there will be no issue.

if the OP is planning on trying to change the step-daughters however, that's a different issue.

Edited by Vanessa&Tony

Timeline

Thanks for the help and especially from Alianza. To the confusion I caused, we're NOT trying to get her to take my surname. IF anything, we were advised by a lawyer (adoption) that although it's tempting, it doesn't look good to some judges, so just wait for adopting her and then she can take my surname. Rather, dropping the paternal surname, and I think that's exactly what we'll do, since strictly speaking the maternal name IS the Last name. In addition, it's already on her insurance cards, and the documents we've used here. That said, I'll let you know what happens, and hopefully there won't be any RFE.

Thanks!

Met - January 2010
NOA1 - 9 December 2010
Touch - 13 December 2010
Touch - 31 December 2010
Touch - 3 May 2011
NOA 2 - 3 May 2011
Interview - 5 July 2011

Biometrics 16 September 2013 - Were done already for I-90 for stolen Green Card.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Peru
Timeline

Here is my take on the name situation.

I work in a major city's ER. A patient comes in and her granddaughter fills out the paperwork for her. What is written is (for example) Maria Cortez Sanchez. So, the doctor asks, "What is your name" and gets "Maria Cortez". There are 22 Maria's in the ER so that name is zero help. The space for the name on the computer screen/paper may or may not have enough space for both last names. The doctor may be looking for Ms Sanchez. Nope, it's not this one so he excuses himself and wastes time trying to locate his patient. He gets called to a trauma, as he is rushing that way, he sees me and asks me to please do a quick exam on the patient in room 6--because she needs it but he doesn't use her name because he can't figure out for sure who she is. I go and look and ask her name. Again, she does not make sure her information matches and I refuse to do the exam until the patient can get her story straight. The number of people who are here illegally and can't remember the name they are using certainly does not help one bit, either.

An additional issue is the option of the typist. It can be:

Maria Cortez Sanchez (First middle Last) as is the custom in THIS country.

Maria Cortez-Sanchez (as the names is the custom when using both names in this country)

Maria Cortezsanchez (this is the easiest for us most of the time and the one that we are using--I just wish it would be short like this one, though.)

Maria Cortez

Maria Sanchez

Maria Nanci + all of the above options.

It only make it more fun in that every piece of software for each individual computer program has it's own way of displaying the name. (We have one that automatically assigns a string of numbers for a comma. Try deciphering a name with 50 digits mixed in it.)

The moral of the story, PICK ONLY ONE NAME, DANGIT! USE THAT ALWAYS. This way, when half your brain is hanging out after an accident, you can keep your story straight.

BTW--It seems that if Social Security gets any information wrong, that is simply the way it is and you need to learn that. This seems to not be uncommon for birthdays. Don't bother telling or writing down the real one, just switch to the one on record and live with it. This way, there is less of a chance of a delay in your care in the ER where it really matters. (And less delays on every bit of paperwork forever when it is consistent.)

Okay, okay--enough ranting from me. But here is one more thing that I simply don't get:

My other half wants to retain both his last names AND use mine, too. I told him firmly NO. Not gonna happen. Your name is not a trophy, it is a practical thing for identification...not bragging rights. I have spent countless hours uselessly trying to correct that BEFORE caring for patients and I never want such silliness to stand in the way of getting things done when every moment counts.

Perú's K-1 embassy packet can be viewed in our photos.
Travel Tips for Perú (& South America)
Our Immigration Experience
Seat Guru Flight seating!
Airport Processing Times - http://awt.cbp.gov/
POE-Houston? Pictures and info.....POE-Houston (other languages)....

Attention NEW K-1 Filers: (2012) Possible 1st year costs = Possibly 3K+$ for first year including fees for mailing, documents, supplies, etc.. NOT including travel costs. Process: 1.)Apply-340$ 2.)RFE? 3.) Med-300??$ 4.)Interview-350$ 5.)Surrender passport. 6.)Get Visa. 7.)Fly here. 8.) Marry in 90 days. 9.) Submit apps to stay, work, & travel-1070$ 10.) Biometrics-More fingerprinting 11.) GREENCARD ISSUED APR 9TH, 2013-11 MONTHS FOR AOS!
I've lived in Houston for 10 years. If you have any questions about the city, please message me. :)

• 1 month later...
Timeline

Tried to edit to add another thought I had, but it was too late: I see you're AOSing, so the passport is a moot point.

However, if you and your wife don't have a problem with her formal name on IDs being one thing and her name used for everything else another, it shouldn't be a big problem in her future. I have a strange first and last name and it gets mis-spelled when signing up for phone service and the like. Hence, on my background checks I just have an alias section they include. It's obvious they aren't criminal aliases and no one has ever made a fuss about it.

I can imagine how you feel about the paternal apellido just being forgotten altogether. Might be best resolved after the AOS? I wish someone would write a comprehensive guide to changing your name in the middle of immigration matters, since it's so expensive to have to replace a resident card. Even when dealing with Social Security, conflicting reports come back about what should be done.

Her'es what we did find out. We could get rid of names, but not add. So, we were able to drop the paternal apellido and a middle name that nobody want, so we were glad that when her NOA came it had her name almost how we wanted. So, basically what you put on the cover sheet and I-485, will be the name for USCIS, as long as it resembles the passport.

Met - January 2010
NOA1 - 9 December 2010
Touch - 13 December 2010
Touch - 31 December 2010
Touch - 3 May 2011
NOA 2 - 3 May 2011
Interview - 5 July 2011

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.