Danno

Ugly American x10 in Korea.

89 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Alan does have a very good point. I come from a mixed WASP/Mediteranian family where manners were drilled into me. From my WASP side it was things like no elbows on the table, how to place a fork and knife on the plate when you've finished eating, saying grace, and of course please/thank you/excuse me. From my other side it was more like, if you are going to have a piece of gum/a cookie/drink etc you always offer it to your guests/company first then you can have it. Generosity is huge, I always pay for my friend when we eat out because I know sometimes he can't afford it, and I don't care if he doesn't pay it back. I actually get angry when people won't take my money sometimes.

With Americans I've met though... It horrifies me. Even my husband didn't have "please" and "excuse me" in his vocabulary, although now my family and I have drilled it in. I had a literature professor from Chicago tell us he knew he was becoming Canadian when he bumped into a light post and apologized :lol:

USCIS

Jul 15/11 - Sent I-130 Package from Honolulu

Jul 18/11 - I-130 package received & signed for in Chicago
Jul 19/11 - Priority Date
Jul 21/11 - NOA1/USCIS Acceptance Confirmation received
Jul 29/11 - Received I-797C hard copy
Aug 4/11 - Touched
Feb 16/12 - NOA2 Approval (212 days since Priority Date)

NVC

Feb 28/12 - NVC Case Number, BIN & IIN Assigned, Optin E-mail for EP Sent

Mar 2/12 - DS-261 Submitted
Mar 5/12 - Electronic Processing Opt-in Accepted, AOS Invoiced & Paid
Mar 7/12 - NVC receive IV electronic package, AOS shows "Paid", AOS Package Sent
Mar 9/12 - IV Bill Invoiced & Paid
Mar 12/12 - AOS fee shows as "Not Paid - Rejected": Human error. AOS re-paid.
Mar 13/12 - IV is "Paid." Will have to be re-paid post imminent "Rejected" status. NVC e-mail "Checklist Cover Letter" asking for my $$$
Mar 14/12 - IV is "Rejected - Not Paid", Re-paid, AOS is "Paid"
Mar 16/12 - IV is "Paid", DS-260 submitted & Package sent
Mar 19/12 - IV Package Received
Mar 20/12 - Case Complete E-mail Received (21 days at NVC)

Final Steps

Apr 10/12 - Interview date assigned: May 9 @ 8:30AM

May 1/12 - Medical Date
May 9/12 - Interview result: Approved!
Jun 22/12 - POE
Jul 23/12 - SSN assigned
Aug 10/12 - Green card in hand

ROC

Mar 25/14 - ROC sent to CSC

Mar 28/14 - Package delivered to CSC

Apr 1/14 - Check cashed

Apr 3/14 - Received NOA1, Receipt Date: 3/28

Jun 15/14 - Move to San Diego

Jun 23/14 - RFE / Package sent: Aug 6, ETA Aug 8

Aug 22/14 - New Card in Production

You know, come to think of it, I'm sure the big difference between the young people of the UK a few weeks back and Americans is they said please and thank you before they availed themselves of free TVs and burned down people's homes.

90day.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

America is great land of the free freedom of speech.

I suspect that you are not for real.. your 2 posts are real troll meat

Afghanistan ?

Scanty personal details

Yes I claim the bounty for detecting a fake account !

You know, come to think of it, I'm sure the big difference between the young people of the UK a few weeks back and Americans is they said please and thank you before they availed themselves of free TVs and burned down people's homes.

and stabbed people with a knife and fork - and not just a fork

moresheep400100.jpg

Timeline

Alan does have a very good point. I come from a mixed WASP/Mediteranian family where manners were drilled into me. From my WASP side it was things like no elbows on the table, how to place a fork and knife on the plate when you've finished eating, saying grace, and of course please/thank you/excuse me. From my other side it was more like, if you are going to have a piece of gum/a cookie/drink etc you always offer it to your guests/company first then you can have it. Generosity is huge, I always pay for my friend when we eat out because I know sometimes he can't afford it, and I don't care if he doesn't pay it back. I actually get angry when people won't take my money sometimes.

With Americans I've met though... It horrifies me. Even my husband didn't have "please" and "excuse me" in his vocabulary, although now my family and I have drilled it in. I had a literature professor from Chicago tell us he knew he was becoming Canadian when he bumped into a light post and apologized :lol:

I love to discuss these cultural differences because they are part of this new life experience I am having, and I miss out not being able to compare and contrast. I can't though because one of the cultural differences is that Americans are incredibly paranoid if they detect a hint of 'Criticizing America' and they come screaming out of the woodwork from all angles and use the dirtiest tricks to pound the perceived criticizer into the dirt. I know this at first hand because my wife is American and won't let me laugh at the blinding white teeth of the TV presenters.

I can report that this is not the case in England where we are the first to agree that city streets are a disgrace and the underclass is forever present and the weather is horrible etc etc etc. I suppose we balance that acceptance of our flaws, with a deep seated and unspoken smug assurance that our other cultural attributes more than offset all that.

Discussing these differences is NOT denigrating America. I have tried giving it balance by waxing lyrical on the wonderful things about the USA and preparing my audience for one tiny little negative - hoping they will accept it if I prepare the ground first. It doesn't work. Only 100% approval of the USA can be allowed otherwise the mighty fist comes down. It's a cultural thing and there is no sign of it changing. I have concluded that it comes from a deep seated inferiority complex and I try to remove that first before mentioning...anything ?...but without success.

As far as politeness is concerned - as long as things are going well, the USA has to be the politest society in the world. My friends at my rifle club treat me with incredible grace and politeness and friendliness. However, as soon as your status changes to opponent or outsider (eg a Mexican) - every foul word in the American English vocabulary will be used and every dirty trick employed to crush you

It's a cultural thing. Its very interesting but quite exhausting to navigate it

Of course these are stereotypes but sterotypes are valid as an aid to survival in the time before an individual's characreristics are known. For instance, stereotyping a bull in a field as a potential threat, is very useful and doesn't exclude making a pet out of it later when its true nature is ascertained.

Edited by Alan the Red

moresheep400100.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Yes I claim the bounty for detecting a fake account !

you're about 3 days too late.

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

I tried to explain to my wife when she first got here that America, while being the most free country in the world, doesn't necessarily mean you're free to do what you want when you want.

It means you're free to apply for the proper permit, license, approval, etc.

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Timeline

you're about 3 days too late.

Dash !

I was going to have a second career as Dog the Bounty hunter - then I found someone had already got the name - and now my first capture has been gotcherd before I had chance to get my bandana and gold rings and big belt on

oh well

moresheep400100.jpg

Timeline

I tried to explain to my wife when she first got here that America, while being the most free country in the world, doesn't necessarily mean you're free to do what you want when you want.

It means you're free to apply for the proper permit, license, approval, etc.

...and you can say anything you want any time and any place you want to say it - so long as you realize there are consequences and they hurt and are expensive

eg going to texas and saying big hats look silly and then referring to the 1st and your right to say it, will avail you but little I fear

...especially if they seceeded last night and you didnt see the news on the telly

moresheep400100.jpg

I would argue that your situation doesnt speak for most people. In my neck of the woods these words are very common. One thing I do find different/odd about my wife's culture is that the birthday boy/girl pays for party. As far as who will pay for dinner, IMO who ever did the inviting should pay unless the other insists to pay for their own.

Edited by _Simpson_

Timeline

Not a fake or a troll so stop being jude

Come out of the shadows - your profile is as bare as Bernake's bone dome - it looks like you are hiding something.

I understand that the Taliban may be after you and you might have been put in a safe house in CA. In that case though , you wouldn't be so uncomplimentary about the Americans. Anyway, that's my job and you would need a work permit do it

Actually, now I am an American, its a form of self abuse and I could be whisked away for my own good

So come on and tell us more about yourself and why I cant be Jude.

In America you can be anything you want - except on VJ where you have to be you.

Perhaps your "Judy in disguise ?"

Why don't you start by telling me which disqualifies me from heaven the most - eating pork chops or being an unbeliever ?

PS Welcome to VJ - peace be up your Khyber

moresheep400100.jpg

Timeline

I will do what ihave to do and just ignore you.

Did you and I used to be married ?

Your acclimatisation is coming along apace

moresheep400100.jpg