k_hudda

This is just a general topic: Which is the best place to live in america?

99 posts in this topic

Seriously, generally speaking...being with my companion, where ever we are, i'm sure it will be great; and adaptation is the key!...every place has it's charm if one tries to see it...or create it...

i agree.. ADAPTATION is key.... .. in the perfect world.. we'd want to live in any state we want.. but realistically, e.g. you decide to live in city A, you live in this place but you're not able to find a job.. then what are you gonna do? u'd eventually have to move to an area where there is employement available for u.. dont u think? unless u're gonna switch careers or something... so to be more realistic.. it'd probably be a place that you're ok with where you can make a relatively decent living... that's just my opinion.

I-130 Sent : July 17, 06

NOA1 : July 27

Nov 22, file is 'pending'

Nov 28, Touched

Dec 4, APPROVED!!!! ^__^

Dec 6, NVC Case Number Assigned

Dec 18, DS-3032 & AOS bill sent

Dec 21, NVC accepted choice of agent via email

Dec 22, Sent AOS bill using James' shortcuts

Dec 25, IV Bill Generated

Jan 9, Sent I-864 using James' shortcuts

Jan 15, IV bill arrived

Jan 16, IV Bill Paid

Jan 19, IV bill processed

Jan 22, I-864 being reviewed

Jan 29, Sent DS-230 using James' shortcuts

Feb 13, CASE COMPLETED!!

Apr 13, INTERVIEW - APPROVED!!

Apr 28, Entered USA, POE Vancouver. Told that my visa stamp serves as a temporary Green Card.

I-129F Sent : Aug 20, 06

NOA1 : Aug 31, 06

Oct 23, 06, received email that case forwarded to CSC

Oct 27, 06, received email saying that case has reached CSC

Nov 22, 06, note said file received and pending

Dec 13, 06, Touched with same note as above

ABANDONING K3

I-751 Sent on Jan 28, 09 to remove conditions

Feb 1 - Check cashed

Feb 25 - Biometrics

Jun 1 - Approved! (Decision date was May 26, 09)

Now waiting for green card...

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Other Timeline
I come from the Prairies in Canada too and I'll be moving to Denver, Colorado.

Beautiful city, gorgeous scenery, snowboarding nearby. 4 distinct seasons, but a typically mild winter (I'm used to -40, 11 degrees F is teeshirt weather)

Summers are a bit hot, the area in itself can get quite dry, but living a stone's throw from the mountains is something I've never experienced before and I'm looking forward to it.

Housing prices are average... it depends where you want to live. The farther away from Denver Metro, the bigger the house you can get for less money. The closer you are, well... Let's just say I don't mind a bit of a commute :lol:

Big city, lots of nightlife and restaurants, plenty of attractions, and an International Airport that is a major worldwide hub. I'm set!

I used to work for a company with offices in Littleton (suburb of Denver, about 20 minutes from the crazy airport)...watch them all go completely insane when it snows! :lol: They probably get more snow in and around Denver than most places in Southern Canada, and yet they just can't figure out how to drive in it! Its incredibly funny, and very frustrating trying to get anywhere.

16th Street Mall is good for the touristy brew pubs and some decent food. Unless its changed a whole bunch since I was last there, but I doubt it.

My first trip to Denver I got altitude sickness. That's what happens when a flatlander from Toronto gets any higher than 2000 feet ;) It didn't happen on subsequent visits, but that first trip was painful. Hangovers with altitude sickness really are no fun at all! But the pub crawl was fun! *snarf*

divorced - April 2010 moved back to Ontario May 2010 and surrendered green card

PLEASE DO NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE ME OR EMAIL ME. I HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT CURRENT US IMMIGRATION PROCEDURES!!!!!

We're currently living in Bellevue, WA - which is the Microsoft town just outside of Seattle. I absolutely love living here except for one thing, the cost of living is just ridiculous. (We came from Vancouver, WA.) I can remember our first trip to a grocery store here, and being completely disgusted at the $$$ of just bread and milk...forget the housing market, you can't even buy a garden shed in this area for less than half a million.

My one and only british friend and her US husband have just moved to Texas for the exact same reason, the cost of living here is just waaaaaay high! *wants to move to Texas*

01/10/05 - Arrived back in US

01/26/05 - Got Married! WooHoo!

02/14/05 - Had Medical Exam

02/22/05 - Filed for AOS in Seattle, in person

03/31/05 - Got EAD!!

04/02/05 - Biometrics and Fingerprinting

05/19/05 - AOS Interview - awaiting decision...

08/24/05 - (conditional) Permanent Resident

09/08/05 - Passport stamped in Seattle

09/19/05 - Recieved actual Greencard! YAY!!!

05/24/07 - 90 days to remove conditions starts!

06/02/07 - Filed I-751, California Service Center

08/09/07 - Biometrics and Fingerprinting

08/28/07 - I-751 Approved & conditions are removed!

09/12/07 - Recieved 10 year Greencard! YEAH!!!

*now contemplating N-400 and citizenship*

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
1. Atlanta, GA. 2. Dallas, TX.
I consider both to be simply uninhabitable.

IMHO, the solution is as follows:

1). Draw a line across the U.S. through Washington D.C. Exclude everywhere south of that line.

2). Now exclude California and Oregon just on general principle.

3). Now exclude New Jersey (smell), Deleware (too close to NJ), and most of the north east (say, New England except for Maine and upstate New York). The politics and taxes there are just insane.

4). Now exclude the fly-over states - that's everything between the Rocky Mountains and the East Coast, which does not border Canada. It's just too boring and too far away from anything interesting, or has other problems.

So what's left? Maine, New York, Pennsylvania, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, North Dakota, Montana, Idaho, Washington, and Alaska.

You can safely exclude North Dakota, Montana, and Idaho. if you want to have any kind of decent job with good pay. You eliminate for smell, that probably excludes Wisconsin, Pennsylvania, and Minnesota. That means the only places worth living in the U.S. are:

Maine, New York, Michigan, Washington, and Alaska.

Personally, I chose Alaska (moved here from Virginia, and after living in Texas). I don't recommend it for you though because we don't need any more people up here - so maybe try, um, Maine?

FWIW, I have seen a lot of the U.S. - and mostly by car or motorcycle. You'd be amazed at how much it smells. The only states I have NOT been to are Idaho, North Dakota, and Nebraska. I don't see any reason to go to any of those either - my guess is they are pretty stinky.

Good luck!

AKDiver

Sorry, but where's Maryland in all this?? Maryland is a beautiful state and I like living here and it doesn't smell. Oh and PA doesn't smell either. At least not the south of it. It's actually quite nice there.

I-485 AOS Filing (shortened timeline):

08/25/06 - WEDDING DAY <3

09/14/06 - Medical

09/18/06 - Mailed AOS

10/04/06 - RFE request I-485

10/11/06 - RFE response rec'd by USCIS

10/12/06 - BIOMETRICS done!

11/18/06 - Interview Notice in mail (Day 60)

12/26/06 - *TOUCH* I-765, EAD approval notice sent (Day 98)

12/29/06 - Received EAD, applied for SSN (Day 101)

01/03/07 - *TOUCH* I-130, I-485, I-765 received EAD (Day 106)

01/10/07 - INTERVIEW 9:45am Baltimore! Recommended for approval (Day 113)

05/08/07 - APPROVAL NOTICE & WELCOME TO USA LETTER SENT! (Day 231)

05/14/07 - Received I-130 approval & welcome letter (Day 237)

05/15/07 - Green card ordered (Day 238)

I-751 Filing:

02/06/09 - Mailed I-751! (Day 1)

02/09/09 - I-751 Delivered to Vermont (Day 4)

02/13/09 - NOA 1 (Day 8)

03/06/09 - BIOMETRICS (Day 29)

03/09/09 - *TOUCH* (Day 32)

06/26/09 - 10 year green card APPROVED! (Day 141)

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

If you go by real estate prices it would probably be the San Fransisco and San Diego areas. But if you're looking for a lower cost of living, the south part of the country. I've lived in the midwest all my life, which some may find boring but no floods, hurricanes, forest fires, earth quakes (so far). Some tornados. Most midwest states mark very high in education and moderate cost of living. Naperville Illinois a suburb of Chicago is number 2 on the Money Magazine list of top cities. I live near Chicago which is a great city. But some of the Chicago suburbs are pricey for real estate, and if you don't like cold, winter is a problem.

http://money.cnn.com/magazines/moneymag/bp...p100/index.html

Feb. 2005 - Met in Brazil the first time

May. 2005 - Visited Brazil

Aug. 2005 - Visited Brazil

10/30/05 - Mailed I129F

11/09/05 - NOA1

Nov. 2005 - Visited my fiance in Brazil

02/02/06 - NOA2

Feb. 2006 - Visited my fiance in Brazil

02/24/06 - Packet received at NVC

03/20/06 - Fiance received packet 3 from consulate

04/26/06 - Fiance received appointment letter

05/09/06 - I flew to Rio

5/10/06 - Met fiance at airport

5/11/06 - Medical exam in Rio

05/12/06 - Interview in Rio - APPROVED!!!!

05/17/06 - Received visa in Rio

07/20/06 - POE Miami

10/16/06 - Married!!!!

01/10/07 - Sent AOS and EAD application

01/17/07 - NOA - Receipt

02/02/07 - Biometric appointment

02/09/07 - NOA - Transfer of case to California center

03/22/07 - EAD approved

05/10/07 - AOS approved!!!!

Eulalia and Bill

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Scotland
Timeline

Anywhere must be better than Ohio. Finding good employment here is virtually impossible!

09/04/2004 - I-129F Filed

18th March 2005 INTERVIEW DATE!!! APPROVED!!!!!

4th May 2005 - MARRIED - Two Hearts become One

19/08/2005 - Biometircs appt in Cleveland - 12pm

12/12/2005 - Received AOS Interview Date

23/01/2006 - AOS Interview in Cleveland at 9.30am

Feb 2006 - Got Green Card. Now a perm resident

April 2006 - Found employment with K-mart...better than being jobless

I will Love You Forever,

I love you so deeply,

I love you so much,

I love the sound of your voice

And the way that we touch.

I love your warm smile

And your kind, thoughtful way,

The joy that you bring

To my life every day.

I love you today

As I have from the start,

And I'll love you forever

With all of my heart

Filed: Country: Vietnam
Timeline
I have two option 1. Atlanta, GA. 2. Dallas, TX.

Thanks,

K

Well I don't think it's one of these two! But if I had to choose I think it would be Atlanta.

20-July -03 Meet Nicole

17-May -04 Divorce Final. I-129F submitted to USCIS

02-July -04 NOA1

30-Aug -04 NOA2 (Approved)

13-Sept-04 NVC to HCMC

08-Oc t -04 Pack 3 received and sent

15-Dec -04 Pack 4 received.

24-Jan-05 Interview----------------Passed

28-Feb-05 Visa Issued

06-Mar-05 ----Nicole is here!!EVERYBODY DANCE!

10-Mar-05 --US Marriage

01-Nov-05 -AOS complete

14-Nov-07 -10 year green card approved

12-Mar-09 Citizenship Oath Montebello, CA

May '04- Mar '09! The 5 year journey is complete!

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline
If I had my druthers I would live in Portland, OR.

For all the reasons mentioned above - surrounded by natural beauty, relatively cheap cost of living, temperate weather, decent public transport, reasonable amount of nightlife and shopping and an hour from the ocean.

Though it rains a lot -- it's not perfect.

Unforunately, my job as it is at the moment limits me to LA and maybe NYC.

I live near Portland, OR in Vancouver, WA. Yes beautiful nature, mild winters, and perfect summers. So now the reality check:

Due to the nature quality of the city and state many fruits and nuts move here from LA, SF and other areas.

The Willamette River is the sewer of the city of Portland. The city dumps millions upon millions of gallons of raw sewage into the river every year. The fact of this environmental autrocity is actually very much under reported by the liberal Oregonain newspaper. Areas of the city stinks terribly on the many days/weeks/months of the sewage overflow.

The liberal population in the most liberal city in the country perfers to protest well planned (no impact to water life or surrounding environments) tree cutting than pay to clean up its own affluent. Their affluent kills millions of fish on the protected species list.

A general attitude of entitlement and expecting the federal government to remedy the problems rather than local expenditure.

The city spends money on fountains and beautification rather than sewage treatment.

The city schools are vastly underfunded due to the politics of the large numbers of childless couples living in Portland.

If the water doesnt stink the corrupt liberal politics prove intensely odorous.

I live in Vancouver, not as pretty but practical attitudes and responsiblity here.

Edited by mark_ira

K Hudda,

I live in Atlanta. The perks are a good art museum, ballet, opera company, national forests. A great symphony and aquarium and a very convenient airport (Delta and Airtran hub- so you always can get cheaps flights). Professional baseball, football, basketball and hockey teams. Okay zoo and botantical gardens. Excellent job market. Large and diverse immigrant community. Lots of educational institutions. The second highest homosexual population per capita in the U.S. (if you were gay and living in Alabama where would you go?) Atlanta has the most forest cover of any urban area in the U.S. and people always comment on how "green" it is. Vibrant intown living- both in condos and in real houses with lawns. Tons of festivals in the summer including the Montreaux Jazz Festival. The biggest downside, and this is only my personal opinion, is Atlanta is very bright and shiny- people LOVE money. Business is hoppin', everyone has beautiful cars, it is a very style over substance city. There are hippie enclaves but it is not a definitive part of the city. Atlanta is also gentrifying rapidly making it harder for poor people to live intown. Oh, traffic is bad but it is only a problem if you livein the suburbs and commute. Intown traffic is fine.

Any specific questions?

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

I REALLY like Phoenix. I have been wanting to move here for as long as I can remember. I also like Madison, WI as long as it is in the summer. I can no longer handle those winters! :D

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

My (L) is in Atlanta! I am the happiest I have been in my life and its partly due to my environment.

FYI I have lived in Cleveland,OH and Orlando,FL in the past.

La Verdadera y El Sincero - Siempre

2005 - 2006 Spent falling in love

22 May 2006 My journey to Nigeria

24 May 2006 David proposes to me

9 June 2006 Mailed I129F to TSC

30 June 2006 NOA-1

Case Transferred to CSC

27 July 2006 Touched

5 Sept 2006 Called USCIS for case / IMBRA status

14 Sept 2006 Touched

19 Sept 2006 Touched Again!

23 Sept 2006 Received IMBRA RFE by postal mail (postmarked 20 Sept 2006)

25 Sept 2006 Response to IMBRA RFE sent Priority Mail w/Delivery Confirmation

29 Sept 2006 Rec'd Email stating RFE received

1 Oct 2006 Touched - Same RFE rec'd message

17 Oct 2006 NOA-2 Rec'd via Email

23 Oct 2006 NOA-2 Rec'd via Postal Mail

9 Nov 2006 Email from NVC (response to my inquiry) w/NVC case# - file to Lagos 6 Nov

13 Nov 2006 Received NVC letter via Postal Mail

20 Nov 2006 Fiance went to Lagos Consulate- Interview Date Received

7 Feb 2007 Interview-VISA GRANTED!!! -

12 Feb 2007 Visa in Hand!!! ***Scheduled arrival 23 Feb 2007***

23 Feb 2007 Arrived JFK USA!!!

12 May 2007 Married

23 May 2007 Filed AOS

25 May 2007 Rec'd NOA1

• 3 weeks later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

I would definatly say Oregon...cause I am from there....but theres little crime, not too expensive...pretty, no natural disaster hazards, no sales tax, and you dont pump your own gas....only down falls are lots of rain.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.