Lesia

Ukrainian Mother doesn't speak any English

13 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-5 Country: Ukraine
Timeline

My Mother might get her immigrant visa very shortly and has to make a trip to US from Ukraine by herself.

She doesn't speak or understand any English. I am going to book for her direct flight Kiev-NewYork and give her some cards in English with translation.

Unfortunately, I will not be able to go to Ukraine to bring her here due to work.

I am a little bit concern if she is able to go through customs without knowing any English.

I would appreciate, if anybody here could share with me similar experience.

How hard was for elderly parents to go through it?

Thank you!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Laos
Timeline

My friend bought a plane ticket for her non-English speaking mom from usa to laos and back. She bought a ticket where it was noted that she was disable or needed assistance. They pretty much wheeled her from gate to gate so she never got lost. Her mom wasn't disable and could walk but didn't speak any English so would have gotten lost. Her mom is older tho, about early 70s.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

My parents don't speak English. They came over here with me (they were coming for the wedding), but they went back home on their own and they had a layover in Vienna. I prepared some cards for them - and they said those were very useful. The cards were basically for them to be able to ask for directions. Also, here in the States they met an airpot worker, who could speak Russian, so they were fine. I'm pretty sure they have people, who speak Russian/Ukrainian at the customs.

Вiрити нiкому не можна. Hавiть собi. Менi - можна ©

My MiL will be in the same boat in a few months, and I really like the card idea, thanks! She speaks Russian, a smattering of Ukrainian and English, and passable French, but has voiced her concerns about traveling to the US. I think what we'll wind up doing is just flying out to her port of entry and meeting her there. Or at least I will as the wife will probably be too busy studying. But if I decide to make her go it alone, I think sending her with some cards is a perfect idea!

ONA, do you remember what phrases you provided her with?

“Insist on yourself; never imitate. Your own gift you can present every moment with the cumulative force of a whole life’s cultivation; but of the adopted talent of another, you have only an extemporaneous half-possession. That which each can do best, none but his Maker can teach him.” — Emerson

I've seen this a lot at the airports. Buy your mom extra service that includes wheelchair even if she is not disabled. I believe the cost is around $100 -150 - check with your carrier. She'll be the first one in and the last one out of the plane, always with attendant's assistance, so if she needs to use a restroom while waiting at the airport, they'll help her find it and then take her back to the waiting lounge.

Make a sheet of paper with all the info for your mom - name, DOB, her passport number, address where she will be staying, your contact phone numbers, full itinerary including flight number and departure time, carrier name, basic info that she doesn't speak English and needs an interpreter for immigration and make sure she has copies to show people so she can get assistance. Very important, you be with your cell phone if she gets stuck in immigration and they call you.

ROC 2009
Naturalization 2010

Timeline

ONA, do you remember what phrases you provided her with?

Well, for example, for their layover in Vienna, I made a card saying something like

"Hello!

Sorry, we don't speak English. We have a connecting flight to Moscow. Can you, please, show us the way we should go?

Thank you!"

So, it was just stuff like that, depending on the situation :)

Вiрити нiкому не можна. Hавiть собi. Менi - можна ©

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

She will most likely find a Russian speaking agent at JFK. It seems there has always been one there when we have arrived. New York has the highest population of Russian speaking immigrants of any place in the US. They even have an area called "Little Odessa" we know some people there that have been here for years and do not speak English. They say they would "if they actually ever ventured into the USA" :rofl:

I think your mother will do fine getting through customs. All she really needs to do is hand over her paperwork and she will be fine.

She really cannot go wrong. Even if she gets in the wrong line (HORROR!) Nothign will happen, they will help her. If she forgets to fill out something, they will help her. She will not be the first one that day that doesn't speak English (she probably will not even be in the first 10,000) so they are pretty well accustomed to it.

Edited by Gary and Alla

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

My Mother might get her immigrant visa very shortly and has to make a trip to US from Ukraine by herself.

She doesn't speak or understand any English. I am going to book for her direct flight Kiev-NewYork and give her some cards in English with translation.

Unfortunately, I will not be able to go to Ukraine to bring her here due to work.

I am a little bit concern if she is able to go through customs without knowing any English.

I would appreciate, if anybody here could share with me similar experience.

How hard was for elderly parents to go through it?

Thank you!

There will be plenty of Russian speaking folks on that plane that she can team up with. The flight attendents can help and on-ground airline and airport folks are used to this. Shouldn't be a concern.

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

Timeline

Thank you very much for so many replies, guys!!!!

I started feeling much better! I will get ready some cards and hopefully she will have somebody who speaks Russian or Ukrainian to help her and, of course, we will keep our cell phone ready in case immigration officers will have some questions.

Edited by Lesia

Timeline

My wife's uncle arrived yesterday. He is hearing impaired and does not speak any English. I sent him copies of the I-94 with his part filled in and the customs form also filled in so that all he had to do was copy the info onto the proper forms. Also sent a card with the usual info about his flights and my phone number. I called Delta twice and arranged to have some one meet him and take him through immigration and to his next gate. Unfortunately no one met him, but somehow he was able to get help and get to his next gate in Atlanta.

If at first you don't succeed, then sky diving is not for you.

Someone stole my dictionary. Now I am at a loss for words.

If Apple made a car, would it have windows?

Ban shredded cheese. Make America Grate Again .

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.  Deport him and you never have to feed him again.

I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.

I went bald but I kept my comb.  I just couldn't part with it.

My name is not Richard Edward but my friends still call me DickEd

If your pet has a bladder infection, urine trouble.

"Watch out where the huskies go, and don't you eat that yellow snow."

I fired myself from cleaning the house. I didn't like my attitude and I got caught drinking on the job.

My kid has A.D.D... and a couple of F's

Carrots improve your vision.  Alcohol doubles it.

A dung beetle walks into a bar and asks " Is this stool taken?"

Breaking news.  They're not making yardsticks any longer.

Hemorrhoids?  Shouldn't they be called Assteroids?

If life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.

If you suck at playing the trumpet, that may be why.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

I have heard of people buying trace-phones and sending them so when they arrive they can call your house if there is a problem or delay, or if they need translation.

No doubt JFK has lots of russian speakers but someone coming into atlanta might be in a different situation.

type2homophobia_zpsf8eddc83.jpg

"Those people who will not be governed by God

will be ruled by tyrants."

William Penn

Timeline

My wife's uncle arrived yesterday. He is hearing impaired and does not speak any English. I sent him copies of the I-94 with his part filled in and the customs form also filled in so that all he had to do was copy the info onto the proper forms. Also sent a card with the usual info about his flights and my phone number. I called Delta twice and arranged to have some one meet him and take him through immigration and to his next gate. Unfortunately no one met him, but somehow he was able to get help and get to his next gate in Atlanta.

Thank you! I like that idea, I just printed out those forms and I am going to fill them out for her, also I will get ready multiple cards. It is direct flight, hopefully she will be OK!!!

I have heard of people buying trace-phones and sending them so when they arrive they can call your house if there is a problem or delay, or if they need translation.

No doubt JFK has lots of russian speakers but someone coming into atlanta might be in a different situation.

Thank you for encouragement!!!!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

there will be no problems if you book direct they will have a few at immigration who are fluent in russian. tell her just fallow every one else after she gets her baggage. from the immigration and customs area you can only enter the main terminal.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.