2big

CAN A HUSBAND FILE FOR MOTHER-IN.LAW

10 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Hello,

It has been a while i came here. First, I would like to ask everyone how is it going? Hope everything is going on well?. Good news, after marriage/wedding in 2009 Decemeber, my wife migrated to U.S.A immediately with me. We had our daughter December, 03, 2011. Now it is time to invite her mother-in-law. My question is this.

My wife does not work and i, the husband is about to file 1-130 to bring her mother to visit(not green card, just visiting). I don't know if i'm doing the right thing or not or whether if i can invite her mother? even though she is not my mother, but in-law. I'm a U.S citizen and my wife is a green card holder. I have filled out the form and provided an affidavit of support for her coming. Since my wife's mother is not my mother, can the husband invite her? Please i would need an urgent reply for this and this will be appreciated. Her interview day is next month.

Thanks and God bless

2big

1-129F Journey:

Met my Fiancee: 1998 when i was a tutor in a High

1998 December: Became friends and started talking

2000 : Lost Contact and never met again

2003: Traveled to the States and still not talking

2005: Traveled back home and we met again ( serious here)

2007: I made up my mind that she is "the one"

2007 December 27th: Proposed to her

2009 May 12th: sent in the 1-129F for her

2009 May 19th: Receipt of NOA1

Sept 15th : NOA2 Approved email received

Sept 22nd: NOA2 Hard Copy received

Sept 16th: Package sent to NVC

Sept 17th: Package Received at NVC

Sept 21st: Package sent to Local Embassy.

Sept 26th : NVC Approval Letter received in the mail

Sept 28th: Package Delivered at Local Embassy (Lagos Nigeria)....Signed by Ben Obi by 10.50am.....yahooo..time to get ready for interview

NOV 20TH: Interview Date by 7.am...too early and i wonder what my woman will do since she is like 6hrs from the Location

MEDICAL: Done on 12th

Interview: PASSED on 20th without stress and not much questions......Glory be to God

Visa Picked up: Nov. 27th

Wedding: Dec 31st..... Got wedded and was fabulous

January 16th..... Wife entered US with me through IAD ,,,,,,NO EAD received

January 20th..... Got our Marriage License

February 14th .....Civil Marriage Date

.......... AOS

An I-130 is not for a visit and the husband cannot petition a mother-in-law. If she wants to visit she applies for a tourist visa.

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

Hello,

It has been a while i came here. First, I would like to ask everyone how is it going? Hope everything is going on well?. Good news, after marriage/wedding in 2009 Decemeber, my wife migrated to U.S.A immediately with me. We had our daughter December, 03, 2011. Now it is time to invite her mother-in-law. My question is this.

My wife does not work and i, the husband is about to file 1-130 to bring her mother to visit(not green card, just visiting). I don't know if i'm doing the right thing or not or whether if i can invite her mother? even though she is not my mother, but in-law. I'm a U.S citizen and my wife is a green card holder. I have filled out the form and provided an affidavit of support for her coming. Since my wife's mother is not my mother, can the husband invite her? Please i would need an urgent reply for this and this will be appreciated. Her interview day is next month.

Thanks and God bless

2big

no, you cannot file the i130, the i130 is for petitioning a GC

you cannot file for her to get a GC.

I think what you mean to file is a i134 an affidavit of support. but that's about it. she has to get her own tourist visa. she has to show strong ties to her country of origin and that she will not stay here. you cannot bring her to visit, only invite her, but she has to show ties of her own at the interview.

so forget about the i130.

Filed: Timeline

Form I-130 is for an immigration visa. In addition, a person cannot file an I-130 for an in-law.

Your MIL will have to file for a visitor visa on her own. You can send her an invitation letter and provide financial support for her. Whether she can get a visitor visa will depends on her strong ties to her home country to overcome the presumption that all foreign nationals entering the US have the intent to immigrate. She has to qualify for the visitor visa on her own.

Timeline

Form I-130 is for an immigration visa. In addition, a person cannot file an I-130 for an in-law.

Your MIL will have to file for a visitor visa on her own. You can send her an invitation letter and provide financial support for her. Whether she can get a visitor visa will depends on her strong ties to her home country to overcome the presumption that all foreign nationals entering the US have the intent to immigrate. She has to qualify for the visitor visa on her own.

Thanks all and i do appreciate.

1-129F Journey:

Sept 28th: Package Delivered at Local Embassy (Lagos Nigeria)....Signed by Ben Obi by 10.50am.....yahooo..time to get ready for interview

NOV 20TH: Interview Date by 7.am...too early and i wonder what my woman will do since she is like 6hrs from the Location

Interview: PASSED on 20th without stress and not much questions......Glory be to God

.......... AOS

• 4 weeks later...
Timeline

Thanks all and i do appreciate.

Hello guys,

Bad news today as early as 4.50am of US time. My mother-in-law was denied visa to visit her grand daughter in U.S.A under the section 214(b. I am asking how she obtain this strong ties when she is a widow, never worked (except farming) and have no bank statement except the ones the sons give to her. I intend to apply next month choosing another location and i don't know why they should have denied her visa. She is aged and 73yrs of age. Please guys advise because i don't really know what to do next. I applied at Abuja Nigeria and i want to try Lagos Nigeria now.

Any advice or help will be appreciated.

Thanks

1-129F Journey:

.......... AOS

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Rumor has it that Abuja is easier. It is pretty hard to get a visa so it is not a suprise. You don't use an 130 or a affidavit of support for a visitor visa. Does she have obligations at home of any sort ?

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

Timeline

Rumor has it that Abuja is easier. It is pretty hard to get a visa so it is not a suprise. You don't use an 130 or a affidavit of support for a visitor visa. Does she have obligations at home of any sort ?

Man..the rumor was fault. I used affidavit of support because i was trying to show that i can take care of her when comes here. She is 73yrs and aged and do not have any obligations at home? what do you mean by Obligations???? do you mean anything doing or have that will make her come back?

My mother-in-law is not coming here to stay and i wonder how they think that old lady will stay here? What're they thinking?

I must tell you i don't know what to do now because all my hope was that she will be given a visa considering her age, you know?

I guess i was wrong in my thinking. God help me because i really want her to visit me b/4 she is no more.

Thanks for stopping by and hope to hear back from you or anyone else?

2big

1-129F Journey:

.......... AOS

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

The basic thought of an immigration officer is that every applicant for a visitors visa wants to come to the US and become an illegal immigrant. You ( the applicant) has to prove that isn't so. Some countries it is easy because the US isn't much better ( if at all ) than where you are coming from. The whitest of these places have a program called VWP that pretty much lets you come whenever you want. We regularly send invitations to conventions to Nigerians that have tons of ties to Nigeria, doctors, government officals, teachers and such and only about 10% get visas. For the average Nigerian the rate is going to be much less. Obligations are ANYTHING that would cause them to go home. Raising a child/grandchild , work, school ( yes I know she isn't in school ) , owning a home. Most of the people I know use Abuja for visitors visas because the success rate is higher. Lagos is notoriously hardheaded about denials.

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.