Drumupalittleluv

Is it Common for a Thai woman to be uncomfortable saying "I Love You"?

39 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

So My Bride to be is coming to the US from Thailand next week! I am so excited!!! We dated for three weeks in Thailand, She also visited here on a tourist visa and we dated three weeks here. She is wonderful and has me totally convinced that we will be happily together the rest of our lives.

I have absolutely no reason to doubt her sincerity. Only one thing; she says she is uncomfortable saying "I love you". Is this common in Thai culture?

Also; when we took a short trip to Koh Samui, I noticed that she didn't hug her parents to say good bye. It was a very formal good bye. I asked her about this and she said that is normal in her culture.

So; are there any Thai culture experts that can put me at ease? Or is this a red flag?

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

So My Bride to be is coming to the US from Thailand next week! I am so excited!!! We dated for three weeks in Thailand, She also visited here on a tourist visa and we dated three weeks here. She is wonderful and has me totally convinced that we will be happily together the rest of our lives.

I have absolutely no reason to doubt her sincerity. Only one thing; she says she is uncomfortable saying "I love you". Is this common in Thai culture?

Also; when we took a short trip to Koh Samui, I noticed that she didn't hug her parents to say good bye. It was a very formal good bye. I asked her about this and she said that is normal in her culture.

So; are there any Thai culture experts that can put me at ease? Or is this a red flag?

Many Asian cultures are not into overt shows of affection. It is not only Thai culture. I don't see anything wrong with it, if that's all that gives you pause, I wouldn't sweat it. :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

IR5

2007-07-27 – Case complete at NVC waiting on the world or at least MTL.

2007-12-19 - INTERVIEW AT MTL, SPLIT DECISION.

2007-12-24-Mom's I-551 arrives, Pop's still in purgatory (AP)

2008-03-11-AP all done, Pop is approved!!!!

tumblr_lme0c1CoS21qe0eclo1_r6_500.gif

Filed: Country:
Timeline
Many Asian cultures are not into overt shows of affection. It is not only Thai culture. I don't see anything wrong with it, if that's all that gives you pause, I wouldn't sweat it.

Completely agree with this. As someone who has dated Asian women (Chinese, Korean) and is now married to a Filipina I can tell you this is the way it is.

Words have no value unless they are supported by actions. She won't tell you how she feels, she'll show you how she feels.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

She dont feel comfortable saying I love you but does she loves you? Words doesnt mean much sometimes but the action does. How did she tell you she loves you? is she caring? Does she show her care by touch? Did she mean she doesnt feel comfortable saying it all the time? Or has she not say it becasue she doesnt feel comforable about it. IF the later, I feel that's weird.

The part about her parents - I say it depends. All my friends hugs there parents, but I can see someone that just 'wai' - depends on the relationship between them :)

K-1 = 4 months

AOS = 5 months

I-751 = almost one year

I Love My Life With You

"A society is judged by how it treats its animals and elderly"

Timeline

Anya-D has given you some useful things to consider. Moving this from off-topic to the E Asia forum where you will likely get more serious answers.

Edited by rsn

K1: 01/15/2009 (mailed I-129F) - 06/23/2009 (visa received)

AOS: 08/08/2009 (mailed I-485, I-765, & I-131) - 10/29/2009 (received GC)

Timeline

To back up what Anya-D has stated, the "hugging" does vary based on the person. It seems common for Thai women to hug each other, but as far as the parents are concerned, that definitely seems to vary. I've noticed that some are more reluctant to hug their father and more likely to hug their mother.

K1: 01/15/2009 (mailed I-129F) - 06/23/2009 (visa received)

AOS: 08/08/2009 (mailed I-485, I-765, & I-131) - 10/29/2009 (received GC)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

two unhelpful/snarky posts removed. any further posts along that line will result in a thread ban or worse.

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

I suggest you buy the book Thailand Fever. You will find many answers to these questions there. Amazon books.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Indonesia
Timeline

I didnt say i love you until he became my husband. I love you is so special for us.

I dont hug my parents as well. I kiss their hand as my respect or when saying good bye. Maybe Thai similar to Indonesia?

*K1 JOURNEY

2010-07-16****K1 Petition Sent Out

2010-08-08****NOA1 Hardcopy

2011-05-20****POE LAX

2011-06-20****Wedding

AOS:

2011-08-18****AOS Package Sent.

2011-09-29****Biometric Appt. Dover, Delaware

2011-10-18****RFE reply

2011-12-13****GC in hand

AP:

2011-10-31****File AP

2011-11-08****NOA1

2011-11-14****AP Approved

ROC:

2013-10-22***Package Sent

2013-11-03***Check Cashed

2013-11-05***NOA1
2013-11-25***Biometrics

2014-02-06***GC in hand dancin5hr.gif

5b904a1af6.gif

Timeline

two unhelpful/snarky posts removed. any further posts along that line will result in a thread ban or worse.

I don't care what you do to me, I'm not shaving your back hair. :P

IR5

Timeline

Well thank you IR5 and Bob for easing my fears and showing your expertise on the matter. Also; thank you luckytxn for showing your true nature. "eeeehaawwww eeeehaaawww"! :blink:

Anytime!!!! I'm sure things are going to be fine. :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

Edited by IR5FORMUMSIE

IR5

Timeline

We used to hold hands when we first started dating, but then she'd pull her hand away when we got close to the hospital where she worked. She didn't want her friends to see us. Public displays of affection are not as accepted in Thailand as in the US. She did use the "I love you" phrase first, long before I was ready for it. We've been married 2 years now in the states. At this point it's pretty typical in terms of signs/words/gestures of affection, about the same as what you'd expect in an American/American relationship.

Good luck!

Timeline

These replies have been very helpful and I am sure things will be fine. She does show me that she loves me in many ways so I am sure that it is just a Thai way. She is 40 and a bit old fashioned, just the way I want it:)

Thanks again, take care.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.