rraypo

Teacher Credential

13 posts in this topic

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

Hi,

My name is Raquel, I am from Brazil and got my Green Card last March. Since then, I've been working in a Day Care and I have been studying in order to get my CDA (Children Development Associate). However, I have a bachelor degree in Translation/Interpreting and Education. I would like to know how I can have my degree evaluated so I can get a job as a teacher here in Oregon.

Thank you in advance.

Raquel

Hey Hey, it's Oregon Ray!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

You need to work with whatever place will be issuing a credential. They will tell you where they want to have your degree evaluated at. They may have several choices. Usually the eval is about 150 -200

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

If you already have a bachalor's degree in education there is a good chance you would only need to take the standardized teaching assessment for oregon in order to teach. Depending on the needs in your state being P/E bilingual could be a major asset (so definitly keep it on your resume / cv). Another place to look is at Charter schools. These are schools built / owned with private money, but receive state money. Many of these since they're techincally private schools hire teachers with degrees / experience regardless of whether or not they are certified in that particular state. I would definitly study / take the exame to get your teaching certificate in Oregon. Good Luck!

PS If you're willing to work outside of your teaching field check online for Portuguese jobs. Some will be in other states, but can be performed over the phone / internet (especially customer service, telemarketing, and helpdesk positions) - Since Brazil is one of the fastest growing economies in the world these days banks and businesses here in the US are scrambling to do business with them. Being fluent in Portuguese can land you a really nice job in industries like sales, customer service, telemarketing, help desk, energy (coal, oil, gas etc) and banking / finance). If you have any major cities near you, I would apply at all the major / national banks. In small towns if you have "bilingual"on your resume, they will probably ask "Oh you speak Spanish??" and possibly be slightly dissapointed if you say no (although I've heard many Portuguese speakers have an easier time learning Spanish then many English speakers). In larger cities, however, many companies have plenty Spanish bilinguals on staff and are really seeking Portuguese speakers in order to do business with Brazil. If it interests you at all, it's worth a shot starting salaries are generally fairly nice. :)

Hi,

My name is Raquel, I am from Brazil and got my Green Card last March. Since then, I've been working in a Day Care and I have been studying in order to get my CDA (Children Development Associate). However, I have a bachelor degree in Translation/Interpreting and Education. I would like to know how I can have my degree evaluated so I can get a job as a teacher here in Oregon.

Thank you in advance.

Raquel

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hi,

Thank you in advance.

Raquel

hi Raquel,

Visit www.acei1.com its a complete details on how to evaulate your credentials, I had my credentials evaluated 2 yrs ago, and its cheaper than other evaluation institute. good luck.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

Hello Rachel,PAAAAFsph7Fl1CKcSdD_2aq4RmHGG6-qkQ28mT-PkyCuUYo7X2L9MxKFUkqlsP5hz1ds4jz9sKV3Xxz-sf0Du8QgONkAm1T1UBDcyjIRn5F-rpQJEDWvjuWkI8fJ.jpg

The answer was the most interesting member of the Visa Journey "Breezy & Me." I too am a teacher and artist. But sometimes it is good to broaden horizons.To get what you really want. A tip sites:

http://www.teacher-world.com/statespages/Oregon.html

http://www.wes.org/application/faq.asp

http://www.teacherssupportnetwork.com/corporate/TeacherToolsAdviceArticle.do?id=16

Timeline

You need to work with whatever place will be issuing a credential. They will tell you where they want to have your degree evaluated at. They may have several choices. Usually the eval is about 150 -200

Hi, Thank you very much for the asnwer. It sure helped!

Hello Rachel,PAAAAFsph7Fl1CKcSdD_2aq4RmHGG6-qkQ28mT-PkyCuUYo7X2L9MxKFUkqlsP5hz1ds4jz9sKV3Xxz-sf0Du8QgONkAm1T1UBDcyjIRn5F-rpQJEDWvjuWkI8fJ.jpg

The answer was the most interesting member of the Visa Journey "Breezy & Me." I too am a teacher and artist. But sometimes it is good to broaden horizons.To get what you really want. A tip sites:

http://www.teacher-world.com/statespages/Oregon.html

http://www.teacherssupportnetwork.com/corporate/TeacherToolsAdviceArticle.do?id=16

That's pretty cool! I loved your art! Congratulations and thank you very much for the tips!!!:-)

Timeline

If you already have a bachalor's degree in education there is a good chance you would only need to take the standardized teaching assessment for oregon in order to teach. Depending on the needs in your state being P/E bilingual could be a major asset (so definitly keep it on your resume / cv). Another place to look is at Charter schools. These are schools built / owned with private money, but receive state money. Many of these since they're techincally private schools hire teachers with degrees / experience regardless of whether or not they are certified in that particular state. I would definitly study / take the exame to get your teaching certificate in Oregon. Good Luck!

PS If you're willing to work outside of your teaching field check online for Portuguese jobs. Some will be in other states, but can be performed over the phone / internet (especially customer service, telemarketing, and helpdesk positions) - Since Brazil is one of the fastest growing economies in the world these days banks and businesses here in the US are scrambling to do business with them. Being fluent in Portuguese can land you a really nice job in industries like sales, customer service, telemarketing, help desk, energy (coal, oil, gas etc) and banking / finance). If you have any major cities near you, I would apply at all the major / national banks. In small towns if you have "bilingual"on your resume, they will probably ask "Oh you speak Spanish??" and possibly be slightly dissapointed if you say no (although I've heard many Portuguese speakers have an easier time learning Spanish then many English speakers). In larger cities, however, many companies have plenty Spanish bilinguals on staff and are really seeking Portuguese speakers in order to do business with Brazil. If it interests you at all, it's worth a shot starting salaries are generally fairly nice. :)

WOW lost of possibilities. Besides Portuguese I speak a little Spanish too. I loved you tips and I will start to do whatever I can to find a good job. Thank you very much for your attention.

Raquel

Timeline

hi Raquel,

Visit www.acei1.com its a complete details on how to evaulate your credentials, I had my credentials evaluated 2 yrs ago, and its cheaper than other evaluation institute. good luck.

Great! I will do it right now! Thank you a bunch!

Raquel

Oh if you have a rhudimentary understanding in Spanish then you have many opportunities. You have a wonderful attitude and will do really well working for an American company. Just remember when interviewing, American employers like confidence, and friendliness. Smile, let them know you're smart and learn fast, and you'll do great. Good Luck!

WOW lost of possibilities. Besides Portuguese I speak a little Spanish too. I loved you tips and I will start to do whatever I can to find a good job. Thank you very much for your attention.

Raquel

Personnel Source, Inc in Eugene Oregon is looking for clerical workers who speak Portuguese and English. Job Description: Contract position scheduled to go up to one year for premier local employer. Successful canidates must have strong data entry skils, good attention to detail and Microsoft Office experience. Additionally, you must be able to pas a criminal background check and drug screen. These positions start at 4 a.m. so please keep that in mind prior to applying. Also, you must be fluent in English and one of the following languages: Italian, French, Polish, Czech, PORTUGUESE, German Hungarian, and European Spanish.. Wages will vary based on experience $13.00 to $20.00 per hour DOE Apply online at www.personnelsource.com

Timeline

Personnel Source, Inc in Eugene Oregon is looking for clerical workers who speak Portuguese and English. Job Description: Contract position scheduled to go up to one year for premier local employer. Successful canidates must have strong data entry skils, good attention to detail and Microsoft Office experience. Additionally, you must be able to pas a criminal background check and drug screen. These positions start at 4 a.m. so please keep that in mind prior to applying. Also, you must be fluent in English and one of the following languages: Italian, French, Polish, Czech, PORTUGUESE, German Hungarian, and European Spanish.. Wages will vary based on experience $13.00 to $20.00 per hour DOE Apply online at www.personnelsource.com

That's great! Thank you very much! I'll apply for this position.

• 6 months later...
Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Ireland
Timeline

I had a similar experience in IN......contact the state board of education directly to find out the requirements....they vary from state to state, in most cases if they can recognize your credentials you will only need to pass the teaching standards exam that all teaching majors take prior to graduating....in our area it's the PRAXIS....i'm not familiar with oregon.

I-130                                                            CR-1

Filed: 1/13/2010                                         NVC Receive: 3/31/2010

NOA1: 1/22/2010                                       Consulate Receive: 3/31/2010 

NOA2: 2/3/2010                                         Interview: 4/26/2010

Approval: 5/13/2010

Date of Entry: 5/17/2010

I-751                                                            N-400

Filed: 2/18/2012                                        Filed: 2/11/2021

NOA1: 2/23/2012                                      NOA1: 2/12/2021

Biometrics: 3/12/2012                             Biometrics: Reuse Notice 2/19/2021

Interview: N/A                                            Interview: 4/6/2021

Approval: 7/11/2012                                Approval: 4/6/2021

Green Card Received: 7/19/2011

Oath of Allegiance: 5/6/2021

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Hi,

Thank you in advance.

Raquel

Yes. Get your transcripts and diploma translated and then send them to an evaluator to have tour credentials evaluated. As the Board of Education where to have them sent. The BoE can also fill you in on that state's requirements.

We used "ECE" Google ECE

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.