Dodobird

Leave country with Advance Parole

17 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

Hi Everyone,

We have a question and hope you can help us.

We had our greencard interview and got approved today. Yay! The card production will take approximately 30 days, the status update says. I DO have my advance parole card and will leave for Germany before I will receive my green card. Can I leave and come back in with my Advance Parole card without having my greencard, yet?

The interviewer at USCIS says, that the card means only that by leaving the country I do not abandon my AOS, but it does not automatically permit the re-entry, that would be under discretion of the officer at the airport in the US.

Am I ok? Or do I need some sort of additional documentation before I leave (on August 29).

Thanks for your help, guys, I appreciate it!

Best,

Dodobird

Your AP is invalid now because your GC is approved. If you already got the approved email, then you should be getting the card in about 10 business days. If you need to travel before then, you should make INFOPASS and get a I-551 stamp that shows you are a permanent resident. Good luck.

Edited by Harpa Timsah

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Filed: Timeline

The above is correct. You might get lucky and receive your card just before you leave the country but if not, it might get very icky.

Do try to get a emergency infopass and get that I-551 stamp so you're guaranteed re-entry! I was even pulled out for questioning when I came back from a ten-day trip home :| They don't mess around with GC holders...

Good luck!

ég eri ekki lengur kalt, hef aftur líf. lifnar mín sál, heiminn mála.

bless bless Þýskalandi! ég elsker þig!

Timeline

Thanks for your help, guys. I do have an infopass appointment on Monday, August 22, 2011 and then leave for home on August 29, 2011. I will get the stamp and I also hope my Greencard will eventually come before August 29. This hassle seems to never end :-(

I have the same situation, and here is my question: If I won't be approved on the interview day ? Can I use my AP to leave the country and come back ? I have interview appointment on August 31st. I do have my AP and I'm gonna leave right after the interview (same day). Any body got i-551 stamp ? Do we have to ask for it or the interviewer will stamp it automatically ?

Filed: Other Timeline

It's not USCIS's fault. You planed your overseas trip too early. It's all about choices, your choices.

I haven't been in Germany since April of 1994. If you leave yourself some breathing room, you don't get sweaty palms when it comes down to meeting the mail man at the door. And, if I may say so: the moment your permanent residency is approved you can't wait to get the hell out of the U.S. What message does that send?

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Roza's GC arrived on Saturday and her interview was on a Thursday. The 30 day line is SOP for them, but it appears that it takes less time. I bet you get the GC before your infopass appointment. I agree with Just Bob that YOU decided to make these plans when YOU knew the porcess takes time. Now you have an AP card that is not valid and you have scheduled an infopass appointment that is going to be a waste of everybody's time. We did not get any stamp nor did we ask for one as we are just now planning a trip back to Kazakhstan.

Good luck,

Dave

It's not USCIS's fault. You planed your overseas trip too early. It's all about choices, your choices.

I haven't been in Germany since April of 1994. If you leave yourself some breathing room, you don't get sweaty palms when it comes down to meeting the mail man at the door. And, if I may say so: the moment your permanent residency is approved you can't wait to get the hell out of the U.S. What message does that send?

The OP didn't even say it was USCIS' fault - where do you get that from? Stop being an ####. It's great that you haven't been back once in 17 years but some of us like to go see our families after being away for a while - maybe someone in her fam is very sick or getting married, it's non of your gd business to get involved in that.

ég eri ekki lengur kalt, hef aftur líf. lifnar mín sál, heiminn mála.

bless bless Þýskalandi! ég elsker þig!

I have the same situation, and here is my question: If I won't be approved on the interview day ? Can I use my AP to leave the country and come back ? I have interview appointment on August 31st. I do have my AP and I'm gonna leave right after the interview (same day). Any body got i-551 stamp ? Do we have to ask for it or the interviewer will stamp it automatically ?

If you are not yet approved when you leave you can leave with your valid AP. If you are approved, then you need the I-551 stamp.

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Timeline

You have two options:

1. They don't approve you right away, then your AP is valid and you should be able to leave.

2. They approve your right away, you get a stamp and you are good to go.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Hi Everyone,

We have a question and hope you can help us.

We had our greencard interview and got approved today. Yay! The card production will take approximately 30 days, the status update says. I DO have my advance parole card and will leave for Germany before I will receive my green card. Can I leave and come back in with my Advance Parole card without having my greencard, yet?

The interviewer at USCIS says, that the card means only that by leaving the country I do not abandon my AOS, but it does not automatically permit the re-entry, that would be under discretion of the officer at the airport in the US.

Am I ok? Or do I need some sort of additional documentation before I leave (on August 29).

Thanks for your help, guys, I appreciate it!

Best,

Dodobird

In Arizona its hot hot hot.

http://www.uscis.gov/dateCalculator.html

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

They are correct, i had to apply for AP for my wife because AOS is so slow. Info pass OFC lectured me about travel without AP for her. It is OK to be flat illegal but one you apply the gloves are off. I applied for AP, for her.

In Arizona its hot hot hot.

http://www.uscis.gov/dateCalculator.html

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Tunisia
Timeline

Ummm.. dumb question: If it is true that persons with AP approval, MAY NOT get admitted back into the US while their AOS is pending, WHAT is the point of getting the AP in the first place & taking such a risk? From my limited understanding, its not really authorization to travel if they can decide on a whim to not let my favorite MENA Arab back into the country after visiting his family for a few weeks. That could be bad. He always brings the best olive oil with him & I will miss it! :whistle:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.