Dodobird

Leave country with Advance Parole

17 posts in this topic

Ummm.. dumb question: If it is true that persons with AP approval, MAY NOT get admitted back into the US while their AOS is pending, WHAT is the point of getting the AP in the first place & taking such a risk? From my limited understanding, its not really authorization to travel if they can decide on a whim to not let my favorite MENA Arab back into the country after visiting his family for a few weeks. That could be bad. He always brings the best olive oil with him & I will miss it! :whistle:

AP is not guarantee of reentry, but it is a myth that it is risky for the vast majority of people. People use it every day.

A person with valid AP would not be denied entry "on a whim." They might be denied if, during the course of their travels, they committed a serious crime and were on Interpol as number 1 most wanted in the world, or if their AOS was denied while they were away (imagine someone who leaves for nearly a year, misses all of the appointments and interviews, then shows up with valid AP and says 'let me in!').

The biggest risk is someone who had overstayed by over 180 days before they sent in their AOS. Their AP will be approved, but they cannot use it for reentry. I think this should be rectified by checking the immigrant records and denying AP to people who have a ban on their heads, but in the current system they don't cross-reference.

So, the point of AP is to travel while AOS is pending. The vast majority of people use it with no issue. They just say it's not a guarantee because it's always up to discretion (like any visa btw), and they don't want to give a legal right to reentry to someone whose entry would harm the people of the US.

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Filed: Timeline

Even a Green Card is not a bulletproof guaranty for re-entry... (although a CO would be silly to not let an 'average' GC holder enter)

What documents do I need to present to reenter the United States?

If seeking to enter the United States after temporary travel abroad, you will need to present a valid, unexpired “green card” (Form I-551, Permanent Resident Card). When arriving at a port of entry, a U.S. Customs and Border Protection Officer will review your permanent resident card and any other identity documents you present, such as a passport, foreign national I.D. card or U.S. Driver’s License, and determine if you can enter the United States.

USCIS

ég eri ekki lengur kalt, hef aftur líf. lifnar mín sál, heiminn mála.

bless bless Þýskalandi! ég elsker þig!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.