gretchen_darren

trying to be upbeat

225 posts in this topic

It's not about the money, money, money

We don't need your money, money, money

:whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle:

It's not about ah! cha-ching!

Not about yeah! ba-bling!

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

next in queue - leader of the band :bonk: :bonk:

October 2008 - we first met each other at work (Makati, Philippines)

February 2010 - we finally admitted that we are in love (yay!)

Mar 18-Apr 5, 2010 - hubby went to the Philippines for vacation to celebrate his birthday

March 31, 2010 - engagement day!! yay!!

August 21-29, 2010 - hubby went back again to PH for the wedding prep

October 19-November 2, 2010 - hubby arrived in PH for our wedding :)

October 23, 2010 - WEDDING DAY!!

March 18-28, 2011 - hubby's visit to Philippines for his bday (2nd bday together)

USCIS Stage - 136 days for USCIS journey

December 2, 2010 - I-130 sent to Chicago Lockbox

December 6, 2010 - I-130 received!! yay!!

December 13, 2010 - NOA1 text message received!

December 16, 2010 - NOA1 hard copy received in the mail

April 28, 2011 - NOA2!!! Thank you LORD!

NVC Stage - 21 days for NVC journey

May 2, 2011 - NOA2 hard copy received in the mail; NVC received our case

May 6, 2011 - Case number and IIN ; DS3230 sent by beneficiary through email to NVC

May 10, 2011 - AOS bill invoiced and paid

May 13, 2011 - IV bill generated and paid

May 16, 2011 - IV bill shows "PAID" ; AOS and DS230 packets sent to NVC

May 18, 2011 - NVC received both packets

May 19, 2011 - Medical exam - PASSED!!! :)

May 27, 2011 - Sign in Failed and Case Complete!!! Woot!

June 9, 2011 - Interview date assigned

July 14, 2011 - Interview @8:30am - APPROVED!!!!

July 21, 2011 - Visa Received! FINALLY!

July 23, 2011 - POE - Salt Lake City, Utah *home sweet home*

Ok, let's be clear here

1) the agreement was after I BECAME part of the family, not before. There was no way I was going to help them improve BEFORE I was part of the family. The condition was IF Gretchen and I get married. AND we talked about a boat AFTER the engagment WHEN Gretchen and I had already decided to marry. I wanted to know know the families needs and how to help improve the family.

2) I try no to be a "kow-it-all" I still have a lot to learn. there is a lot I do not know. However, I am not one of those "can't do people". I like to say it will be done, and get it done.

3) I brought her parents here to Manila to be with their daughter through the process. Spend some time with her. See Manila, but also to show them how conservative I am on money as well. How I do not just throw money around like people think Americans do. I wanted to treat them well. But also show I could follow papa po leadership. This is more about me being submissive to papa ko leadership then me being "THE MAN". This is showing I can follow in papa ko footsteps. This is a very diifficult week for me because I am taking care of her parents as well as her, but at the same time working to make papa ko feel as if he is the leader.

4) thanks for all of the congrats. gretchen has been reading the threads and seeing what I have written as well as others. She is getting a kick out of some of the things. I think the hard part os using the right words to explain the right things. My goal is to help her family up to earn better, to support them to have a better lifestyle without needing monthly support from us in the USA. It requires a longer committment then just walking in and handing over money. But once you life up a person to erning more, it just cascades through any people. My goal is to lift up a person or two at a time in the village. It will take years, anad very concentrated effort. And lots and lots of patience. but once the snowball starts rolling downhill, it will make sense. All a lot of people have seen here, is just someone coming in and fixing this, fixing that, giving them some food, and then leaving. My goa l is not to leave, but to put in the support structure so they can lift up themselves. It will take longer, spend more money, but in the end, it will change the lives of future generations. I don't want to just change the lives of her parents, or of the family clan. I want to change the lives of the children's children as well.

Gretchen and Darren,

Congratulations on your success! My wife and I can really relate to your experiences. Our story is very similar in so many ways. Your journey is just beginning now.

Darren,

I can also relate to you wanting to help her family. We have made efforts to do the same. We have helped a lot but I wish we could do more. I think you are right when you say "I still have a lot to learn. there is a lot I do not know."

With regard to helping her family, talk to others in your same situation and get advice. When talking with her father, choose your words very carefully. Things that are said can be taken more than one way. His expectations may be higher than you imagine. Don't leave the wrong impression with him.

Before I end this message, I would be remiss if I didn't address one concern I have. Maybe you don't care, but you did mention it in the post I'm replying to. In my opinion, you do come across as a "know-it-all" in some of the posts I've read. Maybe it's just your writing style.

Again, Congratulations and best of luck in the future,

Kev n Jena

thumb_Kyle_John_1_email.jpgthumb_Img_2057_web.jpgthumb_Pictures_429.jpg

hypocrit - a person who feigns some desirable or publicly approved attitude, especially one whose private life, opinions, or statements belie his or her public statements.

Pet Peeve for 2011 - supercilious, contemptuous, arrogant, attitudes.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

this thread has taken a quick turn to berating the op for various reasons.

i suggest it quickly get back on track and cease with the thinly veiled swipes at the op.

charles

vj moderation

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Ok, let's be clear here

2) I try no to be a "kow-it-all" I still have a lot to learn. there is a lot I do not know. However, I am not one of those "can't do people". I like to say it will be done, and get it done.

ok, here's a place to start. stop using capital letters on words you want to emphasize. it gives the impression you're trying to come across as a "know it all". sometimes you do it even when giving information which turns out to be incorrect. in your St Luke's Discussion thread you seem shocked and surprised that you could not go inside St. Luke's, yet in one of your previuos threads you acknowledged the fact you might not be able to go inside of St Luke's. In your email you come across as an arrogant " Ugly American". What was your response, you have optic aptrophy and left your glasses in the USA. maybe if you had just admitted you made a mistake, you overacted, you lost your cool due to the pressures of the upcoming week or whatever, you could have nipped in the bud some of the comments members posted in the thread.

anyways, hope the rest of your time in the Philippines is a pleasant one...

US Embassy Manila website. bringing your spouse/fiancee to USA

http://manila.usembassy.gov/wwwh3204.html

tumblr_lhqpc5J9LK1qe0eclo1_r28_500.gif

hahaha! Love this!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

October 2008 - we first met each other at work (Makati, Philippines)

February 2010 - we finally admitted that we are in love (yay!)

Mar 18-Apr 5, 2010 - hubby went to the Philippines for vacation to celebrate his birthday

March 31, 2010 - engagement day!! yay!!

August 21-29, 2010 - hubby went back again to PH for the wedding prep

October 19-November 2, 2010 - hubby arrived in PH for our wedding :)

October 23, 2010 - WEDDING DAY!!

March 18-28, 2011 - hubby's visit to Philippines for his bday (2nd bday together)

USCIS Stage - 136 days for USCIS journey

December 2, 2010 - I-130 sent to Chicago Lockbox

December 6, 2010 - I-130 received!! yay!!

December 13, 2010 - NOA1 text message received!

December 16, 2010 - NOA1 hard copy received in the mail

April 28, 2011 - NOA2!!! Thank you LORD!

NVC Stage - 21 days for NVC journey

May 2, 2011 - NOA2 hard copy received in the mail; NVC received our case

May 6, 2011 - Case number and IIN ; DS3230 sent by beneficiary through email to NVC

May 10, 2011 - AOS bill invoiced and paid

May 13, 2011 - IV bill generated and paid

May 16, 2011 - IV bill shows "PAID" ; AOS and DS230 packets sent to NVC

May 18, 2011 - NVC received both packets

May 19, 2011 - Medical exam - PASSED!!! :)

May 27, 2011 - Sign in Failed and Case Complete!!! Woot!

June 9, 2011 - Interview date assigned

July 14, 2011 - Interview @8:30am - APPROVED!!!!

July 21, 2011 - Visa Received! FINALLY!

July 23, 2011 - POE - Salt Lake City, Utah *home sweet home*

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

LOL... Gretchen got a great laugh out of it too. Gretchen says thank you to everyone who has wished us well. Gretchen knows I am trying to help her family, but also trying to be careful of what is said and what goes on.

The great news is the CFO is done as well. We took time off Wednesday just to relax and watch the rain.

today we went to the CFO. I sat outside and just enjoyed the wind. B_J is right. the place is not easy to find. Look for a Green gate at the top of the bridge saying Good Shepard Convent. (next to a 10 story building) You will not see the SMEF-COW sign form the road until at the top of the bridge across from the convent. the benches outside are true catholic. Painful to sit on. 4 pipes welded together to make benches. (ouch) the bathrooms are around the corner, just follow the CFO sign. (to the right as you are facing the building). there is also a canteen there as well. Cokes as of this time are 12 php. (about 8 oz bottles) you can do all of the CFO at SMEF-COW including the sticker. It took Gretchen 4.5 hours. Talk about a long day. They spent a long time going over experiences in Canada and USA. Bad and good observations made by the girls gone on before. Things to be careful of. things to be sure of. they spent a lot of time talking to Gretchen. then to her and her parents. then finally to me. Yes, I got called into the session after everyone else had left. WE were the last ones for hte day. the parents were there to give their consent becacuse of Gretchen's age. Tey had to sign a letter. I had to promise to take care of Gretchen to SMEF_COW, to her parents and to Gretchen. I also provided a land-line to be reached at. they wanted a land-line and not a mobile line. It took me a while to figure out who to give, Almost everyone I know has a mobile number only. I do not even have land line anymore. I only know of three land line numbers. Then proceeded to be informed of the law in the philippines and age of marriage. the requirements. and the needs I need to take care of as well as jealousy. I was not expecting a counseling session as well. But just took it in stride. After all this has been one weird week. Besides I know I will be going through counseling in the catholic church soon with Gretchen. But everything is now complete.

Things left are: get the visa, at NAIA airport: get the CFO sticker, and pay the travel tax.

So far things are on track. What a wild and crazy time since coming back from the trip in May. My life has been crazy. We got everything done with no problems, but I would not recommend what I am doing for the faint of heart. However, I will say one thing. Many girls have told Gretchen they are jealous of her because I have been with her every step of the way in Manila. For me, I could not let her go it alone in Manila. I just could not take it knowing she was in manila going through the process alone. I know some people cannot afford it, or things happen to where they cannot go. I just know for me, it was not a matter of choice. I had to be there with her. things have worked out so far. But we still do not have the visa yet.

K-1 Visa Timeline:

02/11/2011 - Engaged at her house by her Godmother.

02/18/2011 - Engagement party with relatives - propose in Visayan.

02/24/2011 - K-1 packet sent.

09/18/2011 - POE, Viva Las Vegas, Baby !!!!! Home to Phoenix.

12/10/2011 - Official Wedding

07/05/2012 - Princess Rose born.

07/07/2012 - AP/EAD received.

07/17/2012 - AOS passed. (Birthday for Mama Rayos)

event.png

event.png

event.png

tumblr_lhqpc5J9LK1qe0eclo1_r28_500.gif

lol crippy :shocked: but it was :rofl:

Gemini & Janet:

USCIS:

1/24/11 Married(Happiest Day)

2/28/11 I-130 sent

3/03/11 NOA1

3/21/11 CFO seminar (SMEF-COW)

6/08/11 NOA2 (Thank you God)

NVC:

6/28/11 NVC received our petition(Thank God;)

7/01/11 NVC case # assigned(so happy)

7/05/11 Eligible for further processing( DS-3032 sent via e-mail)

7/07/11 Paid AOS fee

7/09/11 DS-3032 received ^_^

7/11/11 AOS status shows as paid & IV bill invoice e-mailed by NVC

7/12/11 AOS packet sent

7/13/11 IV bill paid(AOS packet received)

7/18/11 IV packet sent

7/19/11 IV packet received ^_^

7/27/11 IV packet on process (God is good all the time)

7/29/11 Case completed at NVC

8/02/11 NVC e-mailed the packet of instructions for interview

USEM:

8/22/11 Medical ( passed)

9/13/11 Interview passed (visa printed), thank God for another blessing ;)

9/16/11 Visa on hand

9/20/11 CFO sticker/ticket purchased ^_^

10/06/11 P.O.E. (Las Vegas via PAL)

lNRUp8.png?k7iCQIPf

"You get back what you give out"

Ok, let's be clear here

1) the agreement was after I BECAME part of the family, not before. There was no way I was going to help them improve BEFORE I was part of the family. The condition was IF Gretchen and I get married. AND we talked about a boat AFTER the engagment WHEN Gretchen and I had already decided to marry. I wanted to know know the families needs and how to help improve the family.

3) I brought her parents here to Manila to be with their daughter through the process. Spend some time with her. See Manila, but also to show them how conservative I am on money as well. How I do not just throw money around like people think Americans do. I wanted to treat them well. But also show I could follow papa po leadership. This is more about me being submissive to papa ko leadership then me being "THE MAN". This is showing I can follow in papa ko footsteps. This is a very diifficult week for me because I am taking care of her parents as well as her, but at the same time working to make papa ko feel as if he is the leader.

4) thanks for all of the congrats. gretchen has been reading the threads and seeing what I have written as well as others. She is getting a kick out of some of the things. I think the hard part os using the right words to explain the right things. My goal is to help her family up to earn better, to support them to have a better lifestyle without needing monthly support from us in the USA. It requires a longer committment then just walking in and handing over money. But once you life up a person to erning more, it just cascades through any people. My goal is to lift up a person or two at a time in the village. It will take years, anad very concentrated effort. And lots and lots of patience. but once the snowball starts rolling downhill, it will make sense. All a lot of people have seen here, is just someone coming in and fixing this, fixing that, giving them some food, and then leaving. My goa l is not to leave, but to put in the support structure so they can lift up themselves. It will take longer, spend more money, but in the end, it will change the lives of future generations. I don't want to just change the lives of her parents, or of the family clan. I want to change the lives of the children's children as well.

1) My wife's Barangay. Neighbor across the street. I nicknamed them "the unforgiven" because 1 of the bunso's said "I will never forgive them what they did". :lol: and, because they are a truely degenerate immoral family. The unforgiven mom and dad sent their 2 oldest daughters (21 / 19) to Manila on a mission, "find a big fish like him". I'm the "big fish". 7 months later, the 19 year old came back with a fish. :o Not the "big fish" the unforgiven were hoping for. :no: The fish she brought was in her belly. Well, her womb to be exact. ;) Not even 6 months later, the 21 year old came home with a womb fish too. :) (true story...and the update is...the unforgiven are gearing up to send the girls back to Manila to try again)

Please be careful when choosng words. A word like.."agreement" used in a... transaction... kind of way... can certainly convey the wrong impression. ;)

2) You're an AmeriCAN not an AmeriCAN'T. :thumbs: (sometimes it's best to just show it instead of blow it. :idea: )

3) OK...whatever floats your boat.

4) Hellooooo...you are posting in a FilAm forum. :bonk: Your desires to help are not unique (here, amongst FilAm couples). :no:

Edited by Crashed~N2~Me

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

@Gretchen & Darren. Darren, glad your concerns in your first post this thread were overcome. Congratulations to you, Gretchen (and Darren), for successfully completing CFO counseling and Guidance session. Thank you, Darren, for additional description for locating/identifying SMEF-COW. Gretchen and Darren, here is hopeing that the rest of your current stay in Philippines will be pleasant, relaxing and full of meaningful time spent with friends and especially family. Wishing the very best of successes to you both now and in the future. --RK and Inday

Edited by RK_and_Inday

K-1
May 4, 2006 - We first meet in Singapore
[March 2008 to October 2011] - RK visits Inday in Philippines; multiple visits
April 11, 2010 - RK proposes on Palawan Island; Inday says "Yes! Yes!"
Apr 4, 2011 - I-129F mailed
Apr 11, 2011 - petition received, NOA1, application routed to VSC
Aug 3, 2011 - NOA2! I-129F petition approved!! Yahoo!!!
Aug 10, 2011 - NVC forwards petition to Manila
Aug 17, 2011 - Petition arrives Manila
October 4, 2011 - Medical passed; thank you for answered prayer!
October 12, 2011 - K-1 Visa approved!! Thank you for more prayers anwswered!!
November 24, 2011 - POE! (Thanksgiving Day) Prayers answered!!!! Many Thanks!!!!
Feb 5, 2012 - Wedding Ceremony!

AOS
June 14, 2012 - AOS filed (EAD & AP concurrently filed also); sent via FedEx courier
June 19, 2012 - text notification indicating receipt AOS package
June 25, 2012 - hardcopy AOS, EAD, AP "NOA1"s (I-797C) received
June 29, 2012 - appointment letter for biometrics received (appointment: mid-July)
July 14, 2012 - Biometrics appointment: complete
July 18, 2012 - Case transferred to California Service Center notice received
August 27, 2012 - Combo EAD & AP card received

April 25, 2012 - Permanent Resident card (conditional) received; Yahoo!!! (no interview)

REMOVAL OF CONDITONS
March 28, 2015 - I-751 filed; sent via USPS priority mail, signature upon delivery requested

Timeline

thanks to all, this week has been fun. I took the family to TGI Friday's to celebrate after the CFO guidanace and counseling session. That was fun. Not used to rice being a side order. they do not like ribs. And the jack daniels sauce was unique to them. the fried mac and cheese was also unique. They found it interesting. Also, they do not like "hot" things. I ordered some "buffalo bites" not knowing. Gretchen's dad just about lost it on the first bite. Also, they did not know what celery is. It was 2,900php for hte meal. Her dad put his hand over his face saying "mahal mahal mahal". It was cheaper then I expected, but I think everyone was happy. right now I am waiting to see how gretchen is coming to America. I thought of taking them to Hooters at SM Mall of Asia, but knowing her dad's conservativeness, not sure if it is a good thing to do. Gretchen has worn shorts out once (shorts you would see at the mmalls on girls), Gretchen's dad had her go back and change even though we were only eating dinner at the hotel. She is still daddy's girl. Friday's was a very unique experience. I do not know how Hooter's would go over with them. (knowing they do not like spicy food as well.) Ah well. plenty of things to do.

K-1 Visa Timeline:

event.png

event.png

event.png

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

thanks to all, this week has been fun. I took the family to TGI Friday's to celebrate after the CFO guidanace and counseling session. That was fun. Not used to rice being a side order. they do not like ribs. And the jack daniels sauce was unique to them. the fried mac and cheese was also unique. They found it interesting. Also, they do not like "hot" things. I ordered some "buffalo bites" not knowing. Gretchen's dad just about lost it on the first bite. Also, they did not know what celery is. It was 2,900php for hte meal. Her dad put his hand over his face saying "mahal mahal mahal". It was cheaper then I expected, but I think everyone was happy. right now I am waiting to see how gretchen is coming to America. I thought of taking them to Hooters at SM Mall of Asia, but knowing her dad's conservativeness, not sure if it is a good thing to do. Gretchen has worn shorts out once (shorts you would see at the mmalls on girls), Gretchen's dad had her go back and change even though we were only eating dinner at the hotel. She is still daddy's girl. Friday's was a very unique experience. I do not know how Hooter's would go over with them. (knowing they do not like spicy food as well.) Ah well. plenty of things to do.

Congrats on your journey and I'm glad to see everything is working out so far!! You got me laughing talking about Friday's. My girl loves the nachos and she never had whip cream before that day, so it was fun to have her try different things. She will be taking her parents to Fridays when they make the trip to Manila for her medical and interview. Unfortunately, I wont be making the trip but her family will be there to help her along the way. Thanks for keeping us updated, and good luck the rest of the way!!

Edited by Edrotar

Timeline

called the embassy. They approved the Visa, Plus printed and issued the Visa on Wednesday. So we are going to check with 2go to see where it is. It may beat us back to her village. :thumbs: :thumbs:

K-1 Visa Timeline:

event.png

event.png

event.png

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

called the embassy. They approved the Visa, Plus printed and issued the Visa on Wednesday. So we are going to check with 2go to see where it is. It may beat us back to her village. :thumbs: :thumbs:

:thumbs: I know this has been a very long journey for you. I'm shocked I was jus approved at VSC 112 days no rfe, sooo happy right now. I can't sleep out of happiness since yesterday lol that is why I am up.

Timeline

Congrats. Your aplication will be at NVC in 2 weeks. Then move to the embassy. You will have her in the USA in just a few more weeks. Best wishes to a speedy journey from here.

K-1 Visa Timeline:

event.png

event.png

event.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.