Danielb4643

Moving MONEY overseas

9 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hi all,

With the interview looming I need to start making plans for the big move.

In peoples experience, what is the best way to move sums of money overseas, I would like to use the best possible way without losing too much in horrible charges.

Can anyone assist with this?

Cheers

Danny n Sami!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

It depend on how much and where

In my experience:

Use westernunion in small amounts (and I mean small), cz using westerunion in small amounts up to 1000 will be cheap and fast

Use banks for big amounts, becuase most of them have a PRICE PER ITEM, which means you pay one price regardless how much you are sending and where

Chase is my bank for example, charge $40.00 per item , so I sent an amount between $10,000.00 and $15,000.00 and it cost me only 40 dollars, while it would cost me 250 to send with wstern, banks takes 3 business days(nearly.

and I do recommend banks if you are not in a hurry though.

hope that answers your question

In westernunion it would cost me

Hi all,

In peoples experience, what is the best way to move sums of money overseas, I would like to use the best possible way without losing too much in horrible charges.

Cheers

Danny n Sami!

Edited by no_where_man

YA ALAH Bless Our Joureny To The End , Ameen

Je T'aime Till My Dying Day

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

It depend on how much and where

In my experience:

Use westernunion in small amounts (and I mean small), cz using westerunion in small amounts up to 1000 will be cheap and fast

Use banks for big amounts, becuase most of them have a PRICE PER ITEM, which means you pay one price regardless how much you are sending and where

Chase is my bank for example, charge $40.00 per item , so I sent an amount between $10,000.00 and $15,000.00 and it cost me only 40 dollars, while it would cost me 250 to send with wstern, banks takes 3 business days(nearly.

and I do recommend banks if you are not in a hurry though.

hope that answers your question

In westernunion it would cost me

Moneygram is a good alternative. They only accept cash, which is a good thing. I go to my local CVS and take care of it there. I've sent at most $500 at once and the charge was around $29. I can't comfirm that as it was a while ago, but it's in that ballpark. Western Union has high fees and if you use your credit card, they zap you there as well. I don't have any experience working with banks, though my fiancee's aunt here has sent larger amounts of money with respectable fees. Hope that helps.

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

Hi all,

Cheers

Danny n Sami!

As others have mentioned, it really depends on how much you're moving. If you're making a move and bringing less than $10,000 I would just bring the cash. If not, comfortable with that, then wire transfer the money to a US bank account. Check out the options available and do the math, then apply your comfort level.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Hi all,

Cheers

Danny n Sami!

Personally I chose to use the post offices's international payment method here http://www2.postoffice.co.uk/finance/making-payments/post-office-international-payments to move my money into my fiancee's account. Very good and easy website to use. And the more you transfer the better the exchange rate.

ROC Timeline

4-26-13------Eligible to file for ROC

6-17-13------Sent off I-751 Package

6-19-13------VSC Received our package. Signed for by K. Fitzgerald

6-24-13------Received NOA in the mail, dated 6-20-13

6-24-13------Check Cashed

7-05-13------Received Biometrics Appointment letter in the mail for 7-18-13

7-18-13------Biometrics done

8-20-13------Case Transferred to CSC for further processing

8-24-13------Transfer notice arrived in the mail today

10-21-13----ROC Approved!

10-25-13----Received approval letter in the mail

10-28-13----Production of 10 Yr Green Card ordered

11-01-13----Card has been mailed!....Received USPS tracking number

11-04-13----10yr Green Card arrived in the mail today....Yay!!

2gsxvmz.png

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Personally I chose to use the post offices's international payment method here http://www2.postoffice.co.uk/finance/making-payments/post-office-international-payments to move my money into my fiancee's account. Very good and easy website to use. And the more you transfer the better the exchange rate.

Brill thank you everyone, I am going to give the Post office a try as I trust them and have used them for other things (Post!)

Thank you again!

DnS

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Or you can open separate bank account and send out debit card. For example, TD Bank uses market conversion for foreign funds and have daily limit on $756 for withdrawal. They charge $2 for non-TD ATM use, but as long as the other ATM doesn't charge fee, you end up paying only $2 for $754 withdrawal at good rate. Beats all money transfers and such.

It's not because things are difficult that we dare not venture. It's because we dare not venture that they are difficult. (Seneca Junior)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Guatemala
Timeline

I opened an ally checking account and sent the card to my fiancee. It's a 500 dollar a day atm limit and there's no fee's on atm world wide. for point of sale purchase it's a 2500 dollar a day limit.

If a certain bank charge a fee for the atm you will be reimburse at the end of the billing cycle.

the only down side is it takes 2 business days for a transfer.

Edited by clarence954

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.