SJG

How to Organize Your Documents

22 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Let's face it, immigration involves endless paperwork and requires a lot of patience. As you dig through piles of documents, it is only necessary to be organize and clutter-free. I would like to share some useful tips as to how I kept my sanity through proper filing and arrangement of important documents.

1. Always keep a file of all the forms you submitted, and the email notifications from NVC and/or USCIS. I print out 3 copies every time and arrange them neatly on separate folders. (One copy for me, one for my husband and a back-up copy). I also created a personal timeline in order to track down our case's progress.

2. Before my visa interview, I neatly arranged my documents using color-coded folders and clear plastic separates. I also placed labels on every folder and printed a cover page for each.

Folder A - Affidavit of Support Packet contains husband's employment certificate, tax records and W2's

Folder B - Proof of Relationship Packet contains billing statements, receipts, email correspondence, money transfers, housing arrangements, contract of lease etc.

Folder C - Wedding photos, proof of travels, family celebrations etc

download-1.jpg

Plastic Separate 1 - Appointment Letter

Plastic Separate 2 - Ds-230 & I-864 (original and photo copies)

Plastic Separate 3 - NSo Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Police Clearance

2011-07-31125300.jpg

Please note that in most US Embassies where interviews are held, the applicant and the consul are separated by a glass window with a narrow, 2-inch sloped slot - this is where you slip the documents they request to view. It is advisable to use FLEXIBLE folders instead of hard or spiral binds because they wouldn't fit.

3. If you are married to an expat whose been working outside the States, you also need to produce Proof of Domicile.

[Domicile. Place where a person has his or her principal residence. The person must intend to keep that residence for the foreseeable future. The sponsor of an immigrant must have domicile in the U.S. before the visa can be issued. This generally means that the sponsor must be living in the U.S. In certain circumstances, however one can be considered to have a domicile while temporarily living overseas.]

We requested my husband's company to issue him with an employment certificate explaining the projects he's handling in Asia and the length of his assignment. On top of my husband's Income Tax Forms and W2s, I also included Form 2555 - Foreign Earned Income. All these documents I inserted in the Affidavit of Support Folder.

4. On the day of your interview, it's always better to come in prepared and memorize important details mentioned in your forms. It's ridiculous if you would have to dig thru your documents every time you need to answer simple questions such as:

- Petitioner's full name (emphasis on the middle name)

- Place of residence in the States

- Your petitioner's employment background

- Wedding date, or the day you and your spouse first met

- If you are constantly travelling, dates when you left and arrived in diff. country, and length of stay.

It creates a positive impression if you remember these things by heart.

5. You have to remember that NOT every consul would like to view ALL your documents. In our case, the consul just asked for the wedding photos but she complimented us for coming in "extra-prepared." So yeah, it's a major plus to carry excessive amount of proof, documents and forms - than lacking.

To everyone who's scheduled for an interview, keep smiling and be charming! I hope you find this post useful and best of luck!

we really appreciate this systemized filing of documents presented to CO thanks for sharing to all VJ members, God Bless!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I have a copy of everything completed on hand - except the original I130 application and proof that my husband sent along with it (we had notarized letters from friends and family verifying our relationship to be a true one). Is it that big of a deal to not have that when I will have everything else and photos from the two weddings we had?

Thanks!

Yesterday is HISTORY

Tomorrow is a MYSTERY

Today is a GIFT, that's why we call it the PRESENT.

vkzhm4.png

• 2 months later...

hi.. i just needed to ask, just to make sure, the I864, will it be coming from NVC then relayed to USEM or we need to have our own copy filled in? please advise..

SERVICE CENTER : California

CONSULATE : Manila

MARRIAGE : Feb 15, 2010

I -130 SENT : April 26, 2011

NOA 1 : May 1, 2011

TOUCHED : May 5, 2011

NOA2 : August 1, 2011

Our I-130 was approved in 92 days from our NOA1 date.

CASE NUMBER ASSSIGNED : Sept. 12, 2011

EMAILED DS3032 : October 6, 2011

AOS FEE BILL PAID : October 11, 2011

IV FEE BILL PAID : October 24, 2011

NVC received AOS and IV packs = Nov. 3, 2011

NVC RESPONSE = Nov. 8, 2011 - RFE for missing proof of relationship with co-sponsor

Mailed RFE file = Nov. 9, 2011

NVC received RFE = November 14, 2011, 9:54 am, PORTSMOUTH, NH 03801

CASE CLOSED = Nov. 18, 2011 :D

MEDICAL EXAM = Dec 20-21, 2011 = PASSED!!!

INTERVIEW DATE = January 6, 2012 = APPROVED!!! ----Our interview took 250 days from our I-130 NOA1 date.

VISA PRODUCTION = January 6,2012

VISA DELIVERY = January 11, 2012

POE = Feb.18, 2012

SSN Received = Feb 25, 2012

GC received = April 5, 2012 (incorrect data entry :((, sent back April 9, 2012)

CORRECT GC RECEIVED = August 22, 2012, granted IR1 (10 year gc)

that's where our USCIS process ends for now.. will wait for the next 3-4 years what we'll do next...

9choykrk1el55.png

um4z3ia1n.png

event.png

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

My experience is from the very beginning I used a number system.

For each document that I ever create and submitted I assign a number and print the number on the upper right corner in red. I even insert the red number marks to the documents before I even print them out. I also keep the electronic files of everything I submitted, and keep a log of exactly when and which document I sent out. I can print out a copy of anything at will any time I need.

It really helps my wife who is not good at English. She can easily identify the documents by the red number mark. Without this number system she would be totally at loss looking at the pile of documents now 300+ pages big.

• 2 years later...
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Tunisia
Timeline

I appreciate your systemized filing of documents presented to CO !! thanks for sharing ^_^

Let's face it, immigration involves endless paperwork and requires a lot of patience. As you dig through piles of documents, it is only necessary to be organize and clutter-free. I would like to share some useful tips as to how I kept my sanity through proper filing and arrangement of important documents.

1. Always keep a file of all the forms you submitted, and the email notifications from NVC and/or USCIS. I print out 3 copies every time and arrange them neatly on separate folders. (One copy for me, one for my husband and a back-up copy). I also created a personal timeline in order to track down our case's progress.

2. Before my visa interview, I neatly arranged my documents using color-coded folders and clear plastic separates. I also placed labels on every folder and printed a cover page for each.

Folder A - Affidavit of Support Packet contains husband's employment certificate, tax records and W2's

Folder B - Proof of Relationship Packet contains billing statements, receipts, email correspondence, money transfers, housing arrangements, contract of lease etc.

Folder C - Wedding photos, proof of travels, family celebrations etc

download-1.jpg

Plastic Separate 1 - Appointment Letter

Plastic Separate 2 - Ds-230 & I-864 (original and photo copies)

Plastic Separate 3 - NSo Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Police Clearance

2011-07-31125300.jpg

Please note that in most US Embassies where interviews are held, the applicant and the consul are separated by a glass window with a narrow, 2-inch sloped slot - this is where you slip the documents they request to view. It is advisable to use FLEXIBLE folders instead of hard or spiral binds because they wouldn't fit.

3. If you are married to an expat whose been working outside the States, you also need to produce Proof of Domicile.

[Domicile. Place where a person has his or her principal residence. The person must intend to keep that residence for the foreseeable future. The sponsor of an immigrant must have domicile in the U.S. before the visa can be issued. This generally means that the sponsor must be living in the U.S. In certain circumstances, however one can be considered to have a domicile while temporarily living overseas.]

We requested my husband's company to issue him with an employment certificate explaining the projects he's handling in Asia and the length of his assignment. On top of my husband's Income Tax Forms and W2s, I also included Form 2555 - Foreign Earned Income. All these documents I inserted in the Affidavit of Support Folder.

4. On the day of your interview, it's always better to come in prepared and memorize important details mentioned in your forms. It's ridiculous if you would have to dig thru your documents every time you need to answer simple questions such as:

- Petitioner's full name (emphasis on the middle name)

- Place of residence in the States

- Your petitioner's employment background

- Wedding date, or the day you and your spouse first met

- If you are constantly travelling, dates when you left and arrived in diff. country, and length of stay.

It creates a positive impression if you remember these things by heart.

5. You have to remember that NOT every consul would like to view ALL your documents. In our case, the consul just asked for the wedding photos but she complimented us for coming in "extra-prepared." So yeah, it's a major plus to carry excessive amount of proof, documents and forms - than lacking.

To everyone who's scheduled for an interview, keep smiling and be charming! I hope you find this post useful and best of luck!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Before today, this thread was 2 years old, and the OP hasn't logged onto VJ for over 2 months. In addition, there's no need to quote (copy) the entire original post when offering one-line comments of praise. Thanks for everyone's awareness.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Closing old thread.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.