XXXXXXYYYY

Things we learned along our path to APPROVAL!!! and being able to overcome the dreaded "red flags!"

10 posts in this topic

So, the first thing we both want to acknowledge is how extremely important and helpful this site has been to us. I am absolutely positive that it is because of finding this site that our journey went so smoothly. THANK YOU VISA JOURNEY COMMUNITY!! and a heartfelt good-luck along the journey for each and every one of you. (L)

We had so many "red flags" in our case that there were times we both felt so helpless and were convinced there was no way we could ever be approved, but yet we continued to pray and persevere...and continued to read visa journey to get more tips and ways to be prepared.

A few of our red flags are... I am the petitioner, a woman, 19 years older than my husband, divorced twice and 3 grown children. He comes from a small village in a country where people don't marry someone this much older, much less who are divorced or have children. BUT... one true reality is... We truly love each other. There are no doubts about this.

We lived together in Nepal for over 6 months after getting married. We started a trekking business and began a life, however when the holidays arrived I became homesick and wanted to visit family in the states. So, we tried to get my husband a tourist visa.. (knowing nothing about immigration do's and don't's...) He was denied. I went to the embassy and complained a lot and was told by a consular that pretty much the only way my hubby would be able to travel with me is to get a green card. So, thinking that was an easy process... :lol: we thought we would do it from Nepal. Boy, did we have a lot to learn.

After realizing the reality of the situation, (and realizing that we could not to financially afford to live in Nepal) I returned to the US to re-establish life and to begin this long, and painful journey. There were honestly days I did not think I could breathe and didn't know how I could possibly live another moment without the person I love most in the world. (L) We spent hours upon hours on Skype, Facebook and Yahoo Chat. Sleep was only an illusion over the last 8 months, as our time difference is almost 12 hours and to be able to talk we both gave up having any kind of life outside of cyberspace.

I followed the directions from this site on what i submitted to the USCIS and front-loaded our petition with every scrap of evidence we could muster. Shockingly, our petition was approved with the USCIS within 4 months.. NO RFE's!! :wow:

Then, following the instructions on Visa Journey on how to fly thru the NVC, we were approved there as well within 23 days and had an interview scheduled at our consulate 5 weeks later!

Because I didn't want there to be any "what if's" I decided to pay the extra $1600 to fly back to Nepal to be there with my hubby for his interview. It was worth it just to see his sweet face again... :ot:

Going to the embassy, was almost a disaster. Before flying here, I had sent an email to the consulate office asking if I could join my husband for his interview. They e-mailed back and replied that I could come with him, but only he would be interviewed. After we arrived at the embassy... they would not let me in!! I complained a little loudly and told them about the email..and finally, I was allowed in. (I was hoping my loud mouth did not do any damage..but just wanted them to see that I was serious about this and had just flown around the world to be here for this moment!)

The interview was easy, according to my husband. (I couldn't hear everything that was being said, but could hear his responses and watched his eyes for any signals...) But, as soon as I heard him say, "Thank you very much sir." I knew it was over! This 8 long months...had come to an end... and our hurdles were crossed effectively! 8 months of worrying... crying...no sleeping... DONE!

They did not ask for ONE SINGLE DOCUMENT!! They checked in the pictures we had taken, but not sure if he even looked at them.

My husband said, the consular watched him intently and stared directly into his eyes for almost all of the interview. He was glad he had prepared for this and never let his eyes shift from looking directly at the consular.

I just want to be able to share this story to give others hope.. even if you feel like your obstacles are huge.. If you have love and your relationship is real... It will be rewarded. (I also prayed a LOT! :) and will now give lot's of THANKS!!! )

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: India
Timeline

So, the first thing we both want to acknowledge is how extremely important and helpful this site has been to us. I am absolutely positive that it is because of finding this site that our journey went so smoothly. THANK YOU VISA JOURNEY COMMUNITY!! and a heartfelt good-luck along the journey for each and every one of you. (L)

We had so many "red flags" in our case that there were times we both felt so helpless and were convinced there was no way we could ever be approved, but yet we continued to pray and persevere...and continued to read visa journey to get more tips and ways to be prepared.

A few of our red flags are... I am the petitioner, a woman, 19 years older than my husband, divorced twice and 3 grown children. He comes from a small village in a country where people don't marry someone this much older, much less who are divorced or have children. BUT... one true reality is... We truly love each other. There are no doubts about this.

We lived together in Nepal for over 6 months after getting married. We started a trekking business and began a life, however when the holidays arrived I became homesick and wanted to visit family in the states. So, we tried to get my husband a tourist visa.. (knowing nothing about immigration do's and don't's...) He was denied. I went to the embassy and complained a lot and was told by a consular that pretty much the only way my hubby would be able to travel with me is to get a green card. So, thinking that was an easy process... :lol: we thought we would do it from Nepal. Boy, did we have a lot to learn.

After realizing the reality of the situation, (and realizing that we could not to financially afford to live in Nepal) I returned to the US to re-establish life and to begin this long, and painful journey. There were honestly days I did not think I could breathe and didn't know how I could possibly live another moment without the person I love most in the world. (L) We spent hours upon hours on Skype, Facebook and Yahoo Chat. Sleep was only an illusion over the last 8 months, as our time difference is almost 12 hours and to be able to talk we both gave up having any kind of life outside of cyberspace.

I followed the directions from this site on what i submitted to the USCIS and front-loaded our petition with every scrap of evidence we could muster. Shockingly, our petition was approved with the USCIS within 4 months.. NO RFE's!! :wow:

Then, following the instructions on Visa Journey on how to fly thru the NVC, we were approved there as well within 23 days and had an interview scheduled at our consulate 5 weeks later!

Because I didn't want there to be any "what if's" I decided to pay the extra $1600 to fly back to Nepal to be there with my hubby for his interview. It was worth it just to see his sweet face again... :ot:

Going to the embassy, was almost a disaster. Before flying here, I had sent an email to the consulate office asking if I could join my husband for his interview. They e-mailed back and replied that I could come with him, but only he would be interviewed. After we arrived at the embassy... they would not let me in!! I complained a little loudly and told them about the email..and finally, I was allowed in. (I was hoping my loud mouth did not do any damage..but just wanted them to see that I was serious about this and had just flown around the world to be here for this moment!)

The interview was easy, according to my husband. (I couldn't hear everything that was being said, but could hear his responses and watched his eyes for any signals...) But, as soon as I heard him say, "Thank you very much sir." I knew it was over! This 8 long months...had come to an end... and our hurdles were crossed effectively! 8 months of worrying... crying...no sleeping... DONE!

They did not ask for ONE SINGLE DOCUMENT!! They checked in the pictures we had taken, but not sure if he even looked at them.

My husband said, the consular watched him intently and stared directly into his eyes for almost all of the interview. He was glad he had prepared for this and never let his eyes shift from looking directly at the consular.

I just want to be able to share this story to give others hope.. even if you feel like your obstacles are huge.. If you have love and your relationship is real... It will be rewarded. (I also prayed a LOT! :) and will now give lot's of THANKS!!! )

Thanks for taking time out to share your experience. If I were you, I wouldn't have made noise at the consulate.

USA

01/08/13 - Approved and GC is order for production on 1/8/14

09/12/13 - Case transferred to CSC. NOA2 received on 09/18/13

08/30/13 - Biometrics Done - No walk ins allowed at this LSC (received on 8/16/13).

08/05/13 - NOA1 (received on 08/10/13)

08/01/13 - Mailed I-751 (received on 8/2/13 - check cashed on 8/5/13)

12/28/11 - Received SSN (applied on 12/20/11, as we didn't get based on DS-230 options)
11/28/11 - Received Green Card (Expires on 10/30/13) - Welcome Letter on 11/17/11
10/30/11 - POE - Houston, TX

Chennai Consulate (40 days)
10/28/11 - Received Visa papers and Passport at VFS
10/25/11 - Interview Cleared Successfully (Spouse was not allowed in)

NVC: (90 days from NOA2 to Consulate)
08/31/11 - Case Completed (Interview 10/25/11) - Received at Chennai on 09/19/11
07/22/11 - NVC Case Number

USCIS: (92 days)

6/21/11 - NOA2 (NOA1 on 3/25/11) - took a month to get to NVC
3/21/11 - I-130 sent to USCIS Lockbox, Chicago.

Filed: Country: Turkey
Timeline

I am so proud of you my friend. You did everything right. You deserve this happy moment and many more to come. I am so so so happy for you and the hubby. Looking forward to you bringing him home. :dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance:

NOA 1 November 15, 2010

NOA 2 August 25, 2011

Closed NVC Ocotber 11, 2011

Interview Date: January 12,2012

Thank you my wonderful God in Heaven.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

Great story!!! Thanks for sharing... Congrats :thumbs:

Married:.................................08/02/11
I-130 Sent:.............................05/21/12

I-130 Packet Recv'd:..............05/23/12
I-130 Touched:.......................05/25/12
I-130 NOA 1:..........................06/02/12
I-130 RFE:..............................09/06/12
I-130 RFE Sent:......................09/14/12
I-130 RFE Recv'd: ..................09/18/12
I-130 Petition Denied:.............10/09/12
2nd USCIS I-130 Petition
I-130 Sent:......................................12/17/14
I-130 Packet Recv'd:.......................12/22/14
I-130 NOA 1:...................................12/24/14
I-130 NOA 2:................................... 05/19/15
I-130 NOA 2 Hardcopy Recv'd: ......05/22/15
I-130 Petition Sent to NVC:.............05/26/15
I-130 Petition Recv'd At NVC:........................06/02/15
Case No. assigned Recv'd over phone: ....... 06/16/15
NVC Welcome letter Recv'd: .........................06/19/15
Agent assigned: .............................................07/06/15
AOS fee paid: .................................................07/06/15
AOS confirmed paid: ......................................07/08/15
IV Bill Recv'd by email:....................................07/21/15
IV Bill paid online:............................................08/01/15
Submit DS-260:...............................................08/10/15
AOS & IV Packet sent:....................................08/11/15
Scanned Date:.................................................08/13/15
Case Completed:.............................................08/31/15
Medical Exam : ...............................................10/28/15
Interview Date: ................................................11/11/15
Interview Date Rescheduled By Consulate : .12/04/15
Results: Approved Admin Review / AP..........12/08/15

Case Returned to USCIS .................................05/17/16

Case Reaffirmed: ..............................................09/18/17

Case Forwarded to Consulate: ........................10/12/17

2nd Interview: ...................................................11/17/17

Case Updated By Consulate: ............................12/28/17

Case Status Changed to Issued: ......................12/29/17
Visa Ready Pick up at Aramex: .........................12/30/17
Visa In Hand: ............01/03/18

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline
If I were you, I wouldn't have made noise at the consulate.
The consulates are U.S. soil, and USCs have every right to enter. If some foreign security guard tried to keep me out, I would play the "USC" card: "Are you an American? No? Well, I am. Explain to me exactly what right you have to keep me off U.S. property?" Upon any resistance, I would insist on meeting with higher authorities until I was granted entry.

OP, that's a heckuva story of persistence and triumph. Much happiness to you, si man!

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Laos
Timeline

Thanks for sharing your journey from beginnings to the end… In having faith, true love will conquer all of the obstacles on his path to meet his/her destiny! And you are a one of the living examples to all of us. Thanks.

The consulates are U.S. soil, and USCs have every right to enter. If some foreign security guard tried to keep me out, I would play the "USC" card: "Are you an American? No? Well, I am. Explain to me exactly what right you have to keep me off U.S. property?" Upon any resistance, I would insist on meeting with higher authorities until I was granted entry.

OP, that's a heckuva story of persistence and triumph. Much happiness to you, si man!

Thank you TBoneTX!! We appreciate your sweet words!!!

I was kinda like that... I told the security guard... 'Listen, I just flew exactly half way around the world to be with my husband for this most important day of our lives...AND I have sent an e-mail to the consulate asking if i could be here...and was told that I COULD be with him... and I am going in!!! :) They made a few phone calls and I was allowed in. The security guard said it was the first time an American has EVER been allowed in during this time. :o

You just never know about these things I guess.... and always pray for your consular before your interview that they be happy and full of love themselves. (L) He did question my husband, "When was the last time you saw your wife?" and my hubby said, "She is here! Sitting right there! Do you want to see her? and here is her plane ticket." The consular just smiled and said "Oh!" B-)

So...in this case. I am glad I stood up for my rights! :dance:

Thanks for sharing your journey from beginnings to the end… In having faith, true love will conquer all of the obstacles on his path to meet his/her destiny! And you are a one of the living examples to all of us. Thanks.

Thank you!!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Lebanon
Timeline

Thank you TBoneTX!! We appreciate your sweet words!!!

I was kinda like that... I told the security guard... 'Listen, I just flew exactly half way around the world to be with my husband for this most important day of our lives...AND I have sent an e-mail to the consulate asking if i could be here...and was told that I COULD be with him... and I am going in!!! :) They made a few phone calls and I was allowed in. The security guard said it was the first time an American has EVER been allowed in during this time. :o

You just never know about these things I guess.... and always pray for your consular before your interview that they be happy and full of love themselves. (L) He did question my husband, "When was the last time you saw your wife?" and my hubby said, "She is here! Sitting right there! Do you want to see her? and here is her plane ticket." The consular just smiled and said "Oh!" B-)

So...in this case. I am glad I stood up for my rights! :dance:

Good for you and Congrats!!! I don't think that the American Embassy in Lebanon will allow me to be with my husband during his interview, however, I will be there. I don't think that it's a bad idea to contact the CO in advance and request your presence. Your trip to the beneficiary's country at the time that he/she's being interviewed may demonstrate to the CO that you both are serious about your relationship and your destiny to be together.

Congrats again and thank you for sharing your story. There are a lot of people out there who have hurdles to leap, especially when your family member/spouse is from the middle east. I pray that all goes well for everyone....inshallah!!!

Edited by Josie-Be-Happy

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.