I AM NOT THAT GUY

Continuing to Dumb Down America: Failing Schools Except from Testing

72 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Ed. Secy: States to get waivers on No Child tests

The Obama administration effectively gutted the Bush-era No Child Left Behind law Monday, giving states a way out of a decade-long policy that focused on holding schools accountable but labeled many of them failures even if they made progress.

To get a waiver from the program, however, states must agree to host of education reforms the White House favors—from tougher evaluation systems for teachers and principals to programs tackling the achievement gap for minority students.

The federal law, which requires every student to be proficient in science and math by 2014, is four years past due for reauthorization. But it's become mired in the increasingly bipartisan mood on Capitol Hill despite repeated calls from President Barack Obama and Education Secretary Arne Duncan for changes to be made before the school year starts. Obama sent an overhaul proposal to Congress 16 months ago.

Duncan has warned that 82 percent of U.S. schools could be labeled failures next year if the law is not changed. Education experts have questioned that estimate, but state officials report a growing number of schools facing sanctions under the law—from having to offer free tutoring to being forced to shut down entirely.

Tired of waiting for Congress to act, Obama has told Duncan to move forward with waivers, said Melody Barnes, director of the Domestic Policy Council for the White House.

"We have a federal law that's an impediment, that's getting in the way as a disincentive for the great work states are doing," Duncan said in a call with reporters Monday afternoon. "That just doesn't make sense at a time when we have to get better faster than ever before."

Republicans bristled at the move.

"I share the sense of urgency felt by state and local education officials across the nation. Unfortunately, more questions than answers surround the secretary's waivers proposal," said House education committee chairman John Kline of Minnesota.

Under the law, states were required to show that a higher proportion of students were reaching proficiency each year—approaching the goal of 100 percent by 2014. Many had planned to achieve their biggest leaps in the later years because they counted on the law being rewritten by now.

The law was passed in 2001 and was up for reauthorization in 2007, but former President George W. Bush was unable to get Congress to address the law's problems during the waning years of his presidency. Obama waited a year into his presidency to introduce a blueprint for rewriting the law.

A handful of states had already filed waivers begging for flexibility, while others simply said they were going to ignore the requirements of the law this year.

Recent high-profile cheating scandals in Atlanta, Philadelphia and Washington, D.C., have called attention to the heavy reliance on statewide standardized testing. Experts say many districts feel pressure to meet the standards to avoid penalties under the law.

On Monday, states including Montana, Minnesota, Kentucky, Wisconsin, Virginia and Georgia announced their plans to file for waivers.

Georgia Gov. Nathan Deal said the federal law "does not give you a comprehensive view of progress being made."

"I think ultimately the people understood that the more they got into and the more the years passed and those percentages began to escalate, that there were significant structural problems built into it," said Deal, who voted for No Child Left Behind in 2001 while in serving in Congress.

Montana Schools Superintendent Denise Juneau said she welcomes the waiver proposal as long as it offers relief from the 2014 deadline. She said her state isn't afraid of high standards and education reform but needs enough time to reach those standards and the ability to institute change in a way that works for Montana.

"They can set the bar wherever they want. They just have to let us have the flexibility to get there," Juneau said.

Through the waivers, schools will get some relief from looming deadlines to meet testing goals. Details on the waivers will be provided to states next month.

Democrats in Congress lined up behind the White House's plan.

"Given the ill-advised and partisan bills that the House majority has chosen to move, I understand Secretary Duncan's decision to proceed with a waiver package to provide some interim relief while Congress finishes its work," said Senate education committee chairman Tom Harkin, D-Iowa, in a written statement.

Duncan said that the plan for temporary relief from some aspects of the federal law would not undermine what Congress is still discussing in terms of revising federal education laws. The long-awaited overhaul of the law began earlier this year in the House, but a comprehensive reform appears far from the finish line.

"What we do in terms of flexibility can be a bridge or transition," Duncan said. "We all want to fix the law. This might help us get closer to that."

"I can't overemphasize how loudly the outcry is to do something now."

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=D9P05V081&show_article=1

Filed: Timeline

Well, ain't it funny how you criticize the federal government getting too much into the business of the states and then you turn around and criticize when the feds get out of the business of the states. You want more autonomy for the states or less? Make up your mind, will ya'?

Instead of holding folks accountable... we'll just lower the standards. Great job!

This is the equivalent of a participation trophy for all schools.

And should the fed be involved? Absolutely not. The federal government has no business doing anything at all with education.

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

NEA to teachers, "We got to protect our phony-baloney jobs!"

I'm not quite sure what unions do in your home country, but here in the United States, the point of a labor union is to protect jobs and secure better pay and working conditions. You should familiarize yourself with American customs and norms when immigrating here.

The federal law, which requires every student to be proficient in science and math by 2014

I just wanted to know what everybody else thinks about this. What has been happening so far is that every year, the percentage of students required to pass the yearly test has gone up in order for the school to be judged acceptable by the federal gov't. Eventually it will be required that every student pass whatever test a state gives. If a school has one student who doesn't pass the test, then the school is not acceptable.

Anybody have an opinion on that?

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

I just wanted to know what everybody else thinks about this. What has been happening so far is that every year, the percentage of students required to pass the yearly test has gone up in order for the school to be judged acceptable by the federal gov't. Eventually it will be required that every student pass whatever test a state gives. If a school has one student who doesn't pass the test, then the school is not acceptable.

Anybody have an opinion on that?

We had standardized tests before, but they've been turned into a tool to determine whether schools and teachers are performing as opposed to a way to identify problem areas. Any parent of a teenager knows that they can only do so much to ensure their child's academic success, just like teachers, yet the prevailing attitude now is that when a child fails, it's the parents and/or teacher's fault.

Edited by DFH

Timeline

The Feds have no business telling the states how we should educate. Abolish the Department of Education. It is the states right to do what we think is best.

Why? Why do you think states have a right to tell parents how their children should be educated any more than the Fed? What constitutional reference convinces you of this?

Timeline

Why? Why do you think states have a right to tell parents how their children should be educated any more than the Fed? What constitutional reference convinces you of this?

It is not the Feds right to do this. At the most the states have a right to set guidelines on school districts if the localities want a school district. It is best at the local level as locally we can judge how much and what level of schooling we want. The most the Feds can do is say that all schools must adopt whatever and that creates a cookie cutter approach that lessens the education overall for a country.

Timeline

It is not the Feds right to do this. At the most the states have a right to set guidelines on school districts if the localities want a school district. It is best at the local level as locally we can judge how much and what level of schooling we want. The most the Feds can do is say that all schools must adopt whatever and that creates a cookie cutter approach that lessens the education overall for a country.

You didn't answer my question. I'm asking you why and what constitutional reference validates your argument? You know, the U.S. Constitution.

We had standardized tests before, but they've been turned into a tool to determine whether schools and teachers are performing as opposed to a way to identify problem areas. Any parent of a teenager knows that they can only do so much to ensure their child's academic success, just like teachers, yet the prevailing attitude now is that when a child fails, it's the parents and/or teacher's fault.

I've been at schools that struggle to meet the required percentages. The federal requirement is relatively new and it's been interesting watching the faces of new teachers as they find out about the requirements. Their first year, they'll find out that we need to get 54% to pass the math test in order to be acceptable. And they bust their a$$ teaching the best they can to get that number. Then the next year they find out the number is 59%, and they work as hard as they can again and maybe we make it, or maybe we just get close. And then the next year it's 65%, (I'm making up these numbers since I don't remember exactly what they were) and the new teacher starts to get a little anxious about the constantly rising number. And finally, that new teacher asks how high the percentage will eventually be. And when they find out that eventually the percentage will be 100%, there is a look of panic in their face. And they quietly admit that there is no way they can get everybody to pass. And all of us old teachers understand.

I guess we've legislated Lake Wobegon.

Timeline

Probably the part that says whatever the constitution doesn't give to the Federal system goes to the states.

And so? That doesn't answer why you think specifically schools are solely under state jurisdiction and not the Fed.