GrayL

My K-1 Sydney Interview Process

23 posts in this topic

Congrats and a BIG thanks for the play by play. Ours is a long ways off but your post helps to make us feel better :)

Brandy + Ben = <3
Dating online since June 2009
Met Feb 23rd 2010
Lived together in US on J1 Visa since Sept 28th 2010
Got engaged on Sept 21st 2011 :)
He went back to Australia at the end of his J1 Visa on Sept 22nd 2011 :(

Sent I129 on 10/26/2011
Received: 10/27/2011
NOA1 dated: 10/31/2011
NOA1 received in mail: 11/4/2011

NOA2!!!!! 01/25/2012 in 86 days! :wow:
Married June 4th 2012 <3

Like "I Support Austramerican Relationships" on Facebook!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Oooh okay, good to know, thank you!! :)

US sized passport photos? Ugh. How do I get those? (Sorry for the billion questions, haha..) I had some leftover ones from when I sent my i-129F that I got taken in a postoffice, so I guess they wont be suitable? d'oh.

Good to see Aussies getting approved! Hopefully soon I'll be writing on here about my experiences with the consulate and fingers crossed, approval! :D

Go here: www.epassportphoto.com

Easiest way.

Lastly they get you to sign the DS-230 part II, they had it all ready to go.

Congrats.

Qn though. You applied for a K1, why did you sign the DS-230 part 2? That's only for married people. I think your IO was probably new. You need to actually apply for your SSN when you get to the US, don't think that you'll get sent one because it's on that form, like I said, it's only for married people so you won't get one that way.

I had to hunt around a bit, but I managed to find enough places to get them, just go to a photo shop and ask around, 'international visa photos' are fairly common, I got mine done at a Camera house and also a local pharmacy!

Yep I went in armed with Australian photos, and they outright denied it! Luckily there was a place near the place I went to get my x-rays done, and I got them there on the same day, so it didn't delay. Honestly, I think so many people make the mistake, when she told me off, it was like a recorded message, all that was missing was the beep.. haha

I said it to the guy that asked as well, but use this when doing AOS (or K1 but you'll be doing AOS next... yay!!) : http://www.epassportphoto.com/ super simple and free to use. You just need to pay to print them at wherever you take them (was 19c at Walmart when I did it), or print for free if you have a photo printer at home.

Edited by Vanessa&Tony

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
They then let me know that I needed to marry within 60 days, and had to go to the USA within 6 months. And also let me know that I couldn't leave until I had my green card.

You CAN leave before you have your GC, but you need to have AP (Advanced Parole - form I-131), but you apply for that when you apply for AOS and it arrives about 2 months after you file for it (unless you expedite). If you leave without AP (and before you have your GC) your AOS process is considered abandoned.

Edited by Vanessa&Tony

Thanks for the details. We all have those same nerves and being able to walk it through with someone is wonderful. Congratulations!!! I wish you all the best and Welcome to the USofA....lol....when you get here!

DALIROYA

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Australia
Timeline

Congrats! my interview was approved the same day! go us!

K-1 Visa

Engaged 25/01/2011

I-129F sent 25/02/2011

NOA1 received 02/03/2011

NOA2 received 31/05/2011

Medical completed 14/06/2011

NVC received petition 21/06/2011

Petition arrived at SYD consulate 28/06/2011

Packet 3 (via email) received 28/06/2011

Packet 3 sent to consulate 18/07/2011

Packet 3 received by consulate 19/07/2011

Packet 4 received (via email) 20/07/2011

Interview date 09/08/2011

Interview PASSED! 9/08/2011

Visa received 17/08/2011

Flight booked 1/11/2011

POE 1/11/2011

AOS - EAD - AP

Date filed: 9/03/2012

NOA: 13/03/2012

Bio appointment: 04/04/2012

Interview: 19/06/2012

EAD and AP card received: 10/05/2012

Thanks everyone, gosh, you are all so kind! :innocent: :innocent:

Now with this out of the way, I just got to quit my job and book the plane, so hopefully I'll be kicking back in Montana within a couple of months! YAY!!!

Thanks everyone, and if anyone wants to pick my brains, feel free to PM me or whatever, totally happy to help with anything I can, it's the least I can do for all the help VJ has been!

Thanks and best of luck to everyone! :yes: :yes:

___________________________________________________________________________________
My name is Gray and I'm originally from Perth, Western Australia, my wife Bry is from Montana.
We met in June 2010, got engaged in November 2010, and married in January 2012!
We are now living together in Montana.

Timeline:

- NATURALIZATION, N400 -

07/04/2015: Applicable for Naturalization

For my full K-1/AOS/AP/EA/ROC process see my timeline here: http://goo.gl/AyNVBd
Check out my Flickr Page here: http://goo.gl/Yx4THU

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.